Share Facebook

04-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #1471
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
ˇ Stoma
How often do you walk your dog? Dogs are a great way of making sure you get exercise if motivation is ever a problem. I can't give my dog all she needs, so my parents give her two walks a day between them, and I give her one. Knowing she loves it is good motivation for me to get out, because it's a great way to bond. My dog knows the routine, when each person is likely to take her out, and will come and ask when it's time.

And my dog is actually really not much of a walker as dogs go. One of my previous dogs was high energy, and he usually got about three hours of walks a day (and he'd be charging off into the distance then back again for the whole of each walk), and would still charge round the house and outside most of the time he wasn't out on walks.

I go out for walks with my dog now and we're very well suited as we go the same speed - slow. As you're much fitter than I am, if you're ever short of exercise ideas, maybe you could consider going out jogging or cycling with your dog, or whatever you enjoy? Or agility classes if your dog is able to do that kind of thing (I used to do dog agility when I was a kid - it gets you very fit!).
04-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #1472
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My husband is currently under-employed (in a typical week he works only one 7-hour shift - he's been looking for full-time work but so far no luck) so he is usually the one who walks our dog. I usually walk her on the weekends and he walks her during the week, that's often the way it works out (during the warmer months I try to walk her after work in the evenings sometimes as well). We're fortunate enough to live very close to a large fenced-in dog park, so we always walk her to the park and then do a lap of the park. My dog loooooooves the park so she's always up for going for a walk. She's not super high energy - she's a 6 year old corgi and she's a bit fat and lazy, but on walks she does like to walk fast especially on the way to the park as she's excited to get there. Once we're in the park, she likes to sniff everything and meet all the other dogs and people, so then the pace of the walk slows down a bit.

Motivation isn't a problem for me - I love working out, it makes me feel healthy and strong, and it's basically the only time I can forget for a bit that I am ill. It's the best anti-depressant I've come across, it's just the best! So I don't really have any issues with motivation, I have more issues with my body not being up to exercise because of whatever symptoms are going on. Like lately with the blood loss, it's made me feel dizzy and light-headed at times, so with that going on it's not wise to risk passing out during a workout - I could injure myself if I fell, especially if I was on the treadmill or holding heavy weights. So yeah, I get frustrated when I'm not well enough to do a workout, but I never lack motivation.

Oh, and I sadly cannot jog nor cycle with my dog. I can't jog at all due to hip arthritis, jogging is just too high-impact for my hips and it becomes painful very quickly, and if I push it and try to jog through the pain, that just makes the pain worse and I end up needing my cane for like 4 days afterwards. I can ride my bike, but my dog wouldn't be able to keep up. When we got our dog, my brother was living with us at that time. He's a runner, so one day he tried taking my dog out for a jog. They returned about 5 mins later - my dog couldn't even run 2 blocks before she got tired out and decided to stop. She's just not a runner! She can walk fast, but those short little corgi legs of hers, combined with the fact that she's a bit fat, makes her not really built for running. We haven't tried any agility classes with her, but that might be something to consider trying. I have a neighbor who has 2 corgis and hers do classes like that, so I might ask to join her sometime. My dog is very intelligent and learns new tricks quickly (she'll do anything for a treat!), so I bet she'd do pretty well at agility. Thanks for the idea!
04-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #1473
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/2/15: I did take my dog to the park last night - the weather was beautiful! And my dog got to play with her friends - my neighbor had her 2 corgis at the park, and there was also another corgi there, so it was 4 corgi friends playing together. It was seriously cute! My dog had such a fun time, she loves her friends. I had a fun time too, it was so nice to get outside for awhile and I didn't even need a jacket!

Walking isn't always the easiest on my hips (walking is a bit too high impact for my joints at times), and sometimes the weather makes my arthritis act up as well. It's rainy this morning, so I think the combo of walking yesterday and rain today has made my bad hip a little painful today (both my hips have arthritis, but the right has always been worse than the left, and it's the right hip that hurts today). I'm planning on going to the gym for weights and will be focusing mainly on arms today. I am going to do some hip stretches as well as that usually helps my hips feel better. So that's the plan!

Tomorrow I might do yoga or the stationary bike if I feel up to it. If I'm still feeling reasonably well on Saturday, I think I will do weights again. Still trying to make myself bleed for my flexi-sig - I had a big salad yesterday but it caused me zero trouble! Usually a meal-sized salad is a huge no-no for me, so that's a bit odd. I guess I'm just going to keep on eating iffy/fibrous foods in an effort to bleed by Tuesday.
04-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #1474
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/6/15: I did go to the gym on Thursday. My abs and hip were sore, so I left those areas alone and focused mainly on arms, and that went fine. The stationary bike in the little gym in my workplace is still broken - in the past I would do 5-10 mins on the bike to warm up, but it's been broken for a couple months now. So my warmup when I go to the little gym now consists of a variety of mainly bodyweight exercises instead - squats, lunges, jumping jacks, jump rope, pushups, etc. That's been going okay but I miss the bike. I've been told that the building owners are going to either fix or replace it, but they are sure taking their sweet time.

Friday I didn't work out - hubby and I did a bunch of things around the house and ran some errands, and by the time that was all done I was pretty wiped out. Saturday, I had been thinking of going to the gym, but we had really nice weather and ended up doing some strenuous yard work instead. Our house is older (built in the 1950s) and it came with one of those insanely heavy cast iron and concrete utility sinks in the basement. It looks like it belongs in a prison and it weighs approximately 10 zillion lbs. We got a more modern plastic utility sink, so the heavy concrete sink has just been sitting in a corner in our basement for years. We finally decided on Saturday to try to move it out of our basement! It took a ton of effort and like 2 hours - we have a walk-out basement so fortunately we only had to get it up 3 stairs, but even so that was a pretty insane amount of effort to move it even that far. Between hubby and I, we could just barely move the stupid thing. We eventually got it up the 3 stairs and into the backyard and that's where it's staying - we dug a hole and buried it halfway, and are using it as a planter now. It actually looks kind of nice as a planter! And since it's a sink, it's already got drainage built in. So that will help us with our gardening efforts as we're trying to grow a lot of plants this year (fresh fruits and veggies can be problematic for me as-is, but I can juice just about anything without trouble). So, I definitely got a workout from moving that huge stupidly heavy thing plus digging the hole to partially bury it. It took about 3 hours total to move the sink, dig the hole, get the sink into the ground and put the dirt back. It was worth it, though, it's nice to have a new planter plus that awful heavy thing is out of my basement forever!

Yesterday I was still a bit sore from moving the sink, plus it was Easter, so I took a rest day. Today, I'm heading to the gym for weights as the soreness is largely gone. Tomorrow is my flexi sig - it's not until noon, so I'm thinking I might do some yoga in the morning before heading to the clinic. I don't want to do anything strenuous as I'm not allowed any food nor water for 4 hours before my scope, so I won't do anything that makes me sweat as I won't be able to drink any water. Yoga should be fine though. I'll have to see how I'm feeling after my scope - my GI always likes to take a lot of biopsies, and as a result sometimes I'm in a bit of pain the next day once the fentanyl has worn off. So, if I'm in pain on Wednesday then I'll rest. If I'm feeling reasonably okay then I'll do weights again.
04-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #1475
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
ˇ Stoma
Good luck with the test. I was going to say something along the lines of hoping it finds nothing wrong, but I think you were hoping it would show up something to explain the bleeding? If I've got that right, then I hope it finds something but that the something is easily treatable. (And also that the test itself isn't too uncomfortable.)
04-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #1476
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Great idea with the sink, I doubt that I'll be able to plant any vegetables until June this year. We are thinking of raised bed planters.

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
04-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #1477
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks, UnX! I think I'm hoping that it finds something, but that the something is minor like hemorrhoids. I don't want the bleeding to have been caused by anything more serious than that. So think happy hemmie thoughts for me!

Hawkeye, we're thinking of doing raised garden beds as well. For now, we can put old windows on top of the sink to use it like a little greenhouse, so we can start seeds in it now. I have a lot of seeds so that's part of what I'm going to figure out in the next few days, which seeds do I want to start first! We also have an old wheelbarrow in our basement - it has no wheels, the handles are broken, and it's full of dried cement (a gift from the people who used to live in our house). My hubby thinks that if he can get the cement out with his sledgehammer, then we can use the wheelbarrow as a planter box as well. I'll just be happy to get it out of my basement as well as it takes up a lot of space and is currently utterly worthless!

Last edited by Cat-a-Tonic; 04-06-2015 at 12:39 PM.
04-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #1478
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I went to the little gym in the basement of my workplace on my lunch hour today for a fairly quick weights workout. That went very well! I am tired, I didn't sleep well last night and I feel mentally foggy. But apparently physically I feel just fine - it was one of those easy breezy workouts where the weights feel a bit lighter than they usually do, I had energy to spare and found myself wishing that I had more than an hour to spend in the gym! You know those workouts where your whole body just goes like, "Ahhhh, this is exactly what I needed" - it was one of those. I just felt fantastic the whole time. And I must have been working out a bit intensely, as I got my GERD to start acting up (it usually acts up during an intense workout but is fairly quiet during less intense things like yoga). It's been awhile since I had a workout where I started belching from my GERD getting riled up - not that I enjoy belching and refluxing during a workout, but that said to me that I'm doing something right. So even though my GERD has been nothing but problematic during workouts many times in the past, it was almost nice for it to act up today. I finally feel like I'm starting to get back to my old self, the self who works out a lot.

I also got to properly rock out to my favorite workout music which was so nice. The little gym in the basement of my workplace, for ages it had an ancient box-style TV with a built in DVD player that frequently didn't work. I used to burn youtube music videos of my favorite songs to DVDs and then watch those while I'm working out, so in the past when the DVD player would actually work, I'd put my music on the TV and it would fill the gym and I'd just rock out while working out. Then the DVD player died completely and I had to switch to my ipod for music, and it's just not the same. My ipod is great for the big gym where there are lots of other people around because in that situation I like to put on my headphones and drown out everyone around me and just focus on me and be in my own head, but in the little gym where I'm almost always the only one there, I love having my music blasting out loud from the TV speakers rather than keeping it intimate and in my headphones only. That little gym is already intimate and it feels downright lonely to be alone in there and have my headphones on - maybe I'm just weird, but I feel like I need the music to be more out in the open than that. So anyway, we finally got a new flatscreen TV in the little gym, and today I was able to play my music on the TV again! It was so fun, I was singing along in between sets and dancing from machine to machine. I think that's another part of why my workout today felt so good, my favorite workout songs were able to be played as they should be and the whole gym was full of music and it just pumped me up! It was wonderful!
04-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #1479
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/7/15: I had my scope today. I wasn't able to do yoga beforehand - I had been told that I could drink water but had to stop 4 hours before my scope. My scope was at noon, so I got up at 7:30 and drank water until 8. I felt parched, so I guzzled a ton of water - probably too much. That gave me some d and I felt fairly yucky, so I opted to rest until my scope.

The scope itself was a bit eventful. The enemas that I had to do to clean out my sigmoid, those really sucked! They caused massive cramping and were just plain awful. I honestly think I'd rather do prep than enemas again, seriously. The cramps I get from prep are like 1/5th what the enema cramps were.

The scope itself, apparently the sedation didn't work right. I don't remember much, fortunately. And I wasn't in pain. But I was awake & talking the whole time. I have bits of memories, mainly I remember opening my eyes and trying to see what was happening on the monitor, but my glasses weren't on and I couldn't see. My GI said I was loopy and talking nonsense the entire time. He also said that I'm getting propofol from now on so that I can be knocked out properly, as we don't want this to happen again. So, that's a good thing!

Another good thing is that my scope found the source of my bleeding, and it is indeed hemorrhoids. I haven't bled in about 2 weeks now, and my GI said that my internal hemmies are shrinking and healing, which is what I had been hoping. He took some random biopsies but I don't expect they'll show anything. He said that besides the hemmies, everything else looks great. It sounds like I'm probably in remission and all my recent troubles have been hemmie-related. So that's very good news! I feel like this is a big green light for me to properly get back into fitness. I've had so many health hurdles lately with the labyrinthitis and then the flu and then the bleeding - I really hope this is the end of that stuff for awhile and that I can enjoy remission and get back into working out a lot! I'm feeling really optimistic and hopeful. So yeah, I had a not great experience but a good outcome. Presuming that I feel okay tomorrow (not sure exactly how many biopsies my GI took), then I'll be back in the gym.
04-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #1480
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/8/15: Well, I'm not in any pain from the scope nor the biopsies, so I'm going to head to the gym shortly. I do have a headache today, although it's not as bad this afternoon as it was this morning. And sometimes a workout will help alleviate my headaches, so all the more reason to go to the gym. My one concern is that within the past couple hours, I suddenly became super gassy. I did re-start taking psyllium husks today, so I am pretty sure that the gassiness is because of the teaspoon of psyllium I had this morning. Fortunately I'm going to the little gym in the basement at work, and I'm usually the only one there, so if need be I guess I'll just fart it out during my workout! If my headache cooperates, I do plan to crank the music up on the TV again, so that will at least cover up any sound, ha ha.

I definitely need a workout today, too. It's been a stressful day especially with finding out that my grandpa is in the hospital. I plan to push myself as much as I can - I won't overdo it since things are probably still a bit tender inside from the scope & biopsies yesterday and I don't want to upset things, but I will definitely do what I can.

Tomorrow I'm thinking I'll do the stationary bike at home (the one at work is still broken). I'm going to try for 45 mins to an hour of that. I always find myself getting bored when doing more than 30 mins on the stationary bike - pedaling to nowhere with no change in scenery is just dull. So I need to find a new TV show to watch while I do the bike, I think that could help alleviate the boredom. I really like Korean dramas - I'm slooooowly trying to teach myself Korean, so I try to pick up on new words, plus reading the subtitles keeps my mind busy. I'm not sure which one to watch next, though. I just finished My Love From Another Star and it was so good, I need to find another good one like that. So I think tonight I'm going to peruse what's available and add some episodes to my Hulu queue for future cardio sessions.

Friday I've made a date night with the hubby to go to the big paid membership gym and do a longer weights session than what I'm usually able to accomplish on my lunch break at work. We'll do a nice long workout and then have dinner together - probably at a little falafel place near our house. Saturday the hope is to do more yard work (the wheelbarrow that I mentioned in a previous post) if the weather is nice.
04-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #1481
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I went to the gym and the gassiness disappeared - no farting it up in the gym! My headache is getting better as well - it's still there a little bit, but not throbbing and horrible like it was this morning, it's far more tolerable now. I was able to do everything in the gym including the abdominals machine and I felt pretty good the whole way through. Oh, and the elevator at work is broken today, so I got a bit of extra exercise walking the stairs from 3rd floor to the basement and back again (I normally do like taking the stairs but not with my heavy gym bag - it wasn't so bad today though so I might take the stairs with my gym bag more often).
04-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #1482
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/9/15: Well, my plans have all changed already. My hip pain is acting up today in response to an impending thunderstorm, so I think I'm going to rest instead of do the bike. I probably will stretch things out very well tonight but I don't plan to push my hip to do much of anything on a bad pain day. And Fri-Sat-Sun, hubby now has to work, so I'll be going to the gym by myself on Friday if my hip is feeling better by then. Really I'm just going to play it by ear due to the hip pain, and I'll do what I can when I can. Hopefully once this storm blows through then my hip will feel better - that's usually how it goes.
04-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #1483
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/10/15: The storms have finally ended and my bad hip is feeling mostly better. Not 100%, but definitely a solid 85%. I think that's good enough for me to go to the gym. Since hubby ended up having to work today, I'm just going to head down to the little gym again and do another lunch hour workout.

Tomorrow's weather is supposed to be 65 and sunny, which sounds wonderful and I think I would like to take a bike ride! That's just about perfect bike riding weather, not too hot and not too cold so I won't freeze nor sweat to death. I'd also like to do a bit of yard work but nothing too strenuous, just pruning back some things before they bud out and stuff like that. So that's the plan! I haven't really thought as far ahead as Sunday yet, as my parents are coming to town and I have to have lunch with them. I'm thinking I'll probably do a quickie weights session at home with my dumbbells either before or after lunch, I just have to figure out exactly when I'll be able to do that (usually I plan my meals around my workouts, not the other way around, so I just need to make sure my stomach has been empty for at least 2 hours before doing weights or my GERD will get mad).

Maybe I should talk about my diet a bit as well, as now that I'm getting back into properly working out, I'm also trying to eat a bit healthier. I'm having my usual smoothie for breakfast - I added a few new ingredients to it which is going well so far. I got some powdered peanut butter and also some chia seeds and added a teaspoon of each to my usual smoothie (crushed ice, almond milk, cocoa powder, soy-based protein/vitamin powder, and a banana). I declare it to be delicious! For my snack I packed a few options into my lunch - string cheese, soy yogurt, and a banana. Lunch is crab salad with goat cheese on potato bread - I've actually never tried potato bread before (I like to try new foods on Fridays, so that I have the weekend to recover if it goes badly). So that will be interesting, although I don't think it'll cause me any issues as potatoes are safe for me. Dinner will be a salmon filet with half an avocado. I might make couscous as a side dish as well depending on how hungry I am.

Tomorrow... well, I'm thinking of riding my bike to a little café where they make seriously delicious salads. It's about 5 miles from my house so it'd be about a 10 mile bike ride round trip, not bad at all for my first ride of the year. I kind of want to just ride there, order a salad to go, take it home and scarf the whole thing down. I'm sort of obsessed with salads, sometimes they affect me really badly but other times they don't, it's really always a mystery what a salad is going to do to me. These salads at this café, they're so yummy and the last 2 times I didn't experience any repercussions from them. So I'm thinking about being sort of bad and getting a salad! Wish me luck!
04-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #1484
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: Ugh, change of plans yet again. I went to the gym today for weights, and during my warm-up, I noticed some pain in my left quad. I think I pulled it? I went easy on my legs and just focused on arms. I walked a bit on the treadmill to cool down but the quad pain is still there. So, I am now thinking it's best to not go on a bike ride tomorrow as I should probably rest this and let it heal. Not happy about that! (And I may still go out and get a salad anyway even if I don't bike there.) Bleh! Hopefully this is just another blip on the radar and nothing big. Still, frustrated. I hate when my body forces me to rest. Not cool, body!
04-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #1485
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/13/15: I didn't go to the gym all weekend. Saturday I mostly rested, although I did about 90 mins of yard work (massively trimming back some bushes and planting some seeds in my new planter). That was moderately strenuous - one of the bushes I was trimming is a very pokey bush so there was a lot of bending and moving involved in order to trim it without poking myself (I still got poked a lot!). My quad fortunately felt okay the whole time. Sunday, my parents came for a visit so we ate way too much food and then took a long walk afterwards. It was sort of an adventure walk with climbing over logs and things down a nature trail. Again, my quad felt fine the whole time, so that's encouraging!

Today I'm planning on going down to the little gym. I'll probably take it easy on my legs and mainly focus on arms as I don't want to re-injure my quad. I will test it out a little bit but won't push it at all. If that goes okay then I might try a short bike ride tomorrow. I won't do any crazy hills or anything like that, I'll keep it around 5-6 miles max as I still won't want to push my quad too too much at that point.

I did go and get myself some salad over the weekend. I decided to just make my own at home, so I went to the store and bought lettuce, tomatoes, etc. Had a delicious salad on Friday evening and it didn't bother my guts. Had another one on Sunday night and the guts were a tiny bit crampy afterwards, but it was totally tolerable and the guts are fine today. I guess I must really be in remission if I can reliably eat salad without issues! I'm still hoping someday soon to be able to ride my bike to that little café and pick up a salad. The café isn't far from my gym, so I could incorporate it with a bike ride to the gym, a weights session at the gym, then ride to the café afterwards and get a to-go salad and bring it home in my bike basket. That's sounding like a good plan, now I just need to find a nice weekend day to do it.
04-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #1486
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/14/15: I went to the gym yesterday and that went well. I played it very safe with my quad and I didn't experience any pain from it. The only thing I even did leg-wise was a few very cautious and slow lunges during my warm-up to test it out. That went fine fortunately. The rest of the time I focused on arms, back, and a bit of abs. Now that I'm doing better, I can do a bit more ab work. I still can't do much ab work as it tends to anger my GERD pretty quickly, so any ab work is considered a success. I did some crunches and a plank.

The weather is really nice this week, so after work I took my dog to the park. She met up with her corgi friends and they played around for awhile. It was really nice to get outside. Springtime is finally properly here!

Today my legs feel a bit tired, I think from the walking that I've done lately. I think I'm going to rest today rather than ride my bike - I still want to play it safe with my quad. Tomorrow, I am going back to the gym for weights and I will try to ease back into working my legs a bit more. I probably still won't push it too much, but I will likely do more cautious lunges and maybe squats too (not with weights, just bodyweight squats). If things continue to go well, then maybe I'll ride my bike on Thursday. Friday is the re-scheduled date night with hubby - going to the big paid membership gym for a longer weights session, then going out for a nice dinner afterwards.
04-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #1487
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/15/15: It's been SUCH a rough week at work. In a nutshell, I got yelled at by someone (who isn't my boss), and the reason I got yelled at was because I did my job the way my boss told me to. Seriously. I did everything right but somehow still got yelled at for it and made to feel that I'm stupid and do everything wrong. That's not cool. I ended up crying at my desk yesterday. I have a super nice boss though and she brought me flowers and donuts this morning because she knew I was upset. She's so sweet.

So, with the crazy stress and emotions, I *so* need to do a workout today! I wish we had something like a punching bag in the gym because I really just want to hit something! But lifting weights is usually just fine when I need to work out some emotions, so I'm going to go and lift as heavy as I can. My quad feels fine and I kinda just want to push my body to physical exhaustion, so I will (cautiously at first) go for a whole body weights workout today. I think I'm going to walk my dog tonight after work, too. If I manage not to re-injure my quad today, then I'm going to do a bike ride tomorrow. Friday, going to the big gym with hubby. This weekend, we're hoping to do more yard work and I'll surely go to the gym at some point and walk the dog too.
04-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #1488
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I pushed myself in the gym and I feel good! My quad didn't hurt at all, even though I did lunges, squats, and probably other leg exercises that I'm forgetting. I did every weight machine including the abdominals machine. I pushed myself as much as I could - my reflux got pretty riled up by the end of my workout. I feel pretty tired now and my abs feel a bit sore, but I feel quite good too. I should still have enough energy left to walk my dog tonight, so that's the plan. Tomorrow, presuming I'm still feeling good, I'm going for a bike ride. I can't wait!
04-16-2015, 04:20 AM   #1489
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
ˇ Stoma
I expect some people would say that yoga is the right type of activity for dealing with anger and frustration.... but punch bags are so much more satisfying. It's a long time since I've played it, but I remember squash as a good game to play when someone's made you want to hit them.
04-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #1490
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Squash is tennis, correct? If so, tennis is a bit problematic for me. I've tried but it just doesn't end up so well. The running around on the tennis court makes my arthritis a bit angry, and the repeated bending over to pick up the tennis ball can make my GERD get riled up. Last time I played tennis, I ended up with hip pain and a reflux attack - it wasn't fun. So yeah, I've tried, but tennis just isn't my sport.

Yoga, I think you have to have the right personality type or at least be in the right mindset to be able to relieve stress and emotion. Personally I need a much more intense workout to get my stress out - that's why I love lifting weights so much, as that's the best stress-relief and anti-depressant for me. I tend to bottle things up (I'm trying to be better about that, but that's my natural inclination) so in an intense workout, it's like the bottle opens up and releases all the pressure - the actual issue doesn't necessarily go away, but it becomes far easier to deal with. I don't really get that from yoga - don't get me wrong, I feel good after a yoga workout, but I don't get that "Ahhhhhh" feeling of leaving my emotions and stress in the gym like I do when I lift weights.

I had a co-worker ask me if I meditate, and I laughed and said no. I'm way too antsy, I can't sit still and do nothing like that. My mind is always going, I don't think I could shut it up even if I tried just by sitting still. But with weight lifting, my mind does kind of shut up. Or at least it quiets down enough because it has to use its full energy to concentrate on what I'm doing. I need to count reps, focus on my form and my breathing, talk myself into doing another rep or couple of reps when I start to feel like I maybe can't do another, etc. That to me is the closest I get to meditation. I guess with meditation and with yoga, there's not enough going on for my mind to be able to focus. With weights, though, I can focus - my workout takes up all my brain capacity and there's no room for noise or outside stuff. Maybe that's weird, I don't know. It's like a body workout and a mind workout. I think that's what other people get out of yoga, and I get it from weights.

Anyway, I'm rambling again. I should give an update. I feel a bit sore today from my workout yesterday, but I don't feel pain - the quad still feels good. My guts are a bit upset, I've had some d and my guts just generally feel a bit unhappy. My hemorrhoids aren't super happy either (because of the d, I'm sure). I was thinking of riding my bike tonight, but now I'm not sure if that's such a good idea. I'll probably play it by ear and see how I'm feeling later today. I could always just go for a short ride to see how that goes. Or I could decide that I'm just not up for a bike ride tonight and I can always walk my dog instead. Once again we're having a really nice day weather-wise, so I will get outside and do something, I just have to listen to my body and figure out what would be best.
04-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #1491
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
ˇ Stoma
No, squash is far more violent than tennis: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squash_(sport)

Or at least it was when we played it at school and used to hit the ball through the ceiling of the squash court.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, it provides a good workout:

Squash provides an excellent cardiovascular workout. In one hour of squash, a player may expend approximately 600 to 1000 food calories (3,000 to 4,000 kJ).[1] The sport also provides a good upper and lower body workout by utilising both the legs to run around the court and the arms and torso to swing the racquet. In 2003, Forbes rated squash as the number one healthiest sport to play.[1] However, some studies have implicated squash as a cause of possible fatal cardiac arrhythmia and argued that squash is an inappropriate form of exercise for older men with heart disease.[13]
But it would probably have the same problems for you as tennis.

I can't meditate either. Maybe because I have had so many times of extreme boredom (e.g. weeks in hospital) sitting still and doing nothing is very unappealing to me.

Last edited by UnXmas; 04-16-2015 at 11:40 AM.
04-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #1492
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh, squash is racquetball! I have only played that once, years ago when we belonged to a fancy expensive gym for a short time (I now belong to a cheaper, more bare-bones gym that doesn't have a racquetball court). I do recall it being very tiring so I'm sure it is a good workout. But yeah, with my issues with tennis, I'm presuming I'd have the same issues with racquetball, and I don't even have access to a racquetball court anymore so I can't try it out regardless.

Doing nothing is unappealing to me, too. Even when I'm just sitting and watching TV, I need to be doing *something*. So I crochet - it keeps my hands and my mind busy enough that I'm not antsy, but I can still watch TV while I'm crocheting, and I end up with a usable item when I'm finished, so it's a win all around. I'm working on a dog blanket right now to donate to a corgi group - it'll be raffled off at a local corgi picnic in September. Last year they didn't have a lot of great stuff to raffle off, and they donate all the money from the raffle to a corgi rescue, so I volunteered to contribute something to the raffle to help them out. I also sometimes crochet scarves and hats, and there's a woman at work who donates that type of thing to a local cancer center, so I will make a bunch of stuff and then give it all to her to donate. It feels nice to make things for a good cause. And it keeps me busy and stops me from getting bored and antsy when I'm watching TV. The only problem is that I'm practically a yarn addict at this point! Whenever I buy more yarn, my husband is like, really? You needed more yarn even though you have like a metric ton of it already? Ha ha.
04-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #1493
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: Have I mentioned yet that I'm a bit addicted to buying workout clothes? I bought myself another sports bra today. Because apparently 3 black ones were not enough and I needed a 4th, ha ha.

My guts have settled - I haven't had any d since first thing this morning and things feel far less grumbly. I think that's my body giving me the green light to do a bicycle ride tonight. I'm downloading Map My Ride as it was recommended to me by brooklyn23, so I'm going to give that app a try. It looks like it tracks where you ride, what distance you ride, your speed, etc. All very useful stuff so hopefully that will work well for me - when I log my exercise into my fitbit dashboard, it wants to know that sort of information, particularly distance when it comes to bike rides, and I hate to guesstimate. I used to have an odometer/speedometer thing on my bike, but it was never very accurate and then it broke altogether, so an app seems like the way to go. My hubby had the day off work today so I asked him to get my bike road-ready - put air in the tires, lube up the gears, etc. So I should be all set to go for a ride!
04-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #1494
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/17/15: I did go for a bike ride last night. On a spur of the moment, I asked the hubby if he wanted to come with me, and he actually said sure! (I've asked him numerous times in the past if he wants to go on a bike ride with me and he always laughs and says no like it's the most preposterous idea ever - how ridiculous, going on a bike ride!) So I was shocked to the core when he actually said he'd go for a ride with me! He has a bike that he's never ridden ever. It's not a new bike, it's something used that a friend gave to us years ago and it's just sat in our basement ever since. Hubby dusted it off, put air in the tires, greased up the gears, and it seemed good to go.

I was hoping to do 6-8 miles, but we didn't make it that far. We got a couple miles out and had to turn around. I had been pedaling slowly and leisurely but hubby was still having a hard time keeping up with me (he clearly needs to work on his cardio!). After a couple miles, he turned into such a whiny whiner - he said, "My legs are tired and my butt hurts and I want to go home!" Such a baby. Ugh, fine, so we went home. When we got home, the app on my phone said that we rode a total of 3.37 miles. That's a much shorter distance than I had wanted to go. I told hubby to make his bike more ride-able - his bike seat is apparently very uncomfortable (hence the butt pain) so he'll be looking at other bike seats and I may just buy him a gel seat like the one I have if he's serious about going for more bike rides with me (I suspect he won't go for many or any more rides with me). So, I had a short ride but it wasn't because of my health! My guts felt okay (abs felt a bit sore but I didn't have any d or cramping or anything) and my hemmies were pain-free - my gel seat is indeed awesome.

Tonight hubby and I are going to the big gym - I looooove going there on Friday nights as it's usually dead quiet, for some reason the gym is not a popular Friday night hot spot (personally I'd way rather go to the gym than a bar or a club!). Tomorrow I think I'm going to take my dog out to a different park for some hiking through the woods - the weather is supposed to be lovely tomorrow and a hike sounds really nice. Sunday hubby has to work so I'll hit the big gym by myself.
04-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #1495
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/20/15: I went to the big gym Friday night with hubby. It's been awhile since we both went there together (last time was before I started bleeding out my backside, so it had been well over a month). I felt very good, very strong and a lot of energy, and was able to push myself to do everything - my quad didn't make a peep so I'm presuming it's fully healed now. I did feel very refluxy at the end of weights/beginning of stretching - I had to make sure I was upright and drinking water to coax my stomach contents back down my throat. That's never pleasant but it is a sign of a good workout. We went out to dinner after our workout and we both had salads. I scarfed mine down, and I did feel a tad bit crampy afterwards, but other than the very mild crampiness I didn't have any repercussions. I must really be in remission if I can eat salads with relatively no problem!

Saturday, I woke up feeling kind of awful. Head was pounding with pain and I was fairly nauseous - I'm thinking it was a migraine. In spite of that, I had stuff I wanted to do so I pushed through it. I went around and hit some garage sales Saturday morning. Then I took my dog on a hike. I felt okay while walking around - I felt the worst when I was driving in the car, oddly enough. It was like, the vibration of being in the car did really bad things to my head, but walking around somehow made it feel a bit better. Weird.

Sunday I felt a fair bit better - the headache was still there but was far less bad than it had been on Saturday. So I hit the big gym for weights again. I felt less energetic than I had on Friday, but I was still able to do everything I had wanted to. And, I still had enough energy afterwards to be able to walk my dog, too. So all in all I had a very active weekend in spite of having a migraine for a good chunk of it. I was pretty pleased with my ability to push through the pain and accomplish what I had wanted to.

Today I think is going to be a rest day - I feel a bit sore, particularly my back is sore, so I'm not going to push things today. Tomorrow I'll go to the little gym for weights - I put some new songs in my playlist and am very excited to rock out in the gym. Wednesday, not sure - maybe a bike ride or a walk with my dog if it's nice outside. Thursday, going to the big gym for weights after work with hubby. Friday not sure, and Saturday I have to work at an event (overtime pay, woo hoo) but I'm hoping to squeeze in a weights workout on Saturday after work - I only have to work for a few hours in the morning, thank goodness, so hopefully I'll have enough energy left over for a workout that afternoon. I may get a massage at some point this week for my aching back - just have to see if/when my massage therapist is available.
04-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #1496
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/21/15: I did rest yesterday and that helped quite a bit. My back feels much better today (which is good because we still can't get ahold of my massage therapist, hah). I'm heading to the little gym soon for a weights workout.

It's been a day of good things happening which is a bit weird since good things don't usually happen to me! My hubby had a job interview this morning (he really really really really needs a decent full-time job), and apparently they liked him, because they already asked him to come back for a 2nd interview! This job is even in his field (graphic design/animation) so it would be incredibly wonderful if he gets the job. I'm really trying not to get my hopes up too much or even think about it. I just need to be distracted until the 2nd interview is over with.

The other good thing is, I got something to distract me with! My boss wanted to give me something nice to thank me for helping out at the work banquet the other weekend. So we have this system at work where you get points and get to pick out a prize with your points, and my boss gave me a bunch of points today. I got enough points to get a road bike! I've been really wanting a road bike lately. Don't get me wrong, I love my current bike that I bought a couple years ago - it's a comfort bike style (similar to a cruiser) and it's made more for casual, shorter rides. Road bikes are lighter and faster and made for longer rides. So now I'll have multiple bikes for multiple purposes - if I want to take a longer ride then I can head out on my road bike, or if I'm just doing a short ride like riding to the gym then I'll take my comfort bike. Win-win!

For reference, here are the two bikes I'm talking about. This is the comfort bike that I currently have:
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Presti...ct_top?ie=UTF8

This is the road bike that I'm getting:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD45U8E/...ter_B004W8LG1S

Green with blue tires! It's so flashy, I love it! It seems to get good reviews, too. Yes, it's a men's bike, but I don't particularly care. It's made to fit a human of my height which is the more important part. I'll likely add on a couple of things - a water bottle cage and a gel seat cover, I'm thinking (or maybe get some padded bike pants?). I'll want to keep it light though when I'm riding so I won't add too much on. My comfort bike has a fair amount of add-ons including a basket - I'll skip the basket when it comes to the road bike. I'm so excited though! From the reviews, it sounds like it's a good road bike for a novice/non-pro, and I'm definitely solidly in the novice category. I can't wait to ride it! My one concern is that it's a single gear bike, but hopefully it's fast enough that it doesn't matter too much.
04-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #1497
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/22/15: I went to the gym yesterday and pushed myself and had a good workout. Today I feel a bit sore. I am also exhausted and my back is a bit painful again - maybe painful is the wrong word, but it's a bit stiff & sore and not super happy. I think I'm going to do a fairly easy short ride on the stationary bike tonight. I'd love to go for a bike ride outside, but it's so cold! In the past couple days it went from 70 degrees and sunny, down to 30s and snowing. Brrr! So an indoor workout is definitely going to be best today. And I won't push myself too much tonight since I pushed myself yesterday and I plan to push myself in the gym tomorrow too.

I hope it's just the change in the weather, but I sort of feel like I'm coming down with a cold. I hope I'm not and it's just my body being grumpy about the weather. At any rate, I'm having tea and I'm going to have some soup later. Trying to keep warm and be nice to my body. If I feel worse tonight then I'll probably skip the bike, but as it stands now I think I could do an easy 30 mins on the bike without trouble. I'm not coughing or anything, I just feel a bit chilled and run-down. So between my back and feeling sick-ish, I'm not having a great day. I'll probably do the bike tonight and then have a hot bath and go to bed early. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.
04-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #1498
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: My guts have been a bit unsettled today (not uncommon for me when I'm under the weather), and a little while ago when I wiped my backside, I noticed a tiny bit of blood on the TP. It's probably nothing/hemmies/fissure, but still - with the run-down "I'm maybe coming down with something" feeling and now a bit of blood, I've re-assessed and I think I should rest rather than do the stationary bike tonight. It's so cold out, I'm going to rest & hibernate. I'm thinking chicken soup is on the agenda in addition to the hot bath and going to bed early.
04-23-2015, 09:09 AM   #1499
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/23/15: I'm still feeling somewhat run-down and exhausted today. Not quite as bad as yesterday, but not great either. Also my joints are a bit achey, not sure what's going on with that as it's no longer raining/snowing. My hips are just a little bit achey, my lower back is still sore and my knees are now acting up too. I feel pretty blah.

I was hoping to go to the gym tonight, but I just don't see that happening with how I feel. So I'm going to do a scaled-back weights workout at home with my dumbbells. I also have a weight bench, a balance board, and a yoga ball, so with all those things I can still do a fairly decent workout. But it won't be as long or as intense as it would be in the gym. I'll just do what I can manage to do.

I can't be this exhausted, it's only Thursday and I have to work on Saturday too (another 6-day work week, but at least I get overtime pay for Saturday). Saturday is going to be absolutely miserable. There's a local running/walking race that morning, and my company is going to have a booth set up near the finish line. But the weather is supposed to be bad, with temps in the low 40s and quite a bit of rain so that's going to suck. I'm going to freeze and be miserable. My joints hurt (more) just thinking about it. And no, they don't cancel this event if it rains, so I have to go no matter what. Ugh. At least the event is only in the morning, so I can spend Saturday afternoon bundled in a blanket with a mug of hot tea.
04-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #1500
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/24/15: I was able to do a pretty decent workout last night at home with my dumbbells. I also on a whim went out and bought a kettlebell, so I did a few things with that too. My back still feels a bit sore today although the soreness is higher (more upper back, where it's been my lower back feeling sore the past few days). Finally got ahold of my massage therapist but of course he's not free anytime soon, so no massage for Cat. Ugh, oh well.

Tomorrow is the work event where I have to go stand outside in the rain and wind and cold and be miserable for a few hours. If the rain and cold don't utterly kill my joints then I will see about doing a workout Saturday afternoon/evening, but I'll just be playing it by ear until then. If I can't manage a workout on Saturday, then the goal is to go to the gym Sunday. Monday, I have an ultrasound of my liver (I have some benign tumors on it that have taken a backseat to my other health issues, so it's been a few years since we checked on my liver and it really needs to be looked at again to see if the tumors have grown/changed any). I can't plan my workouts much in advance since I'm waiting to see what tomorrow does to my joints.

Oh, but some good news - my new road bike has shipped and is arriving on Monday! I'm so excited! If I can get hubby to assemble it right away then I'll hopefully be able to go for a ride early next week. I bought myself a few accessories for it already - new lock, gel seat cover, and a water bottle cage. I've also got one of those small under the seat storage bags on my comfort/cruiser bike, and I'm going to transfer that to the road bike for a bit of storage (my comfort bike has a basket so it doesn't really need the under seat bag too). Super excited for my new bike! I can't wait to try it out!