• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie on the block!

Okay so not entirely a newbie when it comes to IBD!
A newbie to this website though!

I'm Craig and I'm 18 years old. 5 years ago this August I was diagnosed with IBD. Since then I've been what the docs call 'An Indeterminate Case' which basically means I have both the symptoms of Crohns and symptoms of UC.

Even after many endoscopys, colonoscopys, MRI scans the lot I still cannot be confirmed almost 5 years on as to what category of ibd I actually fall under.

I'd like to consider myself as being pretty 'stable' since being diagnosed but many blips have came up along the way.

My tell tale sign for IBD was bloody stools. My dentist also realised after a checkup due to the state of my inside cheeks - something called cobblestoning which basically means my cheeks on the inside aren't smooth, but bumpy. This was also a tell tale sign.

I've been on a fluctuating dosage of Asacol since being diagnosed which I suppose has helped steady my bowel inflammation. Suppositories tried and successful but soon went back to Asacol. Currently on 800mg tabs 2 morning two night - no problem.

Weight has been something that's become more prominent since diagnosis. I was edging towards a good 14 stone when diagnosed but since then I'm down to 11. Which is slightly worrying cause I've had no change in diet (eat like a horse) and I don't do (admittedly) any exercise! But that's just something that needs to be monitored now.

I'm lucky enough to not experience any abdominal pain (touch wood). The only symptom I used to portray was blood. But no pain or diarrhoea. I'm so thankful for it too.

My main symptoms. I've never been anemic yet I'm always tired. I lose concentration and become irritable - no matter how much sleep I've had. My moods seem to be drastic (maybe cause I'm a teen) but my personality changes if I'm having a day where I feel rundown. I can wake up from an 11 hour sleep and feel completely drained. I experience mouth ulcers often due to the connection between the gastro-trachea track. I get inflamed skin around the eyes and get very very dry skin. Pains and aches are things that have been most noticeable. Joints are extremely stiff as the disease has been diagnosed. Knees back hips knuckle stiffness etc - not something that an 18 year old should be getting hair yet. Since diagnosis I had problems with my ears. Tinnitus, burst ear drums, inflammation.

In Dec 2012 I got admitted to hospital after an abscess the size of a golf ball was seen by the doctor. On the right bum cheek. Never had I felt pain like this.it was unbearable. Couldn't walk, couldn't sit and couldn't sleep. I'm a heavy sleeper and this abscess had me literally screaming in agony throughout the night. It had to be cut open and drained. After bloods were taken it was discovered that I also had glandular fever as well as the abscess so overall I was feeling pretty bad. Today I had my visit to the gastro clinic and its thought now that I could also fit into perianal colitis too due to the bumps and abscesses occurring on the bum.

Overall, I'm very happy to only have slight symptoms. I know that I could be far worst.

Thanks for reading!

Regards, the indeterminate case!

David

Co-Founder
It's Crohn's disease.

With that out of the way, let me welcome you to the community :) Thanks for joining and sharing your story!

What makes me think it's Crohn's disease? The weight loss is very likely due to malabsorption in your small intestine. Have they evaluated you for active inflammation there? In addition, everything from the mouth sores to fatigue is likely due to B vitamin deficiency, most likely vitamin B12 which is absorbed in the last part of the small intestine (the terminal ileum). I'm guessing you also are having problems with protein absorption and magnesium as well. Questions:

1. When was the last time you had a colonoscopy? Were they able to reach the terminal ileum?

2. When was the last time you had an MRE, CTE, capsule endoscopy (pill cam) or small bowel follow through? What were the results?

3. Have you ever had your vitamin B12 level tested? If so, what was it?

If I'm right (I'll bet money I am) then Asacol is nowhere near the proper treatment option for you. With everything you've described I am very concerned about you. :(

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I can only agree with what David has said and a low B12 was what immediately came to mind based on a lot of what you are feeling. Have any changes been made to your meds from this appt or are you still on just the Asacol?

AB
xx

i am new was told in jan i have chornes and it srever i am dealin with it but i get tried and moodie 2 but i go for walks and make myself do things i eat health now < well try and take vim these web site has helped me

Hi CRGX! Welcome! David said it all, so I just wanted to say "Hi!"

I loved this, by the way: My moods seem to be drastic (maybe cause I'm a teen)... Thanks for making me laugh! Seriously, though, my moods change, too, and I'm not a teen. It's hard to be positive when you are run down and it takes energy to smile, let alone walk. Make sure you're not too hard on yourself and let yourself get the rest you need!

Again, it's nice to meet you!