Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Arthritis » Radio frequency ablation for facet joints

02-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
starsandbucks

Radio frequency ablation for facet joints

I have terrible low back pain and have for years. In fact, I remember my first flare up happening in 7th grade but I was too embarrassed to tell anyone because I was only 12 and back pain was for old people.

So now I'm 38 with arthritis, 3 bulging discs, stenosis, scoliosis and arthritis and, of course, I can't take NSAIDS for any of it. Anyway, I've been getting steroid injections and the past two just didn't work and my dr says that happens. After a while you may stop responding. Bummer.

Yesterday I had a medial branch block in my facet joints to see if I'd be a candidate for radio frequency ablation where they basically go in with needles and burn your nerves. I had the diagnostic block done yesterday to see if it would help with the pain and if it did they could move on to the next step of burning the nerves.

Yesterday after the injections I felt like I had been kicked in the back but I woke up this morning feeling SO much better. Unfortunately the results from the block are short term because it's mostly just a diagnostic procedure but since it worked it means I can move on to the RFA! I could potentially get up to a year of relief before the nerves grow back! So excited!

Sorry this is so long but was wondering if anyone had done this and your experiences were. I'll also update this thread when I have the RFA done in case anyone else may be considering it. (Whoa this really was long! Thanks for reading!)
03-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
annawato

My Support Groups:
wow, thats great the medial branch helped and you can go on and get the RFA done. When will you get it done? Let us know how it goes as there is sure to be someone who be needing it done and wondering about its effectiveness.
All the best,

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
03-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Mistybear

I had that done for hand pain, not fun, but at the time the pain was so bad. Never had it done for back issues, but I would if needed. Radio frequency ablation was a blessing
03-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
starsandbucks

I'm having this done on Wednesday. I'm kind of dreading it because apparently it feels like a terrible sunburn and takes a few weeks for the nerves to die. But if works my life will be so much better! I'll continue to update after the procedure and the weeks following.
04-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
Sarahnarizona

My Support Groups:
I know this post is from 2012. I am hoping this will push this subject to the top.

Just wondering if anyone from this thread (or anyone new) wanted to give me an update. I was just scheduled for the first of two blocks to test to see if I am a candidate for RAF. My hips are killing me! I don't know if I want to do this. I am so up in the air.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Arthritis » Radio frequency ablation for facet joints