Share Facebook

07-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #1801
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another update for today: My friend at work ended up not being able to walk, her kid is sick so she had to run home to attend to that situation. So, I decided screw it, I'm going to the gym. I went. It wasn't super easy. My finger definitely gave me some pain. It's a bit more swollen than usual but I don't think ice is needed just yet - I'm just keeping an eye on it. In the gym I was having some throbbing pain, but now that my workout is over the throbbing in my finger has gone, thankfully. Moral of the story: Don't ever cut yourself with a hedge trimmer, because even 3 weeks later it'll still be difficult to work out.

But, I did my workout and I feel really good aside from my finger. I really needed that. I was feeling stressed and anxious earlier, and now I'm not. Depending on what my finger feels like tonight/tomorrow, that'll determine my future workouts. I really would like to either take a bike ride or get my new kayak out on the water this weekend, so that's what I'm hoping for. I'm not sure if I can properly work the brakes on my bike with my messed up finger (it's my index finger on my right hand), and I know from last weekend that kayaking definitely made my finger not happy. So, will just play it by ear and see how it's feeling.
07-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #1802
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/11/16: I was quite active this weekend. As I said, I had hit the gym on Friday. On Saturday, I had a very stressful visit with my grandmother (long story short, she's got bad dementia/alzheimer's and she was in a mood and talking about how everybody wants her to die so they can take her money and she was alternating between yelling and crying). So I walked the dog that afternoon to de-stress.

Sunday was a very active day. I started the day by taking my new kayak for a test run. It's pretty good, the only issue is that it's a bit too light (it's an inflatable kayak). It got stuck in weeds very easily and also any current/wind could easily blow it off course. So it was a bit of a challenge because of those things. I will aim to find calmer, less weedier waters for next time.

After kayaking, I had lunch and then went grocery shopping. Then I walked the dog. And after that I did a bunch of cleaning - straightened up the house, did 3 loads of dishes, vaccuumed, bleached the sinks and the toilet, etc. My house is super clean now! And I was exhausted after doing all that.

Today my lower back feels a bit sore - I think I tweaked a muscle just a little bit when I was kayaking. My finger also isn't super happy, it's a bit more swollen and tender than usual. I think it's upset about the kayaking and maybe just the cumulative amount of stuff that I did yesterday. So today I'm taking it easier, it's probably a rest day although I may walk the dog if the weather allows (it's hot & humid and we might get thunderstorms). I'm hoping to work out tomorrow, probably at my home gym. I've got a bunch of new equipment (foam roller, resistance band, yoga block) that I'd like to try out. Will see how I'm feeling, particularly my back and my finger, and will go from there. Hubby's working late every evening Tues - Fri this week, so I'll be on my own as far as workouts go. So I can basically do whatever I want - if I want to take out my new kayak for an hour, or if I want to ride my bike to the gym, I can do that. So I'm hoping to have some good and varied workouts this week, assuming my body plays nice and allows me to do so.
07-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #1803
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/12/16: My back and finger are both feeling somewhat better today. Not stellar but not awful either. Definitely tolerable. So I'm giving myself the green light to do some exercise today.

I'm going to take a lunch break walk with my friend at work. She's in a different department though and I think she only gets a 30 min lunch (I usually take an hour lunch). So, at any rate, we'll do at least a half hour of walking today and I'll see if I can sneak her away from her department for an hour if possible.

This evening I'm hoping to do some weights in my home gym. I will of course listen to my body, and if my back or finger give me any trouble or pain then I'll stop doing that particular exercise and will ease up on my workout in general.

I'd kind of love to do a bike ride tomorrow evening. We might get thunderstorms again so I will just play it by ear. I think my finger is doing well enough that I'd be able to work the brakes on my road bike.

Speaking of biking, it's amazon prime day so I glanced at the deals to see if there was anything good. I didn't think I'd buy anything, but I saw a small upright exercise bike for a really decent price. My current exercise bike at home is huge and pretty clunky (I bought it secondhand). So I bought the small upright bike and am putting my old clunky recumbent exercise bike out on the curb. My home gym is a pretty small space anyway so anything that saves space is a bonus - I'm really excited about this new bike. I use an exercise bike for the majority of my cardio during the winter months when I can't get out on my actual bike. So this will keep me biking all winter long. I'm excited!
07-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #1804
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/13/16: Bleh. My friend cancelled on me yesterday so we didn't walk. And I did something to screw up my back - it's been aching since Sunday/Monday off and on. It was mostly okay yesterday up until about an hour before I went home from work - then it started really hurting. So instead of doing a workout, I went home and did some stretching and used my foam roller to try to get my back feeling better. I think that helped. It still hurts a bit, but not as much. I don't want to exacerbate it, so I think it's safest to not work out today. That's frustrating. Guess I'll see how it's feeling tomorrow and go from there.
07-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #1805
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/14/16: My back is still aching, but it's improving. It's not as bad as it's been the past few days. So that's encouraging. I've been putting my heating pad on it in the evenings, and I figured out how to sleep so as not to aggravate it (I usually sleep on my left side, but after sleeping on my left side I'd wake up with bad back pains, so last night I slept on my right side and for some reason felt far less pain this morning).

I ordered a new exercise bike online and it should be arriving today. I'm sure there'll be some assembly involved, but if I can figure out how to put it together myself (hubby is working late again tonight), then I'm going to test it out tonight. My hips have been aching a bit from the lack of exercise lately, and I know my hips are always fine with me biking. And I am hoping that a bit of gentle cardio will help my back, too. So that's the tentative plan, presuming that I can put the thing together by myself.
07-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #1806
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/15/16: My back is continuing to improve, just a little bit of pain first thing this morning and no pain currently. I walked the dog yesterday and that didn't aggravate it either. So that's encouraging. I'm thinking that I'll try doing some weights today and see how that goes. I won't push myself too hard or anything, but I think I can do it.

Amazon lied, my exercise bike didn't show up yesterday. It's still in transit, it mysteriously got delayed even though I have prime. Hmph. So I'll test it out whenever I receive the stupid thing.

Tomorrow I'm going to my grandma's old condo (she's in a nursing home now) to help my family clean it out so that we can sell the condo. My grandma has hoarding tendencies including she hoards food even if it's way past the expiration date (she'll keep rotting, moldy food in her fridge). So that's going to be a fun time, hah. But I will be getting my exercise in that way - hauling stuff to the dumpster, hauling stuff to the thrift store, and for the few things that are worth keeping, hauling that to the storage unit. So I'll be lifting and moving a lot of things out of the condo tomorrow. Possibly doing the same thing on Sunday as well, depending on how much progress we make tomorrow.
07-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #1807
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/18/16: I spent the weekend at my grandma's condo, both Saturday and Sunday. My grandma has been a lifelong hoarder so it's been a massive undertaking to clean and empty out the condo! I spent basically the whole weekend at the condo, lifting things, carrying things, moving and organizing things. My grandma had so much stuff and a lot of it was heavy - expired cans of food that I carried to the trash pile, books that I carried to the donate pile, etc. I definitely got both my walking and my weightlifting in, that's for sure.

Today I'm taking it easier, it's a rest day although I might walk the dog. Tomorrow I plan to lift weights. I did finally receive my new exercise bike, and I got rid of the old exercise bike (put it out on the curb and somebody took it, yay). It's supposed to get really hot and humid out at the end of this week (95+ F) so I'm thinking that indoor workouts are going to be the name of the game. So I'll probably be using my new exercise bike at some point this week. I can use my treadmill at home and of course I have weights at home too. So I'm pretty well set to do an indoor workout or two.
07-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #1808
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/20/16: I rested on Monday and did a good weights workout yesterday, as planned. It's been awhile since I've done a full, proper weights workout, so that took a lot out of me! I felt really good but really exhausted too. And after my workout, I tried doing laundry. I had such jelly legs that I nearly fell down the basement stairs carrying my laundry down! I was okay, but just really unsteady on my feet. Note to self, don't do anything that involves stairs immediately after a workout.

I feel quite good today. We're at the start of the heat wave, so I won't be walking my dog until maybe Sunday at the earliest. No outdoor exercise of any type, it's just going to be too hot. So, I'm thinking today's a rest day to recover from yesterday. Tomorrow I'm going to do weights again, in the little gym at work on my lunch break. Friday I will also go to the little gym on my lunch break, for a cardio/stretching day. I'll do a ride on the stationary bike and I'll do some good stretching as well. Saturday is probably a rest day - my parents are coming to town to celebrate my brother's birthday and then after that hubby and I have to go pick up his new car (new to us anyway, it's my grandma's car but it's in good shape with low miles). Sunday I am thinking I'll do another weights workout at home, or if the weather is okay I might ride my bike to the big gym for weights. I think they said the heat wave will finally start to be over on Sunday, so I'll just keep an eye on the weather and play it by ear. If it's still too hot I will stay at home and work out.

On the subject of working out at home, my home gym is really just about perfect now. I recently got some new gym equipment and I love it. I got a new upright stationary bike and I used that yesterday to warm up - I really like it! I also got a new TV for my home gym. I know, that doesn't quite count as gym equipment, but it's much nicer than my old TV. And it has a built in Roku box, so I think I can get some workout shows/channels on it. (Not that I tried yet, I watched 2 episodes of Forensic Files yesterday during my workout, ha ha.)
07-21-2016, 01:17 AM   #1809
Keno132

Great fitness blog you got going here Cat!! This is great. Glad to see things are going well for you

-an old friend
07-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #1810
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/21/16: I rested yesterday and hit the little gym today. I was not feeling great going into my workout - I've got a bit of a headache, and my lower abdomen was somewhat crampy. It stayed crampy throughout most of my workout, but it wasn't bad enough that it stopped me from working out. I'm still somewhat crampy now and still headachey as well. I think it's this crazy weather, we're in a bad heat wave with high temps & high humidity. High heat & humidity tend to cramp up my guts, and changes in the weather can give me headaches, so I'm presuming that's the cause of my current symptoms.
07-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #1811
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/25/16: In my last post, I had mentioned that my guts were a bit crampy during my workout last week Thurs. Well, by Friday it had turned into what I suspect is a flare - lots of cramps, lots of d, lots of nausea. Getting up in the night to go and I've lost about 4 lbs just from Friday through now. No chills nor night sweats yet so I have some but not all of my typical flare symptoms.

Sooo, I'm waiting for my GI's nurse to get back to me - I called this morning and explained the situation and requested to have a course of Entocort. The nurse was on board with the idea, she just has to run it by my GI to be sure. So I'm just waiting on the call back now to confirm that that's what they're going to prescribe for me.

In the meantime, exercise is not happening. I feel very weak (probably from the lack of appetite and the weight loss) and a bit light-headed and still crampy & nauseous too. I don't think lifting weights would go over very well right now. I know I need to rest and I'm going to rest as much as I can. I'm just hoping to get the Entocort script as soon as possible (hopefully today!) and get started on that. It usually takes a week or two to kick in for me, so the sooner I start it, the sooner I can start feeling better and then hopefully get back to exercising.
07-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #1812
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: My GI put through the script for Entocort (actually the generic, Budesonide, but same thing). That's a huge relief. I really hope it kicks in quickly. There is a bicycling event that I'd love to go to on Sunday, so I'm hoping for the Entocort to have kicked in by then. Honestly, at this point, I'd just love to have an appetite - I've only eaten about 3 spoonfuls of mac & cheese and maybe 8 chips today and that's it. I don't have any appetite, and when I do eat it seems to go poorly. I'd lost about 4 lbs as of this morning and I've had 7 or 8 episodes of diarrhea plus eaten almost nothing all day, so I wouldn't be surprised if I've lost even more weight. The Entocort will help me heal and will give me my appetite back, and hopefully I can get back to the gym really soon too.
07-28-2016, 08:56 AM   #1813
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 7/28/16: I still don't have much appetite, but I've been eating somewhat more normally the past couple of days. I'm still having some diarrhea but it's down to only a few times a day (it was about 20 times in a day last week Friday). My weight is still down about 5 lbs. I haven't done any exercise yet but I'm hoping to soon. They're predicting thunderstorms off and on today, so if it's not raining tonight, I'd like to try and walk the dog. I think I can do it, and there are porta potties just outside the dog park if I have to make a run for it. So it just depends on the weather now. If not today, I'll aim for tomorrow. I just want to do something active, even if it's just walking, and the flare has improved enough that I feel like I can be okay on a walk.
08-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #1814
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 8/1/16: I tried walking the dog yesterday and unfortunately it went pretty badly. I felt quite light-headed and a few times I felt like I might pass out. I literally had to give myself a "don't pass out" pep talk. And I felt really unwell for a good chunk of the day after that walk. Seems like I tried to do too much, too soon.

The good news is, today it feels like the Entocort has finally kicked in. I actually have an appetite for the first time in a couple of weeks, I feel more energetic, and I feel much less unwell than I've been feeling. And I've only been to the bathroom once this morning rather than 5-10 times. So there's some definite improvement.

I'm thinking, after the disastrous walk yesterday, that I should give myself a few more days before I attempt any further exercise. I think that in a few days, I'll try a walk on my treadmill at home. That way, if I do pass out, at least I'll be at home and my husband can help me (he was at work when I walked the dog yesterday, so there was nobody then to help me). I'll see how that goes and take it from there. I know I need to heal from the flare first and foremost, but I want to incorporate fitness into that healing process as much as I can. So we'll see what happens, just going to take things a day at a time right now.
08-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #1815
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 8/8/16: Still flaring, haven't done any exercise. Still feeling weak and fatigued and a bit dizzy and just incapable of doing anything physically demanding right now. Very frustrated but trying my best to heal. Hopefully someday soon I can get back to the gym...
08-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #1816
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 8/10/16: Today's the first day that I feel like the Entocort has really started kicking in! My post from 8/1, that apparently was just a fluke. I felt okay for that one day but then went right back to feeling crappy again. Today, though, I not only feel significantly better, but I also have a headache. That is important - I always get bad headaches/migraines from Entocort. This time around, I haven't had a headache yet, but today I have one and it feels like a typical Entocort headache to me. That says to me that it's actually finally working.

I want to start slowly and not push myself too much. So I think I'm going to take a short walk on my treadmill tonight. Since I had such a difficult time trying to walk the dog the other week, I don't want to walk outside. On the treadmill, if I have an issue, I can just hit the "stop" button and go lie down for awhile or run for the bathroom or whatever. So that's the plan, just a short walk on my treadmill to see how I do. I'm not planning any workouts as I don't know what tomorrow will bring, I'm just going to take things day by day and do what I can do.
08-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #1817
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 8/11/16: I walked! I took a 30 min walk on the treadmill at 3 mph, so I did 1.5 miles. That felt really good! Although I was completely exhausted at the end of it. The steroids have given me some energy, but the flare has definitely sapped a bunch of my energy. So I felt quite tired at the end of 30 mins.

Today I feel a little worse than yesterday. Still headachey, and the sinus involvement with the headache has given me a bit of dizziness as well. My guts aren't great, either. And I still feel a bit drained energy-wise. So today I'm probably just going to rest, won't try to exercise at all today. Will see how I'm doing tomorrow and will go from there.
08-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #1818
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 8/12/16: I started feeling better as the day went on yesterday, and when I got home from work, the hubby and I decided to walk the dog. It was quite warm & humid out, which sometimes sends my guts into crazy cramps, but I was okay yesterday. We walked a bit too far and all of us were exhausted when we got home. Still, it felt good and I feel okay today as well. That's very encouraging.

I'm thinking, since I've been fine walking and since I feel okay today, I'm going to attempt a short weights session. I'm going to go to the little gym on my lunch break and just do a few things to see how it goes. Obviously I won't push myself too much, but I think I can do it. I know steroids always make me gain fat and lose muscle, so I want to be as proactive as possible about keeping fat off and muscle on. I think I can do it!
08-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #1819
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I hit the little gym on my lunch break. It was a fairly difficult workout - turns out I still don't have a lot of energy nor stamina. Pretty early on into the workout, I felt shaky all over (the "baby deer legs" feeling). I slowed down and took my time and made it through. Pretty proud of myself for that.

Earlier today my colon had been getting a little grumpy and pushing on my bladder, so I was peeing like every 15 minutes. The workout seemed to calm everything down, which is definitely good. My bladder and guts both feel better, although I can tell my guts still aren't super happy. In hindsight, it was probably reckless to hit the gym so early on. The steroids literally started taking effect on Wednesday and I'm in the gym on Friday, maybe I should have waited a bit longer. But I'm terrible at being patient!

I'll definitely take it easier tomorrow. I plan to go visit my grandma and I may walk the dog, but that's about all the activity I'm going to be doing. Other than that, I'll be resting and watching the Olympics.
08-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #1820
MissLeopard83

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I hit the little gym on my lunch break. It was a fairly difficult workout - turns out I still don't have a lot of energy nor stamina. Pretty early on into the workout, I felt shaky all over (the "baby deer legs" feeling). I slowed down and took my time and made it through. Pretty proud of myself for that.

Earlier today my colon had been getting a little grumpy and pushing on my bladder, so I was peeing like every 15 minutes. The workout seemed to calm everything down, which is definitely good. My bladder and guts both feel better, although I can tell my guts still aren't super happy. In hindsight, it was probably reckless to hit the gym so early on. The steroids literally started taking effect on Wednesday and I'm in the gym on Friday, maybe I should have waited a bit longer. But I'm terrible at being patient!

I'll definitely take it easier tomorrow. I plan to go visit my grandma and I may walk the dog, but that's about all the activity I'm going to be doing. Other than that, I'll be resting and watching the Olympics.
My mom and I have been binging on gymnastics. I love the Olympics for gymnastics and diving - that synchronized diving is so cool!
08-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #1821
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I love watching the Olympics! Well, most of it. The golf is pretty boring. I love watching swimming, diving, track & field, cycling, gymnastics.

Fitness update 8/14/16: Ughhhhhh. I should not have gone to the gym on Friday. That evening, my hip arthritis was quite angry with me. Fortunately, with a soak in epsom salt and keeping my heating pad on it all evening, it was okay as of Saturday. My guts, however, were not okay. Things got really angry all over again on Saturday. Nausea, bathroom trips, urgency, sleep interruptions, and for some reason I'm also not able to control my body temp very well. Last night, I was okay at bedtime but woke up an hour or two later and was insanely hot. So I got up and turned on the AC. Woke up another couple hours later absolutely freezing. I felt chilled to the bone. So I got up and turned off the AC. I think it's a dehydration thing? I can tell I'm definitely dehydrated so I'm trying to sip as much water as I can.

I may end up going to urgent care for IV fluids and tests. My GI had ordered stool tests, but I didn't do them at first because I was on the steroids and thought they'd skew the results. Then I started feeling better. But now all bets are off, I guess I honestly don't know if this is a flare or if it's an infection or what. However, I've been to the bathroom so much that I'm feeling pretty empty now. I don't think I have anything in me to do a stool test with, and I'm not exactly keen on eating right now. So I don't know, if I can get myself rehydrated then I'll probably skip urgent care and will just pick up the stool test kit from my GI's lab tomorrow morning.

Obviously exercise is out for awhile longer. I have to learn to be patient and to let myself heal. I love the gym, it's my happy place and exercise chases the depression away, and I've definitely been depressed in this flare, so that's a big part of why I've been hankering to get back to working out. My body is yelling at me that I need to heal, though, so I will try to listen. It's really hard, though. I hate feeling like this and I hate not working out. Stupid broken body.
08-19-2016, 11:26 PM   #1822
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'd love to do a fitness exercise but there's none to give. I'm still flaring, badly. I ended up at urgent care on Tuesday to get IV fluids, and I was in the ER today (Friday) also getting IV fluids. I feel like I'm getting worse instead of better.

Weirdly almost all my bloodwork and stool tests that I've done this week are normal. I don't have any bacterial infection, no c diff nor anything like that. CRP, ESR, and fecal calprotectin all normal (but that could be due to the fact that I've been on Entocort for nearly a month now). The only thing that came back abnormal was that my potassium was pretty low, which is likely due to the fact that I'm having a lot of diarrhea (10 - 20 episodes every day) and of course I've been dehydrated (hence the IV fluids). Other than that, on paper, I look like the picture of health. Well, aside from the fact that I've lost about 9 lbs now.

I see my GI on Monday and I'm going to beg, plead, cry for him to help me. I'm currently on Entocort and it's obviously not helping, so I'm going to ask to switch to pred as I'm hopeful that might work better on this stubborn flare. I'm also going to ask about doing EEN for a bit because food is just not my friend right now. Even very bland foods - literally today all I've eaten was a banana and an english muffin, but still I've been running to the bathroom with watery diarrhea many times. (Does that count as exercise? If so, I am apparently in training to win the IBD Olympics.)
08-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #1823
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Still flaring and spent a week in the hospital. Home now, very weak and doing EEN and prednisone (Entocort just wasn't working). Slooooooooooowly recovering but it's baby steps. At the hospital, they told me to walk/move around as much as I can, because lying/sitting all day will of course put me at increased risk of a blood clot. So, today, I tried walking on my treadmill just to see what my current capabilities are. It was pretty sad. I could walk at 1.2 mph, for one minute. That was my limit. Man, this flare is brutal. I'm still fighting though and I'm going to get back to working out someday, hopefully soon...
09-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #1824
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Slow but steady improvements. I've tapered from 40 to 35 to 30 mg of prednisone and doing okay on that front. Still on EEN, going to start introducing bland low-FODMAP foods (broth and jello to start with) tomorrow. That will be a big test, I've been on EEN for 2 weeks so I'm on pins and needles wondering how my body will react to food.

Walking-wise, I'm doing okay. I'm trying to walk as much as I can, even if it's just around a store or walking the dog around the block. Yesterday I got over 4,000 steps on my fitbit which is the most I've had in weeks, I felt pretty proud about that. I know walking helps my guts so I'm doing as much as I can (without overdoing things of course). Today it's very hot outside so I'm going to walk for a few minutes here and there on my treadmill.

So yeah, I'm slooooowly but steadily recovering from the flare and getting back to myself. It'll be awhile yet before I can properly work out, but I'm confident that I'll get there. Baby steps!
09-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #1825
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Not much new to report. I'm still slowly improving every day, but still also not well enough to go to the gym. I vacuumed my house yesterday and that took several hours because I needed to take a lot of breaks. My stamina, my energy, and my strength are all not where I'd like them to be. My weight is still down, too. I had lost 17 lbs and so far I've gained 3 lbs back, so I'm still down about 14 lbs from where I was before this flare. I'm sure that pred is also robbing me of muscle mass but not much I can do about that right now. I just need to continue to heal.

Walking is still going okay. The most I can do in a day is about 5,000 steps right now. Which isn't too bad. I'm trying to do more, but my body lets me know when it's had enough, and I try to listen very carefully to my body because I don't want to get worse again. Still doing the low-FODMAP diet. Jello ended up giving me watery diarrhea both times I ate it, so I stopped eating jello and have had solid stools ever since - I guess add gelatin to my list of trigger foods. It's apparently not sugar that was triggering me because I've had some candy and some gluten-free cookies and those sat fine with me (I am avoiding fructose because it's not allowed on low-FODMAP, so I've only had foods containing sugar and not fructose nor any sugar substitutes like xylitol nor sorbitol).

So yeah, I continue to take baby steps towards health. It's a little frustrating that it's taking so long, but on the other hand I'm very happy to be going in the right direction. I just gotta keep going!
09-16-2016, 09:15 AM   #1826
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm definitely getting more stamina day by day. Yesterday I got just over 8,000 steps on my fitbit! Up until that point, the most I'd gotten was in the mid 5,000s. It was my dog's birthday yesterday and I wanted to take her on a proper walk through the park, not just around the block. So we went to the park and had a walk, and I felt pretty good the whole time. Didn't get tired out, my guts didn't yell at me. It was satisfying to be able to do that without issue.

I sorta messed up after that, though. Goat cheese is allowed on low-FODMAP, so I made myself a couple quesadillas using just goat cheese and corn tortillas. I baked them so that they wouldn't be too greasy. They were still really greasy, though, must have just been the particular type of goat cheese I was using? The grease set off my GERD in a big way. I had literally the worst heartburn I've ever had - the pain was pretty intense for a little while. I took some extra reflux meds and got things somewhat under control. But, I then had to sleep propped up, because lying down made me feel worse again. I have a hard time sleeping sitting up, so I didn't get much or very good quality of sleep. And when I woke up, there were some big thunderstorms rolling through the area, and that apparently set off a barometric pressure headache. So I went to bed with awful heartburn and woke up with a throbbing head and feeling exhausted. Not great. I've had some tylenol and a bit of dark chocolate which has helped take the edge off the headache (I can't have more than a small bit of chocolate or that'll trigger the GERD all over again). I'm just sort of hanging in there today. At least the flare itself is quiet (my stools are formed and perfect and I'm only going 1 to 3x per day), I know my current symptoms are temporary and will be over with soon. I'm going to eat very bland today so that my GERD stays quiet, and I'll probably go to bed early because I'm so tired. Won't be walking as much today as I did yesterday. But hopefully on the weekend I can take my dog on more walks. I just need to be more diligent about what I'm eating.
09-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #1827
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I've had to cut back on my walking because I caught a cold. I was almost up to 10,000 steps per day but now I need to rest for a bit and recover. Bleh! I did manage to do some yard work before this cold hit me, so that was good. It was exhausting - I trimmed the hedges and pulled some weeds, which was a lot of work. I felt really good and accomplished though that I was able to do that. So, hopefully once I get over this cold, I can pick up where I left off. The guts are a little bit iffy but that always happens whenever I catch a cold - it feels like, my immune system turns on to fight the cold, but it also wants to fight my digestive system a little bit while it's on. Once the cold is gone and my immune system isn't active (or as active?) then I should feel better again guts-wise. And then I should be able to walk more and do things like yard work and a bit of actual exercise again. At least I hope so! Gotta get over this cold and then hopefully I'll be back on track.
09-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #1828
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My cold is still hanging around but getting better day by day. I have started walking again with no apparent ill effects. I have gotten in about 7,000-8,000 steps each day over the weekend. So that's good. I also bought myself some hiking boots, as I want to take some hikes in the autumn to see the beautiful scenery. The trees have just started changing color so it's the perfect time for some hiking. Hopefully soon this cold will be fully gone. The flare hasn't made a peep lately so hopefully the pred is working some miracles. I've tapered down to 10 mg pred as of yesterday, and the only ill effect there was a headache (which seems to happen every time I taper, so no big deal and my guts were fine with it). I just need to get over this cold and then I might actually be able to properly exercise! In the meantime, I'm walking as much as I can. It's cool but sunny here today so I'm planning a lunch hour walk. As long as it doesn't rain (which it has done a lot lately), then I feel like I can get outside and go walking.
09-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #1829
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I did get out and walk on my lunch hour, it was really nice. Very windy, cool but not cold (about 65 F) and very sunny which makes it feel warmer. I took my jacket off and got some vitamin D. I really enjoyed my walk. I still have a pred taper headache but it's not quite as bad as it was, I think, and my guts are fine. My cold didn't bother me, either. I brought kleenex and a cough drop with me just in case but didn't need to use either.

Once I get over this cold, I'm going to slowly and carefully try to start lifting weights again. I plan to start out with lighter weights than I'm used to - both to not piss off my guts, and also because I'm pretty sure I've lost a bunch of muscle mass anyway - I lost 17 lbs in this flare and gained about 10 back, but I'm sure what I gained back was much more fat than muscle. And pred can rob muscle mass anyway so double whammy. So yeah, slow and careful will be the name of the game, I don't want to push it too much too soon and I know I probably won't be able to do as much as I was doing before this flare, especially in terms of lifting. We'll see. First things first, I need to get over this cold.
09-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #1830
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I still have a lingering cold - I'm still coughing up mucus and blowing my nose an inordinate amount and my voice still isn't back to normal. But, walking seems to be going okay, it's not making me any worse. It rained the past 2 days so I stayed indoors and didn't walk as much as I'd like. Today it's sunny and gorgeous outside so I did take a lunch hour walk. I had ordered some new hiking shoes and they arrived yesterday, so I took them out for a test run today. They seem fine, which is good because they were really cheap (like, suspiciously cheap). I walked through a park which is rather hilly and has gravel paths, so footing was slightly iffy in spots, but I didn't fall and felt quite steady on my feet in my hiking shoes. I'm quite happy about that.

Tomorrow and Saturday it's supposed to rain again. I'm going to try to get on the treadmill those days. Sunday is supposed to be nice again, so I might take my dog out with me for a hike. And hopefully soon I'll get over this stupid cold already.