• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Aluminum and Magnesium in Crohn's disease

David

Co-Founder
I'm of the opinion that magnesium deficiency plays a role in the pathogenesis of Crohn's disease for many. There has been great discussion of the role aluminum might play in Crohn's disease as well, and our wiki has a well referenced article on that topic.

Today I came across this old (animal) study discussing the interaction of magnesium and aluminum and how low levels of magnesium can lead to aluminum causing neurological disease.

Any thoughts on the idea of, in genetically susceptible individuals, magnesium deficiency leading to buildup of aluminum in the intestines which leads to Crohn's?

I agree that heavy metal injestion is another one of the factors leading to IBD. I like to think that taking things like magnesium, or on occasion bentonite clay products, greens powders (spirulina/chlorella), cilantro or activated charcoal with pectin and psyllium, may aid in this department of heavy metal chelation. Additionally, fluoride is often bound to metals due to its industrial origins and lead leaching abilities on the way to your tap. Living near a smelter seems to be a proven contributing factor.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=39929
www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=46990

Bentonite may be high in aluminum. I don't trust it for that reason. I've never seen the percent aluminum displayed in an advertisement for it. This is what Wikipedia says.

"Bentonite is an absorbent aluminium phyllosilicate, essentially impure clay consisting mostly of montmorillonite. There are different types of bentonite, each named after the respective dominant element, such as potassium (K), sodium (Na), calcium (Ca), and aluminium (Al)."