Share Facebook

05-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #1531
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Today's a bit of a weird day - had a stressful morning as hubby's car wouldn't start (couldn't jump start it, either, so it seems to be more than just a dead battery). That's never fun and I'm stressing about how much it's going to cost to fix -

Break out the hammer....and crawl under and tap the starter

http://community.cartalk.com/discuss...-with-a-hammer

Learned this from a tow truck driver, but it doesn't always work - luckily the auto club covered my hour and a half tow. It's worth a try.

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
05-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #1532
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hubby seems to think it's the battery - starter seems okay but battery was apparently just totally dead (which is why jumping it failed to work) - alternator is okay too. He's doing more work on his car today and he's working on my car too for good measure. Nothing major on my car, just a burned out headlight. His car needed a few more parts though and that will hopefully get it running again (the bracket thing that secures the battery into the car, and the red thingy that attaches to the red battery post - sorry, I don't know the official names of car things! - both of those are corroded and rusted and neither is usable so he's getting new ones). Ah, the joys of having older cars (his car is 16 years old and mine is 14).

Fitness update: I tried doing the stationary bike after work yesterday, but I wasn't able to do as much as I wanted to. I felt a headache/migraine coming on and that definitely put a damper on my workout. I managed to do a 35 min ride (I had been hoping for longer than that). Not great but at least I did something. Today the migraine is still here and was quite awful when I first woke up, but as the morning has gone on it's gotten a bit better. I'm going to attempt a weights workout today in the little gym.

Tomorrow's a rest day and I need this migraine to be gone by tomorrow evening. We have tickets to a comedy show (Kids in the Hall!!) and I'm super excited about that. I definitely need some laughter! And I love KITH!

Saturday, presuming I'm feeling well enough, will be another weights day and I'll likely go to the big gym with hubby. Sunday, not sure yet. It's supposed to rain all weekend so I'll have to find something indoors to do.
05-15-2015, 08:47 AM   #1533
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 5/15/15: I did hit the little gym yesterday. I wasn't feeling super energetic, and my legs felt a bit sore & tired from doing the stationary bike the previous day. So I mainly focused on arms and that went fine. I stretched out my legs quite a bit too. I've still got this migraine, but it's more like background noise at this point so it's not too troublesome.

Hubby managed to fix his car finally (battery plus a few other parts) so that's very good. And, he got me a rowing machine! I've been wanting one, and we found a decent used one online for cheap so we picked it up last night. I had been wanting a way to do cardio with more than just my legs - the stationary bike is fine for cardio but my arms don't get a workout with it. A rowing machine seemed like a good solution. I had been wanting one that folds up pretty flat so that you can shove it under a bed or whatever, and the one I got seems like it flattens down quite nicely. It's a bit older but clearly hasn't been used much. I tried it out briefly last night while watching TV and it seems pretty good. Oh, and it'll be great for winter too - now I can keep my arms in kayaking shape year-round!

Today's a rest day. I'm pretty wiped out, it's been a long week. I'm going to that show tonight and then I'm probably going to rest a bunch over the weekend. It's supposed to rain/thunderstorm the entire weekend, so staying in with a book and a mug of tea sounds wonderful. I'm sure I'll go to the gym at some point, probably Saturday. For now though I just want to rest!
05-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #1534
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 5/18/15: Friday was supposed to be a rest day but we walked around quite a lot. We had tickets for a comedy show (Kids in the Hall!) on Friday night and it was in another city, so we got there early as we weren't sure how traffic, parking etc would be. Traffic did suck but parking was a breeze. So we had a few hours to kill before the show, and we ended up walking around Milwaukee quite a bit. The show was hilarious, it was a great time, and I got some much-needed laughter and stress-relief. It was a really fun time!

Saturday it didn't rain, the weather was really nice, so we did yard work for several hours. That was exhausting and I didn't end up going to the gym because the yard work was basically a workout in itself. We cut down some dead branches from a tree and then we chopped up the wood and used some of it to make a fire in our fire pit. I had 2 smores for lunch that day. Did a bunch of other stuff around the house too, laundry and taking out the garbage and cleaning and so on, so I was active for a good chunk of the day.

Sunday it did rain, and I went to the gym. Was still a bit sore from the yard work, so I didn't push myself too much. I did everything though including the abdominals machine and my reflux didn't punish me, so all in all it was a good workout. I feel a bit sore today but not too bad. Going to walk the dog tonight, otherwise it's a rest day. Tomorrow I'll head to the little gym for weights. Still figuring out what I'd like to do fitness-wise the rest of the week. If the weather is nice then I'd love to take the kayak out this weekend - fingers crossed! It's a 3-day weekend coming up so hopefully the weather is nice at least one of the 3 days. A bike ride would also be lovely.
05-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #1535
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Here's hoping your 3 day weekend was as good as ours. We had one day of rain (Sunday) but we needed it.
05-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #1536
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hawkeye, your 3-day weekend was this past weekend for Victoria Day? Ours is this coming weekend, for Memorial Day. There is currently some rain in the forecast for the upcoming long weekend but I'm hoping for at least one rain-free day so that we can take the kayak out. There is a little creek near our house, and just recently the city dredged the creek and shored up the sides with rocks and landscaping, it looks really nice now. So I'm excited to paddle the new & improved creek! We have a 2-person kayak and we always make a day of it - pack a picnic lunch and bring our dog with us, have a nice long paddle and a picnic.

Fitness update 5/19/15: I did walk my dog last night. It was cold though! The temperature dropped down into the low 50s and it was really windy. I was freezing and my nose was dripping! I didn't expect it to be so cold. So I suffered a bit although my dog loved it (she loves cold weather and hates hot weather). I sniffled and shivered while she ran all around with joy. She's ridiculous.

Today I'm hitting the little gym for weights. I feel a bit tired and fatigued, but I'm okay to work out. Speaking of fatigue, I think I figured out what caused my recent bout of massive fatigue. I had a co-worker tell me that he had a cold for like 10 days recently and he was exhausted and his ear was plugged up. I didn't have any noticeable cold symptoms, but I was also fatigued for a similar period of time - and my right ear was also plugged up during that time! So I'm presuming I caught the same cold and just didn't notice. The joys of chronic illness. I tend to just chalk up any & every symptom to the IBD so I legitimately didn't realize I had a cold! Hah, how funny. At any rate, that seems to be the reason for the fatigue.
05-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #1537
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 5/20/15: I didn't make it to the little gym on my lunch break yesterday. The fatigue worsened by mid-day and it was all I could do to stay awake. Fortunately though it ebbed and I was feeling more awake yesterday evening, so I worked out at home when I got home from work. I mostly did weights using my dumbbells and my kettlebell. I have a balance board so I did some weighted squats on that - that's tough! I did a bunch of weights and I also did about 10 mins on my new rowing machine. I managed to cobble together a pretty good workout using my equipment at home, so I'm satisfied with that. I'm glad I was able to work out even if the fatigue did temporarily sideline me.

Today is a rest day. I have dinner plans tonight, so that should be fun - going to have dinner with my aunt & uncle who I only get to see every couple of years. Tomorrow I'm hoping to go to the big gym with hubby, and if I get really ambitious then we'll go grocery shopping too (or I may go to the little gym on my lunch and then go shopping w/ hubby after work). Haven't decided what to do Friday yet. Saturday, really hoping to go kayaking! That's the tentative plan for now.
05-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #1538
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: Blood in my stool just now. Not a ton, but definitely enough to be noticeable (visible blood on the TP as well as in the toilet bowl). Bright red as always. I've been having d the past couple days and I've been going to the bathroom a fair amount so I presume that things are just a bit irritated back there and that's the cause. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it, though. If I'm still bleeding tomorrow then I may dial back my workouts a bit. I definitely do not want to have another month-long bleeding episode. I do still have some of the steroid suppositories and I think I will do one tonight just to encourage the area to heal up. Ugh though. Not happy about this development.
05-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #1539
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 5/21/15: More blood in my stool last night and a little bit this morning. It hasn't been very much so far but I'd like to stop it before it gets any worse. I still have some of the steroid suppositories left over from a couple months ago, so I used one of those last night and I'll probably continue to use them for the next few days at least.

I had dinner last night with some family members including my aunt (related by marriage) who has Crohn's. We were able to discuss some IBD related things and I told her I had just started bleeding again that day. She's had a lot of issues with bleeding in the past (she's also got internal hemmies, it turns out) and she's even had to have blood transfusions in the past. It sounds like she's doing well these days though, she hasn't had to have a transfusion in 2 years. She mainly self-treats with diet, yoga, and pred as needed, and that's been going okay for her. She's sort of my IBD role model - yes, I know I can't treat myself with diet and yoga alone, I need maintenance meds at least. But she's got such humor and snark and doesn't let this stuff get her down, she's so fun and awesome. I want to be more like her in that regard. I do sometimes let stuff get me down, I need to try to be more positive and not let it get to me so much.

So, I'm coming at this with renewed optimism. I know what I need to do to get the bleeding under control since I just went through this not long ago. I'm going to treat the bleeding but also keep going to the gym every day I'm able to - I won't let the bleeding get me to stop exercising if I can help it. I'm planning on going to the little gym today on my lunch break. I'm not making plans for tomorrow just yet (I'm realistically optimistic, ha ha) as I really don't know what my body is going to throw at me. I'm going to go in with the hopes that I can exercise but I won't firm up plans until I see what I feel like tomorrow.

I am still hoping to kayak on Saturday though, that's plans that I do want to keep. I don't think a little rectal bleeding should stop me from getting out on the water, so as long as I don't feel like I'm dying, I'm going to give it a try. I really, really am looking forward to it. Saturday is the one weekend day it isn't supposed to rain, so it's my one chance for a little while to go paddling. My arms can do it, they feel strong, and I've been able to paddle on iffy guts days in the past so I am fairly confident that it'll all be okay. (Fortunately we tend to paddle urban creeks, and I know there are bathrooms along the creek we'll be paddling on Saturday, so if worse comes to worse I can hop out and run to a public bathroom).
05-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #1540
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I just got back from the gym. I didn't feel super energetic, and I couldn't do much of anything with my abs/core (abdominal area got grumpy very quickly when I tried), but I was able to do arms & legs and I feel pretty good now. I'm definitely glad I went. I think, if I take it relatively easy tomorrow (rest day or walking), I should be good to kayak on Saturday.
05-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #1541
Hattie95

My Support Groups:
Hey! I'm so glad I found this! I was diagnosed with Crohn's this week after 7 weeks of feeling rubbish and this really cheers me up. I used to work out 5/6 days a week lifting weights and being a Zumba instructor and I haven't been able to do a thing in 7 weeks! I was starting to get worried that I'd never really be able to workout again after seeing some things posted on this site but you've given me hope that I'll be able to get back in the gym soon. I really miss it! Any tips you've found, especially with things like crunches that stress the abdomen? Or just any advice about getting back into it? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
05-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #1542
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hi Hattie95, welcome to the forum! I can certainly give you some advice and let you know what works for me - keep in mind that we're all different so what works for me may not work for you.

First of all, I wasn't able to start exercising regularly until I got into remission. It's difficult/impossible to exercise during a flare-up. It sounds like you were just diagnosed - are you on any medication yet? Definitely focus on that first - get on medication that works for you and let your insides heal up first, before you try doing any serious exercise. That was an absolute must for me.

I would also recommend that when you do start exercising, start slowly and listen to your body. Certain types of exercise may hurt or cause symptoms. You mentioned abdominal exercises like crunches, and it's true for me that those types of exercises can be really difficult when you have digestive issues. I have severe GERD in addition to the IBD, so when I work my abdominal muscles, I pretty quickly end up having reflux symptoms. As a result, I can't work my abdomen very much. Also, I have arthritis in both of my hips, so running/jogging becomes painful for me very quickly (I cannot run even half a mile without a lot of pain), so I cannot run at all anymore - I do bicycling instead for cardio. I can also lift weights without pain, and that's my favorite type of exercise to do. I started slowly - light weights 2x per week. Once I was confident that I was able to do that without making my body angry, I moved up to 3x per week and gradually increased the amount of weight that I was lifting. Now I lift every other day as heavy as I can go. It took awhile to get to that point, but I think my body would have been too physically stressed if I went right from doing no exercise to lifting as much and as intensely as I do now. So yes, start slowly, and if something hurts or causes a lot of symptoms then try another form of exercise. Maybe start with gentle yoga or short walks, and if that goes okay then move up to a short/easy Zumba class or lifting some light weights.

Another thing I should tell you - don't compare yourself to anyone else. You have new health challenges now that most people don't face, so when you're in the gym try to stop yourself from comparing what others are doing to what you're doing. I realize that's not always easy to do! And, also don't compare what you're able to do now to what you used to be able to do before you got sick, because there will likely be some differences there as well - you may have much less stamina, not be able to lift as heavy as you used to, etc. Just focus on what you can do now. You'll have to learn what your "new normal" is on a lot of levels, including fitness-wise (and that may change from day to day - some days I'm able to kick ass in the gym but other days I'm just barely able to push through what should be an easy workout). Try not to let that sort of thing discourage you - do what you can do on the good days, and there's no shame in resting on the bad days.

I hope that helps a bit? Please let me know if you have other questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them!
05-23-2015, 01:57 AM   #1543
Hattie95

My Support Groups:
Wow, thank you so much! I have just taken my third day of budesonide so early days still. That is definely great advice about starting slowly, I really love the idea of yoga, something I can do at home and start with day 5 minutes and see what happens. I think just sitting on the sofa all day is draining even more of my energy away!
That's great that you've found ways of doing cardio that don't aggravate your arthritis so much. How do you find lifting weights? Do you also have it in your hands, and if so does this make it more difficult/ painful to lift? What about your hips while lifting, are you able to do things like squats? I am already having pain in a few of my fingers and I'm wondering how this will be with lifting!
Thank you for the comment about a new normal! I'm sure it's easy to get discouraged if I can't do what I was able to do before so I will keep your words in mind when I do get back in the gym. I'm so happy to hear you can still kick ass in the gym, and it's great to read all the differnt things you do for exercise!
I was wondering if you took any protein shakes for example? I'm scared to try one again but I think it will help when I really dont want to eat to get some more calories and protein in, as loosing so much weight is eating away at my muscles! Have you found ways that help your diet fit your active lifestyle?
Thank you so much again for all of your help, you're an inspiration and have really given me hope! Good luck with kayaking today!
05-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #1544
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hattie, yes, I do seem to have mild arthritis in my hands. They don't seem to be affected by weightlifting, though. I have never noticed any issues with my hands when I'm working out. My hips are also fine with it, I never have pain with things like squats. It seems that my hips mostly hate high-impact exercise, so things like jogging are the worst for me. Squats, though, aren't high-impact (there isn't a jolt to my joints with squats like there is with jogging) so no issues there for me.

I do make myself protein shakes. I can't have whey (I'm lactose intolerant and whey products seem to affect me even if they say they're lactose-free) so I do a soy-based protein/vitamin powder as soy doesn't upset my stomach. I usually have a smoothie for breakfast as my stomach isn't usually too happy about having solid foods in the mornings. I make them myself with these ingredients - some crushed ice, some almond milk, the soy protein powder, a teaspoon of chia seeds, some powdered peanut butter, some cocoa powder for chocolately flavor, and a banana. I blend that all up and have it for breakfast - it's yummy and hopefully pretty healthy. Play around with shakes/smoothies and see what works best for you - it took me awhile to figure out what ingredients work best for me.

Good luck with the budesonide! I've taken that twice in the past, and both times it got me into remission. It does take a little while to kick in, anywhere from a week to a month, so hopefully it starts working for you soon and helps you feel better.
05-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #1545
Hattie95

My Support Groups:
You're an angel! Best news I've heard in a while! And I'm so happy to hear that squats are still in my future! And no jogging doesn't bother me, I hate running anyway!
That sounds like a delicious recipe! I have some soya protein at home so I'm going to try this soon, especially for breakfast as I like you find solid food difficult first thing.
And that's amazing to hear about budesonide, no one had told me how long it would take to work so I was getting a little worried but you've put my mind at rest. About everything actually, I'm so glad I found your thread! I hope you had a great weekend and managed to kayak!

05-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #1546
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh yeah, I should give a fitness update. Well, I had a very weird weekend! Bad stuff followed by good stuff. I ended up basically not exercising at all because of how weird the weekend was.

The bad stuff happened on Saturday morning. We were going to go kayaking. I packed us a picnic lunch, hubby got all the gear in the car and on top of the car, we got our dog ready to go. We got to the creek and loaded up the kayak and everything seemed good. I had a little Polaroid Cube camera (sorta similar to a GoPro) which I put in its waterproof case and mounted to the front of the kayak. But, just as we were about to launch the kayak, the mount failed! Just as I pushed the button to turn on the camera, it fell off the mount and into the water. It was in a waterproof case, so you would have thought that it would float - but nope, it sank right away. Eek! The creek was very murky, so even though it's only a couple feet deep, we couldn't see the bottom. Hubby waded into the creek to try to find the camera. He was blindly feeling around on the creek bottom with both hands. He couldn't find it. Then, all of a sudden he got upset and said, "Oh, hell!" I was like, what?? He pulled his hands up to show me that his wedding ring had come off while he was feeling around for the camera. It was also lost in the creek! Oh FFS!

So, kayaking didn't happen. We took everything home and grabbed some rakes, went back to the creek and started manually dredging it in an effort to find my camera and hubby's wedding ring (that may count as a workout, raking muck out of the creek). When we had no luck with blindly dredging, we went and rented a metal detector (apparently you can use metal detectors in water as long as you don't get the electrical components at the top wet). We used the metal detector in the creek for over 2 hours but still no luck. So long story short, we didn't go kayaking and we lost a camera and hubby's wedding ring. It was not a good day. It really sucked.

So on Sunday, I took a pity party rest day. I stayed in my pajamas and played the Sims and ate ice cream. Did not exercise at all because I was so bummed about the camera and the ring. Then, that evening my mother called me. She had bought me the camera for my birthday, so I thought she just wanted to talk about that or whatever. Nope, she wanted to talk about something else. This is the good part of the weekend. So my mom is a marathon runner, she has run one marathon in each of the 50 US states and now she's working on running one marathon on each continent. She hasn't done Asia yet, so she called to say that she's decided to run a marathon in Japan next spring. And, she's taking me with her and she's paying for everything! I get a free trip to Japan!! It's not until next year, but I'm already SO excited. I don't have a lot of money and can't really afford to travel. Getting a free trip is amazing, particularly to somewhere as cool as Japan! And my mom is usually fun to travel with, so it should be a really awesome time. Now I need to study so that I know how to say some things in Japanese - at the very least, I need to be able to ask where the bathroom is, ha ha. (I know a few words in Japanese, like konichiwa is hello and domo arigato is thanks, but I want to learn as much as I can as I don't think I can get by in a foreign country with only hello and thanks in my vocabulary.)

So yeah, it was a weekend of ups and downs for sure! Today I'm just hoping for normalcy. I'm refocusing and going to the gym and eating healthier (no more ice cream for dinner, ha ha). I still feel a lot of anxiety about the events of the weekend so a workout should hopefully help me feel mentally better (it usually does). I haven't thought about my workout plans for the rest of the week yet. One day at a time right now!

Edited: Hattie, I was writing my post as you were posting yours! I'm so glad I could help, that makes me happy. Good luck with the soy protein!
05-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #1547
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 5/27/15: Not feeling so great today. The weather has been rainy for days now and when that happens I usually get a headache. I've felt on the verge of a headache for the past couple days, and this morning when I woke up I had a nasty headache. Also, I had salad for dinner last night, and although salad has been going fine for me lately, last night my guts decided they didn't want salad. I ended up having awful cramps and a lot of d! Ugh, so much for trying to eat healthy. So between the guts and the headache, I'm feeling rather bleh.

On the plus side, I learned how to say bathroom/toilet in Japanese: otearai / toire. I'm going to try to learn at least one word/phrase per day until my trip. I need to download some learning Japanese podcasts - maybe then I can pick up some vocab during my workouts and/or when I'm in the car. I know I'll never be able to read/write Japanese (stupid Kanji!) but I should be able to learn to at least speak a bit and understand some basic spoken Japanese. I have a little over 10 months to learn. Currently trying to incorporate more J-pop into my workout playlist too, as right now it's mainly K-pop (I looove Korea and am actually slightly disappointed that the trip is to Japan and not to South Korea - unlike Japanese, I can read and write in Korean!). Anyway, so yeah, trying to infuse the Japanese language into my daily life & workouts.

If the weather is nice this evening and I'm feeling up to it, I'm going to walk my dog tonight. If the weather isn't so nice then I will probably do yoga instead. Tomorrow will be weights. Haven't decided on what to do on Friday yet. Saturday, if it's nice out and if I'm feeling okay, I may ride my bike to the gym. We'll see. With how I'm feeling right now, I'm not going to be overly ambitious in my plans.
05-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #1548
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: My guts and head have both somewhat quieted down, and so did the weather. It went from rainy this morning, to sunny and gorgeous this afternoon. So, I'll be taking my dog to the park shortly! I'm looking forward to getting out in the sunshine.
05-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #1549
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 5/28/15: I walked my dog yesterday and that was fine for the most part (she got a bit aggressive with some other dogs in the park - sometimes she gets in a snippy mood with other dogs, not sure why). The weather was gorgeous and I felt pretty well on our walk. Slept so-so last night and feel a bit tired today. Head and guts are doing okay though and I'm going to go to the gym for some weights today. If I have enough energy and if the weather stays nice, then I'll walk my dog again tonight.

I still haven't decided what to do tomorrow. It's supposed to rain (again, ugh) tomorrow, so I'm leaning towards yoga. Saturday I'm hoping the weather is nice enough to ride my bike to the gym - if it's bad weather, I'll still go to the gym but not on my bicycle. Sunday is probably going to be a rest day, although I'm sure I'll do yard work and probably walk the dog too if it's nice outside. So much of what I do seems to depend on the weather!
05-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #1550
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 5/29/15: I did weights yesterday and that went mostly okay. I had a few abdominal pains during my workout, so I avoided the abdominals machine. Other than that, it went fine, and no further pains since then. I also walked my dog yesterday evening, we met up with her usual "pack" (2 corgis, 2 blue heeler mixes, and a beagle). As I mentioned in my last post, she sometimes gets a bit aggressive with other dogs - she gets in a bad mood or something, I'm not sure why exactly but she'll growl rather than play sometimes. But with her "pack", she is never aggressive. She gets along well with all those dogs, they're her buddies. So I love it when we can hang out with those particular dogs and their people!

I was thinking yoga tonight, but I'm utterly exhausted. I nearly fell asleep on my lunch break, it's been a long day and I am going to take a rest day instead of doing yoga. Still planning on hitting the gym for weights tomorrow - it looks like rain in the forecast yet again though so I likely won't be bicycling there after all.
06-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #1551
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/2/15: I had an okay weekend. Made it to the gym on Saturday - it was rainy and cold so no bike ride there but I did go to the gym nonetheless. Did a nice long workout and afterwards kept busy doing some stuff around the house. Sunday, it was sunny so I walked the dog and did a few more things around the house.

Yesterday I hit the little gym for weights. I felt fine during my workout. Later that day, though, in the evening, my guts got pretty upset. I had a bunch of d and cramps. I still feel pretty yucky this morning, not sure exactly why as I ate safe foods and can't think of anything I did to trigger this. Just a fun random bad gut day! Yuck. So I'm pretty sure today is a rest day - if I feel decent in the evening then I might do yoga, but if I'm not up to it then it's a rest day. Tomorrow I'm hoping to go to the gym for weights, hopefully this bad day won't extend into multiple days. Just going to do what I can.
06-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #1552
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/3/15: I ended up walking my dog last night, so it wasn't a total rest day. We met up with her usual "pack" and had a nice long walk. The weather was gorgeous and I felt okay.

Still feeling okay today. Not stellar, but not bad either. I am feeling okay enough to work out, so I'll be heading to the big gym with hubby this evening. The tentative plan for the rest of the week: If I'm feeling okay tomorrow, I'll do 30 mins on the stationary bike. We *finally* got a new stationary bike in the little gym (the old one had been broken for months). The new one is pretty nice so I'm hoping to give it a test ride on my lunch break tomorrow. Friday, weights in the little gym. Saturday, probably a rest day - my mother is coming for a visit and we're going to discuss our upcoming Japan trip. Once my mother leaves, I might walk the dog, but otherwise it's going to be a rest day. Sunday, weights and I might ride my bike to the gym. That's the tentative plan!
06-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #1553
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/4/15: I went to the gym last night and did a pretty intense workout, including abdominals. I felt okay until just before bedtime, then I had a bunch of diarrhea. And again this morning, more d. Not so much cramping this time, I definitely feel less bleh than the last bout of d. So, an improvement of sorts. I don't know if it's my stomach just not wanting to do exercise at all or what, the episodes of d lately seem to be happening after workouts. But it's not immediately after workouts, it's always just before bedtime that it starts. So even if I worked out at noon that day, at like 9 or 10 PM it's d time. I don't know why, it's weird. At any rate, it's not enough to deter me from working out. If this is the price I'm paying lately for going to the gym, that's something I accept and can deal with.

I'm going to do 30 mins on the new stationary bike in the little gym on my lunch break today. Looking forward to it, I feel like I've been somewhat lacking in cardio lately. Tomorrow will be weights, probably in the little gym on my lunch break.
06-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #1554
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/5/15: I went to the gym yesterday and did 30 mins on the new stationary bike. Wow, the seat on that bike is extremely uncomfortable! And I don't know if I was leaning a bit to the side because of the seat or what, but my right hip (the bad hip) ended up feeling a little bit painful by the end of my workout - it's usually fine after a bike ride so I'm not really sure what happened there. It's still a bit sore today although not bad at all (I'm not limping, I don't need my cane today, it's just barely noticeable and I've had much worse pain from that hip). So I guess I will be sitting on a towel or something the next time I use that stationary bike, in an effort to keep my backside and hips pain-free!

Last night I had more d and cramps. Getting sick of this. This morning I just passed a ton of gas. I feel okay, I don't feel too fatigued or anything. Just getting frustrated by the cycle of having d and cramps every single night before bedtime.

I should mention this - so I work a desk job, I basically sit for 8 hours a day. I decided to get a yoga ball to sit on, as I've heard that can help with posture and core strength - it's supposedly much better to sit on a yoga ball than to sit in a chair all day. So I've been doing that for about a week now. So far so good, I think it is helping with my posture (I tend to slouch a lot!). It's not upsetting my guts or anything like that, and it's quite comfortable on my backside and hips. So, hopefully it's helping, and it's definitely not hurting (unless it's the cause of the bedtime d & cramps, but I don't think it is).

Today the plan is to hit the little gym for weights. I'll probably walk my dog after work, too. I also need to clean up my house a bit since my mother is coming over tomorrow, and if I have time I also need to squeeze in some grocery shopping! So I'll have a busy evening if I manage to do all that! Tomorrow I'll probably walk the dog in the morning before my mother gets to my house, and other than that it's likely going to be a rest day. Sunday I'll go to the gym - once again it's supposed to rain (90% chance of thunderstorms according to the forecast), so I won't be able to ride my bike there.
06-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #1555
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I got hit with some waves of nausea a little while ago. Took some Zofran and that's just kicking in now. I'm still planning on going to the gym shortly, but I am going to go easy and refrain from any abdominal exercises (yet again). Is there any wonder why I have toned arms and legs but a flabby midsection?? Ugh. Slightly frustrating but yet another thing I can work around and deal with. I'm just going to focus on arms and legs and let my belly rest for the ten millionth time. I sound like such a broken record at this point! And I know I shouldn't complain, I'm still able to exercise, just with frustrating limitations that really make me grumpy sometimes. Stupid broken body.
06-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #1556
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/8/15: I had a fairly rough weekend. Did manage to go to the gym on Friday afternoon, and walked my dog on Friday evening. Walked the dog again on Saturday morning. Had lunch with my mom and brother on Saturday and that's when a migraine began. My brother is crazy - he's apparently warped his brain from drug use and as a result he's just sort of nuts. He's fixated on a certain 2016 presidential candidate (someone I'd never vote for) and my brother just goes on and on and on forever about how wonderful his candidate is. I've had at least 3 lectures from my brother on the subject of this candidate, and each time my brother talks for at least an hour, sometimes two.

So anyway, I felt a migraine start to come on as soon as my brother started in about how great his candidate is. Ughhh. I need to lay down the law next time, if my brother doesn't stop talking about this candidate then I just need to leave immediately. I can't deal with this anymore and there's still a year and a half to go until the stupid election. So I ended up with a migraine for the rest of the weekend, it was quite bad yesterday and I didn't do anything - didn't walk the dog, didn't make it to the gym. Sat on the couch and crocheted a scarf and played the Sims for a bit. Today I'm still feeling somewhat migrainey although better than I was, I think it's easing up.

Don't have a fitness plan in mind yet for this week since I need to get more over this migraine first. I'd love to go to the gym tomorrow, so that's what I'm aiming for.
06-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #1557
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I forgot to mention, I had a GI appointment today! It was a good appointment. I wasn't feeling stellar this morning - nausea, bathroom trips, and I just felt sort of weak and shakey. So my GI decided to check my fecal calprotectin to see if we can pin down why I'm feeling kind of crummy - I haven't actually had that test done before (my GI's clinic apparently just started doing fecal cal tests regularly), so I'll do that tonight and send it to the lab tomorrow. I'm interested to see what the result is - knowing me, it'll surely be normal since my IBD really, really loves to hide on test results. But anyway, having a new non-invasive test is always interesting. And if it does show that I'm inflamed, then I guess that will explain why I've been having more d and nausea the past couple of weeks. So win win I guess? Either I'm still in remission or I have an explanation for feeling a bit crappy.

And I'm feeling somewhat less crappy this afternoon. I had zero appetite all morning, but I was just able to eat a late lunch and am still feeling reasonably okay (I'm not going to barf, at any rate - I had a small cup of soup for my mid-morning snack and did feel rather barfy after that, so this is an improvement). The migraine seems to be on its way out, too. Still going to rest today and re-assess how I feel tomorrow. Hoping to go to the gym tomorrow but will continue to rest if I have to.
06-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #1558
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/9/15: I turned in my stool sample to the lab this morning, so hopefully I'll know my fecal cal result soon. I also had some bloodwork done yesterday (checking on my iron levels mainly) so it'll be interesting to see the results of all of this.

I'm feeling okay today - I do have an appetite, I don't feel nauseous, migraine is about 95% gone. I did have a wicked gut cramp earlier this morning, but the guts have been quiet since then and hopefully will stay quiet. At any rate, I think I'm okay to do a workout today. So hubby and I are planning to hit the big gym tonight.

It's possible (not probable though) that I may be able to get a massage tomorrow. My massage therapist is a friend of ours and his life is basically a train wreck (in the past couple years he's gotten divorced, his dad died, his car got repossessed, and just last month he got evicted from his apartment). So it's been difficult to pin him down and get a massage! My back hasn't been feeling too bad lately, but when I get migraines I often get pain that radiates around from my sinuses to the back of my head and down through my neck, so getting a massage can help with that. Anyway, so there's a small chance I'll get to have a massage tomorrow.

I still haven't planned out the rest of the week fitness-wise as I just don't know how I'm going to feel on a day to day basis these days. So I'm just taking it one day at a time right now. Hopefully either a massage or some form of exercise tomorrow but I won't know until I get to tomorrow.
06-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #1559
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/10/15: I didn't make it to the gym yesterday. By the time I was done with work, I had completely run out of energy. Also, my lower abdomen was giving me some prickly pains. I opted to rest instead. Had another couple episodes of d & cramping before bed. Today I still feel exhausted and somewhat nauseous, guts are pretty unsettled. Having a very bleh time lately. So I guess I'm going to continue to rest, which is frustrating but it's what my body needs right now. Ugh.

I am trying an experiment. The weather has been warmer lately so the air conditioning has been on at both home & work. My allergies have gone crazy because of this - I think the air conditioning must kick up a bunch of junk in the air that my sinuses really do not like. Up until today I've just been dealing with it without any medication. But then I remembered hearing that there are a lot of histamine receptors in the gut - maybe that's why my guts have been weird lately? So, I took a Claritin today to see if that helps my guts at all. I'm doubtful but it can't hurt, and it should at least make my sinuses behave if nothing else.
06-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #1560
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/11/15: What a difference - I'm feeling much better today! I made two changes recently and I'm not sure which one (or both?) made the difference. I started taking Claritin daily for allergies (been sniffling & sneezing a bit less, not sure if it helped my guts or not), and I have stopped using a yoga ball for a desk chair and went back to sitting in a regular chair at my desk at work. I think swapping the ball for my chair did make a difference. Yesterday morning I felt pretty awful, and sitting on the yoga ball was clearly not improving my guts - my abdomen muscles felt so tight and kind of angry. So I switched to the chair at about noon, and then lo and behold I started improving. I guess sitting on the ball just put too much pressure on my core muscles. So I'm glad to have (I think) found what was causing me some issues, but I am frustrated that I can't even do that little bit to work on my core.

Anyway, so I'm feeling well enough today (no nausea, appetite is back, didn't have d last night nor this morning, just the normal amount of tired and not totally exhausted) - so I'm planning to hit the little gym on my lunch break today for weights. Since my abdominal area hasn't been well lately, I'm going to skip doing any ab work for awhile. Maybe if I let things heal up, then in a week or two maybe I can go back to doing some ab exercises and/or sitting on the yoga ball part of the day. Even though it never ever goes well, I stubbornly refuse to give up on working my abdominal muscles!