Share Facebook

05-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #2281
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I rested all weekend, didn't even leave the house at all yesterday (Saturday I did go to a few garage sales in the morning but that's it). I did tackle part of my sewing pile, but of course there's always more to sew. I did a little bit of crocheting, too, I finished up a scarf and also made a hat. It was cold and rainy all weekend anyway so it was a good weekend to stay indoors.

I'm getting a bit better every day. I'm still coughing and sniffling a little bit, but I'm doing much better than I was. Still, I'm not 100% yet, so fitness is still off the table for the time being - which is fine since it's still cold & rainy today. I'll re-assess every day. Tomorrow I think it's finally supposed to stop raining, so it's possible I'll take a walk tomorrow if I'm feeling up for it. We'll see.

In other news, hubby has quit his chef job - his last day is tomorrow. So that's good, no more dangerous belly-unfriendly foods coming into my house. He's now got 2 part-time jobs now and he's hoping that one of them turns into a full-time job (it sounds promising). So, his schedule is changing around a bit, but I think that's a good thing. He's expressed that he'd like to go to the gym more once he gets settled into his new routine with his jobs. I of course would love to get back to the gym more as well! So hopefully that will happen.
05-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #2282
scottsma

My Support Groups:
My groin is still a bit sore but not as bad.I was indoors Fri. & Sat. with gut trouble so we had a walk yesterday.Went on the bikes today.It's another long weekend, so we went earlier before the crowds emerged.I enjoyed it,but felt a bit clumsy.It didn't make my groin worse so that's OK.
05-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #2283
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm glad you didn't make yourself worse! It sounds risky to me to go for a bike ride when you're still having some soreness in that area. You always tell me to slow down and rest more, so now I'm going to tell you the same thing. Might be best to stay off the bike for a bit longer to make sure that you don't aggravate anything.

It was finally supposed to stop raining today, but it's still raining this morning! Ugh. Well, that's okay, because I'm still a bit congested. I'm not really coughing anymore, but I'm clearing my throat a lot. I'm still not completely over this cold but I am improving every day. So for today at least I'll avoid exercise. Tomorrow it's supposedly going to be sunny and no rain, so I'm thinking I might attempt a short, slow walk tomorrow. Depending on how I feel, of course, and also depending on whether the weather report for tomorrow is a lie like it was today.
05-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #2284
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Hahaha,thanks for your advice but it came to late.I went for a grocery shop this morning,and didn't really feel up to it.But I pulled myself together a bit,so despite some stiffness and low grade pain,we went for a cycle again today.And I'm glad I did.I couldn't sit indoors all afternoon doing nothing.......And as for me telling you to take it easy,well you have more going on than I have.......but I am a lot older.hahaha
05-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #2285
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
You sound so much like me all of a sudden, you know of course that I have a hard time sitting around doing nothing too. I get antsy and I start to feel worthless if I'm not doing something purposeful. I've been crocheting a lot lately to feel worthwhile and stave off the antsiness. I recently figured out how to crochet hats. Now all of a sudden I have a whole basket full of hats that I've made. Fortunately hats are always in demand, I can always donate those to a cancer center. I think I'm going to make even more hats and make a big donation all at once. I have a bunch of scarves made up that I can donate too.

I think it finally stopped raining! It's still overcast, but thank goodness, the rain seems done (knock on wood!). It's been raining for about a full week straight now, I know the plants need it but they don't need that much! I'm really looking forward to the possibility of taking a walk outdoors tomorrow. I'll of course stick to the paved forest path as I'm sure non-paved trails will all be very muddy due to the amount of rain we've had.
05-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #2286
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I had my walk! It felt so good to get outdoors. It's been awhile, both due to my cold and due to the weather. I've still got a little bit of a lingering cold, but walking didn't seem to make it any worse. The weather was gorgeous and everything in the forest is flowering - tons of bluebells & violets especially.

I did feel a bit stiff though, probably because I haven't done any form of fitness in a few weeks now. My right hip (the bad hip) gave me a bit of pain, too. I'm sure that's just from being sedentary for so long, though. I'm tentatively hoping to take another walk on Friday. If that goes okay and I continue to improve, I might see about going back to the gym for weight lifting next week.

Taper-wise, I had talked to my GI on Monday. I told him about what the lady at the compounding pharmacy said - she told me that some people need to taper pred super slowly in order to successfully get off of it, she suggested I try tapering by 0.5 mg once per month. My GI agreed that I can try that - he's not super happy that I'm going to be on pred awhile longer, but he's happy that I'm still trying to get off of the darn stuff and haven't just given up. So, I've been on 7 mg for a few weeks now, I'm planning to taper in about 1 more week. Will go down to 6.5 mg. I'm going to taper towards the end of next week - I always try to do that, that way if I have a taper fail, I'll at least have the weekend to try to recover. So yeah, every 4 weeks or so I'm going to try tapering. I'm hoping that this is finally the solution to me getting off of pred without flaring up again.
05-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #2287
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Today was $2 pants day at a local thrift shop (really it's all bottoms on sale for $2 - pants, skirts, shorts, capris - and it's all types of pants including jeans, trousers, workout pants, etc). $2 pants day is one of my favorite days, I look forward to it like it's xmas. That's why I didn't walk today, because I had to make sure to get to the pants sale. I had a pretty good haul - I got one pair of jeans, one pair of workout capris (in purple! - usually I go for black), two pairs of work-appropriate trousers for the office, and two really cute skirts, one black and one fuchsia pink. I never used to wear dresses or skirts, I hated them. Then I had to go to a fancy banquet thing for work a couple years ago and I felt *so* uncomfortable wearing a dress all evening. So I told myself I was going to work on that discomfort and wear dresses & skirts more often. Now I feel pretty good wearing a dress or a skirt here and there! But since pred made me gain a bit of weight, my old skirts didn't fit around my waist anymore. Thanks, pred. So I was really glad to find two skirts today that fit perfectly and look really cute on me. That was a nice little boost of self-esteem.

I'm doing a little better all the time. Still slightly congested but my sense of smell is back and I only needed 2 cough drops today! (I've gone through 2 or 3 bags of cough drops over the course of this cold.) Definitely still planning to take another walk tomorrow, the weather is looking good and I'm feeling up to it. And hopefully back to the gym next week too. Next week is going to be a bit stressful, I think. Our new regional president at work is going to be in the office 2 days next week (I still haven't officially met her yet, so I am wondering if that might happen next week). And, my boss is finally coming back to work - she was out for 3 months after having major surgery, and she's finally returning next week. I really like my boss but it's going to be challenging as she catches up on the last 3 months and everything she missed and what we need to do as a department going forward. So I'm thinking it's going to be an interesting and stressful week next week, and I'll need to go to the gym just to offload some stress. So that's the tentative plan.
05-05-2017, 06:33 AM   #2288
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Not feeling super great this morning. Yesterday evening my dog wasn't feeling well. Hubby said she didn't have pep in her step when he walked her. She vomited up her dinner and was having trouble with trying to poo - she'd try, but nothing would come out. Then she vomited again, and I had hubby clean that up - and he said there was something green in it. He couldn't tell if it was plant material, or plastic, or what, but obviously she had sneakily eaten something that either wasn't food or didn't agree with her. So that was worrying! As a result, I was worried all night about Lily and couldn't sleep well, and this morning my guts are a bit upset because I was so worried. Fortunately, she seems to be on the mend this morning. She was able to poo first thing this morning, yay! That means no blockage which is obviously a very good thing. And no more vomiting since bedtime yesterday. I'm keeping her off of food for now, just to be safe, and this evening if she's still doing okay I'm going to give her just a small bit of white rice and plain yogurt (that's what I've given her in the past when she's got an upset tummy and that's always gone down well for her).

So now I'm trying to get my tummy calmed down too so that I can maybe still have my walk later today. It's always so worrying when our animals are sick! I'm just going to eat bland low-residue foods today and I may skip my walk depending on how I'm feeling. Since Lily is feeling better, that's taken away a lot of my worry, so I already am feeling a little bit better. I've just had one episode of d and gas so far, so it's not too bad. And it's a Friday, so I've got a couple of days I can rest after today if need be. So, we'll see how I'm doing this afternoon.
05-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #2289
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I think I am going to skip my walk after all. I'm just not feeling up to it. Just a bad guts day from worry and not getting enough sleep. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.
05-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #2290
scottsma

My Support Groups:
It is very worrying when pets are sick so I'm very happy to hear that Lily' seems to have sicked up that green thing and is on the mend.But of course you've made yourself ill with worry.Also next week at work looks like it could be stressful too.I hope you don't have to have time off as I think you really need to be there with what's coming up.
You had a good day shopping though.Like you (were) I don't own a skirt or a dress but as I'm not expecting any posh social events ever,I don't intend to worry to much.I can be smart in good pants and tops,if I need to be.In fact,I was very smart this morning when I went into town.I bought a black sweater (new) with zips on the front of the hips.I love it,and I love black.We've been on the bikes again,3rd time this week.It was a sunny day so I put sun cream,factor 30,on the backs of my hands but forgot the tops of my ears.My hairs very short now and I do suffer sun burn at the beginning of the season......Have a good weekend and relax best you can.
05-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #2291
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ouch, sunburn on the ears is no fun! I once was going swimming so I lathered sunblock all over myself, but I didn't think to do the part in my hair, so I got a bad sunburn there! That was not fun and it looked like I had crazy dandruff when the sunburn started to peel and flake off. Now I make sure to wear a hat when I'm out in the sun because I do not want to do that again. Getting vitamin D from the sun is good for us, but obviously getting burnt is not. I hope your ears heal up soon!

I will definitely rest as much as I can, and will be keeping a close eye on Lily as well (there is a 24 hour emergency vet close by if she gets worse, although they're very expensive, but hey, that's what credit cards are for, right?). I unfortunately can't rest the entire weekend and just do nothing - I do need to run a couple errands tomorrow, I need to pick up a refill of my LDN as I'm almost out. Fortunately my local compounding pharmacy is so good, I called in the refill yesterday as they always ask for at least 48 hours notice, and I got a message saying it's already ready this morning (that was less than 24 hours)! But of course they're on a different side of town from where I live & where I work, so I don't have time to go pick it up today. So tomorrow I'll go get my LDN. And the compounding pharmacy is right near a craft store where they tend to get in new and interesting yarn that I can't seem to find in other stores, so of course I'm going yarn shopping tomorrow right after I pick up my LDN. I'm not feeling so unwell that I can't go buy some yarn, ha ha.

And my parents are coming down for a visit on Sunday, ugh. They drain my energy and they always want to go out to eat, which I'm not always feeling like doing, especially potentially unsafe restaurant food. But hopefully they'll let me pick the restaurant and I can just order something small and safe and pick at it a bit. Maybe my appetite will be back by Sunday, too - I sure don't have an appetite today. (I'm doing better as the day goes on but I think this is going to take a few days to recover from.)

So yeah, aside from errands and my parents, I'll rest as much as I can. And will crochet with my new yarn of course. Carol, if you lived closer, I'd totally give you a handmade throw for your new couches. I have 2 completed that are without owners yet, although I know one of them is going to my childhood best friend, I'm just not sure which one yet. One throw is in shades of blue and the other is in shades of red. My friend has 2 little boys, so I think I'm just going to ask the boys which color they like better, blue or red, and I'll give their family whichever color throw they pick.

MissLeopard, if you're reading this, how is your grandfather doing? I've been keeping you and your family in my thoughts. May 14th will be the first anniversary of my grandpa's passing, so my own grandpa has been on my mind a lot lately too. He loved Winnie the Pooh, and last summer I would go to his grave and read Pooh stories. Now that the weather is warming up, I'm going to go do that again soon.
05-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #2292
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I had an okay weekend. Didn't rest as much as I would have liked. I was fairly active both days. Saturday, hubby and I got up early and went to some garage sales. Then we ran my errands (compounding pharmacy and yarn shopping). And then we did some yard work. Hubby mowed the lawn and I trimmed the hedges and pulled a few weeds, and together we dug up some tiger lilies and moved them to another part of the yard. That all was fairly exhuasting! I felt sore and tired afterwards, and my fitbit registered that as a workout. So I guess I had a workout after all on Saturday!

Sunday my parents and brother came to visit, we had lunch and then walked around a lot at the botanical gardens. And then hubby and I did grocery shopping that evening. So I did a lot of walking yesterday.

I'm feeling okay today, fortunately. I probably overdid things a bit over the weekend, but I'm not paying for it today. And I'm feeling like I'd like to get back to the gym, so I'm planning to do a weights workout in the little gym on my lunch break today. I won't push myself and I'll keep it fairly low intensity to ease back into things, but I'd like to start lifting again as it's been about 3 weeks thanks to this stupid cold I've had. (I'm still slightly congested, but if I could do a yard work "workout" without getting any worse, then I feel confident that I can lift weights today without making myself any worse.)

Tomorrow we're having a luncheon to welcome my boss back to work, so I can't do anything on my lunch hour tomorrow. But if the weather is nice, I might walk Lily after work. She's still on the mend but seems to be a little better every day too. My parents were commenting that she looked a bit under the weather yesterday, but then my brother got out the dog treats, and her face immediately lit up, and then everybody said that she suddenly looked just like her old healthy self again. She is extremely treat-motivated.

Wednesday and Friday I'm tentatively thinking about doing weights workouts. Maybe a walk on Thursday. No plans yet for Saturday. Sunday is the anniversary of my grandpa's death, so I'm planning to go visit my grandma and also go to my grandpa's grave. So probably no workout that day.
05-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #2293
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Busy weekend and busy week ahead for you.We have Tiger Lilies out back too,I have some on the balcony in a large pot,and have just put supports in in case the wind topples them.It's really cold and windy here, so looks like we might not get on the bikes for a few days.We have the sitting room to re-decorate so will probably make a start with the prep.and moving pictures and ornaments etc.I wish the fairies would come during the night and do it for me.I'm really not in the mood.But it will be nice when it's done.
05-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #2294
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Redecorating is definitely a lot of work, I don't envy you there! If you can find fairies to redecorate for you in the middle of the night, please send them my way when you're done with them.

Just got back from the gym. I'm definitely not back to my old self 100% yet. My body got tired pretty quickly. My arms gave out before I was ready for them to give out, and then during my cool-down (walking on the treadmill), my legs felt very shaky. I'm thinking that tomorrow I won't walk Lily, instead I'll rest and recover, and then try this again on Wednesday.
05-09-2017, 03:48 AM   #2295
scottsma

My Support Groups:
The fairies will have to go to respite by the time they're finished here.
It's disappointing when your body lets you down eh ?
I know when I haven't been cycling for a few days.I really feel it.I know it's not high impact exercise like the gym and weights but at least I do something to try to keep fit.I know I'm a lot fitter than folks my age,and I'm strong (apart from my back).I think it's a frame of mind.I won't allow myself to fall into decline and act like an old person.hahaha
05-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #2296
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My boss is back! I'm so happy! She's a very nice boss and I missed her a lot. Now I just have to survive with our new regional president being in the office this afternoon and tomorrow. And then I'm thinking I'm going to taper on Thursday. I've been at 7 mg for slightly over a month now, so once I get this work stress out of the way, I'll taper to 6.5 mg pred and stay at that dose for a month.

My body lets me down regularly of course so I'm used to it. It's slightly frustrating but nothing new. All I can do is dust myself off and pick myself up and try again tomorrow.

Bicycling is great exercise, don't worry about comparing it to weight-lifting. The important thing is that you're being healthy and staying active and that's great!

As for acting like an old person, I've seen first-hand how damaging it can be to fall into a mindset of "I'm old, therefore I can't do ____". My grandparents did that for basically my whole life. I can remember being a little girl, like 6 or 7 years old, and my grandma would tell me that she's old and is probably going to die soon (well, I'm 37 now and she's 84 and still alive!). That really bothered me when she'd say such things, she should have just enjoyed her life and not worried about her age. My grandpa also took on the mindset of, "screw it, I'm old and going to die soon, so I'm not even going to attempt to be healthy". So he'd eat a ton of fast food and do basically no exercise, and as a result his health was very poor. I definitely don't want to fall into that sort of mindset. I'm going to exercise as long and as often as my body allows me to, and I will eat reasonably healthfully (most of the time - there's always room for chocolate though!).
05-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #2297
scottsma

My Support Groups:
There are no happy days without chocolate that's for sure.Sounds like this could be a good week for you Cat,I hope every thing goes right for you.I know you've been anxious for a while.
We've done 6 miles this afternoon.The sun came out and it was good.Hubby always takes a small thermos of coffee and I take weak juice,and we take time to sit somewhere nice for a short while.That's all the life I need to keep me happy,and chocolate.
05-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #2298
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
That sounds like a really nice bike ride. I've done similar in the past - I only bring water because anything else will make my GERD unhappy when I'm exercising, but I will sometimes ride into the Arboretum, then sit on a bench or in the grass for a while and look at nature and watch the other bicyclists and joggers go past before I get back on my bike and go home.

And yes, chocolate. Just had lunch with my boss and she bought us all chocolate chip cookies. I can't have too much chocolate, again because my GERD doesn't like too much of it, but a small bit each day is definitely needed.
05-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #2299
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I just got back from the gym. Had a much better workout today! My body didn't give out on me nor feel shaky like it did on Monday. I felt strong and quite good. Even my GERD was quiet. I was able to do everything I wanted to do and I even was able to increase the weight a little bit or add in an extra rep on a few things. A very good workout for sure.

So the plans are to do weights again on Friday. Not sure yet about tomorrow, might be a rest day or I might take a walk. If the weather is nice on Saturday, I am thinking about riding my bike to the grocery store. Debating whether or not to do that ride with my bike trailer - the store I'm thinking of riding to, it's more like a specialty store and I usually just buy a few smallish things there. My cruiser bike has a basket, which would probably be enough by itself, but if I decide I want to buy more than about 3 things, then I'd need my bike trailer as my basket is fairly small. So we'll see what I feel like doing on Saturday. There are a few other shops nearby that grocery store that I could go to as well, if I had my bike trailer on the bike, so I might have a leisurely shop around the neighborhood and fill up my trailer with goodies. And then get really tired pedaling home a heavy trailer full of stuff, ha ha.
05-11-2017, 04:42 AM   #2300
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Glad your workout went well for you.Best to have a rest day in-between though.

I know what you mean about shopping.It doesn't matter if you just need bread,the bigger the bag,the more you stuff in.......But it will be good excersise to cycle with the weekly shop in the trailer.hahaha just kidding,Don't do it. !!!!
05-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #2301
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ha, I don't think I could fit my weekly shopping into the bike trailer! And I'm sure I wouldn't be able to budge my bike if I tried that. This would just be a few specialty things, like goat cheeses and of course chocolates. And there's another shop nearby where they sell fancy kitchen things so I might go wander through that shop too and buy a new wooden spoon or something small like that. I would not be buying tons of things nor a lot of heavy items. The only thing that might take up a fair amount of space is, I am thinking of putting a small cooler in the bike trailer - that way my chocolates won't melt on the ride home. But a small cooler shouldn't weigh too much so I think that'll be okay even if it is a bit bulky in size.

I'm feeling pretty good today and the weather is looking okay. A bit overcast but rain is not looking likely and it's going to be fairly warm. I think I am going to take a lunch hour walk today.

I tapered my pred this morning. Went from 7 down to 6.5 mg (I have 2.5 mg tablets and 1 mg tablets, so I now am taking one 2.5 mg and 4 of the 1 mg tablets). So far so good but it's only been a couple of hours. I think I should be fine at this dose - my last taper fail happened when I got down to 6 mg, I had been okay at 6.5, so I'm pretty confident that I won't have a fail this month. (I hope!)
05-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #2302
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I had a really good walk. The weather was gorgeous, absolutely perfect. I still felt a little bit stiff on my walk - I think I just haven't been walking enough lately. But other than that it was fine and I felt quite good getting out in the fresh air and sunshine. It had been overcast earlier, but the sun came out, so I got a little bit of vitamin D in the areas of the forest where the sun was able to shine through.
05-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #2303
scottsma

My Support Groups:
We've been cycling again.It's still quite cold and breezy at the coast.While we were having our break I said to my hubby (Les) "I've just realised that I'm doing anything rather than start the decorating" and it's true.We've had the paint well over a week and usually I would be wanting it done,especially with new sofas coming.As we have dental / doctors apts. early next week,we have set the date to start for Thurs......unless something better side tracks us.
05-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #2304
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
For what it's worth, I also hate painting. It's a hard job and so messy! Even if you try to be neat about it, nope, paint is still going to get on places that you don't want it to get on. Hubby had to practically beg me to paint with him last time we painted a room in our house. And if you have any weird corners or spots where you have to get into a weird position to paint, that's no fun at all. My joints were not happy with me last time we painted. Fortunately most of our house is painted now, but unfortunately the master bedroom still needs to be painted and I know that's going to be a huge job. Ugh. Good luck with your painting, I hope it's not too awful!

I think I've talked hubby into doing my bike ride plans tomorrow, taking the bike trailer to the specialty grocery store. At first he was complaining about how long of a ride it would be, but then I reminded him that it's only about 2 miles from our house to the store. Sooo, not actually a long ride at all. And he wouldn't be hauling the trailer, I'll be doing that. After that he stopped complaining, so I think he's on board with the idea.
05-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #2305
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I had a good workout yesterday. My GERD was a bit more active than usual but that was my co-worker's fault (and my own fault too). The receptionist at work was off yesterday and I'm usually the one who fills in for her, so I was stuck sitting at the reception desk all day. I needed another co-worker to fill in for me so I could take my lunch break, and we agreed on a particular time. I have to make sure I don't eat anything for at least 2 hours prior to working out, so with 2 hours to go I ate, and I ate a little bit more than I usually do. Then my co-worker had a change in plans and ended up covering me a half hour earlier than we had planned. So because of the time and the extra food, my GERD was a bit grumpy, but it could have been a lot worse. It wasn't too bad, it was totally tolerable and I was able to do my workout without having too much of an issue. So it worked out okay.

Hubby's skipping our bike ride after all. I'm still going, just had lunch so now I'm in my 2 hour waiting period and will go on my ride after that. Hubby decided he had to go see a movie instead so he's off doing that (he loves those superhero movies so he's at Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm not such a fan of those movies so I opted not to go). Well, that's fine, now I can go on the route I'd like to take without having to explain to him why I'm taking a particular route, and I can be as leisurely as I want on my shopping. The weather is gorgeous, we spent the morning going to garage sales and I'm really looking forward to my bike ride.
05-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #2306
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Aaaaand fail. I got everything set to go, got the bike trailer on, started riding. But it's suddenly very hot out (about 84 F!) and also quite windy, about 15 mph winds blowing against me the whole way there. Riding into that wind with the trailer and with the heat took a ton of energy. I nearly made it all the way to the grocery store, but the combination of hauling the bike trailer (which not only adds weight but a lot of wind resistance) and the wind and the heat tired me out terribly. Add all that to the fact that there's a large hill that came just before I got to the grocery store, and I was like, nope, screw it. I turned around and headed home at the bottom of that hill, I just couldn't do it. Too tired and didn't want to make myself sick (sometimes heat plus over-exertion makes my stomach very unhappy, and that hill just looked like a recipe for disaster). I can tell that my stomach isn't happy but I think by turning around I spared myself the worst of it, and hopefully resting for the rest of the day will allow me to not have any bad trouble with my belly.

So I headed home without going to the store. With the wind at my back, it was much easier riding home. This has been eye-opening - if I can't use the bike trailer as a dog carrier nor a grocery getter, I don't think it's going to work for me. Good thing it was only $10. I might just get rid of the darn thing. I love riding my bike, but I didn't love it today, and that trailer was a big part of the problem. Plus I was on my cruiser bike, which is heavier. I think from now on, I'm just going to ride my light little road bike because it's so fun and I don't tend to over-exert myself on that bike. I have a firm belief that fitness should be fun, because of course if it isn't fun you aren't going to continue with it, and today wasn't fun. So no more bike trailer for me and back to very limited use of my cruiser bike. From now on it's just me and my road bike, and I'll get groceries when I'm in the car. Experiment failed, lesson learned. But hey, what is the point of life if I'm not trying & learning new things, right? Can't win them all. And, I have SO much respect now for people who do haul little kids around in bike trailers! I don't think I could do that!
05-14-2017, 02:50 AM   #2307
scottsma

My Support Groups:
At least you got a bit of exercise and you know for sure that the trailer is not for you.With the summer coming somebody will want it.I had a weird stomach yesterday,but got the room stripped ready to paint.It's 8-50am and Les is phoning our This time next week it will be done.Not that it will take a week of course,but it will prob.need two coats and we have other stuff going on during the week.Enjoy your day.
05-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #2308
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Sorry to hear you had a bad belly day, hopefully it's just one day and doesn't continue longer than that. Have fun painting!

I had an okay day yesterday. Started off by visiting my grandma in the morning. She's really losing it. She had at least a moment where she was under the delusion that her parents are still alive and that she is going to go visit them soon (they both died when she was 18, she's 84 now). So that was a pretty substantial thing that she thought they're still alive. She also told me she's really looking forward to dying because she misses my grandpa so much. I don't think she's going to last much longer. Of course that would be very sad but in a way it might also be a bit of a blessing - I know her dementia will only continue to go downhill, and I fear the day when she doesn't know who I am (she often forgets my name and/or how I'm related to her, but she so far always knows that I'm her person). My heart breaks a little bit each time she declines mentally. Of course my heart will break when she passes, but if she passes before she completely loses her mental faculties, maybe that would be for the best. I don't know. It's just a hard situation all around.

So after that visit, I needed some quiet time to think and decompress. I went to my grandpa's grave. It was looking a bit shabby, with some overgrown grass and some weeds (many dandelions). I had brought some gardening tools, so I made sure to trim all the grass and pull the weeds. I also wiped some dirt off of his headstone. Everything looks good now. He was very meticulous and placed a lot of value on appearances, and I know he'd have had a fit if he had seen weeds and overgrown grass and dirt on his headstone. I could hear his voice in my head as I was cleaning and gardening. I think he'd be happy with the results. I'll make sure to continue visiting his grave semi-regularly throughout the warm months to make sure it still looks good (can't do much gardening in winter obviously).

So I got home and stress-ate something I shouldn't have - I had fried shrimp, french fries, and a root beer float. Yum, but my belly doesn't always like fried/greasy foods, and the dairy and carbonation also aren't my friend. So things were a little bit upset after that. Still, I managed to pull myself together a couple hours later and lift weights. I really needed that. I just used the barbell and dumbbells I have in my home gym, and that went fine. In fact, I recently got some new weights, so I got to try those out.

After lifting, I went crazy and also walked the dog. I probably overdid things a bit. I'm sure I did, in fact, because last night and this morning my lower back was fairly stiff and painful. I sat with my heating pad on my back for about 30 mins prior to leaving to go to work, and that really helped, so I think I'm okay now.

And because of my back, and also because of the weather (thunderstorms in the forecast), I'm taking a rest day today. Tomorrow, presuming I'm feeling okay, I'll go to the little gym on my lunch break for a weights session. Not sure about Wednesday - I'd like to walk, but they're forecasting rain for that day as well. Thursday more weights - if I can swing it, I'd like to ride my bike to the big gym after work. That's my favorite workout ever - ride my bike to the gym (about 3.5 miles each way) as a warm-up, lift weights at the gym and also do my stretches, then ride home more leisurely and slowly as my cool-down. Again, that's all dependent on the weather and how I'm feeling. That's as far as I've planned for so far.
05-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #2309
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Work continues to be stressful. We're still hearing rumors that there are more job cuts coming. Fortunately, the gym continues to be a good source of stress relief. I just had a workout and I feel pretty good now. And I think my taper to 6.5 mg pred was successful - last time I had a taper fail, I had tapered on a Thursday and flared the following Tuesday. This time, I also tapered on a Thursday, and now it's Tuesday and I'm still feeling pretty good. Hopefully the once per month taper will continue to work well for me.

My back is still feeling pretty good too so I didn't seem to injure anything too badly (it felt like cramps in my lower back muscles, so I think I just overdid things that day). We've had sporadic thunderstorms here lately, but fairly nice weather in between the storms (warm and sunny, although windy). So I'm hoping that tomorrow the weather will cooperate and allow me to have a walk. Weights Thursday, and a walk on Friday if I can't have one tomorrow (and maybe walks both Wednesday and Friday if the weather behaves both days, but I don't know what the odds of that happening are). Hopefully weights Saturday too. I'm trying to get hubby to go back to the gym with me but he's being sluggish and unenthusiastic about it.
05-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #2310
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Holy cow. What a stressful day. Long story short, work = crazy stress and weird rumors. Nobody really knows what's going on. I may be fine or I may be out of a job soon and I don't know what to believe or what to think. I have spent a good chunk of the afternoon crying because of stress and worry.

So of course I had to get the @#$%& out of the building when I had the opportunity. On my lunch hour, I zoomed over to the forest path and had a long walk. It was in between thunderstorms, so it wasn't raining, but it was quite humid and pretty windy. Still, I was happy to get into the forest for a bit, and everything smelled lovely because of this morning's thunderstorms. My walk through the forest cheered me up a bit. Now instead of actively crying at my desk, I just feel like crying. Yay, improvement.

I absolutely need a workout tomorrow too so I'm already gung-ho about going to the gym to lift weights. I can't wait. I'm going to push my muscles until they're totally fatigued, in the hopes that physical exhaustion also quiets down my over-thinking mind too.

I'm also going to work on updating my resume "just in case." Ugh.