Share Facebook

02-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #1081
kel
Forum Monitor

The CNS is very fast to adapt - it is the reason people see "noob gains." It happens after the very first workout and will continue to happen everytime you provide sufficient stress. This is why practice makes perfect (for almost anything - piano, bowling, Knitting etc.)
02-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #1082
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ah, that makes sense! (For the most part - I think I will always be a terrible bowler, ha ha.)
02-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #1083
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/26/14: I hit the gym last night. It was busy but not terrible, I was able to do all the machines I wanted to. My least-favorite person was there, bandana guy (I may have a more colorful nickname for him that I can't politely say here, ha ha). He's always wearing a stupid bandana on his head. The really annoying thing about him is that he often just leans on a machine and chats with his friends endlessly (he's the guy I had to give the death glare to when he claimed to be "using" the hamstrings machine, when in reality he was standing 5 feet away from it and chatting with his friends). He will literally just stand there and hog a machine but not use it while talking and talking for 20 or 30 minutes - so annoying! The weird part is, I once saw him actually working out in the gym, he seemed very focused and he was actually lifting weights rather than standing near them and he wasn't chatting to anybody. I guess his friends weren't there that day! But last night his friends were there and they were all standing around next to a machine and chatting as usual. Fortunately, there are duplicates of some of the machines, so I was able to use the other one that they weren't occupying.

Oh, and the really funny part was, at one point I was using a machine that was facing bandana guy and his chatty friends. I saw my hubby walk near them as he was headed for the next machine. He looked up and saw bandana guy, stopped in his tracks, gave him a look, and walked in a different direction. Hah! Hubby used to dislike one of bandana guy's friends the most, I guess there's a blonde guy who's always chatting with bandana guy, and hubby said he was most annoyed by the blonde guy. But I think after last night, he's at least equally annoyed by bandana guy now.

Anyway, annoying gym people aside, I felt really strong last night and pushed myself pretty hard. Did a few more reps than I usually do and I think it's just about time to increase the weight a little bit on at least one machine, so that is a good thing. I did the abdominals machine even though I was refluxing to the point where I was uncomfortable. Fortunately that ended up being okay even though it was risky. I did have some d yesterday and today due to some stress that I was under, but I think I got most of the stress off my back from having a good workout. I don't feel any symptoms other than a bit of d, I'm not fatigued or nauseous or anything. I think Entocort is really helping, even with stress and d I didn't really have a bad day per se. I was still fully functional, able to work out and eat normally, etc. So this is all good!

Today, it's super cold out yet again. We're under a wind chill advisory, I think the wind chill was about -22 when I last checked the weather. Brr! Too cold to ice skate, so I'm going to do yoga on the Wii Fit tonight. I'm interested to see what the Wii Fit says my weight currently is, I haven't checked my weight in a bit. Entocort definitely helps my appetite, so I'm trying to snack healthier (rice cakes instead of potato chips, etc) so that I can maintain my weight rather than gain. I'm at a good weight now so no need to lose nor gain.
02-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #1084
mccindy

My Support Groups:
The happiness usually comes from an endorphin release that comes from strenuous exercise, which is why it can be a stress buster or relieve depression. An increase in blood pumping through the brain brings increased oxygen and nutrients which help the brain function better as well, so exercise does help the brain work better in that way too.

I only got in 15 minutes on the elliptical this morning, but at least I got on there! Still doing my lunges and squats in my office.

current diagnosis is undiagnosed (possible Celiac disease)

Colonoscopy done August 2013, no evidence of Crohn's seen, biopsies done and one polyp removed.
Polyp is precancerous adenoma

(Diagnosed with a diffuse astrocytoma (brain tumor) 5/31/13.
Craniotomy with tumor resection performed July 2013. 99% of WHO grade II diffuse astrocytoma removed, MRI scheduled every 6 months to monitor for regrowth.)
02-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #1085
kel
Forum Monitor

Yup Cindy is right.
02-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #1086
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
So, just a thought - has there been any research into working out & studying at the same time? If my brain is improving with more blood flow while I'm working out, would I be more effective at studying while working out? For example, I am trying to teach myself Korean, and maybe if I did a set of reps and then looked at vocab flash cards as I'm walking to the next machine, or if I had a "learning Korean" audio thing playing on my ipod as I'm exercising - would that help me learn faster and retain more knowledge of what I'm studying?

I do listen to a lot of K-pop while working out, but that isn't really helping me learn the language (I can pick out words here and there that I know, but I'm still years away from being anywhere near fluent).

Anyway! I'm headed to the gym today for weights. Did yoga last night and felt good. Tomorrow I'm thinking I might do the stationary bike for some cardio. There are multiple K-dramas in my hulu queue so I'll likely watch one of those while doing a ride.
02-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #1087
kel
Forum Monitor

I would recommend working out when you workout and studying when you study. Not to be an ass.

If you have an audiotape of "how to speak korean" or something like that you might pick somr stuff up while you exercise. No idea how well it will work for you.

I found it easy to sit at my desk and eat lunch as I was doing rosetta stone German.
02-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #1088
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks, you're probably right. When I listen to K-pop in the car or at home when not exercising, I feel like I do pick up on more words I know than when I'm listening to K-pop while working out. Guess I was hoping maybe I'm subconsciously absorbing some knowledge when working out, but probably not! And I'm betting that getting a "learn Korean" audiotape on my ipod would probably just distract me from my workout and make me forget what rep I was on.
02-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #1089
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/28/14: I hit the gym yesterday and pushed myself hard. Felt good then, feel tired today. It's been a long week and I feel a bit wiped out both physically and mentally. It's also very cold out yet again and going to snow, so my hip is aching a bit. I was thinking of riding the stationary bike today, but I haven't had a rest day in awhile and I feel like I need one, so today will be a rest day. It won't be super restful, I have to clean my house tonight because my parents are coming over tomorrow. My house is fairly clean but I'll still need to vaccuum and clean the bathroom and stuff like that. So I won't be able to just sit on the couch and veg out tonight.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping I'll have the energy to hit the gym in the afternoon/evening after my parents leave. If not then I'll hit the gym on Sunday. Other than gym and seeing my parents, I am hoping to stay in and rest up for the remainder of the weekend. I've been doing a bit of reorganizing in my craft room and I have some sewing projects that I want to work on. Now that my craft room is somewhat organized with more shelves, I have enough room in there to actually sew some things. I have some cute pink plaid fleece and I want to make myself a hoodie from a pattern, I also promised hubby I'd make him a black hoodie - I also have a jacket and a dress that both need to be taken in a bit, and I have a hoodie pullover that I want to put a zipper in so that it'll be a zip-up rather than a pullover. So yeah, sewing time! I kind of do this to myself, I end up giving myself sewing projects. I try on a piece of clothing and it's a good price and I think, it'd be really cute if only I fixed this one thing... so I buy it and I make the alterations myself. But my sewing pile sometimes gets rather large because of my "I should buy this and fix it" mindset. So that's my only other plan this weekend, is to tackle some of the projects I've got in my sewing pile. And maybe someday I'll get caught up enough on sewing projects that I can actually sew myself some workout clothes! I do have a few patterns for things like yoga pants, bike shorts, even a sports bra sewing pattern. I know I could make such cute stuff for myself, if only I had unlimited time and fabric! Oh well.
03-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #1090
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 3/3/14: I had a rather unproductive weekend. Friday, my legs felt so stiff and sore, so I took it as a rest day. I felt pretty bad actually, I was exhausted and my legs felt quite bad. At one point I was at my desk and I kneeled on my chair to get something, and suddenly a massive cramp went through my right leg - hip & thigh were just horribly painful! I got it stretched out and relieved the cramp, but for the rest of the day my right leg felt even worse than the left.

Saturday, my parents came to town. My mom sometimes complains if I don't clean my house quite a lot, so I spent Saturday morning scrubbing my bathroom and vaccuuming up all the dog hair from every corner of my house. Then I had to go outside and shovel because it had snowed, and hubby had already left to go to work, so I had to shovel all by myself. After the cleaning and the shoveling, I was already wiped out for the day! So I had lunch with my parents and they wanted to do a bit of shopping, but they left pretty early (thankfully) because it was snowing kind of a lot. I sat on the couch the remainder of the day and rested up.

Yesterday, I decided to go to the gym. I wasn't really feeling it, it was cold out and snowy yet again and I just kind of wanted to stay in and be lazy. But I knew I needed to do a workout, so I assumed the "fake it till you make it" attitude and hit the gym. I didn't feel particularly good or bad during my workout, just felt kinda average. Didn't push myself particularly hard but didn't totally phone it in either, just sort of coasted along. When I was using the hamstrings machine, though, my right leg was giving me just a few niggles of pain in the same area that had cramped up on Friday. So I cut that machine short so as to not injure myself. All the other machines went fine, and I haven't had any pain since, so I'm guessing the pain was just something leftover from when my leg cramped up. To be safe, I'm taking today as a rest day too (which is good because I'm exhausted today, stayed up too late last night watching the Oscars). Hopefully my leg will be back to normal tomorrow. I hope to go to the gym tomorrow and have a better, more productive workout.

I did get a little bit caught up on my sewing pile over the weekend but still have lots to do. I was feeling so lazy that I didn't do much of anything besides cleaning, shoveling, and gym over the weekend. I did alter one jacket that looks seriously cute now, and I may be able to wear it someday if it ever becomes springtime. We got a few inches of snow over the weekend and it's been miserably cold yet again - my hip is aching a bit today thanks to the cold weather - so I'm not optimistic that springtime is going to happen anytime soon. The robins have started to come back but they all look cold, confused, and angry! Poor things.
03-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #1091
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I have heard people have seen a couple of robins, but I'd imagine the poor little things don't know what to think! I think it's supposed to be actually in the 20s this weekend, so that will be nice, thank goodness. We are planning to stay put. We've been running the last couple of weeks and we're tired.
After taking the weekend off of working out (other than some dancing Saturday night at the wedding) I did get back on the elliptical yesterday and today! Tired though. It's tough to finish.
03-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #1092
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I saw a few robins the other day, but yeah, they did not look happy. I also heard that it's "meteorological spring" as of March 1st (not sure how that's different from the "official" first day of spring which is March 20?). So it should be spring, but it sure is not. We got even more snow last night, ugh! I did hear that we're going to have temps in the 30s this weekend so that's something, but I also heard that they're predicting the whole month of March is going to be more wintry than spring-like. Bleh!

I rested up yesterday so hopefully my leg is fine today. The hamstrings machine will be the real test - I'll probably lower the weight on it by 5 lbs just so that I'm not pushing things too hard. I put some new music on my workout playlist which is always motivating - I don't know what it is, but a workout makes music sound better somehow. My current obsession is 2NE1's new album (they're a Kpop girl group, they're known as the queens of Kpop). Excited to listen to that when I work out today.

If my leg is feeling okay today, then tomorrow I might ride the stationary bike or maybe go ice skating if it's okay-ish weather. If the leg is still giving me pain on the hamstrings machine today, then I'll probably rest it tomorrow. So my workout plans are tentative right now, just gotta make sure I'm not injured or aggravating anything.
03-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #1093
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Well, that workout didn't go so great. About an hour before hitting the gym, my right hamstring started bothering me with some pain just above the back of my knee. I went to the gym anyway, but it was bad enough that I skipped the hamstrings machine altogether. I was able to do everything else - since it was the little gym, there's only one legs machine (which does quads & hamstrings) so my legs mostly got a break. I did mostly arms. I did do the abdominals machine & a 30 second plank, and some squats, and that all went okay.

I wonder if I'm coming down with something though. There have been some people at work lately with colds, and I felt a bit fuzzy during my cool-down. Specifically, I was walking on the treadmill to cool down, and I kept feeling like I was going to fall off! It felt like the belt wasn't moving at a uniform pace. But when I looked at the belt, it appeared to be moving just fine. So I guess I was having a bunch of mini-dizzy spells or something like that? Not really sure. Also, after a workout I normally have more energy, but today I feel more tired after my workout. Something's definitely off besides just my hamstring hurting. Bleh! Definitely a below-average workout, which is frustrating. Tomorrow will probably be a rest day so that I can hopefully recover and get myself back on track.
03-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #1094
kel
Forum Monitor

I was very dizzy fri and sat. I got out of the tub friday and literally almost fell on my face. Allergies can do that. I took a crapload of sudafed for a couple of days and now all I have is a runny nose.
03-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #1095
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I have year-round allergies but they normally don't make me dizzy like this. I slept for about 10 hours last night but still feel kind of loopy and fatigued today, plus I have been coughing a bit, so I'm thinking this is definitely a cold. I'm okay as long as I'm sitting, but standing/walking I get the dizzies. When I get dizzy, sometimes it's due to my blood pressure dropping too low (it's normally low anyway), and I've found that increasing my sodium intake can sometimes help. So I went to the store and bought some potato chips and some cold medicine, I'm hoping those will help me feel better.

It's definitely a rest day today though, I can't do much of any exercise when I feel like this. I'll just have to play it by ear and see how I'm feeling tomorrow. I guess the good news is that my hamstring hasn't given me any pain today, so hopefully that's on the mend. Best case scenario is that I am well enough to do weights tomorrow - that's what I'm aiming for at this point.
03-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #1096
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I saw on FB that you thought you were getting something. I was hoping maybe it was just a brief down feeling, but apparently not. Boo! Hopefully it's just a short thing for you, that sucks.
I did get on the elliptical this morning for about 20 minutes. I am skipping my squats and lunges today because my back was really irritated and sore last night and I'm thinking a light day might be a good idea. One thing I do remember is my PT back in WI telling me that losing too much weight would cause me problems with my back because losing connective tissue could be really back for it with all the issues I have. and that was when I was at about 138 lbs. I'm at 127 now, so I'd imagine that's probably why I'm having so many problems with it. Hopefully after my Mayo visit I'll be able to put some weight back on.
03-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #1097
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I wrote on FB that I was coming down with a cold, that was at like 8:30 PM, and I went to bed right after I wrote that! Slept pretty well but I definitely have a cold. My sinuses are stuffy and I still feel pretty run-down even with the cold medicine helping somewhat. Fortunately the sodium from the potato chips seems to have helped with the dizzies, I feel rather weak but at least I can walk a bit without feeling like I might faint or fall.

I think this is an Entocort thing - when I was on Entocort a few years ago, I got multiple colds and the flu. It must mess with my immune system a bit - I was hoping that being on only 3 mg of Entocort would hopefully not be enough to screw with my immune system, but apparently no such luck. It could just be that I randomly happened to catch a cold, as there has been a nasty one going around at work (of 4 people in my department, 3 of us have had colds within the last week). But I think Entocort may be playing a part since I caught so many colds the last time I was on it. Whatever the case is, bleh! If I feel like this tomorrow, I don't think I'll be able to work out. Yuck.
03-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #1098
kel
Forum Monitor

I have year round allergies as well, and chronic sinusitis. Generally I do not get dizzy/ vertigo except for when it's in my ears.

Also, cindy what makes you think you will lose connective tissue with a few lbs of lost BW? That sounds insane to be honest.
03-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #1099
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I have chronic sinus issues too. I'm not even sure what exactly is going on with my sinuses. When I was a kid, I broke my nose (hit it on the bottom of a swimming pool, ouch!), and my parents didn't want a big medical bill so they didn't take me to the emergency room because they said a doctor wouldn't be able to do anything for a broken nose. Well, a doctor could have at least set it so that it would heal straight but I didn't even get to have that done. As a result, I have a crooked nose and most likely a deviated septum and who knows what else going on in my sinuses. My nose is so messed up that they can only do an NG tube on me through the left nostril, not the right (they tried on the right, they jammed it in about 10 times but it wouldn't go and I had tears streaming down my face!). Someday I'll have my sinuses properly looked at. The sinuses have kind of always taken a backseat to my other health issues.

Kel, Cindy's got tons of back issues and I believe she's had her entire lower back surgically fused (correct me if I'm wrong!). I therefore presume that her connective tissue around the spine has already been compromised due to surgery & degenerative stuff going on?
03-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #1100
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 3/6/14: I'm thinking the gym is not happening today. My cold is somewhat better, but still not great. Also, I woke up with pain in my back - it's in the middle of the left side, it feels like muscle pain. I am thinking I probably just slept on it funny or something like that. Stretching it seems to help, so I'm planning to do some yoga tonight to really properly stretch it out. I think I can handle yoga with a cold and it should help my back and my hamstring too, so that's the plan. Presuming all goes well and I feel okay, I'll go back to the gym tomorrow.

Oh, and with this back pain I was hoping I could get a massage - but nope, my massage therapist has norovirus, so I don't want him coming anywhere near me right now! I'd rather deal with back pain than with norovirus!
03-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #1101
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Kel - Basically, as Cat said, I have degenerative disk disease, and had my L5-S1 disk and L4-L5 disk removed and fused in 2003, and my L3-L4 disk partially removed in 2010. I have a lot of issues with my L3 nerve channel and I'm very thin so I don't have much tissue and musculature between the fusion and my back. I also have problems with nearly constant muscle spasms. The PT I saw for years said that because of all of the scar tissue and the fusion that if I lost too much weight I would have problems with losing connective tissue around the fusion site.

Cat - that sinus stuff is really tough for you. I hope you are able to get through that . One thing helps you and causes another issue. And I know how much you hate to miss your workouts!
03-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #1102
kel
Forum Monitor

I see.
03-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #1103
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 3/7/14: I did yoga last night and fortunately that went great. I'm feeling somewhat better today - back pain is gone, hamstring hasn't bothered me for over 24 hours, and my cold is mostly gone I think. I'm kind of tired and still rather sniffly but that's about it. So I'm going to hit the gym today! I will do everything, including the hamstrings machine. If it gives me pain again then I'll stop.

I'm looking forward to a proper relaxing weekend. I have no plans and it's not supposed to snow, so I won't have to shovel! I'm going to do some stuff around the house and I'll do some exercise of course too. I'm thinking I'll walk my dog tomorrow, and I might either go snowshoeing or ice skating. Sunday I'll go to the gym for weights.

Oh, while I'm thinking of it - Kel, I have a question for you since you know a lot about this kind of stuff (anyone else who knows the answer can feel free to chime in too). I have heard the phrase, "Abs are made in the kitchen." Meaning diet is more important than exercise for having a 6-pack I guess? But what specifically does it mean? Does it just mean that you need to be thin enough/not eat so much so that you don't have a lot of abdominal flab and that your muscles can show through? Or does it mean a specific diet, like you should eat more protein to help your abs develop and show? I'm wondering because I have a little bit of abdominal flab (thanks, Entocort) and I also tend to bloat out as the day goes on which seems to happen regardless of what I eat (though certain foods or just plain overeating will of course make it worse). I'm just kind of thinking out loud here, I can't really see my ab muscles because of the little bit of flab & bloat. If I lose a few lbs and ditch the flab, is that all I really need to do? Or do I need to eat certain things and try to get the bloat under control too? What's the best method and what does that phrase really mean?

Edited to add: I should say my current height and weight - I'm 5'8" and currently about 137 lbs, which is well within the "healthy" range for BMI (I know, BMI isn't the best indicator). I'm not too thin and I'm not overweight, I just have a teensy bit of flab. When I was super sick 4 years ago, I lost 20 lbs and dropped down to 115 which was approaching scary-skinny. Then I was on Entocort for 7 months and I gained about 25 lbs during that time, but it all came back as fat and a lot of it settled around my midsection (I always had a flat belly until my first round of Entocort). So I don't actually need to lose weight, but if losing a few lbs (ideally staying above 130 lbs) is what it'll take, then I'm willing to try in order to actually be able to see my abs.
03-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #1104
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Basically, when it comes to things like 6-pack abs, either you can get low enough body fat to show them or you can't. Everyone carries body fat differently. If you work out enough that your body is in the kind of shape that will have muscle definition in that area of your body, and your body fat is low enough, the abdominal definition will show through. Some people carry more fat in their midsection and would have to get to a pretty low body fat percentage for that to happen as opposed to a person who carries more fat in his or her legs/buttocks.

I'm certainly no expert, so kel, if you have more info in this area, please add.
03-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #1105
kel
Forum Monitor

Did you have a six pack when you lost all that weight? If you couldn't see your abs then I don't suggest focusing on a six pack. Yes, if you are already working out the key variable to manipulate is your diet. You will need to lose bodyfat, which will be very difficult while you are on steroids (they are catabolic and make you retain water). I typed up a bit on this for a client the other day.

Defined abdominals (like all muscles really) are a function of low bodyfat and your own genetics (also manipulating carb and sodium intake can enhance definition). From all the literature I have read on the subject having a low enough bodyfat to have a really shredded six pack is quite unhealthy for women, it messes with your hormones and can screw up your cycle and even cause fertility issues down the line. Sometimes called "athletic amenorrhea." Males encounter health issues too but at a much lower bodyfat than women.

To illustrate, something like this would be reasonably obtainable for a healthy, athletic woman (this is a bit arbitrary but it hopefully gives a little better idea of different levels of bodyfat)

Not so much this
03-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #1106
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Cindy - Ah, I see. I should find out what my percentage of body fat is, that'd be interesting to know. Is that the kind of thing my GP can measure? I see him next week so I can ask about it then.

As for where I carry my weight - it always tended to be more on my hips & booty area, I've always been a bit of a pear shape (I've always been thin, but the booty has always been just a little bit too big & wide for the rest of my frame). It wasn't until Entocort that I started carrying a bit of fat in the belly area too. So I feel like, this isn't necessarily my genetics to carry flab on my tummy area. But it's stuck around for 3ish years now so maybe this is just my new normal? When I first started working out, I was able to maintain my weight while lifting weights - so it seemed like I must therefore be converting flab into muscle, and I further assumed that it'd only be a matter of time before the belly became muscular and not flabby. But 3 years later and it's still not cute, ha ha. This isn't a huge deal, my fitness goal was never to look cute or have a visible 6-pack, but at the same time I am sick of the belly flab and want to know what my options are for getting rid of it, you know? I've maintained my weight pretty well for 3 years now so I guess my thought was that if I lose a few lbs then maybe I'll look fitter and less flabby in that area.
03-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #1107
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Kel, thanks - um, yikes, that bottom photo is pretty scary, I am not aiming for that much definition! Honestly, the reason this even came up is, one of my favorite K-pop singers just revealed that she's got cute abs. She reminds me of me, she's adorable and dorky and she honestly can't sing nor dance very well, ha ha. So I kind of relate to her, and when I saw that she's got really cute abs, I admittedly got a little bit jealous. She doesn't even have a 6-pack, just some cute definition and no flab. That's all I really want.

But as you said, she's really thin, so I think that's why she has cute abs. There's a picture of her in the link below - as you can see, she's really thin and tiny.

http://www.soompi.com/2014/03/02/2ne...ng-world-tour/

But basically what you're saying, in a nutshell, is that if I try to limit sodium intake (not always the easiest since I tend to lose sodium fast when I'm dehydrated) and my carb intake and try to lose a few lbs, I might get somewhere approaching Dara's abs or the top photo that you posted? I think I can do that.

Edited to add: No, I didn't have a 6-pack when I lost 20 lbs, I've never had a visible 6-pack. Up until I got sick, I had a flat tummy - no definition but no flab either. When I got sick and lost the weight, my belly sort of went concave which was not cute and a bit scary. But, I never really worked out regularly until after I got into remission. I would work out for a few months at a time here and there, but I never enjoyed it until I got ill and really learned to appreciate my health. So yeah. I can tell, when I flex, I can feel muscles under there! I don't think it's a 6-pack under there but there's definitely strong muscles going on just under the flab.
03-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #1108
kel
Forum Monitor

That girl is very thin. Not much muscle, not much of anything.

I doubt your gp will know how to measure bodyfat accurately even if he says he does. There is the option of DEXA scan which is expensive and can still be wildly off depending on if you're fasted hydrated etc. If you can get skin fold calipers you can measure it yourself and come up with a reasonable guess. There are a lot of methods floating around the internet so you can google around if interested. Generally more sites = better accuracy. There is also the rope and choke method which uses a tape measure to find the circumference of various parts of your body. I honestly don't know too much about any of it as I've never needed to measure my own bf.
03-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #1109
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 3/10/14: I had, well, not the best weekend. Friday I went to the gym and had a good workout. Saturday, I did a lot of stuff around the house including cleaning my basement. Lifted a lot of boxes out of there to throw stuff away/take stuff to be donated. So that was pretty much a workout in itself! I also walked the dog on Saturday. The snow had started to melt and then re-froze, so as a result the paths in the dog park were all very icy. Fortunately I had the foresight to bring my snowshoes along, and I walked with those on the crusty snow away from the icy walking paths. That worked out great. I also ran a few errands and did a bunch of sewing - I really did a lot on Saturday!

So I didn't feel too worthless then when Sunday became an impromptu "stay at home, rest, and eat low-res" kind of a day. I had inadvertently (stupidly) drank a swig of sour almond milk because my hubby said I should take a drink to see if it was still good or not. It was not good, but I have a really hard time telling when things like that have spoiled, so I drank the mouthful of almond milk. Hubby then took a swig and spit it right out, saying it had definitely gone bad and how could I not tell? I don't know, I just couldn't. So with my pre-existing tummy issues, drinking that bit of sour almond milk made me very worried that I would get some sort of food poisoning or bacteria and set off a flare. I worried myself into a couple hours of nausea, and I decided the best course of action would be to stay home and rest and stay near my bathroom just in case. So I sat on the couch and watched a few episodes of City Hunter (really cool K-drama) and worked on my crocheting and didn't do anything else, had a totally lazy day. Fortunately I think I'm fine - it's now 24 hours later and I didn't get any symptoms aside from the initial nausea that I worried myself into having.

So, since I am apparently okay, I'm planning to hit the gym today. I've got an interesting week planned with doctor appointments on Tuesday (eye doctor) and Thursday (GP). So it works out well for me to do the gym on Mon-Wed-Fri. I'd like to try to do something active on Tues & Thurs, maybe bike or yoga, so I'll do what I can on those days.
03-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #1110
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I hit the gym and finally had a great workout - it seems like it's been a little while! I did all the machines, and the hamstring feels fine. I did 2 sets of squats and a 30 second plank, too. I felt exhausted when I got up this morning - stupid daylight savings time has messed with my internal clock. But I felt very energized after my workout, it was just exactly what I needed.

Tomorrow evening I think I'm going to ride the stationary bike for an hour. Hubby likes to watch that "Agents of Shield" show which doesn't really interest me, and that show is on on Tuesdays. So while he's watching his show, I'll watch another episode of my K-drama and ride the bike. That sounds like a nice plan to me. And since I'm actually trying to lose a few lbs, I can use the cardio.

Back on that subject, Kel, thanks for letting me know that it won't be worthwhile to ask my GP to do a bodyfat measurement. I'll do a bit of googling and see what I can come up with. As for that picture of Dara I posted, yeah, she is very thin. I realize I shouldn't try to have a similar body when I have a different body type and surely different body chemistry and all that stuff. I just have to keep trying to be the best Cat I can be! I'd still like nicer-looking abs, so I'm going to move forward with trying to lose just a few lbs (like 5 lbs I think, I don't want to drop back into the 120s). It's not a super high priority though. I was just being silly with wanting to be like Dara. My main goals are still to be healthy and strong. The silly exterior stuff is not nearly as important.