• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need help with expectations

T

Tracer Bullet

I'm currently extremely confused about what exactly is going on with my body and I'm looking for any information or advice that other Crohn's sufferers have to give me.

I was diagnosed about five months ago. My lower intestine was ulcerated, but I don't know to what degree. My GI said it wasn't too bad, and my symptoms weren't that bad. I basically had alternating constipation and diarrhea for years. What finally led me to see a doctor about it was this urge to defecate several times a time that had started, along with rare abdominal pain (it happened like twice).

I was put on Entocort and Pentasa, and my GI recommended a probiotic as well. I've currently just tapered off the Entocort. However, I really don't think my symptoms have gotten any better. Sometimes I go for 2-3 days without having to move my bowels, and then there are weeks like this week where it's been an almost constant need to defecate.

I don't have any pain or any other symptoms, and the Pentasa should be taking care of the ulcers, so I really don't know what to think. My GI is pretty dismissive and just wants me to continue with the Pentasa and the probiotic indefinitely, but I want my symptoms to go away. I thought remission would mean remission of symptoms as well.

I think part of it is stress-related, as my symptoms are very bad at work and not too bad at other times. Basically I just don't know what to do or what I should be expecting since I have no experience dealing with this.

Thanks for reading this.

C

catfud

Well for a start stress is a big no no! I have recently undergone a lengthy period of heavy stress and as a result it has made me very ill. In terms of your meds it is very touch and go. Everyone reacts differently and what may work for you now can easily stop working for no apparent reason. Getting the right combo of meds to suit you can be a lengthy period of trial and error.

The only thing I can advise is make sure you get loads of rest, avoid stress as much as possible (so easier said than done) Your health should take top priorty over everything. I spent to long pushing my health to one side and it did me no favours! Take note of any side effects your tablets might have so you know what to expect and you can always post here for any questions/support.

Everything takes time you will eventually know what works for you and what doesn't and you'll get better at reading your bodies signals.