• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello, Newbie dx UC

Hi, I am 43 yrs old and was dx with ulcerative proctitis/colitis last year around November. I was in the hospital in Sept with Infectious gastroenteritis, sepsis, dehydration. Funny that the doctors could not find any organism in stool cultures. I lost 4 points in hgb and docs wanted to watch me longer because my bloody diarrhea was had turned into mostly blood. I have had bloody BM's since I was early 20's. nope, never mentioned it :ack:
To make a long story short, my internal med doc referred me to GI, who did a colonoscopy in Nov and found mild inflammation. He gave me Canasa 1000mg at bedtime rectally. Stated mild ulcerative proctitis. A week later, I flared up and could not keep supp in. Was given Lialda 8.4 gm every morning, Cortifoam rectally twice a day for two weeks. Saw GI Doc again in two weeks and shared my family history. I was positive for lactoferrin in stool samples, no parasites or other bugs. My liver enzymes were high and I told him they have been since 2006 when I had my gallbladder out. My sister last year was hospitalized for ischemic bowel, possible stricture. She did not require surgery. They told her that she may have Crohns, but she didn't go back to GI. My Mother passed away on 3/27/2011. She always had either horrible diarrhea or constipation lasting 2 weeks. So bowel problems seem to run in my family.
Now GI wants to evaluate me for Crohn's disease. Wow, what a long Introduction. I hope to learn lots and be able to share experiences.
Tammy

Angrybird

Hello Tammy and welcome to the forum.

Just to confirm are you still on the above mentioned meds and if so have they helped at all with your tum? Do you follow any type of diet at all? With regards to the crohn's evaluation are you now having another round of tests? How often are you seeing your GI for check ups? How is your sister now doing?

There is a lot of helpful info and support here for you so I am glad you have decided to join.

AB
xx

I am still on the Lialda and Canasa and Hemax. I see GI dr in 2days where I should get the results and find out the game plan. Sister is not following dr directions and has not returned for follow up.
I started a modified Paleo diet which is not bad. My favorite foods are raw veggies and I have not had an appetite for some time. Lost 7lbs. I was following a low residue diet. But since my BM were pencil thin, I thought I would add fiber. No change in BM or amount. I hope I don't have a stricture.

Thanks for reading this,
Tammy