Share Facebook

02-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
PartlyCloudy's SCD Journey

This is my journey on SCD and how it affects my IBD.

I was on SCD a couple of years ago for 10 months and quit due to all the kitchen labor and missing eating out. My symptoms came back and I've had to finally go on Imuran, which works fairly well but I'm not in any way in remission or feeling as well as I'd like.

Normally it's suggested you try foods and wait to see how they affect you, however, I'm just going to jump right in as with Imuran I can pretty much eat anything.

I am doing a day or so of Intro so today's menu is chicken soup, homemade applesauce, legal grape juice watered down and maybe some asparagus later. And coffee. Refuse to give that up.

STATS:

Weight: 219 ()
Issue: Crohn's of the ileum
Dx'd: 2008
Meds: Lexapro, Imuran 150 mg daily, HRT.
Symptoms: diarrhea/urgency and normal daily, constant slight pull in lower right quadrant, lethargy, low stamina. Occasional mild flare with cramping. Nausea off and on. Rosacea.
Labs: Appt in 2 days.
02-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I look forward to following your progress.
Enteral Nutrition
02-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Woo, I'm tired. This is typical of Intro on SCD so I'm okay with it.
02-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
KWalker

You've got my full support! I'll be subscribing to this thread so I can follow you on your journey. I hope one day you lower your Imuran prescription or come right off.

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
02-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Ya noy

Wonderful! it will be great to have another diet journey to follow.

My husband wouldn't give up coffee either, but the regular roasts did upset his system. He has no problem though with the lighter, low-acid blends.

He normally drinks the Starbucks "Blonde" blends, which currently is currently their Veranda coffee. Trader Joes also sells a good low acid coffee, but there are a number of others.
02-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
KWalker

I didn't give up coffee either, I just use honey instead of milk and sugar. We have a Keurig so we get the light/mild flavors and I haven't had any problems.
02-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Coffee doesn't bother me, but in order to weaken it per the diet I just drink a glass of water beforehand then have my regular strength coffee. With honey. Nut milk is pretty good in it too although I'm too lazy to make that right now.

So, today I didn't stick to intro but had the following:

B-coffee w/ honey, chicken in broth with eggs swirled in, kind of eggdrop soup.
L- Big salad w/ cheese, avocado, cooked asparagus, lettuce, carrots, and cukes with a yogurt/oil/vinegar/chive/shallot dressing.
D-Sauted red/yellow bell peppers and onions, cooked until very, very soft. Steak sauted on that w/ ginger and onion powder and some acorn squash w/ butter as a side. Hubby insists I stock up on acorn squash and make lots, lol.
Snacks - banana and cooked apples.

Symptoms: Gas from the salad (will use cooked veg salads instead for awhile), tiredness and slight nausea/headache. All normal for first part of SCD.

Tomorrow I'm picking up supplies to start a batch of fermented cucumbers. I can't find Bubbies pickles here (legal fermented pickles, delicious).
02-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Breakfast today: Three eggs and 1/4 of an avocado scrambled in butter. I know avocado and eggs sounds awful but it's surprisingly delicious.

02-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Love avocado! Too bad i'm allergic
02-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Oh my, that's too bad, Charleigh.

Felt GREAT today. Honestly, better than I've felt in months and months. I know I've dropped some water weight. And for the first time in a long, long time I don't feel like I have cement lurching through my veins. Probably all the veggies in addition to the effects of the diet itself.

Diarrhea is now....well, brace yourself for gross....pudding consistency rather than the watery stuff it was yesterday. I've only been in the bathroom 3 times today rather than my usual 6-10. Urgency is still there just not as urgent.

FOOD:

B-Eggs and avocado scrambled in butter, coffee w/ honey.
L - Out and about so had to snack on the banana, nuts and cheese I brought with me.
D- Ranch (homemade) seasoned pork chops w/ cooked spinach and raw cukes w/ vinegar/salt/pepper.
Snacks- watermelon.

I also started a batch of fermented cucumbers as I'm almost out of yogurt and don't feel like making more. Plus I've been craving pickles.
02-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Diarrhea back to watery. I'm pretty sure it was all the watermelon I ate yesterday. I finally took an Immodium as I get nauseous when I have D. Had joint pain last night, which kept me awake so I'm tired today. I felt very deprived today too.

Food was sausage and eggs for breakfast, a banana later, small salad of cucumber and avocado with salmon and acorn squash. Yum. I do need to eat more though to keep my energy up. It's a lose-lose if you get too tired to cook on SCD.
02-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
KWalker

what does avocado taste like? I've heard it's pretty silky lol.
02-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
rollinstone

Iv had avo, scrambled egg, and salmon for breakfast like everyday for the past few months haha, taste sensation
02-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #14
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Joshuaaa, I love that combo too. I think I could eat salmon, eggs, and avocado (together or not) every day.

Kwalker, you've never had an avocado? You're truly missing out on one of the finer....and easier to digest, hehe.....things in life. It is silky and very mild with a nutty flavor to my taste.

Until you've had a mayo/avocado/tomato sandwich you've truly never lived!
02-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
ellie

My Support Groups:
I love avocados too - fortunately they're readily available here! Not sure about with scrambled eggs tho.. I'm always careful not to even approach "cooking" an avo
Had a pasta marinara with avo years ago, and was certainly very aware of the return visits!!

HD
02-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
Ya noy

Love avacados, especially in California rolls, or just drizzled with honey French fressing. And guacamole, of course.
02-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
KWalker

Well I guess I need to try one then lol.
02-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Well, I'm not doing so well. I'm very, very tired. I suspect it's because I'm not eating enough due to being disinterested in my choices.

Maybe I need to do the SCD Intro rather than jumping into the more advanced foods I was eating previously on SCD.

Thought last night I'd go off SCD and onto Humira but then I frightened myself back on SCD by looking at the side effects. I'm already fat and in pain. I don't need to pay lots of $$ to worsen that situation.

Sigh......
02-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hang in there! What are you eating? Can you increase your calories? Do you have almond flour? I have found some great winners for cookies, etc if you have blanched almond flour. It gets worse before it gets better. You got this!
02-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
Ya noy

Feeling tired and dragged out is normal during the first few weeks. As you already know, it does get better, so please try to hang in there!
02-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Thanks y'all. The first time I was on SCD I had a single day of tiredness then felt great, so this is kind of taking me by surprise. I also had an almost immediate cessation of symptoms aside from diarrhea whereas this time my symptoms are a bit better but not dramatically so.

I'm also 2 years longer into my disease this time along with 2 years older so I suppose both could be contributing.

I'm avoiding almond flour right now as part of the reason I'm doing this is to lose weight and when I started almond flour last time (in small amounts at first) my weight lost stopped completely. However, if I need to I'll go back on it if it helps me stay on the diet. I'm still considering it.

Right now I'm baking some coconut flour "biscuits" (they're kinda flat) and will eat them with some cheese in a bit. Hopefully that helps.
02-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You may need to bake some to get through the adjustment period and then try to scale back and lose weight once you are over the cravings and withdrawals.
02-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #23
KWalker

I skipped the intro diet and went right into all allowed foods and I felt crappy for the first little while as well. It was awful and I wanted to give up, but once it goes away it feels so great!

Hang in there!
02-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #24
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Goodness me! You haven't tried avocado. I just squeeze on some lemon juice, add a sprinkling of the best salt you can buy and eat with a teaspoon.

I rarely eat prawns now because I find them hard to digest, but we used to serve prawns and avocado as an entree at dinner parties (that was in the dark ages when people had dinner parties. )

We have local avocados all year round - there are four or five varieties that you find regularly in the shops.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
02-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I ate illegals yesterday. Interestingly enough I feel better emotionally. I was having some serious depression to the point of feeling suicidal so figured white flour dumplings were better than death. And dangit I slept better and my good outlook on life is back.

I did not have these problems when I was on SCD previously. It could be a lot of things or a combination. I don't know. I did lose 4 pounds in 5 days, which is water weight I'm sure, but I'm happy about that.

Not sure what I'm going to do. I like Charleigh's suggestion of using nut flours at first until I'm better adjusted psychologically.

I've got a colonoscopy in 2 weeks and think I'm going to talk to my doc about LDN after.

I can tell I ate illegals as my ileum is tender today. That's typical of me non-SCD. Bah humbug.
02-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #26
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think you need to work through the die off and detox period. It IS difficult and it IS a huge adjustment. It will mess with your mind too, as you now know. I think that eating more of the actual diet (baking with nut flours, etc) will help you get through the detox stage. After being on the diet for a few months, then seek to cut out nuts and eggs, etc to lose weight. In the beginning, you need to stay sane.

Honeyville has a coupon out. I will post it in another thread. I have some great recipes I can share. You can do this. Don't let this mistake get you down for good!
02-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
Ya noy

White flour dumplings are better than death, so I would say you were right. A little cheating on rare occasions does not a failure make. When I did Adkins, I checked my ketones daily, and the rare occasions I would cheat, hardly had any effect on those daily tests.

Too often, because they cheated once, people think they failed, and give up, but there's no need. You do not have to back and restart at the beginning. You can jump back on the horse, right where you left off.

When I have cravings really bad, I tell myself that I can and will, hold out just one more day. IF I'm still craving that same food tomorrow, I promise myself that I'll give in then. By that time though, the craving's usually gone.
02-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #28
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
You know, you guys are right. I tend to be all-or-nothing in so many things. I've been wondering WHAT to do and y'all have answered that question for me. I'll get back on the horse. I'll add almond flour products and worry about weight loss later. Who knows, I may lose anyway since this time around is so different than last time. Or I may lose slower and that's okay too.

I really appreciate both of your responses. Thank you!

Charleigh, I'm definitely interested in recipes, especially bread recipes. Sweets aren't really a problem as they're easy to replace on SCD. A decent bread though.....yeah, I'd gnaw my hand off for that. The dog got into the trash and at least he likes the coconut flour biscuits I made.