Share Facebook

05-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #271
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Did another set of 4 and 1s tonight. Scan is tomorrow

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
05-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #272
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Did another set of 4 and 1s tonight. Scan is tomorrow
Good luck with your scan, hope all goes well.
05-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #273
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Out for another run tonight. Scan was uneventful - almost eventful although, the injected contrast made me nauseous
05-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #274
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Hi guys,
As someone who is serious about fitness, I'm glad to see there's a group for it! I have bad back problems so daily exercising is a must for me. Plus I enjoy it so much I hate to miss a day (my husband thinks I'm nuts!). I use my elliptical twice a day, 45 minutes each time. I used to be a runner but after my last back surgery my surgeon said that it was a no-no. I'm finding now that my two biggest challenges are 1) working out when my belly is very painful and 2) keeping my weight up during a flare when I can't seem to eat enough calories but need to work out.
05-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #275
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I do track daily workouts and calorie intake on myfitnesspal.com. It's very helpful, I certainly wouldn't have any idea how much I needed to eat to maintain the appropriate amount of calories without it!
05-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #276
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hi Mccindy, welcome to our little group. I work out every day too, I feel so much better when I do, and like you said I hate to miss a day.

Have you tried yoga on the bad-tummy days? I find I can do yoga pretty much anytime, even when I'm not feeling well. Oddly enough I can also lift weights just fine on bad tummy days (except for the abdominals machines of course). We're all different though so your results may vary.

Hawkeye, was it a CT or MRI that you had done? I had a terrible reaction to the injected contrast they gave me for my liver MRI, I got super dizzy and nearly passed out. They told me not many people have a bad reaction, but most of those who do react will tend to get nauseous/vomit - they also said it's difficult cleaning vomit out of the MRI machine. Yuck! Anyway, glad to hear it was (mostly) uneventful.
05-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #277
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Hi Cat! thanks for the welcome. I haven't tried yoga because I have a double-fusion in my lower back and bending and twisting can be painful. I could check into a modified version though. I have to lie on the floor to use weights because I have a lifting restriction too. so frustrating! I'm glad to find this group, to discuss issues with working out. Many of the people in my life don't work out and don't like to talk about it, other than to call me an exercise nut. My husband is very supportive, though. Happy to be a part of something big!
05-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #278
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Mccindy, does your husband work out with you? My hubby will come to the gym with me and lift weights, but I recently asked him if he wanted to join me on a bike ride, and he looked at me like I was crazy. So I work out every day, and he works out with me when he feels like it. And honestly that's fine, I like working out alone.

That sucks that you have so many restrictions on your workouts. I only have one real restriction, I cannot jog due to hip arthritis. It gets really painful after about 5 mins of jogging. I can do other forms of cardio though as long as they're low-impact. I can do the elliptical, the bike, and the arc trainer. So I don't feel too restricted, it's not too bad. My tummy usually responds well to any form of exercise fortunately, so that's very good.
05-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #279
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It's an observational study, but thought helpful in highlighting another benefit of exercise. Moderate exercise probably helps in preventing kidney stones from forming.

"Exercise cuts kidney stone risk in women, study shows"

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...ntcmp=HPBucket
05-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #280
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Cat- I'm working on him still. He will go for walks with me, or bike rides (when I feel up to them) but he's not very motivated. He does want to lose weight though, so he's trying to cut some foods with me kind of, but we definitely have to eat differently! Especially since I'm trying to eat enough of what I can tolerate to keep weight on and he wants to lose.
05-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #281
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Cat - it was a CT scan, they mentioned a metallic tastes as a possible side effect among some other ones but not nausea, although the technician mentioned that some people do get nauseous. The major side effect they are concerned with is anaphylaxis - they had a procedure for treating this taped to the cabinets in the room with the machine. They also make you stay in the waiting room for 10 minutes after the test just inc ase.
05-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #282
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Got out for a run this morning (2.6 k total) also got a set of the winter tires changed over on one of the cars
05-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #283
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Beautiful in YGK today. 115km on my bike, went to the market, took my dogs for a walk/swim and mowed the lawn. Have yet to get my winter tired changed on my car.. Need to do that this week, my summer tires/wheels are in my basement, that will be a workout in itself to bring them up.
05-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #284
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Can't wait to get my bike here (we moved from Wisconsin to Minnesota last winter) and go for a ride! It's finally getting nice here. I've really been enjoying my elliptical workouts - have to skip this afternoon though. Steamed for lunch and I'm paying for it.
05-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #285
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Another beautiful day! 20km run, stained my deck, walked my dogs, rode my fixie to the gym, did weights, groaned when am had to ride my fixie back (big hill that separates my house from the base gym), now to relax!
05-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #286
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Alli, it sounds like you had a superstar weekend! May I ask -what is a fixie?
05-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #287
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Mccindy, do you mind if I ask, where in WI did you live? I'm originally from Oshkosh and have lived in Madison for about 11 years now.

Alli, I'm also wondering what a fixie is - is it a fixer-upper bike? Based on the context I'm guessing some type of bike anyway. I've found a really easy route for riding my bike to the gym, but I'm not sure if I have enough stamina yet to ride to the gym, lift weights, then ride home. (No big hills on my route like what you described though.) Are you totally exhausted after doing something like that? It's about 4 or 5 miles each way from my house to the gym so it'd be 8 to 10 miles riding, plus lifting - I just don't know if I'm capable of that quite yet.
05-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #288
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Cat- when I was younger I lived in both Neillsville and Marshfield. In middle school I moved to Eau Claire and that's where I met my husband, in high school. We bought a house near Rock Falls, which is a little dot of a town 15 miles southwest of Eau Claire, where we both worked. Our sons went to Durand. I have some friends in Madtown and family in Milwaukee as well.
05-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #289
Artisan105
Yondaime

My Support Groups:
Guys and Gals...

Keep up the good work in keeping yourself fit. Not just to look good physically but to maintain a healthy GI tract. Let the intestines move efficiently with some exercise. :] Praying for you all.

Current Meds:
(Remission)
-Asacol 400mg 2/day.
-Remicade 500mg 8weeks(IV).

My Crohn's Story:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost....29&postcount=1

My Suggestions:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost....43&postcount=2

My Music List:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost....72&postcount=1
05-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #290
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm originally from Oshkosh .
Is that where they build the cool trucks?
05-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #291
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Mccindy, do you mind if I ask, where in WI did you live? I'm originally from Oshkosh and have lived in Madison for about 11 years now.

Alli, I'm also wondering what a fixie is - is it a fixer-upper bike? Based on the context I'm guessing some type of bike anyway. I've found a really easy route for riding my bike to the gym, but I'm not sure if I have enough stamina yet to ride to the gym, lift weights, then ride home. (No big hills on my route like what you described though.) Are you totally exhausted after doing something like that? It's about 4 or 5 miles each way from my house to the gym so it'd be 8 to 10 miles riding, plus lifting - I just don't know if I'm capable of that quite yet.
Cat, a fixie is a fixed gear bicycle, I.e. one gear. I use it to commute to work since I'm only a few Km's away. It's awesome fun, though it's steel, so not as forgiving as my carbon fiber road bike. The base gym is 2.5km from my house, so it's not tiring to ride there, but my legs were sluggish from the run, so the uphill ride home sucked.
05-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #292
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hawkeye, yes indeed, that is where they make the trucks! People were lining up there for jobs, that was one of the only places that was hiring a lot of people even during the recession. I think I heard they just laid off a lot of people though.

Alli, it must be quite difficult to ride uphill with only one gear? My bike isn't fancy or anything, but it has 7 gears and I use them all when I'm riding up & down hills.
05-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #293
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yup,one gear on hills sucks! Not going to lie. My commute to work doesn't have any hills.

This morning I ran 15km, and rode 51km after work on my carbon rocketship, my legs were tired this evening, but I passed a guy on the last significant hill 12km from the end, then he stayed in my draft and didn't take a pull! Not cool!
05-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #294
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Wow, Alli, now I really look up to you! You must be a power biker to ride a fixed gear bike, especially on hills. My husband and I plan to ride our bikes more this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing how I do with it. It'll be a change of pace from the elliptical.
05-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #295
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Mccindy, I find cycling to be easy on the intestines as opposed to running, so even at my worst, I still managed to ride.
05-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #296
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I concur with what Alli said, I've been doing the exercise bike in my back bedroom all winter and have been riding my real bike outside now that it's been nice out, and I've never had my guts act up when I'm on either bike, not even on a bad tummy day. I do get a bit nervous when I'm on my bike that I might need a bathroom and not be able to find one in time, but so far I haven't had any issues at all - the tummy has been totally quiet on all my rides. (I do keep wet wipes in my backpack though just in case!) I have hip arthritis and biking has been really easy on my hips too, so it's all good.
05-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #297
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My only issue with cycling was last fall when I had a really bad flare and wasn't able to eat much, I wasn't able to fuel myself enough to ride for more than 40-50km.
05-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #298
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I am hopefully going to be bringing my bike from wisconsin soon! I'm glad to hear it is nice on the gut. If my back will work with me I plan to take some nice long rides with the hubs!
05-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #299
Little Bear

My Support Groups:
I haven't been diagnosed (yet) - I have a colonoscopy next week and stool results too so I guess answers are on the way (I hope). I don't know enough about Crohns to gauge how severe a flare I am in if I am indeed in one... I guess bleeding for 6/7 days, major cramps, stomach permanently red and inflammed (since Dec).

As for exercise, I walk the dog for hours on a weekend and 20 mins a few times a week on evenings and I also train 2 hours 4 times a week as an olympic weightlifter and 2 nights a week with interval workouts. I usually have 1 day a week off intense training, maybe 2 on a light week. I train through any exhaustion/lethargy/achiness (got a personal best the evening my colon bled for the first and heaviest time) and absolutely need 8 hrs sleep minimum.

I appreciate that sounds fairly intense but it has been a long gradual road to that level of exercise!
05-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #300
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Wow, little bear! It sounds like you are pretty tough, continuing your intense lifting regimen through all the belly stuff. I try to keep pushing on the elliptical on the days when I am feeling fatigued, but the days when my belly really burns I have a hard time. I at least try to make sure I do my morning half-hour (used to be 45 minutes but I had to cut back to stop burning as many calories) but sometimes I have to skip the afternoon. Usually I push through it though and feel a little better for it!