Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP Support Group

03-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #31
Alberta_sweetie

My Support Groups:
Anyone else have extreme nausea and vomiting on imuran? I didn't until I got up to my full dose and now I spend the first half my day being nauseous and puking.
03-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #32
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
My daughter got nausea and vomiting when she first started imuran.
Our GP gave her anti nausea tablets that helped...Finally a month later she doesn't need the nausea tablets..things have finally settled down.

Currently on:
40mg Humira
125mg Imuran

Dx Premature Ovarian Failure 2014

03-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #33
CeeCeeGo
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Anyone else have extreme nausea and vomiting on imuran? I didn't until I got up to my full dose and now I spend the first half my day being nauseous and puking.
As Upsetmom said it can be one of the side effects especially when you increase the dose.

However, if it continues more than a couple of days you should mention it to your doctor. With Easter coming up, it may be worth a quick call to your doctor tomorrow just to get their view in advance of the holiday period.

Maybe try splitting your dose - half in the morning and half in the evening.
Take it with or after food.
Ginger tea or biscuits can help with nausea.
Also your doctor may be able to give you some anti-nausea drugs.

Hope you feel better soon. 😎

DX - June 2012 with mild/moderate Crohns. In July 2012 bowel perforated unexpectedly and needed emergency surgery.
Current meds/supplements - Budesonide (reducing dose over 3 months), B12 injections (every 10 wks), Vit D tabs 800iu x daily, Ferrous Sulphate 200mg every day, Folic Acid once a week
Previous meds - Allergic to Azathioprine, 6MP, Pentasa & Asacol, Methotrexate injections (didn't work). Stopped Humira after 2 years due to ineffectiveness.
03-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #34
Catherine

My Support Groups:
Good advice above, please make call today. Hard enough to contact anyone on the weekend let alone on a holiday weekend.
Small bowel to small bowel fistula

Meds: ), azathioprine 200mg, Mesalazine 1.2g x 2, seretide 250 x 2 (asthma), ventolin (as needed)

Currently no supplements.

Has previously taken Multi B, Caltrate, B12 & Iron

Prednisolone (from 30 mg 01/02/2012 to 17/06/2012, 30mg 24/10/12-28/12/12, 50mg 24/1/13-27/4/13)
03-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #35
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Absolutely let your doctor know. Nausea seems to be a pretty common symptom from what I hear from folks on here when their dosage is increased to the full amount as your body is readjusting to the medication. Some people wind up having to take Zofran temporarily to help with the nausea until things settle down again.

Hope you start to feel better soon!

Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

03-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #36
Alberta_sweetie

My Support Groups:
I called and she told me to back off by a tablet and take it at night with supper so that I will hopefully sleep through the worst of it and call back in a week. But she also suspects that I am flaring again and sent me for blood work and stool samples. If I am flaring again and while still on prednisone then she says I will have to move to remicade.
03-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #37
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
I hope it is just a med side effect with an easy adjustment fix. <<<Hugs>>>
Osteoporosis, Scoliosis, EDS, Asthma, Lymphedema, Epilepsy, Hla B-27 positive, gluten intolerant, thrombophlebitis, c.diff, depression, anxiety postural tachycardia/POTS and multiple food allergies.
03-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #38
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
I'm just signing in to this support group. I've been on Imuran for (I think) about 7 years. Still having blood tests every quarter and so far (fingers crossed) I've not been aware of any side effects and my health has improved considerably. My dose was reduced about a year ago, but that was due to me losing weight (positive lifestyle changes, not a result of crohns).

I'm interested in the long term aspects of this drug. I don't really want to be on it, but it's easy to say that when you're feeling OK. My consultant advises that I stay on it for the foreseeable future.

Another aspect of it is reaction to sunlight. Basically I always cover up when I go out, I wear long sleeves, a hat, and usually some moisturiser with a high SPF factor (even in winter). I had two skin cancers removed from my face a few months ago... but I do tend to think this is more to do with my sun exposure 30-40 years ago than a side effect of the drug. I haven't discussed this with the consultant yet, but I'll be seeing him in a few weeks. The dermatologists I have seen (and I did see rather a lot) said there was no connection.

The skin cancers were basal cell carcinomas... if you're going to have any at all, they're the ones to have, but having them excised is a bit dreary (but on the positive side... no prep)
03-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #39
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

I've been on 100mg Aza for 2 weeks now, no side effects so far. Somehow my condition has improved, but it can't be the aza since I was told it takes three months to have any effect. So it's either a coincidence, or placebo, but regardless, I haven't had well formed stools in over a year (yes, I've been flaring for over 365 days) and this morning it was definitely formed.

Never in my life did I ever think I would be happy about a BM.
03-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #40
rollinstone

I stopped bleeding literally the day after I started Aza, coincidence? Maybe it just works faster for some people, my GP reckons he noticed its benefits much sooner than the 3 month mark
03-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #41
kh216
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm doing well on 6mp. My dosage was lowered due to my low white blood count. My dosage alternates; one day it's 75 mp and the next day it's 50 mp. I had one "IBS" episode the end of February and one in the second week of March. I seem to be doing okay now.
03-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #42
rollinstone

Just a question - how many of you watch your diet?
03-31-2013, 05:09 AM   #43
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
I do.

It's been a bit of a gradual thing over the last few years, but I've been paying more attention to the things that make me unwell. I tend to have treats in moderation and eat far more healthily. I was a bit overweight, but I lost about 30lbs and kept it off for 2-3 years now. Feeling much better for it.

My rule is, I just eat whatever I want to eat... but I've changed my views on what I want to eat.
03-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #44
Alberta_sweetie

My Support Groups:
I do, I'm still trying to figure out what is safe for me to eat and what isn't.
03-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #45
Alberta_sweetie

My Support Groups:
I've been on 100mg Aza for 2 weeks now, no side effects so far. Somehow my condition has improved, but it can't be the aza since I was told it takes three months to have any effect. So it's either a coincidence, or placebo, but regardless, I haven't had well formed stools in over a year (yes, I've been flaring for over 365 days) and this morning it was definitely formed.

Never in my life did I ever think I would be happy about a BM.
I definitely know that feeling, I haven't had a well formed stool in 3 years now. I was only recently diagnosed and started treatment in recent months. I think part of the feeling better so soon after starting treatment is partly psychological because you're finally getting treatment and progress is being made. At least that's what I think happened with me.
03-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #46
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I watch it a bit - try to stay away from the high fibre foods due to narrowing and have been off nuts for a year.

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
03-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #47
buttons

My Support Groups:
I've been taking 6-mp since 2005, I think. It worked miracles for me. A bit of a flareup once in a while but I would say I have been in remission since. Or was. I am starting to flare up--really horribly. Is it possible a drug can just stop working?

Also, has anyone else had problems with the generic kind? I received that years ago when the pharmacy ran out and it made me so sick--like vomitting. But my question really is about the possibility of 6pm not working anymore.
03-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #48
kh216
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This is in reply to buttons post. I am glad that you had great success with 6mp but yes, it is possible for any Crohns drug to stop working. Try to call your GI doctor tomorrow about this if you can. Your doctor might increase your 6mp dosage or temporarily prescribe you a small course of Entocort or Prednisone. Hopefully, this will do the trick. If not, then your GI might want to think about prescribing one of the biologic meds - Remicade, Humira or Cimzia. In the meantime, you might want to help yourself, by getting more rest and sticking to either a bland diet or if you're flaring badly, a clear liquid diet. You might also want to take note if certain foods, supplements, or medications disagree with you or bring on flares.
03-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #49
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Also, has anyone else had problems with the generic kind? I received that years ago when the pharmacy ran out and it made me so sick--like vomitting. But my question really is about the possibility of 6pm not working anymore.
I've had it provided by a couple of different manufacturers and have not noticed a difference with either effectiveness or side effects.
03-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #50
Lottie93

My Support Groups:
Hello,
I have been taking Azo for my Crohns for around 2 months now. I was initially put on the 50 for a month but i have now been on 150 for 4 weeks.
Until now I have had no side effects from the Azo other than a bit of hair thinning and the occasional nausea(but I can't be sure that is due to the Azo as I got that before I was on it) . And blood tests show i an responding very well to it!

However over the past 4 days I have been having all day dizzy spells.
I feel very hazy most of the day and around every 10 min get hit by a brief wave a dizziness which is accompanied by tingling in my lips and tounge. It doesnt matter if i am standing or sitting down. The dizzy spells start as soon as I wake up and I still have them when I go to bed.
It has been going on for 4 days now and as it's been the Easter long weekend I have not been able to see my doctor.

I just wanted to see if this was a side effect experienced by anyone else on Azo? As its a symptom I have never experience before.

Thank you
Charlotte
04-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #51
kh216
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Have you had any recent bloodwork done? Dizzyness is not usually associated with aza but I am wondering if either your red or white blood count levels are too low. Please call your doctor as soon as you can.
04-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #52
Lottie93

My Support Groups:
No, not very recently! I am due my next blood test next week. All the previous ones have been fine. I will see my doctor tomorrow. Azo has so many potential side effects I thought it may just be a side effect!

Thanks
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #53
Lilyworm

My Support Groups:
Hi all, I just jopined this group. I have crohn's and behcets, and my teenage daughter has crohn's. My daughter and I are both now on azathioprine, after she developed pneumonia, aseptic meningitis and head hair loss from humira. I stopped taking humira so I could participate in a clinical trial of helminthic therapy in Portland, Oregon. My question for you today is whether my daughter's arm and leg hair loss is due to AZA or a delayed reaction to humira, which she has been off for about 1 month. No real benefit yet from the AZA for her, but I hear it takes a while. She is starting to feel that her life got worse when she started taking meds. Any thoughts?
04-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #54
rollinstone

Hi lily, Aza can cause hair loss from what iv heard but there could be a correlation between hair loss and the disease itself/ not absorbing nutrients and becoming deficient in some vitamins - which can also be attributed to hair loss, most medical literature surrounding Aza says it takes atleast 3 months to reach beneficial levels, I think it took less for
Me as I'm on the 2 month mark and am starting to feel
Much better, a few weeks ago I was very depressed and felt nauseated from upping the dose but since then my body has gotten used to the meds more and more and I assume I'll feel much better in another month. Hang in there, and plz tell your daughter things do indeed get better it just takes time, nothing's ever am overnight fix. How is the tso therapy going?
04-05-2013, 01:22 AM   #55
Lilyworm

My Support Groups:
Hi Joshuaa. I will start tso trial in may , and probably won't start tso or control till June, but I'll keep you posted! Thanks for the wisdom and support.
04-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #56
rollinstone

Thanks Lilly, hope its very successful and puts you and many more people into remission
04-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #57
Alberta_sweetie

My Support Groups:
So my GI called Wednesday morning and ordered me to stop imuran and come in yesterday morning first thing. Apparently my liver enzymes were elevated so now she has changed me to 6-mp. Of course when I tried to get my prescription filled the pharmacy didn't have any and I have to wait until today. The GI also started the paper work for extra insurance for remicade as she doesn't have high hopes for me tolerating the 6-mp.
04-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #58
CeeCeeGo
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hello albertasweetie
Apparently a lot of people who can't tolerate Aza are OK with 6MP - there are many examples on this forum.
I will hopefully be starting 6MP soon as my liver reacted to Aza.
Good luck and I hope it works for you.
04-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #59
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

It's strange that people who cannot tolerate Aza (which is metabolized as 6MP in the body) will do well on 6MP itself.I'm curious to know more about the biochemistry of that. Probably an enzymatic problem related to the conversion process.

I hope you feel better, fellow canuck
04-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #60
rollinstone

Yea I'm gonna ask my doc about it, hoping the change will get rid of the nausea

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP Support Group