Share Facebook

09-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #2551
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I think my exercise yesterday (moving heavy boxes around for 2+ hours at work) ended up making my back feel worse again. There's definitely been more pain today than there has been for the past couple of days. So I'll probably take another hot bath tonight. Going to rest up a bunch over the long weekend, too.

Lily was snerking and snorking this morning, which is new - usually she only snerks after her lunch, not after breakfast. I've turned into that crazy person who is neurotic about every single sound. I'm constantly asking Lily, "What was that sound? What does that mean? Are you okay?" And she just gives me a look, as if to say, "You're crazy! Now give me a treat!"

She's still very excited about food. She had tons of treats last night while the Packers were playing - we have her bark every time the Packers score, intercept, have a good play, etc. The Packers played well last night, so there was a fair bit of barking happening, and she wanted a treat each time we had her bark. So there were a whole lot of treats involved yesterday! She's definitely gained some weight lately, too. Which I guess I'm not even going to worry about, she was fat when we got her at age 2 (50 lbs) and we had gotten her down to 36 lbs just prior to her surgery, but she'll get to be fat again now.
09-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #2552
Tony H

Hey Cat hope you and Lily are doing ok .

emazole 40mg daily
09-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #2553
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
We're doing okay! She's about the same. Still very excited about food and treats, but energy level isn't great and she's still having sinus issues.

I went hiking on Sunday. Walked about 2.5 miles through the woods & prairie to break in my new hiking boots. Carried my daypack with me which weighs a lot. I was quite tired at the end of that hike, and the next day my hips were feeling a bit sore. I probably overdid things a little bit, since I haven't been hiking in awhile. I'd like to do more hiking, though. Hopefully my hips will grow more used to it the more I do it.

Lily's birthday is in 10 days. I think and hope she can make it. We're going to invite her best friends over for some doggy birthday cake.
09-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #2554
Tony H

Good that ye are both doing ok
You cant beat a hike in the woods to help clear your head

09-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #2555
MissLeopard83

My Support Groups:
We're doing okay! She's about the same. Still very excited about food and treats, but energy level isn't great and she's still having sinus issues.

I went hiking on Sunday. Walked about 2.5 miles through the woods & prairie to break in my new hiking boots. Carried my daypack with me which weighs a lot. I was quite tired at the end of that hike, and the next day my hips were feeling a bit sore. I probably overdid things a little bit, since I haven't been hiking in awhile. I'd like to do more hiking, though. Hopefully my hips will grow more used to it the more I do it.

Lily's birthday is in 10 days. I think and hope she can make it. We're going to invite her best friends over for some doggy birthday cake.
Glad to hear Lily's still doing relatively well! Every time you post, I start thinking the worst but I'm relieved when I read she's still kicking. Hope she makes it to her birthday as I think it will be good for the both of you to have a fun celebration.
09-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #2556
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I know, I'm sure every time I post on here and on facebook there are people holding their breaths until they get to the part where Lily is still doing okay! (I have one friend on facebook who rarely checks in on facebook, but she told me she's been checking it every day lately just for my updates about Lily.) But on the other hand, if I don't post for a little while then people start to wonder what's up. I can't not worry people right now, whether I post or not. On one hand that sucks, I don't want to make everybody worry, but on the other hand it's sort of amazing. I have so many people, including many I've never even met, who are all rooting for my dog! It's crazy and wonderful to have support from all over the world. So, thank you guys for your support. It really means a lot!

So. Lily is still doing okay. Still getting tons of food and treats and enjoying every bit of that. No further vomiting and she hasn't had diarrhea lately either, her digestion seems good in spite of all of the treats and people food. Hubby got her some liverwurst and she's been really enjoying that. I am going to look up recipes for a dog birthday cake and try to make her one over the weekend. There is a local pet store that sells dog birthday cakes, but those cakes are kind of small and are quite expensive (I think the one I got her last year cost over $30!). I feel like I should be able to make a pretty darn good dog birthday cake for under $30, so that's the current goal. I also need to send out an invite to her friends (my neighbor's 2 corgis) to make sure they can come over on the 15th and have some cake too. Only 9 days to go now until her birthday! I'm optimistic that she can make it that long. I'm also excited for Sunday - I like to watch Packers football with Lily, and the first game of the regular season is on Sunday. She's going to get sooo many treats that day!

Fitness-wise I haven't done anything since my hike on Sunday. It's gotten colder here, it feels like autumn. I'm hoping to hike again at some point over the weekend, if I can talk my hubby into it. He's actually not working for one whole weekend! But then the following like 3 weekends he'll be working again. I got him a hiking daypack and filled it with some supplies, so all I need to do now is convince him to actually leave the house with me and go out into nature and hike for awhile. We'll see if I can actually convince him to do that or not.
09-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #2557
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Lily's still doing okay. (I'm just going to start out every post with that!) She's such a silly ham, I sat on the floor yesterday evening and petted her a bunch, and when I'd stop petting for even one second, she'd start nudging my hand with her nose. I printed off some recipes for dog cakes and dog-friendly frosting, so I might try some baking this weekend to see how things turn out. I also sent out an invite in the mail today to my neighbor who owns 2 corgis (Lily's 2 best friends). I'm hoping that my neighbor can bring her corgis to Lily's birthday party next week. I'm going to make adorable party hats for them. And there will be sooo many cute corgi photos. I'm guessing that this will be Lily's last birthday - right now she's got about 1.5 months left if the vet was accurate (or 0.5 months left if the internet is accurate). So I'm going to make this birthday count. 9 will be the best birthday ever.

If Lily makes it to Sept 23rd, and if she's still feeling reasonably well by then, I'm going to take her to the corgi picnic. We probably won't stay the full time (it's a 4 hour event), but I'd like to go. There's a dog park in south-central Wisconsin which is about a 45 minute drive away, and every year in late Sept they host a corgi picnic. There's usually 75 or 80 corgis and their owners who show up, all the dogs play while the people socialize, and then everyone eats a big potluck picnic. It's really fun. It's still 2 weeks away, so I am not sure yet if she'll be feeling up to riding in the car that long and seeing that many other corgis, but I'm hopeful that she'll be well enough to go. (Hubby will be working that weekend so it'll just be me and Lily, which is always a bit scary - if she were to have a medical issue, I'd have to handle it all on my own, which is a frightening thought.)

Speaking of hubby working on weekends, I was wrong about this coming weekend. Hubby is only off Saturday, it turns out he's working Sunday. I might go hiking on Sunday by myself then. I could do a hike in the mid/late morning, and then relax while watching the Packers game with Lily in the afternoon. Today is actually hubby's and my 15th wedding anniversary, and he's been talking about wanting to do some sort of anniversary-related activity on Saturday (we're both working today). Most likely we'll go ring shopping on Saturday - hubby had lost his wedding ring in a creek while kayaking a few years ago, and we never replaced it, but lately he's been saying he would like to get a new wedding ring to replace the lost one. Maybe we'll have a nice meal, too.
09-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #2558
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hubby and I had a busy day of running errands and doing chores and visiting with his friend on Saturday. I also baked a practice cake for Lily's birthday, and that turned out quite well. She definitely enjoyed eating it! It's got carrot and peanut butter in the cake. I'll make another one for Friday. Only 4 days now until her birthday! She's still doing okay. She continues to have sinus issues, but she seems happy and doesn't seem to be in pain and is still enjoying food a lot. Hubby bought her a pork liver which we cooked for her dinner yesterday. She liked that very much!

On Sunday, I went for a longish (3 miles) hike. I had stumbled upon a really pretty-looking section of hiking trail awhile back and have been meaning to hike there, so I did that on Sunday. It's more or less a loop, it starts in a residential neighborhood which is weird but then it quickly goes off into the forest and you can't hear or see the city anymore. It also quickly goes up, up, uphill! I got tired out in the first few minutes, it was a lot of uphill and was fairly steep in parts. Fortunately after that initial big climb, then it wasn't so bad. And it was very pretty, because it went so much uphill, that there were spots to look out at the surrounding area, and there was a lot of forest too. It was mostly forest, except for a part where you go through a prairie. The prairie was also really pretty, and I saw a rare bird (pileated woodpecker) going from one forest to the other when I was in the prairie. That was really neat, I haven't seen that type of bird for probably 25 years! They are not at all common here, but they're extremely cool to see.

So after the prairie there was another section of forest, and then the trail looped around and went back through the other side of the prairie and then downhill. The trail ended in the same residential neighborhood where it started, but for some reason it ends about 3 blocks away from where it begins, so I had to check my map and make sure I turned down the correct street to where I had parked my car. It was a really nice hike, though. Challenging enough, especially at the beginning, super pretty, and I only saw a couple other hikers the whole time (it drives me crazy when there are a lot of people around when I'm trying to be out in nature away from people, so the fewer people I see while hiking, the better). So far it's my favorite hiking spot! I'd like to go back, maybe I can even convince hubby to go with me.
09-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #2559
Tony H

Happy Anniversary Cat , great that you are getting out and about in beautiful forests and trails , it must be great to get away from civilisation for a while
Hugs and Kisses to Lily
09-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #2560
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Tony, thank you. Yes, it's great and very much needed for me to get out into the forest and away from civilization for a bit. I feel so calm and relaxed when I'm in the woods. Part of me wants to never leave the forest! And the exercise aspect of hiking in the woods also does a lot of good for me, it relieves stress and makes me feel better both physically and mentally. I already am planning to do a lot more hiking once Lily passes away.

Lily is still doing okay. We brought her to the dog park yesterday evening so that she could see her friends - her 2 corgi best friends were there as well as another dog that Lily is friendly with. I know dogs are pack animals, and they do seem to form packs with their friends. So it's really nice every time Lily is able to see members of her usual pack at the park. She was coughing a bit at the park, which always worries me (the vet said that the type of cancer that Lily has often spreads to the lungs). And of course she got tired out, as her energy levels aren't what they were pre-illness, but we had the wagon with us, so we walked to the park and then took her home in the wagon. That's been working out really well. She had a fun time at the park and had a leisurely ride back home in her wagon.

Lily's 2 best friends are officially coming to her birthday party, too. That will be on Friday. I'll post photos on here if I can figure out a way to do so (I used to post via photobucket, but they changed their rules and now I can't seem to post photos from their site). Hubby unfortunately has to work on Friday out of town, so it'll just be me, Lily, my neighbor and her 2 corgis. Oh well. I'm going to make it a great birthday for Lily! I think I'm going to make some treats for the humans, and of course birthday cake for the dogs. Party hats for the dogs as well (Lily will only wear a hat as long as there are treats in front of her so I'll have to quickly snap some photos of that!).

So that'll be Friday. On Monday, it'll be the 2 month anniversary of her surgery. The internet says life expectancy is 2 months from the time of surgery, but both vets (regular vet and emergency vet) told us that 3 months is pretty typical - our regular vet did say that they really don't see many dogs at all who make it longer than 3 months, so I'm not expecting that Lily has much time left. The important thing is that she's not in pain, not suffering. The coughing and sinus issues seem minor and don't seem to be putting her in any distress or pain. So we'll just keep going with her as long as she seems to be pain-free and feeling okay and eating well and having normal urination and bowel movements all that good stuff. Just taking it day by day.
09-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #2561
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
It's Lily's birthday. She made it! I'm so happy that she made it to her birthday. And, hubby got the dates wrong, so he didn't go out of town this weekend after all. He can see the fun (and help me wrangle the corgis) at Lily's party tonight, yay! I'm so excited. I made party hats for all the corgis, pupcakes for the dogs, and chocolate cupcakes for the humans.

Fitness-wise I haven't done much. We've had a heat wave here this week, it's supposedly finally ending after tomorrow, so I might go hiking or bicycling on Sunday if it doesn't rain. For now it's too warm to do much. Haven't walked Lily either because she hates hot weather. I'll wait for it to cool down before taking her on a walk.
09-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #2562
Tony H

Happy Birthday Lily
Enjoy the party Cat

09-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #2563
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks Tony! I'm headed home shortly to frost the cupcakes and the pupcakes and get everything else ready. Lily's friends are coming over in a couple of hours. I went home at lunch and Lily seemed more lethargic than usual, but I did go home for lunch at an earlier time today than usual so that might account for it. Her appetite was still good so hopefully I had just woken her from a nap and/or she wasn't expecting me home at that time so it threw her off of her usual routine. I'll of course keep a close eye on her tonight to make sure she's feeling okay. And I'll let you know how the birthday party goes.
09-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #2564
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Another milestone Cat.Hope Lily's party was enjoyed by all.
09-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #2565
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
The party went well! Lily's friends seemed to have a great time, Lily loved having her friends over, and hubby and I were able to chat with our neighbor/friend for a bit. Many treats were had and all the guests seemed to enjoy themselves. And Lily is still enjoying the leftover pupcakes a couple of days later.

Our heat wave seems to have finally ended, but now it's raining. If the rain lets up, I'm going to see if I can get my road bike into my car. It's a hatchback and I've got the back seat laid down and I can also lay down the front passenger seat, so I think I can fit my bike in the car. If I can do that, then I'm going to take it out somewhere new for a ride.
09-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #2566
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Hope you manage it Cat,good fresh air and exercise will set you up for the week ahead.
Sorry you missed out on the job you were after, but hey,their loss.There'll be others.
09-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #2567
Tony H

Hey Cat hope Lily and yourself are doing ok

09-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #2568
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks Tony. Lily is okay. She's having a bit more coughing, the sinus issues continue, and the big lump under her right armpit seems bigger and different - previously it was sort of squishy, now it seems quite firm and dense. But she seems to be feeling okay and is still eating lots and seems happy and in no pain as far as I can tell.

I'm not so great. Sunday mid-morning (shortly after my last post in this thread) I got hit with urgent, watery d and cramps. I'm still trying to recover from that. I'm still having some d, cramps, nausea, fatigue, etc. Not sure what set that off. It's slooowly getting better. It's made me depressed though. I've been off sick from work due to this episode, I'm going to push myself to go in to the office Thurs & Fri at least. Hopefully I can make it through 2 days. I'm feeling very bleh though.

If I'm feeling better enough by Saturday, and if Lily is feeling okay, and if the weather is okay, then I'll be taking Lily to the local annual corgi picnic. It's looking iffy, though. They're saying it might be as warm as 90 degrees F, which is ridiculously warm, and Lily hates hot weather (so do my guts). It would be sad to skip it, as I know it'll be Lily's last opportunity to go to a corgi picnic. At this point I'm tentatively thinking that we'll go to the corgi picnic, but maybe only for an hour or so tops (it's usually a 4 hour event). It's been a lot of fun in years past, there's typically about 75 or 80 corgis and their owners who all show up to a park and everyone brings a dish to pass, the dogs all play together and the owners socialize and eat a picnic lunch, and there's a raffle for charity too. But if my guts are less than stellar and if it's hot weather, then I may skip the food and we'll just make a short appearance and then leave - for both my sake and Lily's.
09-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #2569
Tony H

Hope you feel better soon Cat ,
flaring really takes it out of you mentally and physically ,
Rubs and Hugs to Lily .

09-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #2570
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks Tony. I don't think it was a proper flare, fortunately. I didn't have night sweats nor pains waking me at night, and I have been doing a little bit better day by day. Today was the first day for about a week where I woke up and didn't feel horrible right from the moment I opened my eyes. I actually have a slight appetite back and my bowel habits are becoming more normal - less urgency, more formed stools. So I think I'm okay, maybe it was a virus or something I ate or just a result of stress, who knows. Heck, maybe it's the weather, my guts hate hot & humid weather, and we've had a heat wave here this week.

Since I've started feeling better, I am planning on taking Lily to the corgi picnic tomorrow. We still probably won't stay more than an hour or two, since it's still going to be very hot out - Lily doesn't like hot weather either, and with her black fur and extra body weight (she's gotten a bit fat since her diagnosis with all the treats she's had!), I'm sure she won't be completely happy being out in the sun on a very warm day. I'm going to bring a jug of ice water for her (and for me too) and will just keep an eye on her and on my guts as well. We'll make an appearance for a bit, say hi to the other people and corgis, and then head out when one or both of us has had enough of the heat. Fortunately, the air conditioner in my new car works great, so we can at least stay cool on the trip there and back.

Aside from that, we're probably going to stay indoors in the air conditioning for the rest of the weekend. I'll be glad when this heat wave is over!
09-24-2017, 04:31 AM   #2571
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Hope the pic-nic went well Cat.
09-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #2572
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
The corgi picnic went okay. Both Lily and I got too warm, my guts got unhappy and she got tired out, so we left early. I was a bit disappointed, too, the heat seemed to keep some people from coming to the picnic. Normally there are 75-80 corgis, this year there were roughly 40-50. And my neighbor who owns 2 corgis, she told me she'd be there, but she never showed up. Hmph.

The rest of the weekend we stayed indoors, in the air conditioning. Fortunately, today looks like the last really warm day. I'm looking forward to cooler weather! Tomorrow's supposed to be warm-ish and rainy, and Wednesday is supposed to be cool (today is another 90 degree day, Wednesday will be 68 degrees F according to the forecast). Bring on Wednesday!

Hubby's planning to have some friends over on Saturday, so I'm already thinking about a hike. Hubby and his friends play dumb games (like Dungeons & Dragons) which I don't care for, so I like to escape while they're over. The weather is looking good, cool but not rainy for Saturday, looks pretty ideal for a nice hike.
09-27-2017, 02:41 AM   #2573
Tony H

Hugs and rubs to Lily and support to you .

09-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #2574
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks Tony. We're doing okay. Hubby made a roast rabbit for dinner yesterday, with cooked potatoes and carrots. Lily loooves carrots, so I gave her most of mine. She was very happy about that. She's still doing about the same, somewhat lethargic but in no pain as far as I can tell and still eating lots.

I'm trying little baby steps to take better care of myself. I've made a healthy packed lunch for myself 2 days of this week so far - baby carrots, grape tomatoes, olives, turkey pepperoni, goat feta cheese, fried tofu, avocado, and hard boiled egg, all with balsamic vinegarette dressing. Sort of like a cobb salad without the lettuce, because lettuce seems to be the part of salad that bothers me the most. I have seen little bits of either red or orange in my stool, so I know I'm not fully digesting either the carrots or the tomatoes (or maybe both), but I don't feel too badly. I'm trying, anyway. And now that the weather has cooled down a bit, I can hopefully go for more walks, too.

I see my GI this afternoon. I'm going to tell him about all the stress I've been under lately, with my crazy job situation and with my dog having terminal cancer. I don't know if there's anything he can do to help me in that regard, even though the stress definitely has affected my guts. Maybe I need an antidepressant or something, I don't know. I've already been prescribed Lorazepam for anti-anxiety, but I know that med is very addictive so I rarely ever take it. So I don't know.
09-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #2575
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Slight change in plans. My mother is coming for a visit on Saturday, so I'll go hiking on Sunday instead. The weather still looks good for that day, so that should be fine. And I can still avoid hubby and his nerd friends.

I made another video of Lily today, it's really cute. I'm going to try to remember to put it on youtube tonight so that I can share it with you guys. I went home at lunch as I always do, to let her out and feed her and check in on her. After I did all of that, I sat on the couch for a few minutes and was eating some belly-friendly leftover pizza (homemade pizza with no sauce - my GERD hates tomato sauce - and goat cheese because that's the only kind of cheese that my lactose intolerance can handle). Lily was intently staring at my piece of pizza and was making little "grr. grr. grr." sounds. So I took a video of that. She's so silly, and food is still her favorite thing! She really, really wanted me to share my slice of pizza with her.
10-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #2576
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Lily's gone downhill a bit more, becoming more lethargic. Yesterday, I decided I was going to take a walk on the paved forest path, rather than do a full wilderness hike. I started putting on my "taking a walk" clothes. Normally, when Lily would see me putting on my walking clothes, she would freak out with happiness, because she knew it was walkies time and she would implore me with woofs to hurry up and get dressed already. Yesterday, though, she just kept on resting. Not so much as one single woof. When she saw me walk out of the bedroom in my walking clothes, she just went straight into her crate, rather than freak out or look for her leash or anything like what she'd normally do. Ugh, poor Lily. I think the end is not far off now. As of today, it's been 2 months and 2 weeks since her surgery. The vet's estimate was 3 months, and it's looking like that'll probably be pretty accurate.

So, I went over to the forest path by myself and had a walk. Sometimes I just need to get away from home and away from my dying dog, just be by myself and refresh and recharge in the forest. It was a very nice day, not too warm and not too cold. So I wandered through the forest for a bit. Then, I came home, and I decided that I'm not done exercising for the day. I haven't lifted weights since Lily got sick, but yesterday I got out my weight bench and my dumbbells and barbell and had a fairly short weights session. I could tell that my body wasn't used to it, everything felt quite heavy and I got tired fairly quickly. But it also felt so good to be lifting again! I need to do that more. So that's my goal, is to start lifting a few times a week and get myself back up to where I was before. I feel logy and slow and chubby and tired, I'd like to use weights to transform myself into someone more energetic and muscular and happier. Lifting weights does make me feel happy, I had forgotten how good it feels. So, hopefully, you guys will be seeing more fitness posts in this thread going forward! It is my fitness thread, after all.

I'm also trying hard to revamp my diet and to eat healthier. I had started on that last week. I think it's already helping, too. When I was in Japan, I felt great the whole time, and my body loved all the food, so I'm trying to incorporate more of that into my everyday diet. I even made myself onigiri (rice balls with salmon filling, wrapped in seaweed) for breakfast today. I'm not very good at making onigiri, they're supposed to be a triangle shape but were more like blobs, but they were delicious anyway. And I'm sure I'll get better at it the more I make them.
10-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #2577
Tony H

Thinking of you and Lily , good that you were able to get out and clear your head .

Its so hard seeing them slow down and not seem to care about the things that they lived for , its good that she does not seem to be in pain , good thoughts and prayers to you and Lily .

Last edited by Tony H; 10-03-2017 at 09:01 AM.
10-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #2578
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks Tony. It is hard. I've also noticed that, in the past she's always been very impatient to be let out of her crate first thing in the morning. She's always standing right by the crate door and sometimes is whining. But this morning, she was lying down and didn't get up until the crate door was opened. There are a lot of little things like that which tell me that she's getting sicker and slowing down more. And I knew this was coming, but it's still hard to see all the little signs that she's dying.

Anyway. I'm still doing well diet-wise. I'm trying to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet, as well as many of the foods that I had eaten in Japan (rice, fish, seaweed/nori, tofu, eggs, etc), and I'm trying to cut out some junk food, and so far that's going well. My guts are almost suspiciously quiet and I'm only having about 1-2 BMs per day and they are formed and solid. All is going very well on the diet side of things. I just have to keep it going and not slip up. When my guts are nice and calm, I sometimes get cocky and think that I can eat something that I really can't/shouldn't, and I end up paying for it. So I need to remind myself to avoid that type of situation!

As for exercise, I was quite sore yesterday from Sunday's workout, but it was a "good" sore if that makes sense. Like, when my guts act up or my arthritis, that's a bad pain, but feeling sore from a workout is a healthy, good pain. I like it even if it makes me walk a bit slowly and stiffly, ha ha. I'm still slightly sore today but not bad at all, and I'm planning to exercise again tonight. I'll probably just do another brief and not too intense weights session in my home gym. I don't want to push myself too much, too fast, now that I'm getting back into it. I'd like to ease into it so that I don't injure myself or anything like that. So, I'll listen to my body and won't lift too much or too heavy. I'm excited, though, I really like getting back into fitness after basically having not been to the gym in months (not since Lily got sick, and she initially became ill in mid July). Fitness helps me not only physically feel better, but mentally and emotionally, too. It helps with stress and it just makes me feel like "ahhh!" like calm and happier.

The weather's being iffy this week, but if it's not raining tomorrow then I'd like to take a walk. I'm planning to lift weights again on Thursday. I'm not planning too far ahead, because I don't know what my health (or Lily's) is going to do.
10-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #2579
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I lifted weights yesterday and felt pretty good! I felt stronger and like I had more stamina than I did on Sunday, it felt significantly easier and I was able to exercise for longer than I had on Sunday. My hips (which both have arthritis) also felt pretty tight and stiff on Sunday, but they felt better and looser yesterday. All of this is telling me that I need to keep going and get back into the rhythm of exercising regularly. It's very encouraging!

My GERD has been quiet during my recent workouts, too. My GERD has a lot of triggers - it doesn't like tomato sauce, chocolate, greasy/fried foods, it doesn't like it when I lie down, and it doesn't like it when I use my abdominal muscles in any way, like if I'm exercising (even if I'm not specifically doing abdominal exercises, the ab muscles still are used at least to some extent in most exercises). Previously, I'd take one 300 mg ranitidine tablet and a handful of Tums just to be able to work out. That was working so-so, but I have found more recently that my belly just does not like Tums at all. They cause me pain. So, I decided to try to find another way to work out while appeasing my GERD but not taking Tums. The solution I've come up with so far is, I've taken 2 ranitidine tablets instead of one before working out. That's 600 mg which is kind of a lot, but ranitidine is a fairly mild and reasonably safe GERD med so I'm not too worried. My GERD is classified as severe, but so far (knock on wood) the 600 mg of ranitidine has been working pretty well. I haven't gotten the vurps during my 2 workouts that I've had so far. So far so good with cutting out Tums!

Lily is about the same as she was. Her appetite is still very good, thankfully. I gave her a dollop of plain yogurt yesterday along with her lunch. Then, when I came home from work in the evening, she had yogurt on her nose! I was like, has that been there since lunch? It turns out that nope, hubby had also given her some yogurt with her dinner, so it was from dinner and not lunch. We're both spoiling her with food, that's for sure. Oct 18th will be 3 months from the date of her surgery, and the vets both estimated she'd have about 3 months left (I believe one vet said that only about 10% of dogs with hemangiosarcoma make it longer than 3 months). That's only 2 weeks from today, so I know Lily's time is running very short. That reminds me, I saw a meme somewhere with a corgi, it said "Life is short and so are my legs." That seemed very appropriate.

The weather is looking great today. It rained most of the night, but now the rain has left for the moment anyway and it's sunny and going to be about 68 F today (about 20 C). Not too warm and not too cool, it looks ideal for a walk. Wednesdays are the one weekday that I don't have to go home at lunch to look after Lily - hubby works afternoons on Wednesdays, so he's home until lunchtime and he can feed her lunch and let her out to potty before he goes to work. That means that I actually have free lunch hours on Wednesdays and can do what I want on my lunch break. So, I'm planning a lunch hour walk on the paved forest path, and I'm really looking forward to it. Being able to escape to the forest for an hour is wonderful and very much needed.
10-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #2580
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I had my walk and it was really nice. The weather was perfect! But, I am stupid. I forgot to put on my walking shoes! I have a pair of walking shoes that I keep in my car at all times, they have the nice memory foam insoles and are really comfy and great for walking. But I was an idiot and completely forgot to put them on, so I ended up taking my walk in my work shoes - which are ballet flats with zero support and which are not particularly comfortable for walking in. Oops. I realized my error after I had already been walking for a few minutes, and at that point I didn't want to backtrack all the way back to my car, so I just did my whole walk in my work shoes. It wasn't too bad, but towards the end of my 40ish minute walk, my feet were definitely asking me where the memory foam is. Next time I'll definitely remember to change my shoes!