Share Facebook

04-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #241
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
LMV, that sucks! We went through something similar. My freezer is really old - we bought it used from craigslist, so I don't know quite how old it is, but really old. We thought it broke at one point, but it turns out the electrical outlet that it was plugged into had died or something, so the freezer was fine. But it was off for a couple of days when the outlet stopped working, so we lost all the food we had in there too. I was sad, I had like 4 containers of ice cream in there that all became melted and inedible. Now I make sure to try to check it once a day to make sure it's still on and working, because I don't want to have to throw out so much food again.
04-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #242
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I also write the date and weight of the frozen food on the outside of the Ziploc bag and include that on the fridge list as well - sounds like I should be working in a commercial kitchen / restaurant. Maybe Gordon Ramsay would be impressed.

Our fridge went about 6 months ago, but it was only a $ 100 fix luckily.

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
04-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #243
Ya noy

Our freezer is a Subzero--made in Madison Wisconsin! I understand they're normally expensive, like over $10k, but we got ours at a liquidation sale. We bought a kitchen display and it came with the cabinets. In fact, we didn't even realize it was a freezer at first, because it's a couple of sliding drawers under the counter that looks like one of the cabinets, so does the matching frig. Got it really cheap too because the owner had just died, his widow needed to liquidate quickly, and I don't think she realized that freezer alone was worth more than the entire kitchen. Neither did we. Who puts something like that in a store display anyway? It's almost hard to believe just how much longer food stays fresh. Salads don't wilt, milk doesn't sour, and we have to take bananas out for them to ripen.

Anyway, we had a power outage last year that lasted almost 5 days, and our frozen food stayed frozen. A single pot of ice kept all the food in our frig. frosty cold as well
04-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #244
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ya noy, that's an awesome deal! Puts my $50 ancient craigslist freezer to shame for sure. Can't complain too much though since we've had it for a few years and it's still working, so we've definitely gotten our $50 worth.

Hawkeye, I think Gordon Ramsay would be impressed! Ha ha, I find that when I go to restaurants, I start wondering what Chef Ramsay would think of the place. My hubby and I went out to eat with my grandparents at this very iffy restaurant yesterday, and I was like, "Gordon Ramsay would be so mad that there are like 700 different things on the menu, and he would totally send this soup back because it's gross, and he would think the decor here is really ugly." I told my hubby that and he agreed.
04-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #245
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/23/13. I feel pretty good today. I had a rough few days - I made the switch from Asacol to Asacol HD on the 18th, and that just did not go well. Asacol HD is not for me. So yesterday I saw my GI, and he switched me from Asacol HD to Delzicol. I only just started on it today, but I'm feeling hopeful that it'll work better for me. I have a hard time breaking down these type of pills that have the special coatings, I used to pass undigested Asacol sometimes every day. But since I was taking 6 pills a day and passing 1 or 2, I was still getting enough medicine for me to feel okay. I was only taking 2 Asacol HDs every day though, so passing 1 or 2 of those daily obviously was a worse situation! I'm taking 6 Delzicols daily so hopefully I can break down the majority of them and get enough mesalamine in my system for it to be worthwhile.

So yeah, I had a rough few days on Asacol HD, the diarrhea came back and I was pretty nauseous for a few hours yesterday. Not fun. I managed to make it to the gym anyway and did pretty well. Hubby actually organized the back bedroom so I can get to my exercise bike without having to walk over piles of stuff, so I'm excited to ride the bike tonight. I *still* haven't been able to get my real bike outside for a ride, it's been cold/rainy/snowy/you name it. It's looking like the weather might be ideal on Saturday for a ride, so I'm hoping the forecast doesn't change.
04-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #246
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/24/13. Things still aren't quite right in tummy land, I've had several episodes of d today and a bad one last night too. I'm hoping I adjust to the Delzicol soon and get back to relatively normal. In spite of this, I did an hour on the exercise bike last night. I felt better than usual and I think that was because it was cooler in my house than normal. We had a warm-ish spring day the other day, so hubby turned off the heat in the house, and I guess we forgot to turn it back on. It seems like the cooler I am during a workout, the better I do and feel. So the heat was off in the house and I did 12 miles no problem in spite of having an iffy tummy.

I hit the little gym for weights today too and did fine. I'm hoping to get another massage tonight too - after the last massage, my painful lower back felt even worse, so I'll be curious to see how I feel after this one. The lower back has generally been feeling somewhat better lately, although I got a sharp twinge of pain in the lower back as I was finishing up my workout today, so who knows.
04-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #247
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/25/13. I wish the Delzicol would kick in already! I'm feeling a bit better, but it's deceiving. Mostly I feel okay, but every so often I'm hit with cramps and urgency and I have to run for the bathroom. Not fun, but it seems to be getting a little better. I think.

It's sunny and it actually looks nice outside - but when I went out earlier, it was quite chilly. So I'd love to try to ride my bike outside tonight, but I think it's still too cold. Plus with the guts not being quite right, it's safest to ride the exercise bike at home. So I'll do that, again, but it's getting really boring! I need a change of scenery! I'm getting spring fever or something, I just want to get outside! But it's in the low 40s which is just too cold. Grr! I'm still holding out hope for Saturday, they're saying it'll be in the 60s and no rain. Oh, and Sunday it might be as warm as 70 (!!), and my in-laws may be visiting that day, so that sounds even more ideal for a bike ride. A long, long bike ride far away from my house...
04-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #248
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
Sorry you're having trouble Cat! Was there a lay off between Azacol and Delzicol? I hope you get straightened out soon!

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
04-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #249
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks Mark. I was on mesalamine the whole time, but I went from Asacol to Asacol HD to Delzicol. The Asacol HD did not work well for me at all - I could not break it down very well and was passing it undigested. I was on HD for 5 days, and during that 5 days I started to feel noticeably worse, so I may as well have been on nothing for that time. I'm on day 4 of Delzicol now and I think things are starting to turn around - I do seem to be able to break those down at any rate, so much better than the Asacol HD. I'm still having some diarrhea - my poor anus is so sore and swollen from the d, it started bleeding a little bit yesterday. Fortunately I had some hydrocortisone suppositories on hand, so I did one of those last night and things back there feel significantly better now. I love how fast and effective steroids are!

With the anal issues though, I decided it was best to avoid the bike altogether last night as I didn't want to make things worse back there. So I just did yoga instead and that went fine. Tonight I'll do weights, and tomorrow I am hoping to ride my bike outside. We've *finally* got some nice springtimey weather, yeah! Tomorrow's temp mid 60s, no rain, and no wind - this sounds so ideal for a bike ride! Hopefully my backside will be up for a ride.
04-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #250
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/27/13: I rode my bike outside today! I feel out of shape though! I have been riding the stationary bike all winter and I have been pushing myself on it and doing hill programs, so I thought I'd be okay to ride my regular bike. But wow, riding a real bike is very different from an exercise bike! My legs feel okay, but my abs feel tired and my butt feels sore. There's all this balancing and stuff that I don't have to do on my exercise bike, so the abs got a good workout. And real hills are much tougher than computerized hills! And, even though I have a cushy gel seat on my bike, it's still a bike seat and my booty is not used to a real bike seat, so yeah. I'm going to feel sore tomorrow for sure! But I did a decent ride, I rode through the Arboretum in my city. I saw a turtle and lots of ducks & geese, it was nice. Nothing's really flowering yet so it wasn't super pretty in there, but I'm looking forward to doing another ride soon. I feel good, but tired.

After I got home from my ride, I saw my hubby was outside working on the garden, so I helped him out with that. Because apparently I am crazy and wanted to be REALLY sore tomorrow, ha ha.
04-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #251
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
That sounds great cat! I can't wait to go out on my bike! Still waiting for my sister's bf to take a look at it...
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
04-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #252
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Woohoo for riding your bike!
Got out on my bike today too, it wasn't pretty though, I had a rough night and was severely dehydrated this morning. My insides were still churning when I went for my ride. Managed 96km, barely.
04-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #253
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
Cat: your exercise diary is inspiring. I used to work out pre-marriage, that was 12 years ago. I was doing cardio and kickboxing several times a week and was getting really toned. The body wants to be toned...it happens quickly if you are persistent. However, that being said, I am no longer toned - upper legs look very cellulity since Entacort - thanks Entacort!!! --- and have gained 45 lbs. over the years...especially during the Entcort. I have started back on the treadmill and yoga - one or 2 days of this and I felt noticeably better, especially from the stretching from yoga. I am 63 so I won't be doing the kick boxing and have a bad knee from an aerobics injury years ago. My yoga instructor is in her 70's and avoided knee surgery with certain poses - she is working with me.

An interesting note: Like you, I started getting the sore joints after Entacort and honestly, I think Entacort somehow opened the door for it some how. I had a "virus" that left me so stiff in the joints that I could barely move around and it lasted for 2 days. My joints are still somewhat achy. I think it may not have been a virus and it happened shortly after I ended Entacort. Same thing happened to my mother. She started a medication of some kind and the next day she could not get out of bed. Her RA had begun overnight. They say it does that sometimes and I'm hoping it is not RA for me. I'm making healthy food choices and trying to exercise at least 4 days a week. I feel great other than the achy joints but I think the yoga has started to help that. Thanks again for sharing your story.

One more question Cat--- are you on medication? I don't see on your profile.
Doc:"chubby=not Crohns"
GI #1: Pillcam, DX Crohns Humira ordered
GI#2: NOT Crohns; cancel Humira. pillcam stuck X6 wks! RX Entacort!
11/2012 ER SM bowel stricture resection/GB
GI#3: End Entacort. RX Pentasa! Flu symptoms. joint pain follow-neg RA
4/2013 Prometheus Positive/Crohns
Markers flat post surgery
Chronic Arthritis
No Crohns symptoms
On Pentasa
04-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #254
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Sparkle, my joint pains started while I was on Entocort too, and my GI said that sometimes Entocort can cause a type of arthritis that usually occurs in the hips. Well, I have arthritis in both hips now, and I'm only 33 so too young for it to be wear-and-tear type arthritis. I'm going to see a rheumatologist about it but my appointment isn't until July. I don't seem to have RA, as my bloodwork (ANA) was normal/negative for that.

The medications I'm currently on are: Delzicol for remission maintenance for the presumed IBD (just switched from Asacol - did a brief stint on Asacol HD but that didn't work for me), Nexium & Zantac for the reflux plus Tums as needed, Nuvaring for birth control, Amitriptyline to prevent migraines, and generic Zofran as needed for nausea. I also take a handful of supplements and psyllium too.
04-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #255
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 4/29/13: I thought I was going to be sore yesterday after Saturday's bike ride and gardening, but I actually felt really good, hardly any soreness at all! So I went to the gym yesterday and did my usual weights routine. And today I feel really sore! Particularly my legs. So I don't know if it was a delayed reaction or what, but I feel like I've overdone things with my legs. I was hoping for another bike ride tonight but I'm not going to push it too much, so I will do yoga instead - hopefully.

I say hopefully because my living room remodel is happening today! Our new fireplace/mantel/built-in shelving is being installed, and hubby is walling-over a window and putting in new wall studs so that we can wall-mount our TV. IF the work gets all done today then hopefully hubby can hook up the Wii and I can do yoga on the Wii Fit. I prefer that to just doing yoga on my own, as the virtual instructor can give me feedback. I like that a lot. But anyway, the room needs to be mostly put back together so that I can do yoga properly. Wish me luck!
04-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #256

My Support Groups:
Sounds exciting!
04-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #257
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
Awesome! Yoga on the WII. I have a WII, I'll check it out.

Cat: we have some similarities. I have stiff joints in all joints since Entacort, but I do notice in the joints when I stand after sitting a long time. I will have to mention that to my doctor. I also have migraines and gerd which I just ignore and sleep inclined. What is the test for RA....is that what you meant by ANA? I should check for that as my mom has it. I'm hoping mine is osteo or temporary. Good luck with the remodelling. I hate the remodelling process.

We had cermaic tile put down our house throughout a few years ago, dust was everywhere and the inexpensive contractor neighbor of ours kept getting a "virus" everytime he got paid. We were like to never get it done. haha
04-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #258
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Sparkle, yes, ANA is a blood test that they use to check for things like RA and Lupus. I'm not sure exactly how ANA works, but I was told mine was normal/negative so I don't have RA nor Lupus. It's just a simple blood test, so it's worth looking into.

And fortunately we do not have a contractor doing the work on our house! My father-in-law is a woodworker so he built us a mantle & some built-in cabinets. He also built all our kitchen cabinets custom from scratch. And the best part is, he's not charging us - he wouldn't even let us pay for the wood! He does great, beautiful work too. It's not quite done yet, we need to do some minor stuff like wiring (we're running the wires through the walls so that there aren't a bunch of cords coming off the TV when we wall-mount it) and we have to paint one spot, etc. But the built-in cabinets/mantel are installed and they are so gorgeous!

So yeah, the living room remodel is like 85% done at this point. And that's great - I just wish the bathroom remodel would happen already. I have the ugliest bathroom I've ever seen - it's an older house and whoever built it really loved pink. Our bathroom is mostly pink - pink tub, pink sink, pink toilet, pink countertop - and brown tiles on the walls, and on the parts where there are no tiles, the walls are painted yellow. Pink, brown and yellow - I always think of pee, poo, and Pepto.

I get migraines too - I never got them until IBD came along - and I have severe GERD. I wish I could ignore it but it's too severe. I have to take Nexium, a quadruple dose of Zantac, and Tums as needed just to get through the day. I do have a chaise lounge, which I will sleep in if I need to sleep upright. Usually I can get away with propping myself up on pillows in my own bed though. The GERD is sadly worst when I'm exercising - I have to take a Zantac and a handful of Tums just before I hit the gym. And even so, I'm usually refluxing pretty badly by the end of my workout. I will even vurp water, it's terrible. My GI tried reducing my dose of Zantac but I told him no way! I'm functional on the medications I'm on right now, I don't want to change!

So, update 4/30/13. Hubby didn't hook up the Wii yesterday so I walked the dog instead of doing yoga. I usually don't consider walking to be enough exercise, but I was really tired so I let it slide. I hit the little gym today for weights and that went fine. I feel a lot less sore than I did yesterday, so I'm hoping to take another bike ride tomorrow evening if it doesn't rain.
04-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #259
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
Wow how lucky to have such a nice father-in-law. When I visualize the pink bathroom--- it was a dream in the 50's...with those little princess pink phones and all. That thought brings back warm memories. Sounds like the paint etc with the yellow is the 70's where everything was earthtones. Ugh. How did we tolerate that color scheme-- everything was harvest gold. avocado green, orange and brown. Sounds like you needed a good update. Hope it turns out well! The GERD - it's the pits. There is a theory about GERD that made sense to me....it's from not enough acid as opposed to too much acid. I read up on this in the 90's but have lost all my bookmarks for that stuff. Also, a lot of people swear by Bragg's vinegar - organic. Read up on it. Who knows...it helps with arthritis I've read.
05-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #260
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Sparkle, my father-in-law is nice now, but he was actually really mean to me when I first got sick (he said some really awful things to me and wouldn't stop even when I started crying). He's gotten a lot better since then and is actually supportive of me now, but I don't totally trust that he's going to stay nice. It is of course an incredible gesture that he's done all this work for us on our house and I'm appreciative of that - I still don't totally trust it though and I don't always like talking to him (he drinks a lot and I think part of it is that he can sometimes be a mean drunk). My mother-in-law, although we're not very close, has always been really understanding of my illness, so I think she told him to stop being mean to me.

And you guessed the time periods correctly, my house was built in the mid 1950s and was last remodeled in 1977. There was a lot of pink when we moved in - pink walls, pink siding - and we're gradually removing the pink. Whoever built/remodeled the house sure loved pink!

Update 5/1/13: My arthritis is killing me today for some reason! Usually it acts up when it rains/snows or if it's bitterly cold out. Well, today it's sunny and 75 degrees, no rain, no cold, no snow. But the hip is quite painful and Tylenol isn't touching it, that's just great. Sometimes my hip aches in anticipation of a big storm, but I don't think we're supposed to get a storm in the near future, so I really don't know what's up with this stupid pain today. I'm going to try to go for a bike ride tonight anyway - usually exercise (except for jogging) helps my hip feel better.
05-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #261
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I went on a nice long bike ride by the lake tonight and that went well. I feel better than I did after my previous bike ride, although the booty is still sore! I also figured out a really easy route for riding my bike to the gym! I'm not sure if I'm ready to try it - I don't know if I would have enough energy to ride my bike, lift weights at the gym, then ride home.
05-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #262
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 5/2/13: It just started pouring rain here which means the hip has just started acting up too - the bad hip does not like rain or snow. I'm still planning on going to the gym in a little bit though, hopefully the rain will keep people away from the gym and it won't be too crowded. I went shopping earlier today and found a cute new workout top (well, new to me, as I'm mainly a thrift-store shopper). It's black with red trim and it fits really nice. I'm not sure what is up with sizes in workout clothes though. I have sports bras that are size x-small, small, medium - and this new one that I just bought is a large! They all fit really well, but the sizing seems to differ drastically from brand to brand. I'm definitely not "large", I usually wear a small (size 6 jeans) so I don't get it. And if the one I bought today was a large, then the small size in that brand probably only fits a doll.
05-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #263
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
I think you're wearing kid's clothes Cat!! You definitely ain't large!!
05-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #264
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Mark, I had wondered for a minute if it was a children's size large, but it's a workout top with a built in sports bra and children don't need bras! So it has to be an adult size, and it fits me perfectly, and I know I'm not a large. I have no idea. Maybe when they made the top, they sewed in the wrong tag or something. Fortunately I hate tags and removed it immediately so now nobody will know my size large secret.
05-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #265
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Cat,
I am a size four but I usually have to buy a medium to a large in sports bras (which is odd, my band size in a bra is only 32-34). So then I wonder, what options are there for plus-size shoppers who want to work out and wear a sports bra? I think our marketing system is for the birds. Seems the clothing companies want to make us all feel like a bunch of fatties!
05-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #266
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Mccindy, I don't know that I've ever seen a plus-sized sports bra in a store (although I haven't specifically looked). That's a good point and I do wonder what larger women do for workout clothes. It's sometimes hard to find cute workout clothes even in my size so it must be a nightmare for someone larger! I recently wanted to buy more workout pants - I prefer yoga style pants because I do not do short shorts - and I had to go to at least 4 different stores before I found some I liked and that fit well. If I were a bigger girl, I don't know that I would have been able to find anything.
05-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #267
mccindy

My Support Groups:
That is so sad. Our culture seems to be ignoring the needs of the larger-sized person. They keep being told to eat right and exercise... but the "bad for you" foods are much cheaper and the workout clothes can't be found. I've had trouble finding yoga pants in the past too. When I work out at home I wear shorts but I do like yoga pants. Seems when I do find them they are always too short in the leg!
05-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #268

My Support Groups:
I have seen sports bras in large sizes here in the UK. Really people with bigger boobs need it even more!
05-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #269
mccindy

My Support Groups:
And really that's just it - I think having just a "small-medium-large" range doesn't work, because I am thin with a larger chest so I need a large, but have to hook to the innermost set of hooks. But if someone with a larger torso circumference and a smaller chest would try it, wouldn't it be baggy in the boobs? They just don't account for all of the possiblities!
05-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #270

My Support Groups:
Depending on where you shop you can get sports bras in real bra sizes. Mine is my actual bra size, I got it from Marks and Spencer.