Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP Support Group

04-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #61
Alberta_sweetie

My Support Groups:
My pharmacist says that the people that can't handle the aza but can handle 6-mp are reacting to the carrier agents in the aza. If you can't handle either then it's the drug itself.
04-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #62
CeeCeeGo
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That's interesting. Those carrier agents must really be something as a lot of people on here have been OK with 6MP but not Imuran/Aza.

Joshuaa - are you switching to 6MP?

DX - June 2012 with mild/moderate Crohns. In July 2012 bowel perforated unexpectedly and needed emergency surgery.
Current meds/supplements - Budesonide (reducing dose over 3 months), B12 injections (every 10 wks), Vit D tabs 800iu x daily, Ferrous Sulphate 200mg every day, Folic Acid once a week
Previous meds - Allergic to Azathioprine, 6MP, Pentasa & Asacol, Methotrexate injections (didn't work). Stopped Humira after 2 years due to ineffectiveness.
04-07-2013, 04:17 AM   #63
rollinstone

I'm gonna ask my GP tomorrow, I think I might, we'll see what his opinion is on the matter
04-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #64
CeeCeeGo
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Joshuaa
Please let us know what your GP thinks.
04-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #65
alex_chris

I have been on Aza from 2003 to late 2008 and then from 2010 onwards til today again. Never tried MP-6 and never experienced any noticeable side-effects from Aza. I was concerned with the long-term effects of Aza, so I phased it out in 2008, but that didn't bode well with my Crohn's.

Regular blood tests haven't shown any detrimental liver effects or other problems.

I am in remission for about a year now and it's definitely the longest remission phase since before I was diagnosed in 1999 with the least problems.

Never tried remicade and don't want to due to potential side effects. From 1999 to 2003 I used Pentasa only and that didn't do anything (I had a lousy doctor the first few years of my Crohn's and was a bit too naive and stubborn to do my research myself...).
04-07-2013, 04:54 AM   #66
rollinstone

Glad you're doing well now bud, I think the Aza has got my crohns in remission but I'm just dealing with nausea and a general feeling of unwellness.
04-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #67
alex_chris

Glad you're doing well now bud, I think the Aza has got my crohns in remission but I'm just dealing with nausea and a general feeling of unwellness.
I probably say that too often, but try sport. Specifically, try long-distance running (more than 5 miles per run).

For many years I thought tiredness, nausea and periodic problems even with Aza just is the norm for Crohn's. Well, it isn't. Things can get better.
04-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #68
Alberta_sweetie

My Support Groups:
I currently take pentasa and 6-mp. Hopefully the 6-mp will work with little side effects and I will actually go into remission, as I am starting to run out of options.

It's weird, but totally makes sense, how much difference there is from how different people react to the same drug. I for one seem to get all the side effects of the drugs, but other people don't notice any.
04-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #69
CeeCeeGo
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I agree with you albertasweetie.

Like you I seem to get all the side effects. I was allergic to Pentasa and Asacol and now Aza.

Hopefully I'll find a drug that works soon. 😋
04-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #70
lizzy16
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi there, I started on Imuran/Aza in May last year after failing Asacol, my current dose is 150mg. Been trying to come off Prednisone since that time, it's been a pattern of me getting off Pred for about a month (during which I've been declared in "clinical remission" by previous GIs), but then having a recurrence of symptoms once the steroids are fully out of my system. The flares haven't been as severe as before I started Aza, but it just isn't enough on its own to keep the inflammation away.

I've recently started on Humira and I've come off Prednisone as of last Wednesday, hoping that I can stay off the steroids for good now! I'm still taking 150mg of Aza, the plan is to eventually take this dosage down to a minimum maintenance dose in combination with Humira to give me some stability. Hope it works.

I've never had side effects from Aza, and get my bloods done regularly. I've had a number of unpleasant side effects from steroid use that go away when I'm off them (eg. insomnia, altered mood, moon face).

Diagnosed with Crohn's colitis October 2011
150mg Imuran
Started Humira 40mg 26/03/13
Vit D Supplement

"There's nothing you can do that can't be done."
04-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #71
kh216
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Many people have had good results with Humira. I hope that you will continue to do well and not have to go back on Prednisone ever again.
04-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #72
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
IBD seems to never live on a paved highway
Osteoporosis, Scoliosis, EDS, Asthma, Lymphedema, Epilepsy, Hla B-27 positive, gluten intolerant, thrombophlebitis, c.diff, depression, anxiety postural tachycardia/POTS and multiple food allergies.
04-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #73
grandmajese

My Support Groups:
Hello, I was just diagnosed a month ago but I've probably had it for 22 years. my doc wants me to take Imuran 50mg 3 times a day. I'm scared. The cure sounds worse than the disease. Ok, so I've had rectal bleeding and intestinal pain for years, my joints and muscles hurt all the time and I can't sleep. But I don't have cancer! What a messed up choice to have to make.
04-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #74
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You have found a good community here for support. Are there any other medications your doctor has placed you on?

I also bleed along with the intestinal pains. I just started 6MP in February and was also scared but I have warmed up to the idea of being on the medication a bit more.

The medications doctors place us on can be very scary and may require some lifestyle adjustments but at the end of the day I try to remind myself that the benefits outweigh the risks and the most important thing for me right now is to get into remission sooner rather than later and avoid further complication.

And with regards to Imuran/Aza/6MP - when you read the standard labels and info online, remind yourself that these medications are typically given at much larger doses for other situations such as organ transplant patients, leukemia patients and the like. IBD patients are given significantly lower dosages of this medication and consequently, while we are not out of the danger area in the long run, our risks of complications from these meds have the potential to be reduced compared to other patients who have to take them at much higher doses.

You will also be given regular blood tests to make sure you are accepting the medication properly and that there are no liver or pancreas issues developing.

Below is some additional info on Imuran in case you were interested.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Imuran

Hello, I was just diagnosed a month ago but I've probably had it for 22 years. my doc wants me to take Imuran 50mg 3 times a day. I'm scared. The cure sounds worse than the disease. Ok, so I've had rectal bleeding and intestinal pain for years, my joints and muscles hurt all the time and I can't sleep. But I don't have cancer! What a messed up choice to have to make.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

04-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #75
alex_chris

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Re imuran, yes it increases the chance of cancer, but let's compare that to people who smoke just as an example. Smoking increases the chances of cancer tens if not hundreds of times more than imuran... And still people smoke, voluntarily! Imuran has an indirect benefit by the way, because you need to do a complete blood test every 8 weeks and talk to your doctor regularly, it is more likely that cancer or many other diseases are detected very early on.
04-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #76
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
My daughter got her first blood tests after starting 6MP. Does anyone know what her white count is supposed to be while on this med? I know it is meant to lower her white count, right? How low is good? How low is too low?
04-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #77
alex_chris

My daughter got her first blood tests after starting 6MP. Does anyone know what her white count is supposed to be while on this med? I know it is meant to lower her white count, right? How low is good? How low is too low?
The normal adult and teenager range is about 4 to 11 thousand white blood cells per cubic millimeter. I had several GIs due to moving to different countries in the past years, but the consensus of all of them was that the ideal is as close to 4 (lower range boundary) as possible and falling a bit below is no problem. It start to be a problem if you are consistently in the 3 range and it is getting lower, then the dosage should be adjusted.
04-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #78
rollinstone

Hey guys, so my GI has given me a prescription for 6mp, just wondering though, do you guys who are on it split doses? I.e 50mg in morn and 50mg at night? That's what the chemist suggested, though the chemist said have if on an empty stomach 30 mins before food, which is contrary to what it says on the imuran box which says to take it w or soon after food... Just thought it was weird because they're basically the same drug :s
04-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #79
alex_chris

Hey guys, so my GI has given me a prescription for 6mp, just wondering though, do you guys who are on it split doses? I.e 50mg in morn and 50mg at night? That's what the chemist suggested, though the chemist said have if on an empty stomach 30 mins before food, which is contrary to what it says on the imuran box which says to take it w or soon after food... Just thought it was weird because they're basically the same drug :s
I can't specifically tell you about 6mp (although I think it's similar to aza), but I split my doses (2x50mg in the morning; 1x50mg in the evening). Whether with or without food actually doesn't really matter. We are talking about a long-term immunosuppressive drug here, not iron supplements or some other drug that conflicts with food.

I normally get up, have my breakfast, then after brushing my teeth and shaving I take my morning drugs (aza, iron, multivitamin+zinc+magnesium, vit D3) and in the evening I take it after brushing my teeth again (aza, iron). That way I don't forget about taking my pills...
04-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #80
CeeCeeGo
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Josh

My doc said to split it half in the morning and half in the evening as this may help with the nausea (in his view). When I eventually get it (don't ask!) I will be taking it in the morning with breaking and in the evening with dinner.

I found that when I took the Aza in the evening after my dinner it seemed to lessen my nausea.
04-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #81
grandmajese

My Support Groups:
I'm not on the imuran yet, I'm stalling. At my last check up the doc found a lump in my breast so I'm having a mammogram first. I was actually grateful for at excuse to put it off. sick, I know. the side effects scare me. I notice every little scrape or tinny wound. There was a guy on the bus today that was coughing and when he didn't cover his mouth I got mad. If I let the doc put me on an immune suppressor I'm going to be afraid to leave my house! I'll be afraid of everything, especially cancer. Am I being paranoid? is it safe? I've been misdiagnosed so many times, AND given meds that you CAN"T take together! Good thing my pharmacist is on the ball or I might not even be here. I'm scared. Which is worse, crohns or imuran?
04-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #82
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
GM - definitely Crohn's is worse, in my opinion. I know it is scary, but if you read the side effect profile of most meds, even Tylenol, you 'll find it to be scary. At least this one will be monitored closely by your doc, as will potential risks such as colon cancer, which is at increased risk for Crohnies anyway. I'll encourage you in this: my daughter has been taking 6MP for 2 weeks without any side effects that she can feel. Her WBCs are low but not too low, and somehow she hasn't been sick yet - although she was getting sick every 2 weeks before starting the med... I am hoping it is God's extra grace for her
04-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #83
kh216
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Joshuaa - I take my full dosage in the morning and with food. I see no harm in splitting the dosage to twice a day but I would definitely take it with food to avoid nausea.

GM - I have been on Imuran before and I didn't have side effects and felt that it helped me. However, I think it would be wise to get your lump evaluated first. I hope it turns out to be something benign, like a cyst.
04-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #84
rollinstone

Joshuaa - I take my full dosage in the morning and with food. I see no harm in splitting the dosage to twice a day but I would definitely take it with food to avoid nausea.

GM - I have been on Imuran before and I didn't have side effects and felt that it helped me. However, I think it would be wise to get your lump evaluated first. I hope it turns out to be something benign, like a cyst.
Thx kh, it's just weird, the imuran box says a food, but the 6mp says at least 30 mins before food or 2 hours after :s are you on 6mp or imuran?
04-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #85
Alberta_sweetie

My Support Groups:
Thx kh, it's just weird, the imuran box says a food, but the 6mp says at least 30 mins before food or 2 hours after :s are you on 6mp or imuran?
My pharmacist told me to take my 6- mp with food to try to avoid any of the stomach related side effects. That it wouldn't effect the drug at all.
04-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #86
rollinstone

Thx for that, yea it makes more sense to have it with food, dunno why it says otherwise on the pamphlet, the pharmacists also said to have it before food, I doubt it'd have much difference, should still absorb fine
04-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #87
CeeCeeGo
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have just rec'd my 6MP and was told to take it at least 60 mins AFTER food and to avoid milk 2 hours either side of taking it. Also I have been told to split my dose - half in the morning and half in the evening.

Bang goes my morning cuppa then!
04-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #88
bigtruck

I was on azathioprine for 10 years with no side effects and a acceptable quality of life most of that time, however after a bad flare sepsis and a subsequent colostomy I was re started on the azathioprine but couldn't tolerate it at all, my doc switched me to 6mp which caused a bit of nausead for the first few weeks but then subsided, I've been on the 6mp for just over 3 months now and things seem to be improving and inflammatory markers staying low.
04-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #89
Alberta_sweetie

My Support Groups:
The only warnings I was given was to keep drinking to a minimum and drink lots of water.
04-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #90
seebee

My Support Groups:
I never received any warnings or labels on my azathioprine or 6mp about food or drink. The was a warning, however, that said that pregnant women shouldn't handle the medication.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP Support Group