Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » Sharing some hope and good news!

02-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Bld

Sharing some hope and good news!

Earlier this year I was really ill with my Crohn's having severe diarrhoea, which I have had really for the past ten years or so. Passing masses of blood, severe pains etc. Steroids didn't work. Colonoscopy showed severe ulceration and bleeding in the small bowel. Aza made me violently sick, Pentasa didn't work. I was at the end of my tether.

I was originally diagnosed in 1996 and have been under the weather if not very badly affected since then.

Well I am so pleased to say that thanks to support from my GI and here, I now feel better than I have ever felt before! I have no diarrhoea (let me tell you doing a normal poo is still really exciting!) no pain, no bleeding. I really feel like a normal person again. I am on 4g of Pentasa and 1/4 of a 6MP tablet twice a day.

I just wanted to say to everyone at the beginning of their Crohn's journey, there is hope to get back to a normal life.

I know there are no guarantees that this situation will last forever but I am fully intending to make the most of it while I can. My thoughts are with everyone suffering with this horrible disease and I hope and pray you are all able to find something that works for you.

Current meds:

6MP = 50mg/day
Pentasa 4 x 1mg/day
Ferrous Sulfate 3 x 200mg/day
Omaprazole
02-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thank you for sharing your story and I'm so glad to hear you are doing better!

Sharing success stories definitely gives many of us hope here that we will be able to get through this. I know I look forward to getting to the point of comfort you are in now

All the best!
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

02-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Astra

My Support Groups:
Kudos Bld, fingers crossed you stay well for a long time to come xxxx

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

02-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Angrybird

My Support Groups:
That's great new hun, long may it continue for you

DX: Crohns July 2002
Surgery: Ileocecal Resection Sept 2011
Now:Tummy behaving itself and new mummy to baby Nicholas
Current Meds: 6-MP 75mg,B12 injections every 3 months
Previous Meds: Budesonide, Prednisone, Remicade, Pentesa,Hydroxychlorequine,Azathioprine (tried twice) and Methotrexate
02-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Lustforlife

Heyyyy!!! That's great news! Would you mind sharing what you think made the difference for you? Is it the meds you listed, or something more?

Best wishes for a long remission!
02-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
Bld

It is accepting I have a disease and I will need medication for life. Until now I have always thought I could manage without medication and have coped with chronic diarrhoea for years. This bad flare was the kick I needed to accept this and the feeling of being well is amazing!
02-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story!! It's such good news!!

If you're on Facebook, please join me for daily silliness, inspiration, and IBD in the news at http://www.facebook.com/TheCrohnsDiaries.

"Cats: Because sometimes they really help you."
02-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
Teacrumb

Oh my gosh!! I am so happy for you. I remember my first pain-free day. I had forgotten what "normal" felt like. I cried it was so wonderful. I hope that you keep getting better and stronger!! God bless.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » Sharing some hope and good news!