Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Question re: Abscess antibiotics

02-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Question re: Abscess antibiotics

Has anyone had a perianal abscess that has not healed on Flagyl and Cipro? I'm on day 3 and it's still pretty infected. She prescribed 10 days of Cipro and 21 days of Flagyl.

If you're on Facebook, please join me for daily silliness, inspiration, and IBD in the news at http://www.facebook.com/TheCrohnsDiaries.

"Cats: Because sometimes they really help you."
02-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
KWalker

Cipro and Flagyl didn't do much for me to be honest. Well, it helped while I was on it but as soon as the prescription was done the problems came back. It definitely didn't really get rid of the abscess. I do remember it taking a few days to kick in though. I think doctors would get so much more success with it if they prescribed it for longer. Its like by the time it kicks in the prescription is done.

I hope I didn't ruin your hopes. Can I ask you something though? I've veen asking a few people to try and conclude my own little study. For me personally, my abscess was better when I got rid of my diarrhea. Then when I have diarrhea the abscess drains/hurts more as well. Do you have D as well? I wonder if there's a correlation

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
02-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the response! I do have a lot of diarrhea regularly with my Crohn's and just from the surgeries I've had. The antibiotics have increased the D and it irritates the abscess. I asked my surgeon for some numbing cream and what she gave me doesn't really work, so each time I go it's very painful. I agree with you, that I really can't see how this is going to heal if I'm always going to the bathroom.

Did you end up having to have surgery? She said that if the antibiotics don't work, she'll put me under and cut it open which sounds like a nightmare. How am I going to survive going to the bathroom 10 or more times a day with that type of wound?!

In the meantime, the Flagyl is giving me vertigo, fuzzy tongue, severe nausea, and headaches. My body tries to get rid of it almost immediately. I'm able to stop myself from throwing up with phenergan, but I end up having D for hours after the pill.
02-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
KWalker

I got nausea and headaches as well while on that medicine. I took both at the same time so I couldn't tell you which one caused it but one of them definitely did. I would be concerned about the vertigo though.

I had a ton of problems with mine. I had an abscess that I left for a few years because I was stubborn and then one day I got rushed to the ER and ended up having emergency surgery. I spent 5 days in the hospital, had nurses come to my house and do the packing, etc. The nurses ended up using the wrong kind of packing and it actually caused the good tissue to die allowing the infection to spread. I ended up back in the hospital for more surgery after I spiked a fever of 104 and my body went into shock. I had another surgery where the surgeon had to cut a 7.5 inch incision because the abscess got that big. The surgeon said she has never seen anything like it. Spent another 5 days in the hospital, but then got different nurses to do my packing and I didn't have any other problems. The wound is still open today, but since I got rid of the diarrhea it hasn't been draining or causing me any problems. I think it is getting smaller as well.

A lot of the times though the surgery can be done as an outpatient so you can leave that day. Even as bad as mine was, I felt so much relief after surgery it was like a night and day difference. I was really scared before my first one but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if it meant I would get the relief I did.
02-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh my Lord, that must have been so scary and painful. I've been very fortunate in that I haven't had any fevers. It's at the top and not deep but it's persistent and painful. I went to see the doctor because I couldn't sit down or take the pain any more. It fills up with pus and bursts. It's constantly draining. It's less painful after three days of the antibiotics so I'm feeling hopeful. The surgeon I saw wasn't even concerned about the diarrhea and just ignored me when I said that going to the bathroom irritated it. I'm taking more Lomotil to try to lessen the D.

The vertigo adds to the nausea but I read it's a common side effect. I fell in the shower today, but caught myself and just banged my elbow. :/
02-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
KWalker

Aww, you shouldn't have to feel any of that. I would keep an eye on the common side effects with the abscess and once you start to experience ones like fever to go to the doctor's immediately because the abscess can lead to sepsis. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine before I had surgery.

Mine would always drain, but it seemed like it would fill up every few days and get really sore and then it would pop and relieve pain/pressure. Are you taking epsom salt baths or sitting on a heating pad?
02-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Sailorluna
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Sybil,
have they checked to make sure there is not a fistula involved?

Symptoms since 98
Resection and diagnosis June 2010
3 fistulas
abscess drained 6 times (so far...)
currently 2 seton in place 1 since 9/11 the other 4/14
1 strange small air pocket with an 8 cm sinus track leading into the great unknown
methotrexate weekly
folic acid
2 lomotil
2 Welchol
B12 injections (monthly)
Remicade

_____
Goodbye Humira
Goodbye Cimzia
Goodbye Azathiprine
02-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks, K, I will make sure to look out for the fever and take it seriously. I am doing the sitz baths. I was too scared to add the salt. Does it sting?

Sailor, I went to a colorectal surgeon and she examined me and I believe she looked for a fistula. I'm seeing her on Monday for a recheck and will ask her if she's checking for that. I haven't felt any fistula openings--the irritation is all at the site of the abscess.
02-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Sailorluna
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The opening could be the abscess itself. Mine was.
For me they did an MRI and found one fistula when they went in and did a exam under anesthia a couple weeks later to place the seton they found another one that had not shown up in the mri. I don't think they can tell if it is a fistula by looking.

The epsom salts are great and they do not sting.
02-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I wondered if that might be the case. She really didn't seem very interested in examining me further beyond the painful rectal exam. I wonder if she's waiting to see if the antibiotics clear everything up. If it's completely gone, it can't be a fistula, can it? Wouldn't some draining remain and a hole?
02-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Sailorluna
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
If it goes away and heals all up I think that pretty much rules out a fistula. Thinking back I think my surgeon put me through a course of antibiotics first to see if it went away prior the whole mri and eua too. Good luck with your meds I hope that you heal quickly without any complications.
02-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Epsom salts are a Life saver! The very first time I took flagyl, I thought it had cleared up my fistula (which I didn't know was a fistula, I didn't know what a fistula was and I was in Quebec and the doctor spoke only broken English and my French wasn't very good at the time, so I thought it was a saddle sore). It felt like it was gone, but not long after I stopped taking it, it came back.
02-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It looks like I have formed another opening to this abscess that is constantly bleeding a little bit. I wondered if anyone else has had this happen? It looked like it was getting better but then I felt what felt like a cut and now it's draining in a different location. Fun times.
02-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It looks like I have formed another opening to this abscess that is constantly bleeding a little bit. I wondered if anyone else has had this happen? It looked like it was getting better but then I felt what felt like a cut and now it's draining in a different location. Fun times.
I almost always have a little bit of blood from my fistulas, it's usually not much, though every now and they will kind oaf burst blood and there will be a lot in the toilet.
02-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks, Alli! I wonder if it's not a fistula. I see the surgeon who's treating it again on Thursday but she told me it was a simple abscess and didn't seem concerned about fistulas. I noticed that it seems to feel better after a Humira shot and then slowly get worse again until I'm ready for the next shot. Have you had that experience with your fistulas?
02-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm on Remicade, but I just started it, so haven't noticed any change to my fistulas yet.
02-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
annawato

My Support Groups:
Hi Christina, I was wondering how much lomotil or loperamide you are taking? I take 16 loperamide a day to slow down the output from my ileostomy so you may find you need to take a higher dose for your D. Of course you would want to increase only slowly as I would imagine having very hard poo would also be very painful and irritating. Plus dangerous if you became compacted. Anyway just a thought......

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
02-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My first ever abscess/ fistula was right near the opening of my vagina. At the time I had no idea that this could happen with Crohn's disease. I saw an old school GP who was very terse and uncaring. He actually didn't make the connection between the crohns that he knew I had and the abscess. He instead told me that I must be promiscuous and this abscess was my punishment! He didn't even listen when I said it as impossible because I was a virgin. So from then on I kept the shame and pain of the abscesses to myself until my CRS did a rectal examination and nearly feel over when he saw the extent of the fistulising disease I had been living with. I was very unwell with infection. As Ali mentioned about the burst of blood, that was happening every couple of days, and sometimes not even when I was on the toilet.

Until my illeostomy I was on flagyl permanently with still no relief. I still can't believe how that GP made me feel and the ramifications of my shame. Oh well as one o the members says " you can't change the past, but you can ruin the present worrying about the future!"

: Janette

I meant to have Jano as my user name, but did a typo!

Last edited by Jaano711; 02-26-2013 at 07:04 AM.
02-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #19
annawato

My Support Groups:
Janette that is just awful. What a horrible man. No wonder you kept it to yourself for so long but how terrible that you suffered for so long without getting any proper care.
We can only hope that doctor is now retired or struck off!
I love your quote and have written it down for those days when I am not being strong.
02-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #20
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Anna
I love the quote too. I found it in Misty Eyed's signature. I do think it sums things up nicely.
02-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #21
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I can't believe that doctor, Jaano. I hope he's retired or lost his medical license. What a jerk!

I do think this is probably a fistula. It just bleeds now and doesn't fill up at all with pus. I see the surgeon again on Thursday for a check-up.

Anna, I'm not taking any Lomotil because I'm starting to have obstruction pain again. I thought I was going to end up in the ER, yesterday, after eating veggies the night before so I didn't eat any solid food and it eventually passed and everything started moving again. I can't believe this is happening to me and I'm trying not to get worried about it. I've lasted almost two years without a surgery so I guess I should be happy, but I thought I would last longer than this. To make sure I don't get an obstruction, I've backed off of anything that would prevent going to the bathroom. I'd rather go a million times a day than risk becoming blocked.
02-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #22
annawato

My Support Groups:
Christina I'm very glad you are not taking the lomotil. Sounds like the worst thing for you at the moment. I'm so sorry you are getting obstruction pain again and can understand why you are worried. What meds are you on? Sorry I can't remember. And I don't want to alarm you but I didn't last two years between resections so do be careful. Maybe a strictoplasty would help? At least its not as major surgery. Now I'm trying to be positive after my little bout of negativity.
02-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #23
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ha!! Your negativity was barely negative! You should hear me whine and complain.

I'm on Humira to keep the Crohn's under control. I have other meds to help with abdominal pain and cramping. The pain came out of the blue and it sucks having that fear back in my life again. I'm not sure if they can do a strictoplasty on me or not because my intestines are all fused together from adhesions. Maybe they could. I would definitely check out multiple surgeons. I just hope nothing's kinked and I'll need a surgery no matter what I do. Either way, I'm keeping clear from the Lomotil for awhile although it's not fun having D a million times a day. Now that's negativity for you!
02-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #24
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh Sybil
My heart feels for you. Been there, hate that fear that creeps back with each pain, change in bowel habits etc. If you are off the lomotil because of the pain, maybe the good old sitz bath will help with your undercarriage. another possibility for the big D is to try some panadol with coedine in iy as the coediene will slow down your peristalisis so rather than bulking your contents it will just slow it down. I was first put on coediene when i was in the UK on a working holiday. They dont perscribe it much, but it is great to help with D. I was actually on it for many years, but have stopped it now that i have a stoma.They say that it is very adictive, but can't say that after 15 years i had any problems just weaning off and stopping in a two week period.

Good Luck, I am keeping you in my thoughts.
Janette
03-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
bigtruck

Hi all I've just started a 2 week course of co amoxiclav for a recurring abscess.
03-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #26
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good luck, Bigtruck! Let us know how it goes!
03-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #27
bigtruck

It'll go the same as every other time! Quieter for a few weeks crp down to normal feeling great then crp will jump to 50's still feeling grand and then start to feel a bit off crp will be over 100 and then woosh it'll erupt and the process will start all over again.
03-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #28
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Crohn's sucks. It just sucks.
03-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #29
JodieB

Hi Sybil, I have a very similar situation as you. And as we speak I am back in cipro and flagyl for my abscess/ fistula acting up. I have the same symptoms as you in regards to the meds (minus the vertigo but I do get dizzy) I am yet to figure out how to cope with the meds so if you have any suggestions I would gladly take them! It's awful!

I started with a very painful abscess last may which they needed to do emergency surgery on. It was an outpatient procedure but somewhat of a while before it was completely healed (2.5 months ish) but on the third day after surgery I developed a painful infection on the left side (a fistula had formed and branches to the left and right side). They are still causing regular pain. Mine however are not near the surface. One of probably 8 flare ups with the infection came to the surface in which it was lanced but the pain is back again (3 months later) I am waiting for surgery in May. I empathize with how exhausting and frustrating it is! I hope that everything works out for you!

I also wanted to say that the epsom salts were very soothing after the surgery as long as you didn't put it a ton of salt, then it would sting a bit, but I would put in a handful into the sits bath and it was great! I was wondering though, does anyone know if Epsom salt baths would help with my internal infections? I have found that sometimes it can cause extreme pain afterwards when I used a heating pad when I had my first abscess cause I didn't know what it was. Would it help me now?

Best of luck Sybil!
03-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #30
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Jodie! That sounds really painful. I am so sorry you have so many. Are you on Remicade or Humira for the fistulas? I had one fistula that disappeared when I started Remicade.

I haven't heard of Epsom salt baths helping internal fistulas. I know they're good to remove toxins from the skin and drawing out infection, but I don't think it would help with internal fistulas. You might want to create a new thread and ask, though, in case others know more about Epsom salt or experience pain with the use of a heating pad. It sounds awful. Will your doctor prescribe pain relief? I would ask for some.

Thanks for the advice on the baths!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Question re: Abscess antibiotics