Share Facebook

05-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #271
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I had a bra that I ordered online from Marks and Spencer (they must be only a British company). It was one of the best bras I've had. I'll have to check into their sports bras.
05-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #272
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
Yes I believe they are British I get all my bras from there
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
05-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #273
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I've never heard of that company but I'm intrigued. I'm quite thrifty and mostly buy my workout clothes from thrift stores/garage sales or clearance racks. The last brand new sports bras I bought were about $6 apiece on the Target clearance rack.
05-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #274
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I remember that they had stores in Canada in the '70's and '80's

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
05-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #275
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Cat - sports bras are one area you want to spend a bit more to get something really good and supportive. I tend to buy high-impact bras even though my workout is technically no-impact.
05-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #276
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Mccindy, I've never been "well endowed" in the chest area (I'm a small B cup) so there's not a whole lotta jiggling going on when I work out. So I feel like I can get away with cheaper sports bras.

Update 5/4/13: I took a rest day yesterday. Haven't had one in a little while, and was so exhausted when I got home from work. I am going to the gym in a little bit. I'm hoping to go for another bike ride tomorrow too. I think I had a dream last night about riding my bike but I don't remember much of it! It seems to me like my bike was morphing into different things in the dream. I guess I really shouldn't have salsa before bedtime.
05-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #277
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 5/5/13. I went on a long bike ride today (well, long for me, about 10 miles I think - I've been meaning to get an odometer for my bike so I know exactly how far I'm riding). I rode from my house to the arboretum and all the way through it! Last time I only made it halfway through the arboretum before I got exhausted and turned around. This time I felt like I could do the whole thing, and it was exhausting, but I did it! I feel proud. I feel really good now, too! My legs were so achey earlier today, hubby and I went to see Iron Man 3 and I got really achey sitting for hours on end in a movie theater. It felt great to get out and get my legs moving.
05-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #278

My Support Groups:
Sounds like a great way to spend a sunday
05-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #279
mccindy

My Support Groups:
sounds like a nice day! We went to St. Cloud for the day which was fun, but I had broccoli for lunch (thought it was mushy enough to be okay) and am paying for it now. Thinking I will have to skip the afternoon elliptical.
How was the movie?
05-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #280
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Mccindy, the movie was okay. The hubby REALLY wanted to see it so I kinda got dragged along, ha ha. It was better than the 2nd Iron Man, I didn't really like that one. As hubby said, "It was weird." The plot was not what I expected. It wasn't bad, just different.

I suspect I'll be getting dragged along to the new Star Trek movie in a few weeks too.
05-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #281
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I'll think of you! I'll be dragging my husband to the new Star Trek too.
05-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #282

My Support Groups:
I'll probably be seeing the new startrek one with my dad. i saw the last one with my ex and his friends. it was really annoying coz they all thought he dragged me along but i wanted to go. then at the end he basically ignored me coz he was talking avidly to his mates about it. it was 10 or more mins till he acknowledged i was there. i should have just walked off and gone home. or would that have been childish?
05-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #283
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Nope, I think you would have been justified! If you go together then you deserve his attention. If you wanted to see it too then he should have been discussing it with you! Good thing he's an ex - sounds like that's what he deserves to be.
05-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #284

My Support Groups:
Aha! Yes. He was kind hearted, but was silly and immature. Which I suppose is allowed at 17/18. I definitely put up with too much in that relationship which I think he learned when I left and could not even entertain the idea of going back. I hope I learned to stand up for myself. But three years on since it ended I haven't been in another relationship... I still feel like I just can't be bothered with the hassle, but I hope thats just the excuse I give myself rather than a lasting effect of that relationship.
Anyway... This probably isn't the place to discuss this although I know Cat will forgive me
05-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #285
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
No worries LMV, it's cool to go off-topic in my threads. I do it all the time myself!

Update 5/6/13: I'm planning on going to the gym tonight to lift weights. It might suck though! On the first Monday of each month, my gym provides free pizza to everyone who comes in. Which means it's by far the busiest night at the gym! And sometimes the pizza smell makes me nauseous. It's gross and it sucks. I could just work out by myself at the gym in my workplace, but the hubby wants to work out too which means we have to contend with pizza night. I'm not looking forward to it, but I'll get through it. Wish me luck!
05-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #286

My Support Groups:
Enjoy Pizza night!
Its public holiday over here and we have had such a lovely sunny day, I've spent most of it in the garden. There is a pub in our village which does Thai food and there is an offer on a Monday night so we are going there for dinner tonight.
I'm really looking forward to it.
05-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #287
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thai food, eek! I used to *love* pad thai before I got sick, but even when I was "healthy", it would give me terrible diarrhea. I would ask for it to be as mild as possible but it was still always too spicy for me. Spices do me no favors, and I believe there were peanuts in it as well which are also a big no-no for me. It would probably kill me now! You're brave, LMV!
05-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #288
mccindy

My Support Groups:
A gym with a pizza night? That seems a bit, well.... opposite of what people are at the gym for! ha ha. I hope it goes well for you and you're able to work out despite the smell. My husband makes the best homemade pizza for me sometimes, but it's looking like I'll have to give that up. Oh well. I also used to love Pad Thai but I don't think I could tolerate it now. Makes me sad, I love love love spicy food but can't have it now? Ugh!
05-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #289
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I don't really understand pizza night. My gym offers tanning too, and I swear a lot of people go just for the tanning & pizza. They also offer free bagels at the gym on a certain morning each month, I don't remember when as I never go to the gym in the mornings. It's a no-frills gym except for that stuff so I don't really get it! I don't do tanning, pizza, nor bagels. I'm there to work out and that's it!

Ooh, homemade pizza is so yummy! I am lactose intolerant so regular pizza is problematic for me. Sometimes we'll make homemade pizza using goat cheese - I haven't had any issues with goat dairy, and it melts & tastes so much better than the other dairy alternatives like rice cheese, soy cheese, etc. It's really yummy!
05-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #290
mccindy

My Support Groups:
That does sound good! I'm also lactose intolerant, so he would buy the good imitation mozzarella, and we'd add gorgonzola and sharp cheddar. OMG so yummy! So goat cheese works for lactose intolerance? I've never tried it.
05-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #291
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
It works for my lactose intolerance! I'm not sure if it works for everyone or not. Give it a try. If there's a Trader Joe's near you, they carry goat gouda which is so yummy. We also have a Woodman's store here which carries goat muenster - I think Woodman's is a Wisconsin-only store though (?). And if I'm remembering right, Whole Foods carries goat mozzarella & goat cheddar. I can't find goat cheese at a lot of grocery stores, but those are the places I've had luck with. Have a look around and give it a try.

I will say, be prepared for goat cheese to have a slightly stronger taste than standard cow cheeses. It's not bad though, it's stronger if you eat it as-is and gets milder if it's melted like on a pizza. Some goat products are wayyy too strong though. I tried goat yogurt once on a whim, and it was terrible! The taste was so strong I was gagging as I tried to eat it. My hubby will eat just about anything, but even he had a hard time choking that stuff down. So go for the cheeses but skip the yogurt!
05-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #292

My Support Groups:
Yumm... I had Pad Thai. It wasn't spicy at all so it was perfect for me.
I'm quite well atm so I probably would have been ok with a little bit of spice. But I don't want to have something spicy the night before work in case the worst happens! I'll save those things for the weekends if I have to. Now I need to try and chill a bit before bed coz it totally feels like a weekend night!! I'll feel shocked when the alarm goes off in the morning. I've had a really nice weekend though.
05-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #293
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: The gym was surprisingly not busy! I think it's due to the warm weather? It's usually busy on any Monday and more busy on pizza Mondays, but it was the quietest I've ever seen for any Monday. I didn't have to wait for any machines to open up! And usually on a Monday, every treadmill is filled, but today only about half were occupied. Very odd! If it's going to be like this all summer, I'll be quite happy.
05-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #294
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Cat - that's one thing I've always liked about this time of year. As it starts to warm up more people decide to run outside or bike or other activities, so that the gym is not as busy and hectic. Bonus! I hope it keeps up for you.
05-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #295
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Mccindy, yeah, I like to get outside this time of year too (I'm planning on a bike ride tonight and I'm hoping to get my kayak out on the water this weekend!). But I lift weights every other day and you can't really do that outside, I have to go to the gym for it. On my cardio days, sure, I will be outside on my bike or in my kayak. But I'm still at the gym at least half the time. So yeah, bonus! Weight lifting is my #1 favorite type of exercise, so the fewer people there, the better for me.
05-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #296
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I am not able to do much weight lifting at all because I have a 20 lb. lifting restriction and no repetitive lifting. If I want to use weights I have to lie on the floor to do it. I've done it but it doesn't work the same! I love my elliptical and I used to really like the arc trainer at the gym. Biking is fun too. I don't think I could kayak with my back but the people I know who do it seem to really enjoy it! I miss running outside but inside working out is cool too, I get to watch movies while I work out!
05-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #297
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh yeah, I love the arc trainer at the gym! It's challenging but fun. I usually do that as my warm-up for 10 or 15 min before lifting weights. That sucks that you can't lift! I have some sort of back issues too, I think related to my arthritis. I have arthritis in both hips - it started on the right and more recently spread to the left, and I think it spread to the lower back too on its way to the left hip. Not sure though, but I see a rheumatologist in a couple months so hopefully I'll find out more then. Fortunately, exercise usually makes my arthritis feel better (jogging makes it worse).

Kayaking is super fun. I used to kayak a lot before I became ill - then when I got sick, my kayak just sat there and collected dust in my basement for a few years. We finally took it out a few times last year (it's a 2-person kayak) and it was just like old times again. We even brought our dog with us in the kayak - we weren't sure if she'd freak out, as she doesn't like water, but she loves it. She likes looking at ducks but will not bark at them ever (I think she doesn't want to scare them away?). And she sits behind me, so if I stop paddling, she'll start nudging my elbow with her nose. Too cute!

It's funny, when we bought our house, two of the big selling points for us were that there's a dog park right nearby and a creek next to the park which looked ideal for kayaking, so we had dreams of getting a dog and a kayak. I obviously didn't plan to get sick, but when I'm in the kayak with my dog, I feel like I've accomplished something that I set out to do and I didn't let illness get in my way.

Quick update for today: Crazy work stress! I definitely need to take a looong bike ride tonight to work through this stress! Fortunately the weather is beautiful and absolutely ideal for a bike ride.
05-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #298
mccindy

My Support Groups:
That is wonderful. You did accomplish exactly what you wanted! We have two dogs and we are considering taking them out in the boat this summer. A little worried that they will freak out and jump out but maybe we'll give it a try.
It's hilarious that your dog nudges you to paddle. Mine will come up to me and nudge me in the leg with her nose if I'm late feeding her or she really wants to go out. It's better than barking I guess!
I hope you get a nice long ride tonight. It's supposed to rain here so I will be hanging out in the basement on the elliptical. I'll think of you!
05-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #299
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 5/8/13. I did go on a long bike ride last night, and it felt good for the most part. For some reason though my booty really was not liking the bike seat on yesterday's ride though! Things are quite sore and a bit swollen back there now. I thought I might have a new hemmie, but fortunately not. Still, not good. I'm lifting weights tonight, that's never rough on the booty so that'll be fine. Tomorrow I was thinking of taking another bike ride, but I'm going to switch to yoga to let things heal. I may take a bike ride on Saturday if things are feeling better.

Mccindy, I would say give it a try with taking your dogs in the boat. Do they have life jackets? My dog is a corgi so she is not a strong swimmer with those stumpy little legs, so we got her a life jacket "just in case". She's never tried to jump out of the boat though, she hates swimming. She just likes to sit there and look at things and sniff the air. She's sort of a spazz sometimes so I'm glad she's so well-behaved in the boat.
05-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #300
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Cat - I'm so sorry to hear you're having trouble "back there"! That sucks. At least you got the ride in that you were looking forward to. Do you have a gel seat on your bike? I have one on mine and it does really help with the comfort.
I don't have life preservers for the dogs, they are pretty good swimmers. I think we'll try it close to shore the first time though, so they can swim to shore if they do jump out! I can imagine a short-legged dog would find swimming challenging! It's cute to think of a life preserver on a dog.