Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » The Amitriptyline Club Support Group

05-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #31
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Another update: I've been on amitriptyline since last December, and I'm still sleeping really well. I wondered if it was still helping me sleep or whether I'm just sleeping better anyway. I used to sleep well without any meds, but started amitriptyline when I was on prednisone which caused insomnia. I'm no longer on prednisone, but I carried on with the amitriptyline because it was making me far more calm than I used to be.

So yesterday I tried taking amitriptyline in the early evening, rather than at bedtime like I usually do. And the result was me falling fast asleep just an hour or two after I'd taken it, and sleeping right through the night as well. Which I'm taking to mean that I've not become tolerant to its effects (I get really worried about the possibility of becoming tolerant to meds, and couldn't find much information about amitriptyline in this respect). So it's good news - it's still working.
05-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #32
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
My own experience over two years is that I take it every night and double up in times of crisis. I have tested coming off it with no withdrawal. Personally I have no fear of this drug in moderate doses before sleep. It might contribute to waking drowsiness but I can live with that, my one coffee of the day fixes that.
05-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #33
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I don't find amitriptyline makes me that much more drowsy during the day. It does make me feel calm emotionally, which I guess is kind of related to drowsiness. Or maybe I'm just so tired all the time anyway that I don't notice the difference. What I do notice is that there's no gradual build up to falling asleep with amitriptyline like there usually is when you fall asleep naturally. I take the med, my sleepiness level stays about the same for a couple of hours, and suddenly I fall into a very deep sleep.
05-13-2013, 02:37 AM   #34
Jo-b1

My Support Groups:
It gave me the most vivid and scary dreams my poor man copped it with me letting out screams in middle of night,had to stop taking it.
05-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #35
Astra

My Support Groups:
UnXmas, I'm exactly the same!
I don't feel drowsy during the day and I'm defo much calmer, I'm still loving this Amitrip!

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

05-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #36
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm the same too, Joan and Unxmas. I usually take my Amitriptyline an hour or so before bedtime, then I do something relaxing like take a bath or read a book. By the time I'm ready for bed, I'm feeling quite drowsy and can usually fall asleep pretty easily. I find that I don't always stay asleep though and sometimes wake up too early, particularly with the sun coming up so early this time of year. I think the sun comes up around 5 AM because that's when I find my eyes opening lately - the sunlight shines through my supposed light-blocking curtains and then my eyes pop open. I can usually doze back off until it's time to get up, but it's annoying. Still, since its primary purpose for me is to prevent migraines, I'm happy to stay on Amitriptyline and can't complain too much. I haven't had a migraine for probably 6 months or so which is great!
05-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #37
annawato

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone, I'm taking amitriptyline to slow down my ileostomy. I can now get through the night without having a leak! I'm only taking 20mg cos I'm on other antidepressants and there could be a problem with serotonin syndrome. I'd like to take more because it also helps with pain and I like the idea of less anxiety - I could ditch the xanax. Is anyone else taking it with an antidepressant and if so how much are you taking and do you have any side effects? Thanks.

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
05-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #38
GutlessWonder86
Forum Monitor

hi, I'm on amitriptaline due to migraines. I am on 25 mg but I find that I wake up extremely groggy for most of the day and can't function. I cld the neurologist at the headache clinic and he said for me to cut the tablet in half--12.5 for 3 days and then bump it back up to 1 tablet.

I did that and I'm still groggy and can't even drive for fear of getting into an accident so I wind up rescheduling my medial appointments.

Does anybody else face this issue..the grogginess and does it go away if you are on it for a certain period of time? how does it take for the grogginess to go away so you can get on with your day of work, chores, driving, etc.

thanks. oh, I have had Crohn's for a long time but I'm on Entocort to keep it in check.

05-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #39
GutlessWonder86
Forum Monitor

I take the amitriptaline an hour or so before bedtime.
05-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #40
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone, I'm taking amitriptyline to slow down my ileostomy. I can now get through the night without having a leak! I'm only taking 20mg cos I'm on other antidepressants and there could be a problem with serotonin syndrome. I'd like to take more because it also helps with pain and I like the idea of less anxiety - I could ditch the xanax. Is anyone else taking it with an antidepressant and if so how much are you taking and do you have any side effects? Thanks.
Hi, like I think I said in my previous posts, I didn't start taking amitriptyline for its antidepressant effects, but it does make me feel calm and puts me in a better mood than I'd be in normally.

It doesn't give me any "high" feelings - I don't feel energetic or get a buzz from it. I think that's a good thing though. The only times I've experienced something like that have been when I've been on morphine (I've never done any type of illegal drugs), and the high felt very false, and my actions and words felt a bit out of control. That's fine when you're in hospital and your family and the nurses know you're going to be loopy from the drugs, but the calm, natural state of mind that amitriptyline puts me in is far far better than a high off of morphine.

Side effects - it slows my digestive system down too. Not good if you're prone to constipation, but for me (and many other people on a Crohn's forum I expect), this is a bonus.

It also makes my bladder feel a bit uncomfortable.

Just to warn you though - a huge number of side effects can come from amitriptyline, and there's not really any good way of predicting which you'll get, or at which dose. It can take several weeks before both its side effects and desired effects come on, and you may need to experiment with adjusting the dosage for a while to find the amount which suits you best.
05-16-2013, 06:02 AM   #41
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
hi, I'm on amitriptaline due to migraines. I am on 25 mg but I find that I wake up extremely groggy for most of the day and can't function. I cld the neurologist at the headache clinic and he said for me to cut the tablet in half--12.5 for 3 days and then bump it back up to 1 tablet.

I did that and I'm still groggy and can't even drive for fear of getting into an accident so I wind up rescheduling my medial appointments.

Does anybody else face this issue..the grogginess and does it go away if you are on it for a certain period of time? how does it take for the grogginess to go away so you can get on with your day of work, chores, driving, etc.thanks. oh, I have had Crohn's for a long time but I'm on Entocort to keep it in check.

I can't offer much help I'm afraid,

I've read that the drowsiness can fade over time, but for me its sedating effects seem to continue consistently. As sleep was the effect I desired from it, this isn't an unwelcome effect for me.

I can't function due to exhaustion whether or not I'm on amitriptyline, so I was already used to feeling daytime sleepiness.
05-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #42
annawato

My Support Groups:

Does anybody else face this issue..the grogginess and does it go away if you are on it for a certain period of time? how does it take for the grogginess to go away so you can get on with your day of work, chores, driving, etc.

thanks. oh, I have had Crohn's for a long time but I'm on Entocort to keep it in check.

I get a little bit of sedation at bedtime though not much and it doesn't affect me during the day - but then very few drugs do affect me in this way. You could try just taking a quarter of a tablet for a week then slowly up it as your body adjusts. Hope this helps,
anna
08-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #43
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
Is there any risk of cancers with this drug??? Also kidney problems?
08-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #44
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Is there any risk of cancers with this drug??? Also kidney problems?
Not according to my side effects leaflet, 723crossroads. It can cause bladder problems - "problems passing urine, increased urine production" - I'm not sure whether that could lead to kidney problems, but it doesn't say so.

I've been on this over seven months now and all the side effects seem to have settled down and it's still putting me to sleep and still helping my emotions.
08-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #45
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone!

I'm so happy about this forum. I just started Amitriptyline about three weeks ago. I started at 10mg, now I'm at 25mg. I'm sleeping better. I think it may be calming me down a little bit which I need. I'm a caregiver for two mentally ill family members. Dealing with depression and anxiety myself, anything to help with sleep is much needed. If my stomach is hurting at bedtime, I'll take a bentyl + gas x + Amitriptyline and I'll sleep through it.

As far as daytime grogginess goes, I kind of like it. I have one coffee in the morning which helps me get going. That's all the caffeine I have all day. Lately I am taking a nap around 2-3pm. In fact. I am just waking up again for the second time today!
08-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #46
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Hi Moogle, I'm glad you're feeling benefits so far. For amitriptyline to help with depression and anxiety you'd usually need a much higher dose than what you're on now though, but I'm glad you're sleeping better!
09-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #47
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
Has anyone experienced weird dreams with amitriptyline? I am still sleeping well, but my dreams have gotten really odd. Not necessarily scary, but on the borderline.
09-13-2013, 04:28 AM   #48
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Has anyone experienced weird dreams with amitriptyline? I am still sleeping well, but my dreams have gotten really odd. Not necessarily scary, but on the borderline.
I haven't, but it is listed on my leaflet of Amitriptyline side effects.
09-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #49
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
Yup, I see nightmares on the list.

Last night I dreamed that I was really high off the ground, hanging upside down by my legs on some swings. I didn't fall, but my sunglasses fell off and a bunch of bugs scattered...

Now, time to call my therapist!
09-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #50
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I seem to recall having odd dreams when I was first on Amitriptyline, but now that I've been on it for a few years, I'm noticing that my dreams are so normal that I sometimes can't remember if it was a dream or real life. Like, I'll dream that I'm cleaning my kitchen, or I'll dream that there's a hole in my pants pocket and I need to mend it. Really boring, mundane stuff like that. And as a result, it confuses me. A few days after the dream, I'll think, is there really a hole in my pants pocket? In the dream, it happened on a specific pair of pants. So I'll go and check over my pair of pants thoroughly and I get confused when I can't find the hole. It's very odd! Sometimes I still have typical dreams, the kind of dream where nothing makes sense or I can fly or whatever. And I know later on that those are dreams of course, but the line between dream and reality gets really blurred when I dream about mundane things!
09-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #51
annawato

My Support Groups:
Cat, i have dreams like that too. Where you think something has happened but it didn't cos you only dreamt it. Very strange. And embarrassing if it concerns someone and you mention it..... Fortunately my family know all about it. This has occured for years though and isn't related to amitriptyline.
I'm on 50 mg to slow down the output from my stoma. I've reduced the dose of my other antidepressant and was wondering what dose of ami helps with anxiety and depression?
09-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #52
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Annawato, I googled and found this:
Oral:
Initial dose: 25 to 100 mg per day in 3 to 4 divided doses or 50 to 100 mg at bedtime.
Maintenance dose: 25 to 150 mg per day in single or 3 to 4 divided doses. 25 mg per day at bedtime has been used for premenstrual depression. Dose increases should be made gradually. A small number of hospitalized patients may need as much as 300 mg per day. ECG, blood pressure, and heart rate monitoring is recommended for patients receiving high doses.
From this site: http://www.drugs.com/amitriptyline.html

I was thinking it was something like 100 or 150 mg for depression and that seems to be what this is saying. I don't know if a higher dose works for other stuff - I know that when my GI bumped me up to 40 mg, it stopped preventing my migraines. I'd been on 25 mg which was working great, can't remember why he bumped me up, but the migraines came right back. So he put me back at 25 mg and that's been okay still.
09-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #53
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Cat, i have dreams like that too. Where you think something has happened but it didn't cos you only dreamt it. Very strange. And embarrassing if it concerns someone and you mention it..... Fortunately my family know all about it. This has occured for years though and isn't related to amitriptyline.
I'm on 50 mg to slow down the output from my stoma. I've reduced the dose of my other antidepressant and was wondering what dose of ami helps with anxiety and depression?
Higher doses are used for depression: 150 - 300mg a day. I take 150 and it helps my mood a lot. I tried taking more but above 150mg it doesn't seem to make any more of a difference than 150. This is true for insomnia too. Low doses are usually used for insomnia (like 10 or 20mg), but that didn't help me sleep. At 100mg it started helping me sleep; at 150mg (the dose I stuck with) I can sleep through anything. And as with the effects on my mood, the strength of the effects do not seem to increase for me if I take more than 150, i.e. I get the same strength of effects at 300mg as I get at 150mg.
09-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #54
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
It's not doing anything for my stomach at 25mg. My doc said I should come off because of the nightmares. I may ask to try it at 50mg and see how it works. I'm feeling bummed out because for a while I felt like I had some control over my D.

I was trying Amitriptyline and 1/2 imodium. The imodium just backed me up and the D just comes back. The Amitriptyline didn't stop the D. I am pretty sure it's some stuff in my diet I need to change. I was hoping these meds could allow me to eat more liberally without worrying. So depressed right now.
09-16-2013, 03:44 AM   #55
annawato

My Support Groups:
Moogle, I have no idea if this will work but when you have a stoma and have liquid output certain foods can help. Apples are one thing that really helps and also metamucil which is counterintuitive since its a stool softener but what it and the foods do is absorb excess liquid from the bowel so making you have a more formed but still soft poo. Any soluble fibre should help so if you google soluble fibre and see what foods take your fancy.....? This may not help at all and I'm not sure what foods you can and cannot tolerate but thought it may be a way to slow things down since you are not getting any relief from medications.
Questran is another medication that may help - it absorbs bile salts from the intestine and liquid with it...............but your doctor is best to advise on this since it may interact with other meds.
09-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #56
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
Thanks annawato. Actually I am trying questran. Funny enough, just tryed it for the first time this morning. Too soon to know how it's working. I'm taking it in the morning since I'm not on other meds in the morning. Crossing fingers!
09-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #57
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
It's not doing anything for my stomach at 25mg. My doc said I should come off because of the nightmares. I may ask to try it at 50mg and see how it works. I'm feeling bummed out because for a while I felt like I had some control over my D.

I was trying Amitriptyline and 1/2 imodium. The imodium just backed me up and the D just comes back. The Amitriptyline didn't stop the D. I am pretty sure it's some stuff in my diet I need to change. I was hoping these meds could allow me to eat more liberally without worrying. So depressed right now.
Generally I found the constipating effects of Amitriptyline exceptionally strong, but then for some reason I still have odd days with really severe diarrhoea. My doctors have suggested it's "overflow" diarrhoea - i.e. that I've been so constipated that liquid stool is all that can get past an impaction in the bowel, but I'm not convinced as sometimes it seems like a really large volume for that explanation - but you might want to consider it if you're still getting diarrhoea on Amitriptyline and Imodium. I gave up Imodium and Lomotil once I started Amytriptyline.

I hope you have more luck with the Questran. Have you tried Lomotil (Co-phenotrope)? I found it stronger than Imodium but less constipating than Amytriptyline.
09-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #58
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Annawato mentioned metamucil - the main ingredient in metamucil is psyllium husks. I take psyllium myself, it does a lot of good for me - but like with questran, it can interfere with how medications are absorbed/digested, so if anyone reading this does try metamucil/psyllium, make sure to wait at least 2 hours before & after to take any medications.

As for amitriptyline being constipating, I find it only constipates me if I take other meds in conjunction with it. If I just take Amitriptyline, I don't get constipated and tend towards looser stools/diarrhea. But if I take a zofran, I get a little bit constipated. If I take a Lomotil, I can get very constipated and may not go for up to a week. So be really careful taking stuff like that when you're on Amitriptyline! I'd rather have d than be backed up for a week, at least then things are moving through me and I'm not risking a blockage or anything like that. So I only take zofran when I really need it, and I pretty much do not take Lomotil at all anymore.
09-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #59
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
Cat, I'm feeling the same way. Nothing good can come from prolonged C. There may be some truth to what UnXmas said about an "overflow". I had a similar experience a month ago after being stopped up on Imodium for a week and had an acute attack (after my mother's birthday dinner too no less). So I'm pretty much done with Imodium unless it's an emergency.

UnXmas, did you find the constipating effects of Amitriptyline more so at a higher dosage? I've been doing 25 mg the last few weeks. Thanks!

p.s. Thanks for your support. Even though I don't have IBD diagnosed, this is a really helpful forum for me.
09-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #60
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:

UnXmas, did you find the constipating effects of Amitriptyline more so at a higher dosage? I've been doing 25 mg the last few weeks. Thanks!
Yes a lot more. I didn't notice any constipating effects until I was up to about 100mg, and at 300mg I needed stool softeners.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » The Amitriptyline Club Support Group