Share Facebook

06-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #1561
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/12/15: I'm still doing pretty well today. I haven't had any d in 2 days now so I guess the stupid yoga ball chair was indeed the problem. I went to the gym yesterday and didn't do any ab work at all, not even a plank. It felt good - everything felt slightly more difficult, probably because I hadn't been to the gym in a few days. I feel a bit sore today too although not bad. I guess that's what I get for missing some workouts.

Since I'm a bit sore, today's probably a rest day. At most I might walk the dog tonight. Tomorrow, I'd really love to ride my bike to the gym. We'll see if my body and the weather cooperate and let me do a bike ride. If not, I hope to go to the gym regardless. I'll probably also do a bit of yard work if the weather is decent. Sunday it's supposed to rain all day, so I will stay in and maybe do some cardio on my rowing machine if I'm still feeling okay. Plans are still tentative as I really have no idea how I'm going to feel from day to day!
06-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #1562
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: It's been stubbornly trying to rain all day (the forecast said only rain in the morning, but it's 3 PM and still mist-raining outside) so I guess I'm not walking the dog. I will stay in and rest. Still planning to go to the gym tomorrow - there's currently no rain in the forecast for tomorrow so hopefully I can ride my bike there!
06-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #1563
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
It rained a lot here today, I made my dog come out in the rain.
06-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #1564
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
It's been raining a ton here and the stupid weather forecasters never get it quite right. Saturday was supposed to be nice weather and Sunday was supposed to be very rainy. Instead, Saturday was very rainy and Sunday was nice weather. It makes it difficult for me to plan bike rides and dog walks when they get the forecast absolutely wrong! Ugh, oh well.

My dog hates the rain too, I also have to make her go out in the rain when it's time for her to potty or whatever. She hates anything to do with water. Swimming, baths, rain, she hates it all. Snow, though, she loves. It's like her favorite thing ever - the first snow of the season, her eyes get big and she starts running all around in it as fast as she can! It's hilarious, she'll zoom this way and that. Within 10 minutes, my entire yard is nothing but dog tracks in the snow.

Anyway, I should give a fitness update. I felt pretty good all weekend long. I wasn't super energetic on Saturday but I did get to the gym. Obviously didn't ride my bike there with all the rain that we weren't supposed to get! Once again I left my abdominal muscles alone, didn't so much as do a plank. Sunday it was sunny and hot outside so I did some yard work and also walked the dog. It was quite hot and humid out so we didn't walk much - we actually met up with my dog's friends, everyone was hanging out in a shady area under some trees, so we got to cool down there for a while. That was nice.

Today, I'm heading to the big gym after work with hubby. He works 6 days this week and today is his only day off, so I was figuring he wouldn't want to work out, but just the opposite - he recognized that today is his only chance to go to the gym, so he jumped at the chance. This is good, usually I have to drag him along to the gym with me (even with this change in attitude, he still won't go to the gym by himself or without me, which is why today is his only chance as our schedules don't line up on days when he's working). The big gym is sometimes really crowded on Monday evenings, so I'm anticipating some frustration and having to wait for certain machines, etc. Hopefully it won't be too bad, though - the big gym does tend to be more empty during the summer, so hopefully it's not too crowded tonight.

Tomorrow and Wednesday, I have to take a class so I'll be doing that instead of going to work. The place where the class will be held is only a few miles away (2.7 miles according to google maps) from my house, it's downtown so the parking situation is iffy so I'm not keen on driving my car there - so I am planning to ride my bike to and from the class. As long as it doesn't rain again! The forecast is currently saying sunny tomorrow and 50% chance of rain Wednesday, so we'll see what actually happens weather-wise. As inaccurate as the weather report has been lately, it's anybody's guess.

So yes, the tentative plan is to do short easy bike rides to class Tues & Wed - I'll ride my cruiser bike (not my road bike), since the cruiser has a basket and I can throw my purse and stuff in there - the cruiser is ideal for shorter rides anyway so that's perfect - I'll cruise slowly and leisurely so as not to get too sweaty! Probably also will walk my dog after class on Tues, and will go to the gym for weights after class on Wed. Haven't decided yet what to do past Wednesday - will assess after my class how I'm doing and what I'm up for.
06-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #1565
Hattie95

My Support Groups:
Awww your dog sounds so cute! What breed is he/she?
I'm glad to hear you're feeling a bit better, I hope it stays that way. Can I ask what your class is for? I hope it goes well for you ️ and have fun in the gym!
06-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #1566
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My dog is a corgi. Her name is Lily. Here's my dog and my cat (sorry, this photo is kind of big!).

My class is for spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel) - I already know Excel pretty well, but this class is supposedly going to teach some advanced Excel tricks. Hopefully I learn some new things but I think mostly this class is going to involve me trying to stay awake.
06-16-2015, 07:30 AM   #1567
Hattie95

My Support Groups:
Awww she's so adorable! And your cat is cute too, looks so sleepy in the picture. ️ My boyfriend and I are seriously considering getting a pug, I love them so much and the company would be nice since I'm home a lot at the moment. Plus a dog forces you to go out and walk so that's definitely a good thing too!
Oh that's great, fingers crossed you actually learn something haha. And that you stay awake, good luck!
06-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #1568
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I know I've seen pics of your dog before, but I'll say she's gorgeous again anyway. And your cat. What's the cat's name? My dog loves snow also, but we don't get very much here. Plenty of rain though.
06-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #1569
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My cat's name is Lydia and my dog is Lily - and no, we didn't plan for them to have similar names! I got my cat in 2003, she was a stray kitten. She had been ill with worms, mites, and an upper respiratory infection so she was in kind of a sad state at first. At one point when nursing her back to health, I gave her a bath, and when she got out of the bath her black fur was all spiky and looked like Lydia's hair in Beetlejuice, ha ha. So that's how she got her name.

Then in 2010 I got my dog - we had bought a house near a dog park and were looking for a corgi-mix. Then at work one day I heard through the grapevine that a co-worker had a purebred corgi to give away, and I jumped at the chance. She was 2 years old, fully trained including crate trained, no health issues, super smart and friendly, just a perfect dog! Her previous owners had named her Lily so we kept the name since it's a fine name and it would be confusing for her to suddenly have a new name. So yeah, my pets just happen to have similar names by chance!

I'm back from my class and I've got some good fitness updates. Monday evening I went to the big gym with hubby. It was pretty busy there but not crazy busy, and I was able to accomplish everything I wanted to (still avoiding any sort of abdominal exercises). I didn't sleep well Monday night though and on Tuesday I felt pretty rough - d and nausea and just plain exhausted. I had decided to bicycle to my class as it was something like 2.7 miles from my house which isn't far at all, so even though I felt yucky, I made myself ride my bike (I did ride quite slowly, and I took my cruiser bike which is easier on my stomach than my road bike is). Took a bunch of Zofran and was able to eat a little bit of lunch (some toast and scrambled eggs), and started feeling better after lunch. Rode home and felt fairly okay. I even felt okay enough that evening to go grocery shopping and do laundry, so I stayed fairly active that day.

Yesterday I felt quite good - rode my bike to class and felt fine. Had an appetite and ate a big lunch, and had a nice bike ride home. I had wanted to lift weights, but didn't feel like driving to the gym, so I just used my dumbbells and weight bench at home to do a weights workout. After that, I walked my dog too - I was extremely active yesterday! Today I'm a bit sore but not too bad. I think today is a rest day for the most part - I might walk my dog this evening but that'll be it.

Tomorrow I'll hit the little gym for weights. Saturday, haven't decided yet - probably yard work and walking my dog. The weather is supposed to be sunny and warm all weekend so I'll definitely take advantage of that and go outdoors a lot. Sunday, I'm thinking I'll ride my bike to the big gym, do weights at the gym and then ride home. That's always a fun workout and I'm looking forward to it.
06-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #1570
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/22/15: I had a pretty active weekend. Friday I hit the little gym on my lunch break and did a quickie weights workout. Once again, I avoided doing anything with my abdominal muscles. That's been going okay so far. I think I'm going to give it a couple more weeks, then start re-introducing just a few ab exercises here and there, namely planks, and see how that goes.

Saturday ended up being mostly a rest day. I had wanted to do yard work as it wasn't supposed to rain until after 6 PM on Saturday. But once again, the idiot weather forecasters got it completely wrong. It rained all day morning and afternoon and then stopped raining at 6 PM! Ugh. So I didn't get to do any yard work. I mostly did stuff around the house, ventured out and did a bit of grocery shopping, etc. Wasn't able to walk the dog or anything outside though.

Sunday I was far more active - it was very warm (85 Fahrenheit) and quite humid, which is weather that my guts tend to really dislike. But I decided anyway that I was going to ride my bike to the gym, so I did. I took the road bike this time since I had ridden my cruiser bike earlier in the week. It was quite hot riding to the gym so I got pretty sweaty before I even got there! I did weights (again no abdominals), and stretching and then rode home. The ride home felt pretty difficult - I think it was the heat, it sapped my strength. Plus I was riding into the wind on the way home so that didn't help.

When I got home, I realized I still had to do yard work. I've got this horrible unidentified large shrub in my yard - it's not a rose bush, it has no flowers, but it's got a ton of thorns/spikes like a rose bush has. Even with wearing gloves, you can't even lightly touch the stupid thing without pricking yourself, it's really a horrible shrub and not even pretty. So I had decided that I wanted to cut it down, dig up the stump, and plant something nicer in its place (I'm thinking either an apple tree or a cherry tree - I can put the fruit in my juicer). So after my workout & bike ride on Sunday, even though I was already too warm and risking making my guts angry, I went back outside and started chopping down my awful spike shrub. I spent something like 2 hours chopping and very carefully taking the chopped off bits up to the front curb to dispose of them (even though I was careful, I got poked a zillion times and had to dig out one really badly embedded splinter). I knew I was overdoing it and the heat and humidity were starting to affect my guts. I did manage to chop the entire stupid thing down which felt like a great achievement! Didn't have the energy to dig up the stump, that will have to wait for another day. And I'm glad I didn't try, I had already done too much in the heat. Literally the second I got inside my house and sat down, my guts went into a wicked cramp and I had to run for the bathroom. Fortunately I only had 2 bad episodes of cramps and 1 episode of d - it could have been a lot worse considering how long I had been out in the heat & humidity.

Here's how significantly the heat affected me - I got a new bathroom scale and I weighed myself on Sunday morning - 144 lbs. I weighed myself again right after the cramps and d - I had sweated a ton during both my workout and my yard work, and even though I had drank a lot of water & sports drinks I still had lost a lot of fluids, and my weight after all was said and done was 140. I lost 4 lbs in a single day just from sweating and d! (And not even that much d.) Yikes!

Today I'm feeling pretty sore, probably the result of overdoing things yesterday. We're having a really bad rainstorm today (torrential downpours, lots of thunder, a possibility of large hail and high winds and even tornadoes) so I'm staying indoors! I still need something to do on my lunch break though (I hate just sitting in the lunch room, I either need to get out and run errands or I need to work out on my lunch break) so since going out isn't an option today, I'm going to head down to the gym for some gentle yoga on my lunch break. I won't overdo things at all since I overdid things so much yesterday, I'm just planning on taking it very easy and being nice to my body today. And hey, if there's a tornado then I'll already be in the basement so it's a win-win.

Tomorrow I'm doing weights - possibly with hubby in the big gym. Wednesday, haven't decided yet - maybe will just walk the dog after work if the weather is nice. Thursday I'm doing weights - can't go on my lunch hour as I have a dentist appointment, so I'll either go to the big gym after work or just work out from home using my weight bench & dumbbells. Friday, haven't decided yet. Saturday, hoping to ride my bike to the big gym again for weights (I will try not to do hours of strenuous yard work afterwards this time!). Sunday is likely a rest day as I have to go have lunch with my family and it's my turn to pick up and drive my grandparents to the restaurant. So yeah, that's the tentative plan for now.
06-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #1571
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today - there was a nice break in between thunderstorms, the sun came out for a couple of hours in the middle of the day so I ended up going outside on my lunch break after all (I just went to the park and read a book for an hour which was nice and relaxing). So yoga didn't happen but that's fine, I'm sore enough that today can be a rest day. We're due for more storms shortly so I'm going to cuddle up on my sofa with my crocheting and a good movie. Tomorrow hopefully I'll be recharged and ready to hit the weights again.
06-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #1572
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/23/15: I'm glad I rested yesterday. Still feeling a teeny bit sore, and a little tired today. Hubby doesn't work this evening though so we are going to the big gym together tonight for weights. I'm not feeling super energetic but I'll muddle through. A workout usually makes me feel better, anyway, so I know it'll be good to do even if I don't feel particularly enthusiastic today.
06-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #1573
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/24/15: Lately I seem to be having about one bad day per week. And today seems to be my bad day for this week! I brought it on myself by eating poorly yesterday. I made some really bad food choices. Firstly, yesterday afternoon I was searching through my purse for something, and I came across a bag of candy that I had forgotten was in there. So of course I was like, ooh candy! And I ate the whole bag. Ugh, I should not have done that. It triggered a bit of reflux and nausea, my tummy was not pleased that I ate so much candy.

In spite of the candy, I went to the gym last night and I got through a workout - didn't feel particularly energetic but I made it through and felt okay. Then after working out, hubby and I decided to pick up some dinner. I was so good in that regard - we went to the falafel place, and I had the option of rice or french fries with my meal, and I opted for rice (usually I get fries). My dinner was pretty healthy - lamb shawarma with hummus. But after dinner I was still a bit hungry, so I told myself I'd just have a teeny bit of ice cream. Yeah, so it didn't end up being a teeny bit - I ate a lot. And of course I'm lactose intolerant so that made my guts more upset. I ended up having crampy d before bed, and slept really poorly last night. Then, to top it all off, I woke up with a really stiff & sore back - not sure if I tweaked my back during my workout, or if I slept on it funny, or both? So, today I'm feeling unwell guts-wise and my back is not good, plus I'm exhausted. Bleh.

I'm obviously going to make an effort to get my eating habits back on track today. If my stomach and back both start feeling better, then I'll attempt to walk the dog tonight. If not, then it's a rest day. I don't want things to become worse particularly with my back, so I would wager that I'll probably end up resting and not walking. Still aiming to do a weights workout tomorrow, so that's my main focus right now - getting myself feeling well enough to accomplish that tomorrow. If today ends up being a rest day then so be it.
06-25-2015, 09:00 AM   #1574
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/25/15: I did mostly rest yesterday. A co-worker had given me some plants for my garden, so we needed to plant those - that was the most activity I did all day. Hubby did most of the work to plant the plants - bending and kneeling was not pleasant with a sore back so I wasn't able to help a lot, but I did what I could. I slept a bit better last night and I feel less awful today - guts are improving, back is less sore (still pretty stiff though) and I'm not as exhausted. Still not great but on the upswing.

I think I'm going to do weights from home tonight with my weight bench & dumbbells. I won't push myself too much and I plan to do a lot of stretching in an effort to not be so stiff and sore. Tomorrow I am thinking I'll just walk the dog after work if it's not raining and that will probably be it. Hubby is working at an event out of town all weekend, so it'll just be me and the pets this weekend (which is kind of nice, I'm a huge introvert so getting a whole weekend of "me time" is something I look forward to). So I'll be the sole person on dog walking duty from Friday thru Sunday since hubby won't be around. Still planning on going to the gym on Saturday, and will walk the dog afterwards if I have the energy to do so and if the weather cooperates. Sunday I'll probably walk her in the evening after I get back from my family lunch - my grandparents tire out easily so I should be home by early afternoon and will have ample time for walking (again, if the weather cooperates - it looks like a lot of rain in the forecast unfortunately). Oh, and speaking of my dog, it's almost Independence Day here in the US, and my dog is terrified of fireworks (even little firecrackers that make a small "pop" sound freak her out) so she's going to have a rough time. On Saturday night there are going to be fireworks not far from my house, so I'll have to comfort my poor dog. The upside of it being so rainy is that it discourages people from going outside and lighting fireworks/firecrackers!
06-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #1575
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
My dog's the same, she's scared of everything. She's always under some furniture on New Year's Eve and Bonfire Night.
06-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #1576
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm not familiar with what Bonfire Night is so I had to google it. Looks like it's something to do with Guy Fawkes day? I am only slightly familiar with Guy Fawkes day (and only because it's the day before my birthday, it's Nov 5 and my birthday is Nov 6), we don't really celebrate that one here in the US.

Yeah, my poor dog doesn't like fireworks nor thunder, and she's not even fond of the sound of rain at this point (I think because she's associated rain with thunder, not because she's afraid of rain by itself). Independence Day is a week from Saturday, but for some reason in my city there are going to be fireworks over one of the lakes this coming Saturday, a week early. I live about a mile from that particular lake so we'll surely be able to hear the fireworks from my house even with all the doors & windows shut. I am going to have extra treats on hand and some cuddles for poor scared Lily.

It's funny, my cat has never been afraid of any noises like that, and when she sees that the dog is downright terrified and literally shaking, it's almost as if the cat starts teasing the dog. The cat will act even more relaxed than usual, as if to show that the noise is so not a big deal to her and that she can be just soooo relaaaaxed. She'll make sure to be doing her extra relaxing right where the dog can see her, too. Sometimes I swear my pets are just like kids, ha ha.

So another quick update on the diet/fitness front: I once again ate something I shouldn't have. (That should be the title of my autobiography, hah.) My boss decided to order pizza for our department (there are only 4 of us total including the boss right now, and 1 co-worker never eats with us so that means pizza for 3 people). It looked and smelled so good, so I had some pizza. I didn't feel like I ate a ton, but afterwards I was SO bloated. Bleh! I had to go to the dentist for a cleaning right after that, so I was sitting in the dentist chair bloated and uncomfortable and trying not to belch pizza breath at the poor hygienist. My body hasn't punished me too much besides the bloating, though. So I guess I got off pretty easily. Still planning on doing weights in a little bit. I may attempt to walk the dog after weights - hubby's out of town work trip got extended, so he and his boss left today and won't be back until Monday afternoon now. Sheesh! I don't know if I have enough energy to both lift weights and walk the dog, so I'll just assess how I'm doing after weights. If I'm wiped out then we won't walk, Lily will just have to wait for Friday for walkies.
06-26-2015, 04:53 AM   #1577
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Sorry, yes, Bonfire Night is just another name for Guy Fawkes Night, which I know you don't have. It's a strange thing to celebrate. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

Is pizza hard on your stomach? I guess it depends what's on it too. It's always ok for me, my dad makes pizzas from scratch. Dough, pureed tomato and cheese are fine for me, then as long as I'm careful of the toppings, I have ham or tuna or something, it's ok.
06-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #1578
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yeah, pizza can be quite hard on my stomach - I should really avoid it but it's delicious and sometimes I can't resist. The cheese bothers me as I'm lactose intolerant. The tomato sauce also is problematic - the high acidity of it sometimes riles up my GERD (if the pizza is really greasy then that can also upset my GERD). Like you said, sometimes I'll make homemade "safe" pizza, using goat cheese (for some reason goat dairy doesn't bother me the way that cow dairy does) and a very small amount of sauce, and that's okay. But I often get into trouble when I try eating "real" pizza with regular cheese from cow dairy and a normal amount of tomato sauce.

Fitness update 6/26/15: I was feeling a bit tired yesterday evening but I did weights at home with my dumbbells. My left hamstring had a twinge of pain so I mainly focused on arms and did only a couple of leg exercises. Then, my left elbow started aching, ugh. So I didn't do a ton of weights, just a quickie workout. Since it was so quick, I decided that I would walk the dog after all as my hamstring was okay to walk on. We had a nice long walk although Lily got a bit aggressive with another dog at first. Then we met up with her "pack" of friends and she was fine... up until another dog unfamiliar to her approached the pack, then both Lily and this other dog decided to display a bit of aggression. Sigh! I don't know why, there are certain dogs she just doesn't get along with. As long as she's with her pack and just her pack, then she's fine. Her previous owners (who had her from puppyhood through age 2) didn't socialize her very well when she was a puppy, so I wonder if that has something to do with it. My dog just doesn't quite know how to "talk" to certain unfamiliar dogs or something like that.

Tonight I think I'll walk Lily again and hope for less aggression - usually, the more exercise she gets, the less aggressive she is (it's like she gets too tired to be aggressive, but if she doesn't walk enough then her emotions start getting pent up or something). We're supposed to get scattered rain showers today but hopefully they'll be done by evening. After our walk, I'm going to do a bit of grocery shopping. I've been crazy about peaches lately - I've discovered that I can eat peaches with zero trouble as long as I peel the skin off first, so I've been having a peeled peach almost every day lately. It's so delicious! But I ran out of peaches so I need to go buy more!

Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be nice (hopefully they're not wrong about the weather forecast yet again, ha ha) so the plan is still to ride my bike to the gym. Afterwards I hope to walk Lily again - I really hope I have enough energy to take her on a really long walk, so that she's very tired out and therefore hopefully won't be quite as bothered by the fireworks on Saturday night. I'm not sure if I can manage a bike ride, weights workout, another bike ride, and then a long walk - but I'm going to try. If I'm feeling like I might not be able to do it, I will opt to drive to the gym instead of bike there. Anyway, that's the plan for now!
06-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #1579
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/29/15: I had a pretty active weekend. Hubby was out of town, and when I'm alone I tend to be very proactive about keeping busy. Friday evening it was raining so I didn't walk the dog, but I did go grocery shopping.

Saturday was my busiest day of the weekend - I woke up early and went out to shop at some garage sales. Got myself some good bargains including a seriously gorgeous brand new (with tags!) lace skirt for $3 (I think the tags said the skirt cost $68 originally). It fits me perfectly, too. Score! After the garage sales, I went home and got myself ready to hit the gym. Rode my road bike there - it was quite a hot day and I got pretty sweaty before I even got to the gym. Did weights (still avoiding working my ab muscles), stretched and then rode home. Once I got home, I rested for a short bit, then took Lily on a really long walk in an effort to tire her out before the fireworks that night. It was still super warm out and I was afraid that my guts were going to get mad. Guts were mostly fine, however, my arthritic hips (particularly the right hip, the bad one) were not happy. I guess I overdid things with bike, weights, bike, and then walk - my hips were pretty much done and didn't want to walk, so I was getting a fair bit of hip pain. Still, it was within the realm of tolerable pain and I just pushed through and we managed to do a long walk. I didn't slow down once we got home, either. I did 2 loads of laundry, a load of dishes, and a lot of general straightening up. Oh, and I dyed my hair Saturday night! I didn't turn the TV on once the whole weekend because I just kept so busy the whole time.

Sunday was a rest day although I still kept busy - I had lunch with my grandparents which took up a big chunk of the day. Couldn't walk Lily because it was raining most of the afternoon & evening. So I did another load of dishes and tackled a lot of my sewing pile, and baked banana bread.

Today the hips are feeling okay - guts are a bit iffy but only because it's my "time of the month". I slept fairly well and am feeling pretty good overall. So, I'm going to hit the little gym on my lunch break today for weights. Hubby should get home at some point this afternoon/evening. If he's not home when I get home from work, then I might walk Lily. If he is home then I'm sure we'll just settle in and have a nice dinner. I haven't firmly planned out the rest of the week fitness-wise just yet. I'm sure I'll do weights again on Wednesday. Friday I have off for Independence Day, so I get a nice long weekend. I think hubby is working all weekend so I'll likely just head to the gym by myself on Fri & Sun, probably will ride my bike there if the weather cooperates. I'll try not to overdo things like I did on Saturday so as not to anger my hips and/or guts. Oh, and at some point this week I'd like to dig up the stump from the spiky shrub so that I can start looking for a fruit tree to put in that spot, maybe that'll be a project I can do over the long weekend. That'll be a workout in itself, digging up stumps is never easy! Maybe I'll do that on Saturday since I'm thinking gym on Fri & Sun.
06-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #1580
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 6/30/15: I made it through my workout yesterday. I wasn't particularly energetic, but I made it through. Today the plan is to walk the dog after work if the weather is nice, but other than that it's a rest day. Hips and guts are doing so-so. The bad hip is a bit achey and the guts are unsettled due to my time of the month, but it's all totally tolerable. Tomorrow I will hit the gym for weights - not sure yet if hubby is coming with me, so still unsure if I'll be hitting the little gym on my lunch hour or if we'll be going together to the big gym after work. I'll definitely do weights tomorrow at any rate.
07-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #1581
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/1/15: I walked Lily yesterday and that went well. We didn't meet up with her pack, but fortunately she was nice with the other dogs she met on our walk and didn't get too aggressive. It wasn't too warm nor too cool outside and it didn't rain - very nice walking weather! My bad hip was a bit achey last night though when I laid down to go to bed, and it's still not super happy today. Not sure what's up with that, if it's the rainy weather or the walk or what.

My hip isn't terrible and I'm still planning to hit the gym today. Hubby is off of work, but it's his one and only day off this week (he's been working a LOT lately which is a good thing as we need the money), so he could go to the gym with me, but he's opted not to. So, I'm heading to the little gym on my lunch break for weights. I've got some new music in my workout playlist and I'm excited to hit the gym!

Tomorrow is my Friday, since I have Friday off for the holiday (long weekend, yay!). Not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow. If my hip is still feeling iffy then I'll probably either rest or do yoga - walking isn't always the best when my hip is feeling less than stellar (anything high-impact is not hip-friendly, and walking is higher-impact than you'd think). So I likely will not walk the dog tomorrow, and possibly will take a rest day. Am just going to wait and see what the hip is feeling like tomorrow and then go from there.
07-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #1582
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/2/15: I hit the gym yesterday and felt pretty good. The bad hip was still giving me a little bit of pain, but it seems okay today. I did stretch it out quite a bit yesterday so maybe that helped. My "time of the month" is fortunately over so I'm less bloated and my guts are happier. Today I'm feeling pretty well and I think I'm up for doing some yoga. Going to focus on stretching everything out and being nice to my body.

Tomorrow I'm going to sleep in! Ha ha, looking forward to having an extra day off. I will probably eat a nice breakfast mid-morning and then ride my bike to the gym around noon - the weather is supposed to be nice (although the weather forecasters have been terrible with their accuracy lately so who knows). I'm very excited to have a 3-day weekend.
07-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #1583
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Enjoy the long weekend

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
07-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #1584
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks Hawkeye! I had a pretty nice weekend overall. Here's the recap:

Friday I did sleep in and it was lovely. I stuck to my plan to eat around 10 and bike to the gym around noon. It was a hot day, already a bit too hot for me by noon, so my guts weren't thrilled that I was out biking in the heat and humidity. Still, I managed to do everything I wanted - I made it to the gym, lifted weights & stretched, then biked home. I stayed indoors the rest of the day, catching up on chores like dishes & laundry.

Saturday I took the dog on a nice long walk in an effort to tire her out, since I knew there would be a lot of firecrackers and fireworks going off that night. That worked out okay - she definitely got tired, and once again it was a bit too hot. She still got pretty scared that evening once everyone started lighting off fireworks.

Sunday, I had been thinking of going to the gym again, but I just wasn't feeling it. I decided to have a lazy day and do absolutely nothing - I need that once in awhile, it seems. So I stayed in my pajamas all day, worked on some crafts, watched TV and played video games. I did nothing as far as exercise goes. I felt a bit guilty but I did what I needed to do. Usually on my "rest" days (non-weightlifting days) I still tend to walk the dog or whatever so I don't totally rest, and sometimes I just need a day of complete rest and doing nothing. So Sunday was that, a rare lazy day.

Today my guts aren't very good. Last night I had trouble falling asleep because my guts were so gurgly. I had a couple episodes of d before bed, pretty sure it's because I didn't eat well yesterday (ice cream for dinner, oops). Still, my guts are tolerable and not terrible, so I think I can do a workout today. Particularly since I'm still avoiding abdominal exercises, I can just focus on arms & legs and let my guts rest. So I'm going to head down to the little gym and do weights today. I feel like I can do it in spite of the d and gut gurgles. And after such a lazy day yesterday, I kind of miss the gym!

Speaking of the gym, so I have probably talked about this multiple times before but I *need* music to power my workouts. My favorite singer ever is Utada Hikaru, but she more or less walked away from her music career in 2010 and has only released one new song in the last 5 years. Her older music is still awesome and can still power my workouts, but I've been wistfully wishing for new music from her for years now. Well, over the weekend she announced that she's coming out with a new album very soon! I'm so excited, I love getting new music to listen to in the gym and I'm really happy that my favorite singer is finally coming out with a whole new album after she was basically off the radar for a long time. That just made me so happy!
07-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #1585
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I just got back from the gym. To my surprise, another co-worker was actually in the gym! (It's usually empty except for me.) She was just there to ride the new stationary bike so I still had the weight machines all to myself. And fortunately she was fine with me putting my music on and we chatted a little bit while I warmed up, but she didn't cramp my gym style at all (since the bike in the little gym was broken for so long, I got very good at warming up without using the bike, ha ha). This is one of my current favorite co-workers (the co-workers that I befriend all inevitably seem to quit so I have an ever changing roster of friends at work!). So that was an unexpected nice surprise, to be able to chat with my friend a bit. She's overweight and has some health issues, but she's been working lately at getting healthier, hence her going to the gym. I just love when people do that, it's like I get so excited for them that they're starting out on their fitness journey! I'm usually a loner when I'm in the gym, like when I go work out with hubby we each do our own things and just meet up when we're both done. But it is admittedly nice to have someone in the gym to say hi to, I don't really have any friends who are into fitness, but I love fitness and I love to talk about it, so I'm always excited when someone I know starts exercising. I'm probably just a huge dork, ha ha.

So I did my workout and I feel quite good. I've been eating safe, low-res foods all day (currently eating rice and salmon). My guts have recovered and feel pretty well, although I'm playing it safe just to be sure. My hip also feels good, like suspiciously good. I usually do my cool-down on the treadmill after I've lifted and stretched, and sometimes my hip(s) will click or sort of "stick" or just generally give me some mild pains when I walk. Today, my hips both felt really good - they felt nice and loose when I stretched them (lately the left hip has been quite tight) and not even a niggle of a pain when I was walking to cool down, and I felt like I was walking really "smoothly" like nothing was sticking. Maybe my lazy day yesterday helped my hips? I'm honestly not sure. I'll see what things are like after my next lazy day, I guess! It'll be interesting to see what happens. Maybe my hips need more rest than I've been giving them? Perhaps walking the dog on many of my rest days has been a bit detrimental and I need to just properly rest more? I'm not sure.
07-07-2015, 08:42 AM   #1586
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/7/15: I slept really poorly last night - not sure why. So I'm fairly exhausted today. I'm somewhat sore from my workout yesterday as well. I'm thinking a rest day might be in order. If I rest and sleep well tonight, then I should be set to lift weights tomorrow. So that's the plan. Hubby is back to working 1 day per week for the next couple weeks, so I'm dragging him to the big gym with me tomorrow. He's one of those people who hates exercise and won't willingly go to the gym by himself, but he likes how he feels after a workout and he likes having muscles. He's weird. He wants the benefits without the work. I feel like the work is the benefit and all that other stuff is just a bonus!
07-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #1587
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/8/15: I was so exhausted last night, I actually fell asleep right away when I got into bed (usually I'm awake for at least 20-30 mins before I'm able to finally fall asleep, I'm hardly ever able to just fall asleep right away). I zonked out and slept quite well for awhile... but it seems that my hubby wasn't able to sleep, so he got up at about 4 AM, and of course he banged into something in the hallway which made a lot of noise and jolted me awake. Ughhhh. I went from sound asleep to wide awake and adrenaline pumping due to the amount of noise he made, I was so mad! Couldn't successfully zonk back out again after that. I managed to doze here and there, but couldn't get back into deep sleep. So I got some good sleep up until about 4, but clearly not enough sleep, and I'm once again exhausted today and in a bad mood too. Seriously grumpy.

At any rate, I'm still planning on hitting the big gym tonight and I'm dragging my frustrating hubby with me. I am sure I won't be particularly energetic, and my muscles are still a bit sore from my workout on Monday, but I'm going to do what I can. A workout should make me less grumpy if nothing else. And hopefully tonight I'll finally get a good, uninterrupted night's sleep.
07-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #1588
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/9/15: Well, I'm kind of mad at myself. Hubby apparently misunderstood what I had told him about going to the gym after work. I got home and he had a hot dinner ready to go. I was like, wait, I thought we were going to the gym? He was like, I thought you wanted dinner first? Um, no. He knows I can't eat right before a workout so I don't know what he was thinking. But, I was exhausted and the food smelled really good and it would have been cold & icky if we waited until after a workout to eat. So I made the decision to skip the gym and just eat and rest instead. I know, I should have just done a workout - I'm taking too many rest days lately. I've just been so exhausted the past few days, eating dinner gave me an easy out.

I did manage to get some decent sleep last night and I feel a bit more rested today (still somewhat exhausted but not as bad as it's been). I told hubby we *are* definitely going to the gym tonight, no excuses and don't have dinner ready! I need to do a workout!

So this whole week has been weird and I haven't planned anything out in advance. Not really sure what I'm doing for fitness beyond today. I'm kind of thinking maybe a bike ride tomorrow evening, if I can drag hubby along that would be good. He's so out of shape when it comes to cardio. The one and only other time we took a bike ride together, we made it less than 2 miles when he started complaining that his legs were tired and his butt hurt and he wanted to go home. Ugh. I gave him some tips (he hadn't had his bike seat set to the proper height for his leg length which can make a big difference, so I told him how to adjust that properly) and I also bought him a gel seat cover. So hopefully our next ride together will involve less whining from him, ha ha.

Not sure about Saturday yet - I'd love to do weights again, but I'm having lunch with my mother and that always sort of sucks me into a vortex of eating too much and eating things I shouldn't, so I don't know how I'll be feeling after lunch but I'd wager I'll be overfull and uncomfortable since that's how it usually goes. Not sure if I can manage a workout after a lunch like that, at the very least I'll have to wait more than my usual 2 hours after eating. So I guess Saturday is a wait and see situation. If I can't hit the gym on Saturday, then I'll go on Sunday.
07-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #1589
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/10/15: Well, I managed to skip the gym again yesterday. I think it's a combination of feeling a bit lazy, being utterly exhausted, and running out of steam by the time I get home from work. I got home last night, was feeling very un-energetic, and hubby said he had to do yard work. So I offered to help him rather than go to the gym. I didn't do much, though - watered some plants, brushed the dog outside, and helped hubby remove some chicken-wire fence around our mint plants. Hubby did the more labor-intensive stuff like mow the lawn.

I think the issue is that my exhaustion just sort of snowballs throughout the day - particularly if I don't sleep well (and I haven't slept well this week), then I can at least power through work, but by the time work is over, I'm just done. So I've realized that during times like this, I really need to do a lunchtime workout, rather than an after work trip to the gym. I need to get my fitness fix earlier in the day while I still have enough energy to do so, before I'm completely wiped out.

So with that theory, I worked out on my lunch hour today, and it felt good. I'm still pretty exhausted and am looking forward to sleeping in on the weekend! Hubby and I are planning on going to the gym together on Sunday around lunchtime since he's finally got a weekend off. It's supposed to rain most of the weekend, so any outdoor exercise such as walking the dog or taking a bike ride are up in the air and completely dependent on what the weather does.
07-11-2015, 07:33 AM   #1590
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm having lunch with my mother
I love it when my parents come to town and we go out to lunch.