Share Facebook

05-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #331
Ya noy

So, I've been thinking I should add some "before and after" photos so people can see my progress.
Nice!
05-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #332
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
So, I've been thinking I should add some "before and after" photos so people can see my progress. Here's a "before" picture. Please note that this is a terrible picture of me! I didn't know at the time that I was going to embark on a workout journey so I didn't take a proper "before" picture. But this is before remission and before working out. I had just started on Entocort at the time this was taken, I had literally been on it for like a week so I hadn't gained any of my weight back yet. I was about 115 lbs here and skinny skinny! My legs look like sticks. I was playing a ring toss game here so it's hard to see but my arms were skinny too. No muscle mass whatsoever and hardly any weight at all on me. This photo was taken in Oct 2010.

Here's an "after" picture, which I took myself in my bathroom mirror just now. (Please ignore how ugly my bathroom is, we're hoping to remodel it soon!) This is after my workout today so I was sweaty and gross looking, but you can see that I have muscles and more weight on me (I'm at about 139 lbs now).

nice pipes!
05-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #333
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
Cat you look great!

Your muscles look a lot more defined than mine do, I think my arms just kinda look big and slightly more shaped. I can keep working towards your arms!
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
05-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #334
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks everybody for the compliments! LMV, I've been working out for like 2 years now so it's taken awhile for my muscles to get to where they are! And as you can kinda see through my shirt, my tummy is still flabby. It's not flat and definitely no nice ab muscles showing through (they're underneath the flab, really!). So just keep at it, it's taken me awhile to get this far with my muscle tone & definition.

Update 5/19/13: I feel good after yesterday's bike/lift/bike. I was hoping to take a bike ride today, but it suddenly started pouring rain! It was literally sunny and nice out a few minutes ago, then all of a sudden the wind picked up and the clouds rolled in and I started hearing thunder, and then it started pouring rain. So I guess no bike ride for me! I was hoping to do a bit of gardening too but that's also out. Maybe I'll do yoga instead. I did finish up cleaning my house this morning so I got a bit of activity in anyway. I'm not sure if vacuuming counts as exercise though.
05-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #335
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
You look great Cat!! No snarky comments here!!

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
05-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #336
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Cat, nice guns! Looks like you have done some great work getting into shape. It's nice to see the picture of you too, good to put a person to the "voice". I need to do some work on my arms but it's tough because I have to lay down to use weights.

I did get the house cleaning done on Saturday! It was a nice feeling to be done. I got started and just worked my way around the whole house. Probably did a bit too much because the back pain was quite elevated by the time I was done. We did get to go for a motorcycle ride Saturday and grilled out for supper, and Sunday was a nice lazy day with just some sheet changing and washing, and grocery shopping. Good thing too, because I tried a small amount of grilled steak Saturday night (first time since flare started) and had burning belly pain all day Sunday. So no more of that either.....

current diagnosis is undiagnosed (possible Celiac disease)

Colonoscopy done August 2013, no evidence of Crohn's seen, biopsies done and one polyp removed.
Polyp is precancerous adenoma

(Diagnosed with a diffuse astrocytoma (brain tumor) 5/31/13.
Craniotomy with tumor resection performed July 2013. 99% of WHO grade II diffuse astrocytoma removed, MRI scheduled every 6 months to monitor for regrowth.)
05-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #337
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
McCindy, I feel for you, I can't do red meat at all either. I stopped eating beef & pork when I was a teenager. Apparently when you stop eating beef for awhile, your body stops making the enzymes necessary to digest it. So every few years I'll get a hamburger craving and will try to eat one, but about 2 bites in, I get stomach pain and horrible nausea (this was happening even before I developed IBD). It just sits in my system, it doesn't break down and it causes nothing but problems for days. So no red meat for me ever, I just can't break it down at all!

Ugh. I'm so tired today! There were thunderstorms rolling through all last night and I think I woke up every time there was a big boom of thunder. Then at one point I could hear the rain just pouring down and I got a little worried about my basement. Definitely not a restful night! I'm going to hit the gym tonight regardless, but I might not do very well as I'm not running on all cylinders today.
05-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #338
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Cat, I did not know that! I've been eating less and less red meat the last couple of years, but still had some once in a while before this flare happened. So I suppose if I have to stop now I won't be able to start up again even if this flare calms down? boo. I guess it is a good thing I like turkey burgers better than beef burgers!

We had storms all weekend too (I'm sure our system moved over to you, you're not too far away). I woke up all night Friday night because the thunder was so loud! Even the dogs were up and fussing because of the noise. I'm sorry you're so tired. I'm planning on a half-hour on the elliptical when I get home, even though my belly is bad today... I'll think of you and send some mental energy your way!
05-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #339

My Support Groups:
Hmm... Its starting to look stormy here too...
I doubt your storm got here that quick though!
05-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #340
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
McCindy, I'm not sure how long it takes for the body to stop producing those enzymes. I didn't eat any beef for probably 5 years in my teen years, and I would guess it probably does take years, not months. So hopefully once you get this flare under control you'll be able to eat beef again. But yeah, like you said, I use ground turkey in everything! My hubby is a pretty good cook and he LOVES red meat, so he's found ways of making ground turkey taste fairly close to beef. That works for both of us.

LMV, stay safe! We've had some bad storms here lately so I hope you're not getting one of our storms!. Oh, McCindy, my dog hates thunder too. Poor thing, the first of these thunderstorms rolled through yesterday afternoon and my dog wouldn't leave my side. She gets so scared. She didn't bark during the night though so at least that wasn't waking me up on top of everything else.
05-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #341
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I'll stay hopeful for the red meat - mostly I'd miss venison, which I've eaten much more than beef. A steak is nice once in a while though. I like to use ground venison in combination with ground turkey, so the result is still very lean and satisfies my husband's love for red meat and mine for the turkey. The combination is actually very tasty - both of us think better than beef. I'll have to do mine separately now though, and stick to the poultry. Good thing I really like chicken, turkey and seafood! My main source of protein. Along with eggs, which I seem to tolerate so far.

Poor puppy! I feel bad for dogs when thunder scares them, they don't understand it, they are just scared. My wolf-dog that I had to put down in March was terrified of thunder and would try to climb his 130-lb self into my lap! He would be glued to me during all storms. The two dogs I have now usually aren't too frightened but Saturday's storms were pretty violent and loud!

LMV, I hope you get a nice pleasant mild storm and nothing too violent or dangerous!
05-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #342
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I think the enzyme thing mainly affects beef digestion. My father-in-law is a hunter and every so often he'll give us some venison. I can eat a little bit of it without any trouble (haven't been brave enough to try eating a larger amount!). So I'd say try a little venison, and if that goes okay then try a little more.

My dog is afraid of all thunderstorms (and fireworks and any other loud noises), and the worse the storm is, the more scared she gets. During a terrible storm she'll just tremble and she looks so sad. She refuses to leave my side and has to be touching me at all times. The worst is if I have to let her out to go potty during a bad storm - I know she has to go, and she knows she has to go, but she absolutely does not want to go out there. Sometimes I can coax her to go out, but other times she just refuses and holds it. Poor pooch!
05-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #343
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Good to know, I will definitely try a little venison when I'm feeling better than today. Hopeful!

Your poor girl, holding it in.... we have one that will do that too, she'd rather hold it than go out in the storm.
05-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #344

My Support Groups:
I don't think we ever get really bad storms tbh. (touch wood!) When its stormy I really like hearing it in bed coz it feels cozy! People always complain about the weather in this country but I'm not too bothered about it tbh. It could defo be a lot worse!
05-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #345
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yeah, my dog doesn't even like going out in a non-thunder rain storm. She hates water! But oddly enough she loves snow! It's pretty much her favorite thing (well, peanut butter might be her #1 favorite thing, but snow is definitely #2!). I remember the first time it snowed last winter, I opened the door and let her out, and you could just see the surprise and joy on her face when she saw that the ground was all white. She ran all around at top speed, within like 2 minutes my yard was nothing but dog prints in the snow while all the neighbors still had pristine untouched snow in their yards.

LMV, hearing a steady rain is cozy, I agree. But thunder is a whole other matter, especially when it's happening loudly & all night! I'd sleep with earplugs but it would mean I would probably sleep through my alarm! And we get a lot of thunderstorms in the spring so I am sure I will have more sleepless nights soon.
05-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #346
Ya noy

First crack of thunder last night and we lost power--yet again! The rain hadn't even started!

It's supposed to storm again tonight, so I don't imagine we'll have power tonight either. It's been continuous. Ever since last summer when there was a bad storm that apparently damaged and weakened a lot of the power lines. Every time it rains now, power lines break, and transformers pop all up and down our street, sometimes exploding in balls of fire. Just wonderful. Several of our neighbors have gotten generators. We're thinking about it.
05-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #347
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ya noy, it sounds to me like a generator is a good idea! Or at least a good stash of candles, flashlights, and some card games or a fully charged laptop. I'd complain to the electric company each time it happens, too. You might at least get a credit on your bill or something like that, and hopefully it'll light a fire under them to repair the older/weaker equipment.

Speaking of storms, I want to go on a bike right tonight, but not sure if that'll happen. It's been threatening to storm for most of the day, it's been windy and cloudy although so far no storm. I think they said storms are more likely in the evening today though so I'm not sure about that bike ride! I may have to ride the boring old stationary bike in my back bedroom again. Blah.
05-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #348
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I accomplished one of my fitness goals today! I rode my bike all around one of the lakes here. Okay, yes, it was the smallest lake in the city, but it was still a decent ride and was challenging. I'm quite tired now! But feel great too, this was something I wanted to do and I set out to do it tonight. It was really windy and the wind was in my face for about the first half of my ride, and admittedly there were a few times I wanted to stop. But I kept going and I'm glad I did. I get a little more confident in my bicycling abilities each time I am able to do a ride like that.
05-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #349
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
It was really windy and the wind was in my face for about the first half of my ride, and admittedly there were a few times I wanted to stop.
…but then, miraculously, the wind was at my back and I felt like I could go around again but then, it was in my face again so I thought about stopping, but then…

Hahaha!! Sorry Cat! I just had to get back into character
05-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #350
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Nice job, Cat! What a rewarding ride. You are getting into great shape, it sounds like!

We are bringing our bikes home from Wisconsin this weekend so we'll finally get to go for rides again! I'm looking forward to it. There are state bike trails right across the road from our house so we'll be exploring those for a while.
05-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #351
kel
Forum Monitor

Do you have a Nightmare before Christmas shower curtain?
05-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #352
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Kel - yep! We used to have a map of the world shower curtain, which was quite informative to learn all the countries and capitals while on the toilet. The Jack Skellington shower curtain is fine but not nearly as informative.

Mark, sadly that's pretty much true! I wanted to stop when I was riding into the wind, and when I was riding with the wind, suddenly it was easier and I could keep going.

Cindy, congrats on getting your bike back soon! There's a bike path right near my house too and it connects with other bike paths, so I can ride pretty much anywhere in the city. I love how convenient that is and I really like being able to mostly avoid car traffic when I'm on my bike.

Update 5/22/13. Ugh, I feel terrible today! Not sure what's going on, if I caught a bug or ate something that was off or what. When I woke up I just felt a little bit off, like I might be coming down with a cold. I looked in the mirror and my face looked more pale than usual. Then I had a rather rough time on the toilet with loose orange stool (I didn't eat anything orange!) and when I tried to eat something, I got hit with horrible nausea. I took a Zofran which just kicked in so the nausea's a little better, but something is definitely "off" today. It doesn't feel like a full-blown flare, it kinda feels like I'm coming down with something. Yuck! Whatever this is, I hope it passes soon. I'm holding out hope that I'll still be able to lift weights tonight, but I guess it depends on how awful I feel this evening. I hate skipping a workout and I particularly hate skipping weights, as that is my favorite thing, so I'm hoping this passes soon or doesn't get worse. Blah!
05-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #353
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Cat, that sucks! I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Hopefully it passes, but if it doesn't, you should probably skip the weights. Your body will likely need the rest to fight off whatever is going on, and pushing could stress it and make you worse or start a flare. Not that you need me to tell you what to do....
I hope you feel better soon.
05-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #354
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks Cindy. I went home sick from work so I'm on the couch with my heating pad on and that's making me feel a little bit better. I think I am skipping the weights tonight, might do some light yoga if I feel up to it. Just gotta listen to my body and rest for now though.
05-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #355
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Yep, good idea. Taking a rest day now and then is a good idea! Take care of yourself today and hopefully things improve quickly for you.
05-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #356

My Support Groups:
Hope you feel better soon cat! And great about riding around the lake
05-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #357
kel
Forum Monitor

Bone daddy shower curtain = respect
05-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #358
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I want a periodic table of the elements shower curtain

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
05-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #359
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
Thanks everybody for the compliments! LMV, I've been working out for like 2 years now so it's taken awhile for my muscles to get to where they are! And as you can kinda see through my shirt, my tummy is still flabby. It's not flat and definitely no nice ab muscles showing through (they're underneath the flab, really!). So just keep at it, it's taken me awhile to get this far with my muscle tone & definition.

Update 5/19/13: I feel good after yesterday's bike/lift/bike. I was hoping to take a bike ride today, but it suddenly started pouring rain! It was literally sunny and nice out a few minutes ago, then all of a sudden the wind picked up and the clouds rolled in and I started hearing thunder, and then it started pouring rain. So I guess no bike ride for me! I was hoping to do a bit of gardening too but that's also out. Maybe I'll do yoga instead. I did finish up cleaning my house this morning so I got a bit of activity in anyway. I'm not sure if vacuuming counts as exercise though.
Your arms look GREAT!
Doc:"chubby=not Crohns"
GI #1: Pillcam, DX Crohns Humira ordered
GI#2: NOT Crohns; cancel Humira. pillcam stuck X6 wks! RX Entacort!
11/2012 ER SM bowel stricture resection/GB
GI#3: End Entacort. RX Pentasa! Flu symptoms. joint pain follow-neg RA
4/2013 Prometheus Positive/Crohns
Markers flat post surgery
Chronic Arthritis
No Crohns symptoms
On Pentasa
05-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #360
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm still feeling unwell today, although a little better than yesterday (this may be just because I haven't eaten yet today). The good news is, it's not a flare. No chills and no night sweats - so either I ate something that was off, or I caught a virus, something like that. I called in to work again, because if it is a virus, I don't want to infect my co-workers (I wish they'd have the same respect for me and not come in sick!). Going to continue to rest today, may attempt yoga tonight. Just rested up yesterday, didn't even attempt any exercise. I tried eating mac & cheese for dinner yesterday (usually one of my safest foods) and I couldn't get down more than a few bites before the nausea came back. So yeah, just trying to listen to and heal my body, hopefully will be back to my old self again soon!