Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » The Amitriptyline Club Support Group

09-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #61
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I'm curious if you guys are using this for depression, diarrhea or both?

I'm being told it can help slow down diarrhea? Anything to go less would be nice. Does it create a bulking effect like Imodium?
09-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #62
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
NGNG, I'm on a low dose of Amitriptyline to prevent migraines (I'm on 25 mg). My GI put me on it because he felt it might help with my bowels too - he said it can "calm the guts" in some people, but I don't think I'm one of those people. I haven't noticed any change in my guts, except like I said, if I take another med (like Zofran or Lomotil) in conjunction with Amitriptyline then I'll get constipated. But on its own, no, I personally haven't noticed any constipating or bulking effect. I did some googling on the whole "calm the guts" thing when I was first taking Amitriptyline, and I seem to recall that my impression was that it works better for "calming" IBS rather than IBD. My GI has said he thinks I have both IBS and IBD, but Amitriptyline hasn't done much for my guts. As a migraine preventative, though, it's great! I get way fewer migraines than I used to, so I'm happy to stay on Amitriptyline forever just because of that.
09-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #63
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I'm sorry it hasn't helped your guts too. We need all the help we can get. Do you think it might just be because you are on a low dose?

I need an anti-diarrheal and wouldn't mind an anti-depressant too but the tricyclics scare me.
09-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #64
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I'm sorry it hasn't helped your guts too. We need all the help we can get. Do you think it might just be because you are on a low dose?

I need an anti-diarrheal and wouldn't mind an anti-depressant too but the tricyclics scare me.
I was actually prescribed it for prednisone-induced insomnia. But first I noticed it was far far more constipating than any anti-diarrhoea drug I'd ever taken (Imodium and Lomotil) and then after quite a few weeks noticed it was also boosting my mood and my outlook on life. Now I don't have insomnia because I'm off pred, but am still taking it for my mood, and it also means that when I have a lot of stomach discomfort during the night, I can sleep through much more of it. When I had surgery, I slept SO much better than after any previous surgery, and I'm sure that was because Amitriptyline was knocking me out. I am on a high(ish) dose - 150mg.
09-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #65
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
I may ask my doc about upping the dosage as well. At least I know it may be an option to try. I also have a lot of anxiety problems that could benefit from an antidepressant. SSRIs DID NOT agree with me in the past so I don't want to try them again. Elavil has been gentle thus far at the lower dosage (minus the funky dreams, haha).
09-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #66
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Moogle, as long as you don't get migraines, I would think it'd be okay to ask your doctor to up the dosage. I believe I mentioned this earlier, but at one point my GI decided to try me at 40 mg instead of my usual 25. Within a few weeks, my migraines came back, so I went right back to 25 mg and have been doing well at that dosage ever since. But I didn't notice any side effects or even an increase/change in the odd dreams during the few weeks that I was at 40 mg, so in my experience it would have been fine if not for the migraines returning. If I didn't have migraines and wanted to increase the dosage, I don't think I would want to go from 25 mg right to something like 100 though, I'd maybe go from 25 to 50 and see how that goes, then maybe up to 75, etc. Step it up gradually - particularly since you had a bad experience with other types of antidepressants, do it in baby steps rather than all at once so you don't overwhelm your system.
09-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #67
Weeze2

My Support Groups:
Hello
I have recently been prescribed Ami for lower back/severe RLQ/right hip pain - I was in so much pain that I could hardly stand, bend down or walk up or down stairs. I also couldn't lie on my right side at all. My Gastro Dr didnt think these symptoms were anything to do with the IBD and so gave me 10mg of Ami a day for 28 days. The pain has almost gone away and I am sleeping better. I just wondered if anyone else has been given it for these reasons? From reading on this group most people have had it for migraines or insomnia, and I am just a bit curious as why Ive been given it for my hip/back pain? I have also not found that the Ami has helped at all with the D or bad BM that ive been having.

Would be interested to know if anyone else has been given Ami for the same reasons as me and if they had to carry on taking it for good? I was concerned that it was the first signs of joint problems as the pain was in my hip more than anywhere else.

Thanks in advance and Im happy to find a thread to do with this medication!
09-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #68
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
I was originally prescribed it because I found that Ativan helped me sleep through my stomach pain. My doctor thought it was because of anxiety so he gave me Ami 10 mg. Ativan was too addicting to me because it is a benzo. Bad withdrawals with that one.

I seem to be sleeping a little better with it with ami. I am sticking with it for the meantime because I need as much sleep as possible. UnXmas was mentioning it was more constipating at higher doses. I may ask my doc to up my dosage in the future because I have anxiety. It is originally an antidepressant. Hope that helps.
09-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #69
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
Who else is getting dry mouth like crazy? It may be because I sometimes use bentyl at night with it. I need to pick up some biotene mouthwash today!
09-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #70
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Who else is getting dry mouth like crazy? It may be because I sometimes use bentyl at night with it. I need to pick up some biotene mouthwash today!
I do but not from Amitriptyline. I think that's one of the side effects that will gradually wear off (after weeks/months). I've been on Amitriptyline since last December and can finally say that it no longer gives me the bladder problems it did when I was first on it.

I just end up using mouthwash many times a day. I've tried all sorts of artificial salivas and other dry mouth products but none of them seem to help.
10-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #71
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
So I did a really stupid thing yesterday evening: I was planning on going straight to bed and took my usual 150mg Amitriptyline. Then I had to use the bathroom, and so an hour later I still wasn't in bed. But when I'd finished in the bathroom and was heading to bed for the second time, I was apparently operating on auto-pilot because without thinking I took another 150mg.

And I slept for ages! I didn't wake up until about two hours after the time I usually wake up, and instead of waking up for a second multiple times throughout the night (sometimes stomach discomfort makes me wake up just a little, and sometimes I wake up when my dog (who sleeps with me) moves around). But having taken the 300mg Amitriptyline I didn't stir once the entire night. I love how I don't seem to be building any tolerance to this med when it comes to using it for sleep! Sometimes I wonder if it would still work to treat insomnia for me - and apparently it would.
10-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #72
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
Wow, that's a lot. I'm glad you're ok. If I took that much, I'd probably hibernate through winter.
10-04-2013, 04:05 AM   #73
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Wow, that's a lot. I'm glad you're ok. If I took that much, I'd probably hibernate through winter.
I think I was still in the range deemed safe for use, but definitely at the upper end of it. I actually felt really good after my nice sleep!
10-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #74
long time crohnie

My Support Groups:
Im new to this club but not with the use of Amitripyline. I believe the first time I was prescribed it was to help w sleep when I was first dx with depression and was taking Prozac. I stopped using it because it made me sleepy in the am and I was still in the work force. My GI doc wanted me to begin again earlier this year when nothing was helping control my D. I was taking 6 tabs of lomotil daily as well as immodium and nothing helped. I was also experiencing some incontinece at night while asleep. I always seem to wake up right after i lose it not before! Anyway, it didnt help much a few months ago so stopped. Im also taking wellbutrin and lexapro as well as low dose xanex when needed. I started taking it(25mg) again recently with this flare-up in my colon and the D has really slowed down! It could also be that Im on prednisone as well, but I have stopped taking the lomotil and immodium all together which is amazing! I was told it helps with spasm as well and that may be why Wheeze2 was given it to try? Glad to see this old drug is helping us all out in some way or another. Oh, and I can sleep!!

In the midst of my first flare in 13yrs
11-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #75
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm no longer in this club as of yesterday. Had a GI appointment, and I told him I've still been having some gut symptoms off & on, including passing blood. He's of the school of thought that amitriptyline can "calm" the guts and induce/maintain remission. I'm not of that school of thought and amitriptyline has never been enough to keep me in remission by itself. Anyway, my GI said that amitriptyline gets turned into nortriptyline in the body by an enzyme, but he said some people lack the enzyme and maybe I'm one of those and that's why it's not doing enough for my guts. So he said I should try nortriptyline itself as that might work better for me. I'm willing to give it a shot, but am not overly optimistic by any means and I'm pretty sure I need something more than nortriptyline and Pentasa to get me back into remission! But, I took my first nortriptyline last night (still 25 mg, same dose as the amitriptyline). It went well - I did have a lot of dreams, but otherwise no side effects or big difference so far.

Anybody else try nortriptyline after taking amitriptyline? Did you notice any difference/improvement between that & amitriptyline? I just mainly want to keep my migraines in check - amitriptyline did such a great job of preventing them, so I was hesitant to make the switch. If I get a migraine anytime soon, I'm going to go right back to amitriptyline.
11-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #76
annawato

My Support Groups:
Sorry cat I can't help you with that one but I wish you the best wiht it, hopefully it will keep those migraines at bay.
anna

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
11-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #77
Nims22

My Support Groups:
I take 20mg nightly for migraines and to help with body and stomach pain. In the beginning, it was great -- stopped me up and I had zero pain and slept so good but after a month those benefits were lost. It is a miracle for migraines though. I used to have 5 migraine days a week. Unbearable pain. I've been on it since August and have had 3 migraines in the past 3 months. Only around my period and they go away easily with a pain killer.
11-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #78
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I'm no longer in this club as of yesterday. Had a GI appointment, and I told him I've still been having some gut symptoms off & on, including passing blood. He's of the school of thought that amitriptyline can "calm" the guts and induce/maintain remission. I'm not of that school of thought and amitriptyline has never been enough to keep me in remission by itself. Anyway, my GI said that amitriptyline gets turned into nortriptyline in the body by an enzyme, but he said some people lack the enzyme and maybe I'm one of those and that's why it's not doing enough for my guts. So he said I should try nortriptyline itself as that might work better for me. I'm willing to give it a shot, but am not overly optimistic by any means and I'm pretty sure I need something more than nortriptyline and Pentasa to get me back into remission! But, I took my first nortriptyline last night (still 25 mg, same dose as the amitriptyline). It went well - I did have a lot of dreams, but otherwise no side effects or big difference so far.

Anybody else try nortriptyline after taking amitriptyline? Did you notice any difference/improvement between that & amitriptyline? I just mainly want to keep my migraines in check - amitriptyline did such a great job of preventing them, so I was hesitant to make the switch. If I get a migraine anytime soon, I'm going to go right back to amitriptyline.
Cat - do you know what the difference is between Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline in terms of their effects? If you lacked the enzyme, wouldn't that mean you wouldn't have experienced benefits on Amitriptyline at all? I've never heard of Amitriptyline being used as a treatment/maintenance med for IBD. I've read it can help with general stomach pain and as it's constipating it can help with diarrhoea, but I can't see how it would help with bleeding? Hope the Nortriptyline works for you anyway - if it's anything like Amitriptyline the effects may take a while to kick in, so it may be worth keeping going with it.

I finally found that Amitriptyline is not a universal anti-insomnia med for me. I always get terrible restless legs and insomnia after general anaesthesia, and my recent surgery was no exception. But the doctors did drastically reduce my Amitriptyline dose from 150mg to 50mg because they didn't want it slowing my gut down - so perhaps I was in a close to withdrawal state? Anyway, I had several awful nights. Now I'm back from hospital the last couple of nights and my usual dose of Amitriptyline - plus the effects of the anaesthesia finally wearing off - and I've slept well. Still waking up a bit from pain and because I'm getting used to sleeping with a stoma bag, but no more insomnia or restless legs, touch wood.
11-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #79
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
I've been wanting to get off of it because I just generally hate taking meds, but I notice I sleep a lot better on ami. I actually ran out yesterday for example, and unfortunately I had bad gas and bloating all night long due to stuff I ate (and not having a good bm yesterday). I couldn't sleep well, kept waking up because of the discomfort. I'm gonna stay on it because I need the sleep.
11-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #80
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
UnXmas, my GI said I might not be totally lacking the enzyme, but it's possible I don't produce enough of it or something along those lines. Nortriptyline is not keeping me asleep nor helping me fall asleep as well as amitriptyline did. The guts have been okay so far and no migraines as of yet. I've only been on the nortriptyline for like 4 days now, so I know I have to give it more time to see what it really does for me.
11-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #81
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Well, I'm happy to say that I'm back in this club as of yesterday. I tried the nortriptyline stuff for 2 weeks, but it made no difference in my guts and I wasn't getting any sleep on it. I emailed my GI saying I wanted to go back on Amitriptyline, and yesterday he wrote me back saying that's fine with him. So I took my Amitriptyline last night before bed, and I slept so much better than I have been! I missed my Amitriptyline and am happy to be back on it, as it's apparently the only way I'm going to get any sleep.
11-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #82
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Well, I'm happy to say that I'm back in this club as of yesterday. I tried the nortriptyline stuff for 2 weeks, but it made no difference in my guts and I wasn't getting any sleep on it. I emailed my GI saying I wanted to go back on Amitriptyline, and yesterday he wrote me back saying that's fine with him. So I took my Amitriptyline last night before bed, and I slept so much better than I have been! I missed my Amitriptyline and am happy to be back on it, as it's apparently the only way I'm going to get any sleep.
Welcome back! Having had my dose reduced when I was in hospital, I know the feeling of how nice it is being back on it and able to sleep again!

Was it just 2 weeks you were off it? I wonder if you were in withdrawal, as I believe that can cause insomnia?
11-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #83
annawato

My Support Groups:
Welcome back to the club Cat!
anna
11-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #84
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
Yay. It's about time for my Ami. Gonna sleep good tonight.
11-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #85
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
Hey guys, I've been having rapid heart beats a lot lately. It may be hypoglycemia, but it's a lot worse than I remember. I take both bentyl and elavil and rapid heart beats are a side effect of both. Has anyone had issues with rapid heart beats?
11-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #86
rrhood1

My Support Groups:
Yes - my heart flutters occasionally. I've been on Elavil for 25 years on & off. My GP had me do a halter monitor for 24 hours & the cardiologist decided that the benefits of the Elavil outweigh the little heart flutters. He gave me a small dose of a Beta blocker once a day & I'm fine now.

Dx: Crohns - 2010
Dx: Severe cervical spondylosis/foraminal stenosis, ruptured discs
Dx: Severe lumbar ruptured discs
Dx: thyroid cancer - 2 surgeries - done with
Rx: Remicade, Methotrexate, Lyrica, Butrans patch
Vitamin D, C, B, calcium
11-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #87
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
Thanks rrhood1. I'm going to stop it for a short while and see how I do. It's kinda funny because I feel like I sleep deeper when I'm on it, but sometimes I have a hard time falling asleep because of the fluttering.
11-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #88
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
UnX, I don't think I was in withdrawal - I was taking Nortriptyline, which is very similar (my GI told me that Amitriptyline gets turned into Nortriptyline in the body by an enzyme) - it's just that I didn't have the sedating powers of Ami (Nortriptyline doesn't knock you out like Ami does for some odd reason). With Amitriptyline, I take it an hour before bed and then fall asleep pretty quickly when I crawl into bed - I can definitely feel the sedating effect. With Nortriptyline, I had no sedating effect, and naturally I've never been able to fall asleep easily on my own, so I'd just lie there and eventually drift off but wake up multiple times and I just didn't feel very rested. I'm so happy to be back on Amitriptyline, I've been sleeping so well since I have been back on it!

Moogle, I get palpitations every so often, but nothing like what you described - it's definitely never kept me from falling asleep, I maybe get one or two short (a few seconds) episodes of palpitations every week or so. I wonder if something like Lomotil would help you like Bentyl does, without this weird effect on your heart? At any rate, this is definitely something to mention to your doctor, especially if it gets worse or doesn't get better.
01-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #89
Moogle33

My Support Groups:
I missed a night last night because I ran out of Ami. I slept enough, but today I felt really stressed out. Has anyone felt that way after missing a night? I got my refill and can't wait to take it and sleep tonight!
01-16-2014, 05:51 AM   #90
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I missed a night last night because I ran out of Ami. I slept enough, but today I felt really stressed out. Has anyone felt that way after missing a night? I got my refill and can't wait to take it and sleep tonight!
It can cause withdrawal symptoms so it may well have been the ami. When I had to have a dramatically reduced dose following surgery (my bowel was paralysed and ami is constipating) I felt awful, but at first there was no way to know how much of this was due to the ami as I was on a load of new drugs and also going through a codeine withdrawal (for the same reason - codeine's constipating), but after going a couple of weeks hardly sleeping at all, when I got home and got back on amitriptyline I was not only able to sleep again, but also felt so much more well, mentally and physically after taking that first dose at the amount I'd been on prior to surgery.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » The Amitriptyline Club Support Group