• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First time post UC/Peri-rectal abscess(Fistula surgery) and fecal incontinence?

Well, its my first time posting on a site like this and im finally aware that what i have is somewhat common with otheres who have my condition.
After I retirned from my deployement, i started to take doxycylinefor my acne for about two months and then i started to have bloody stool, losing wieght quickly, stomach bloating and massive pain. after being misdiagnosed two times i was and my health deteriorated fast i was finally hospitalized and confirmed by biosbsy that i have Ulcerative Colitis. COMPLETE LIFE AND CAREER ENDING for me. My HNH levels were at 7.3 and i lost 55 lbs in 6-8 weeks, hitting a lifetime low of 122. after being prescribed the wrong meds for two weeks i was hospitalized once again and finally made way with the correct amount of prednisone and colozal. three weeks later i developed a massive peri-rectal abscess and fistulas. they cut into my rectum/sphincter muscle and drained it. after that its been all down hill again. massive amounts of rectal pain constantly requiring percocet, anal leakage and incontinence. had another surgery on my rectum to stop the fistulas and still have the incontinence issue.
Im 26 yrs old and in the airforce and my career is soon to be over. and on top of that i have all these issues that my doctors are downplaying in my records to prevent me from getting medical coverage when im discharged.
HAS ANYONE TAKEN ANTIBIOTICS I.E DOXYCYCLINE, ETC. AND THEN STARTED TO HAVE SYMPTOMS OF IBD?

Oh did i mention i was also diagnosed with pancreatitis 8 months prior to all of this.. bad luck all around
Meds:
Prednisone 40 mg daily
colozal 3pills 3 times a day
fish oil
multi vitamin
Percocet 7.5/325 & 10/325 for rectal pain
iron tablets

ANY insight or thoughts is appreciated

Hey Shawn, welcome. I wish you joined on better terms but we are all here together for a reason so you are not alone. I personally do not think you got IBD from Doxycycline, I do think that it caused your first flare though. The first one is usually always the worst so get through this and it should get better. If you have been diagnosed with UC then you should have access to Remicade and I highly suggest you start it ASAP. Start it and watch how your life changes back to your old self. It really is a life changer and was created for patients who cannot get symptoms under control. However the good news is that UC has been shown statistically to respond better to probiotics and diet change than Crohns.

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello and welcome to the forum
Like thermo said, I don't think the antibiodics caused your IBD. It has probably been dormant for a while and something such as stress triggered it. I am sorry you are having such a rough time with it right now, but don't give up, it can be treated and you can feel better. Give your body time to respond to the meds, change your diet if you haven't already and eliminate what stress you can.