Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » The Amitriptyline Club Support Group

08-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #181
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hi, I see in an earlier post, someone mentioned Amyltriptile affected one's cortisol level? Can anyone explain? Also does Amy cause weight gain?
What type of 'bladder problems' does it cause?
I've been on it for about five years now. Originally prescribed for degenerative disc disease, but seems to also help the Crohn's. I'm taking 35mg at bedtine with two Solpadol.
Amitriptyline is actually originally intended as an antidepressant. As an antidepressant it reduces stress, theoretically if one lowers stress you would also lower the natural production of the stress hormone cortisol in our adrenal glands. Cortisol is our natural version of steroids which reduces inflammation among serving other functions. When used as a medication, it is known as hydrocortisone. Too much cortisol causes increased risk of heart attack among many other unpleasant things. So there are two sides to every story. Finding the right balance is what I find so difficult.

Amitriptyline also could cause weight gain as that is a common side effect of most antidepressants, although oddly taking most antidepressants can lead to weight loss as well. Go figure. If a person is taking any type of antidepressant I believe the side effects would be directly dose related(unless you are allergic, then who knows). For that reason small doses are less likely to cause noticeable side effects.

I'm not a doctor, I have however done a lot of research and have spoken with my doctor, who tends to agree with this rationale. I hope this helps.

Last edited by cmack; 08-16-2017 at 08:11 PM. Reason: clarity

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » The Amitriptyline Club Support Group