• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

In remission!

Hey everyone!

I haven't been to the forums in over a year. Ya'll helped me during some of the scariest moments of my life, so I really just wanted to come back and offer some hope for the people who are suffering right now. I'm in remission :) Yay!!!

I want to share my story because it's embarassing, and I want people to know what Crohn's is like.. and that it's ok to talk about it if you're experiencing really awful and embarassing symptoms. I was diagnosed my first year of law school in 2009 after having been in pain for about a year. When I went to the ER, I was in so much pain I couldn't sit up or get dressed without assistance. It was shortly thereafter that I became infected with staph and began developing massive - and painful - abdominal abscesses. My doctors advised surgery, but because I was in school and had finals coming up, I chose to postpone surgery and instead opted for an abdominal drain, an IV, and pain meds and was released from the hospital. Because of the infection, my body developed two fistulas - one the drained outside my belly button! Needless to say, I suffered unspeakable pain and embarassment for three years, five months of which I was on an IV and was having CT scans done on a weekly basis. I lost 40 pounds (I'm 5'7 - I got down to 110 pounds) just because I couldn't eat. I lost all my hair. My coworkers and classmates thought I was dying. Not a day went by that someone didn't ask me what disease I had and if I was going to be ok. After two years of remicade, the fistulas never closed (and I experienced humiliating drainage from my belly that would stain my clothes and, oh yeah, embarass the crap out of me when it happened in public). I eventually received approval from my doctors to have an abdominal resection. The surgery was terrifying and I had a very difficult recovery. After multiple re-hospitalizations due to infections and months of pain, IVs, and homecare nurses, I finally recovered from surgery... and I have been in remission and off remicade ever since. And the fistulas both closed.

I wanted to share this because I know this disease can rob you of your dignity and self-worth. There was a time in my life when I never thought I would feel normal again. I thought I would never be able to date again. I thought no one would ever want to be with me because I was disgusting and disfigured from my disease. Please don't give up! No matter how scary it looks right now, you can get through this and acheive remission. Please stick with your treatments and don't take no for an answer. Be aggressive and don't let your doctors give up on you. If your doctor doesn't think he can help you, find a doctor who can. Good luck and God bless!!

By the way, I have also gained all the weight back plus reinforcements. Somehow, I don't miss being that thin!

I just wanted to add that remicade was a miracle for me. That drug brought me back to life. It didn't fix my fistulas, but after I started remicade, I eventually went into remission and began gaining weight again - the difference was incredible. The abdominal resection was solely to get rid of the fistulas - it was a difficult recovery because of the type of surgery and my history of infection. But I do not regret it. I would do it a thousand times over.

afidz

Super Moderator
Congrats on remission! I see your in Dallas, is that actually Dallas or somewhere in the area? You really went through a lot nd I am sure you can help a lot of people on here

I actually live in Plano :) I just put Dallas because I figured that's the closest city people outside of Texas will be familiar with. Thank you.

afidz

Super Moderator
We live so close!! My doctor is in Plano. :heart: him. I don't think I have met anyone closer than you, there is a monitor from Keller, but thats still a bit away

David

Co-Founder
Congratulations on the remission and coming back to share an update. It's so important for people who are doing well to check in and share such information on occasion so I really appreciate you doing so.

Continued good health to you!