Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses Support Group

02-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #1681
kelly1

My Support Groups:
Hi Cmack

Thankyou for your support. The pain is still pretty intense, I have the bleeding everytime I open my bowels, will keep and eye on it and will call my surgeon Monday if still the same. I know 20 its crazy I never thought I would have this mant but these fistulas can be stubborn.

Kelly xx
02-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #1682
cmack

My Support Groups:
kelly1,

They sure can be. Hope you improve.

cmack
02-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #1683
ramorrison

My Support Groups:
Dear ramorrison,

I have had that happen before too and I never did figure out why. My surgeon didn't seem surprised either, but had no real explanation.Nothing much ever did come of it. Maybe to be on the safe side, talk to the doc and see what it could be that happened. Let me know how it plays out I'm still curious about it myself.

wishing you luck,

cmack
Talked to my GI doc, he's recommend switching to remicade. Not sure if its just the bleeding every time i go to bathroom, or a mixture of blood results also. Also he mentioned doing a diversion ileostomy if remade doesn't help fistula. Hopefully remade works
02-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #1684
cmack

My Support Groups:
I hope so too.
02-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #1685
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Talked to my GI doc, he's recommend switching to remicade. Not sure if its just the bleeding every time i go to bathroom, or a mixture of blood results also. Also he mentioned doing a diversion ileostomy if remade doesn't help fistula. Hopefully remade works
I hope also that Remicade works for you. Keep us updated.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
02-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #1686
Wtf

My Support Groups:
Good day,
I had the fistula plug surgery on 2nd of February for a high fistula. My hope was to find information on the internet of details refarding success or failure of the plug surgery with timelines so as to serve as a guide for mine. Unfortunately, there is little information. I'll try and provide my ongoing developments in the event it could aid others and hope I can solicit responses from those who have had this surgery before either as a success or failure.

I started with an abscess that created a high fistula in december 2015. In May I had a seton placed with goal of having a surgery after 90 days or so. I developed an abscess in my groin area which turned out to be another high fistula the day prior to scheduled surgery. The surgery was changed to a seton for the 2nd fistula. The setons continually drained but allowed me to have a decent life, save the constant drainage and chafing.

The 1st fistula eventually stopped draining around september and then both setons broke and fell out within a week of eachother around october. The first fistula closed and so far has remained healed. The second continued to stay open and drain. Crs was resistant to do anything, but agreed for plug surgery, which I had on 2feb.

I did a bowel prep prior to surgery to enable the internal site to rest without having a bowel movement so quickly after surgery. So far been trying to rest as much as possible and eat somewhat healthy. If I had the will power I would have continued a liquid diet a few days after. No bowel movement yet, a little scared on that front. There is about a centimeter of the plug that sticks out of the external opening of the fistula and that area has continued to drain lightly the last 3 days.

There is definately more pain then the setons which ive been switching between tylenol and narcs for.

Will update soon and hope to hear from others who have gone through the plug surgery

Good luck all,
Wtf
02-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #1687
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good day,
I had the fistula plug surgery on 2nd of February for a high fistula. My hope was to find information on the internet of details refarding success or failure of the plug surgery with timelines so as to serve as a guide for mine. Unfortunately, there is little information. I'll try and provide my ongoing developments in the event it could aid others and hope I can solicit responses from those who have had this surgery before either as a success or failure.

I started with an abscess that created a high fistula in december 2015. In May I had a seton placed with goal of having a surgery after 90 days or so. I developed an abscess in my groin area which turned out to be another high fistula the day prior to scheduled surgery. The surgery was changed to a seton for the 2nd fistula. The setons continually drained but allowed me to have a decent life, save the constant drainage and chafing.

The 1st fistula eventually stopped draining around september and then both setons broke and fell out within a week of eachother around october. The first fistula closed and so far has remained healed. The second continued to stay open and drain. Crs was resistant to do anything, but agreed for plug surgery, which I had on 2feb.

I did a bowel prep prior to surgery to enable the internal site to rest without having a bowel movement so quickly after surgery. So far been trying to rest as much as possible and eat somewhat healthy. If I had the will power I would have continued a liquid diet a few days after. No bowel movement yet, a little scared on that front. There is about a centimeter of the plug that sticks out of the external opening of the fistula and that area has continued to drain lightly the last 3 days.

There is definately more pain then the setons which ive been switching between tylenol and narcs for.

Will update soon and hope to hear from others who have gone through the plug surgery

Good luck all,
Wtf
I wish you the best. You might check out the Surgery section also

02-05-2017, 06:29 PM   #1688
cmack

My Support Groups:
Wtf,

Thank you for contributing. I hope the procedure is successful. Positive thinking goes a long way.

I feel for you and hope for your speedy recovery,

cmack
02-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #1689
cmack

My Support Groups:
bethb,

Talk to me on here if you see this. Your pm's are full and I can't seem to get through to you. I would like to help your husband out with his questions.

cmack
02-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #1690
cmack

My Support Groups:
Does anybody know how to get hold of bethb ?

She pm'd me and I can't get through to help.
02-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #1691
cmack

My Support Groups:
bethb If you are reading this you need to clear out your pm inbox. I cannot send you any messages because it's full.

cmack
02-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #1692
Wtf

My Support Groups:
Still going strong after plug surg 5 days ago. Pain has mostly gone. Still lots of drainage which has strong odor. Lots of sitz baths, taking it easy, and, trying to eat healthy.

Any post plug stories of success or failure with details and timelines would be appreciated
02-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #1693
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Still going strong after plug surg 5 days ago. Pain has mostly gone. Still lots of drainage which has strong odor. Lots of sitz baths, taking it easy, and, trying to eat healthy.

Any post plug stories of success or failure with details and timelines would be appreciated
Glad you are improving

02-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #1694
cmack

My Support Groups:
Wtf,

You are doing the right things in my opinion. Sitz bath's are annoying, yet they feel good and help a lot. Keep them up it is the most important thing you can do. Keep you rear end clean like a New Corvette! The warm water brings blood to the surface too and speeds up recovery.

Wishing you all the best,

cmack
02-15-2017, 09:20 PM   #1695
Harper05

Hi everyone I had a sphincterotomy 7 weeks ago. I plan on training for a half marathon in a few weeks, does anyone know if running causes more stress to that area? I'm still
Sore.. I don't want to do anything that will cause damage!
02-15-2017, 09:35 PM   #1696
cmack

My Support Groups:
Harper,

Sorry to say. It may cause some pain if you run that far. I had trouble walking after mine. Maybe try short distances and see how you feel, then increase the distance slowly if everything is OK. Hope you make the top ten.

"If it hurts don't do it, if it feels good then do it often." -unknown

cmack
02-22-2017, 09:39 PM   #1697
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I agree with cmack. Give it a go but listen to your body. Seven weeks is not that long post surgery. Here is a support group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=47978 that may help. We want to be active when we can,it does help.
02-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #1698
GABoy

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if others have ever had problems with drainage if the outside portion of the fistula tract is closed? I had mucosal advancement flap. The outside closed soon after surgery and I was discharged. I recently had some swelling, which led to an MR Enterography that showed the tract did not close. My assumption is that it is still opened in the rectum, but there is no place for it to drain. I went on abx, and pain/swelling went away.

A couple days ago, I had a large amount of drainage. I saw GI and surgeon yesterday and am going for EUA on Tues next week. Surgeon says that the tract did not open on the outside. I guess my question is does puss, etc. build in the tract and when it can't escape, come back through the rectum and out of the anus. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks in advance.

Surgeries:
Abscess Drainage 10/2013
Seton Placement 11/2013
Abscess Drainage + Seton Placement 4/22/2015
Abscess Drainage 10/28/2015
Seton placement 2/11/2016
Abscess Drainage 2/26/2016
Mucosal Advancement Flap 8/12/2016

Prior Medications:
Cipro, Flagyl, Prednisone, Humira, Entyvio

Current Medications:
Remicaid 6MP and Allopurinol
02-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #1699
kelly1

My Support Groups:
Hi gaboy

I had my flap perocedure in January. I healed over very quickly on the outside. There was a tiny hole that was seeping drainage. I went in last Tuesday to hospital as I was in alot of pain. I had an infection and was taken to theatre and they done an EUA and I had a collection that had built up in the tract and it was also leaking from the anus. .I now have a seton back in and see my surgeon next week.

kelly x
02-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #1700
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if others have ever had problems with drainage if the outside portion of the fistula tract is closed? I had mucosal advancement flap. The outside closed soon after surgery and I was discharged. I recently had some swelling, which led to an MR Enterography that showed the tract did not close. My assumption is that it is still opened in the rectum, but there is no place for it to drain. I went on abx, and pain/swelling went away.

A couple days ago, I had a large amount of drainage. I saw GI and surgeon yesterday and am going for EUA on Tues next week. Surgeon says that the tract did not open on the outside. I guess my question is does puss, etc. build in the tract and when it can't escape, come back through the rectum and out of the anus. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks in advance.
Yes this can happen. It happened to me. If it is leaking out it isn't likely an abscess so that is good. It needs to be looked at for sure. If it hurts or feels like pressure is building before your appointment on Tuesday go to the ER. I hope things improve.

cmack
03-06-2017, 01:17 PM   #1701
jcashen87

My Support Groups:
So I have had what I think is a hemorrhoid. It's a bump maybe close to the size of a dime, its external. Mostly but right on the cusp of my anus. I went to Reno(much higher altitude I live below sea level, really lol) a couple weeks before my surgery and this hemorrhoid popped. It leaks out yellow and greenish pus several times a day still. I just got out of the hospital from having a partial colectomy I should have had them check it up then. I'm wondering if maybe this is a little abscess. I have had internal hemorrhoid show up on my scopes closer to the anus before but I developed this little thing after tapping off prednisone.

Can hemorrhoids do this? Is is sounding like an abscess?

I emailed my GI AND HE said since I haven't been able to do bathtub soaks until now post surgery I should try that and come in if the drainage continues. In total since getting off prednisone it's been a month and three weeks dealing with this thing since popping. It has light blood and clear liquid after a BM. During the day still has plenty of greenish yellowish viscous pus coming out. I have to use the restroom just to wipe up several times a day. I was told active disease was gone after surgery. Waiting to hear back from my surgeon he's out for a day on if he looked down my colon too and didn't see fistula etc.
03-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #1702
cmack

My Support Groups:
jcashen,

It sounds like an abscess that has burst. If it was a hemi it would have been blood not what you described. I would get it looked at by a doctor as soon as possible. These things can turn ugly in a hurry. Let me know how you are making out.

Talk to me any time. I have had problems like this before.

cmack
03-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #1703
jcashen87

My Support Groups:
Thanks cmack I just had 40% of my colon removed and was told all active disease is gone unfortunately I think this slipped under the radar as I was told probably hemi in a email. The pain has also been gone since bursting. I know it's gotta be different for everyone but an abscess usually comes before a fistula right? And how long could it take for a fistula to form from a burst abscess? Or in your experience at least. Thank you so much. Going to get it looked at asap.
03-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #1704
cmack

My Support Groups:
jcashen,

Yes, usually an abscess forces pus and nasty stuff out of it and that is when you can get a fistula. It tries to force the pressure which ever way it can until it comes out somewhere. That is called a fistulous tract if it makes it's way to the surface and pushes its way out, of either your skin or somewhere else inside of your body. You don't always get a fistula from an abscess that bursts, it hopefully came out close to where the abscess is. I think the doctor will end up having to do something to prevent the same abscess from getting worse. I hope it is only minor. The only real way to know is to be examined and have tests done. Time is of the essence.

Keep us updated,

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers,

cmack
03-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #1705
Harper05

So I'm just curious how long everyone takes to heal after surgery? I had a sphincterotomy plus hemmorhoids removed 8 weeks ago, and I'm still sore! I read different things online about how long it should take.. I mean could it be 7 months? My doc will say these things take time... but gosh it gets old.
03-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #1706
cmack

My Support Groups:
Harper,

It is such a tender spot with lots of nerves running though the area. There are also a lot of germs so the healing is slow, at least for me it was. I think it took me six months to a year for my sphincterotomy surgeries to feel good enough to be able to ride a bike. Everybody heals at a different rate so it is hard to say for sure. I'm not surprised that you still have some pain 8 weeks out. I feel for you bud.

I hope things keep getting better and you can get back to being pain free. If the pain increases for no good reason(running or exercise may rile it up a bit, that is normal) you should be examined by a doctor to make sure there are no complications going on.

I wish you all the very best, give me a shout any time,

Your teammate,

cmack
03-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #1707
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think it was two or three months after my resection.

03-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #1708
Harper05

Thanks for the response! I just want to know that I'ds normal to still be healing. And to be sore.. most days are ok, but there are some days I throb for awhile. It's like just when I think it's healing it hurts again. I think I'm just healing, I need the CRS in April again. If I tell him still sore he will prob say the same thing... it takes time...
I'm going to start running a bunch soon, honestly rubbing and walking make me feel better than sitting.
03-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #1709
cmack

My Support Groups:
Harper,

That is good to keep on moving. Best wishes.
03-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #1710
Harper05

so what kind of complications can there be? That's what makes me nervous.. I'm pretty sure the pain (throb) I feel is normal to healing.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses Support Group