• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Farts...and my thoughts

Nyx

I was thinking in bed last night when I couldn't sleep about farts. Yes, really, I was.

When I was young, we lived out of town, so always had to go into the city to do our weekly grocery shopping and to visit family. I guess I was probably about 7 or so and I remember these weekly excursions vividly. My dad, brother, and I would drop my mom off at the grocery store and we'd head over to the Canadian Tire store (it's a hardware sort of store for those that don't know it). So, my dad, brother and I would be bombing around the store, mostly looking at fishing stuff, when my dad would let out a very loud fart (it never failed!). He'd do this in the aisle of the store and say very loudly "Cindy!!!!" or "Chris!!!!" (my brother), and we'd be mortified. And yet it never stopped us from wanting to go with him rather than staying with our mom at the grocery store. This was my first memory of being in a fart-positive family.

Now, years later, with Oscar in tow, I was wondering why he makes the various noises that he does. Sometimes he's quiet, like a breeze, sometimes he squeaks, and other times he's like a frickin' lumberjack! How do these various noises happen? And why do the loudest ones always happen at the most inopportune times? lol But, I will say that I've been carrying on the tradition and blaming my very loud farts on my stepdaughter, who's 7. It's all kinds of fun...and I now know why my dad got such a kick out of it....lol

Lol, great post Nyx! My Dad did the same thing in the grocery store with the exception of blaming it on a "buck snort" rather than us. Oh good times. And yes he still does it.

My stoma very rarely makes any noise at all. I have a group of mates who are always "farting" and having a good old giggle about it ( you wouldn't think they where well into their 20's), and having crohns before my ostomy meant that If I was feeling brave I could always join in and beat everyone hands down! I never thought I'd ever find myself saying this, but I miss being able to fart!

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
One morning about 6AM I went outside to have a smoke, it was nice out and the sun was just coming up. As I had my morning smoke I could feel a fart a coming. Being I was all alone I let it rip. It felt good to land a "DRY" one and it was a bit loud. Being proud of having a "good one" I said outloud, "That was a good one". From behind my fence I heard the man next door say. "Sounded good to me too." I didn't know what to do until he also said."You should have been here about 5 min. ago. I let out one that scared your dog."
I wish he still lived next door. He moved a few years ago.

One morning about 6AM I went outside to have a smoke, it was nice out and the sun was just coming up. As I had my morning smoke I could feel a fart a coming. Being I was all alone I let it rip. It felt good to land a "DRY" one and it was a bit loud. Being proud of having a "good one" I said outloud, "That was a good one". From behind my fence I heard the man next door say. "Sounded good to me too." I didn't know what to do until he also said."You should have been here about 5 min. ago. I let out one that scared your dog."
I wish he still lived next door. He moved a few years ago.
:rof: BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! :emot-waycool:

Well, I can't say that I miss being able to fart. I do confess to a real sense of relief with a good one, however I am not certain my neighbours share the same feelings!

My husband always asks if I'm jealous after he lets one rip. I then ask him if he is jealous because I don't have to get up to have a poo. :D

Me, too. I can't even remember back to when I could safely fart without unintended condequences! Now, when my stoma farts, at least it is contained.

Reading this thread and the comments has made me giggle :)

Last night I got into bed next to my boyfriend, I lied down and I did a really loud fart, it just fell out. My boyfriend was disgusted, I just giggled, I think he was jealous tbh cos his are usually squeaky whereas mine was a proper butt clapper!! Lol

I can remember my brother and I being kicked out of the car about 5 min from home as SOMEONE dropped a stinky fart. Dad yelled, we walked, and the funny part is that years latter my mum admitted to it being her! I blamed my brother for years, and to think it was my mum.

Great thread. Been having a really good belly laugh. I may have lost the capability of check slapping farts, but noticed as I was chuckling my bag was rustling.

annawato

Staff member
Mine isn't normally a farter but god it went off today! I was glad no-one was around.
I ate some green beans last night and didn't chew them properly so they created a temporary blockage (not painful or anything). Well when they passed they were followed by an enormous explosion of everything that had backed up behind them. It was fascinating to watch. I know you will appreciate this Toothy. :)

Its Monday morning i just logged on in work as i was in early, this made me laugh so much and has i'm pretty sure set me up for a good week.
Its the dog in our house! :)

maria

I love you God.
Love this!! Farting was the one thing I missed when I had a ostomy. Right when I got out of surgery from my takedown it was the first thing I wanted to do. Right when I got home from takedown I was laying in bed and felt comfortable to let it out, I did, it felt so amazing I wanted to cry, I felt so lucky. My kids thought I was crazy.

Yes, we have our own little 'bag of fun' entertainment don't we? I'd still prefer Johnny Depp though!
Me too! Why is farting funny? My dad was soldier when I was little and he always called it"shooting a German" must have been a wartime thing lol:rof:great to have a giggle!

I made a fart this morning!
It was just my stump expelling the air from the Pred foam butt facials.
But it made my day!
I exited the bathroom laughing and grinning like a fool.
Gee it felt great!

annawato

Staff member
I farted too, and quite a bit. The night before I had lots of gas in my bag - I had to get up 3 times to empty cos of the gas. I wondered if gas had pushed down into my colon from the bag. Do you think this is possible?
I've also been on antibiotics cos my wound has got infected again and wondered if they could have caused gas from the rear end?