Share Facebook

05-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #331
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Nice brooks shirts in Belleville this morning, but they only had men's sizes so the small is REALLY big on me.
05-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #332
amrycrohns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Also hate to break it to you, but very few runs are for charity.. Unless it specifically says it's for a charity, it's usually not.
I will not speculate on all race's in the US since I do not know, here where I live we have a running store Big Dog that puts on almost weekly 5k and 10ks and they are always for a charity. Yea the city held ones are not for charity that I have seen.
05-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #333
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Here's the medal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0149.JPG (178.4 KB, 61 views)

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
05-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #334
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Here's the medal
Saw those on FB earlier today, still have lots of friends at CFB Gagetown. Very Fredericton! Miss that place!
05-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #335
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I was quite surprised that I only finished a about a minute and 20 s after my wife - it was her first 5K after being off running for about 3 years
05-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #336
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Saw those on FB earlier today, still have lots of friends at CFB Gagetown. Very Fredericton! Miss that place!
Stopped at the Tim Horton's in Oromocto (by the Sobeys and Esso) for a coffee after the race and the line was almost out the door
05-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #337
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Stopped at the Tim Horton's in Oromocto (by the Sobeys and Esso) for a coffee after the race and the line was almost out the door
Haha, typical Oromocto. Put a Tim Horton's near an Army base and it's a license to print money. There's an awesome coffee shop on Restigouche Rd in Oromocto called Sour Grape.. Much yummier than Timmy's.
05-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #338
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thinking about Oromocto reminds me of having to give my address over the phone for things and having to spell Oromocto 15 times before they got it right
05-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #339
mccindy

My Support Groups:
You guys make me miss running all over again! I wasn't able to exercise over the weekend, as we went back to Wisconsin and I had no access to machines. Ugh. Got 1/2 hour in on the elliptical this morning before work, it felt really good to break a sweat. I find I feel best after an intense cardio workout that really makes me sweat. I'm usually pretty soaked by the end. If I do a more mild session it doesn't feel the same.

current diagnosis is undiagnosed (possible Celiac disease)

Colonoscopy done August 2013, no evidence of Crohn's seen, biopsies done and one polyp removed.
Polyp is precancerous adenoma

(Diagnosed with a diffuse astrocytoma (brain tumor) 5/31/13.
Craniotomy with tumor resection performed July 2013. 99% of WHO grade II diffuse astrocytoma removed, MRI scheduled every 6 months to monitor for regrowth.)
05-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #340
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Mccindy, were you able to get your bicycle when you were in WI?

And I agree, I'm jealous of those who are able to run. I tried doing a 4-minute jog as my warm-up before weight lifting the other week. I felt okay during & immediately after, but the next day both my hips were quite painful. I used to be able to get away with 5 or 6 minutes of running without pain, but now I can't even do 4 mins without pain. Hmph! Things like that make me feel like my body is disintegrating rapidly. It's not a good feeling at all.
05-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #341
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm only back to running consistently since being on Remicade, for awhile running just made all of my symptoms worse.
05-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #342
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
15km recovery run this morning and an hour flush out spin this evening. Training is still going well. Registered for a local raced called Beat Beethoven today. Google it, it's in the Canada's most unique races list.
05-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #343
Little Bear

My Support Groups:
I find with my lifting i can feel horrendous at the start of the session then by the end (2 hrs) feel like a new woman sweaty and pain/hot flush free
05-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #344
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Cat- no, ufortunately I was not able to get my bike and I'm not happy about it! We had to bring the car back and not the truck as the hubs is going back soon to take his boat in for its "spring prep". So no, still just hitting the elliptical and taking walks at this point. And the weather is finally great, of course! Hopefully by the end of the month we'll have the bikes. On the plus side, the motorcycle is here now, so maybe some of that type of ride coming soon!
05-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #345
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Alli, I googled that race but couldn't find one in Canada - I found links for Beat Beethoven races in Utah, Colorado, and it looks like Alaska too. It seems to be one of those "concept" races that is picking up steam. There was a race in my city last weekend, I don't remember the name of it but it was a nighttime 5K and they had thumping nightclub type music and everybody got glowsticks and glow in the dark body paint and stuff like that. I heard the Color Run (where you wear all white and they throw colored powder stuff on you as you run) 5K is coming here later this year too. The Beethoven one sounds more fun and less gimmicky than the nightclub one or the Color run. I live right near where the start/finish was for the nightclub 5K thing, and I could hear the music from my house even with the doors & windows all closed. So I'm a bit biased against overly gimmicky races like that one! I'd way rather Beethoven be blasted through my neighborhood than nightclub music.

Mccindy, I'm partially fascinated and partially terrified of motorcycles! On one hand it sounds really cool to ride around on a motorcycle, and on the other hand I'm sure I'd fall off and die. I don't like going fast on that type of thing. My father-in-law has a 4-wheeler, and my hubby took me for a ride on it one day. I held on for dear life, it felt like we were going SO fast and it was quite frightening... then I looked at the speedometer, and we were only going like 9 mph. Ha ha! So, it sounds fun, but also totally not my thing. I'm way too chicken to go faster than 9 mph apparently.
05-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #346
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ali - The Beat Beethoven sounded familiar - I googled and found the one in K-Town and then found the one they had in Fredericton in 2011 (Symphony NB)

Cat - the local airport (YSJ) did a 5K and 10K here a couple of weekends ago shortly after dusk that was lit with the runway lights. It was their 3rd annual, the first two were run in mid morning between flights - I ran it a couple of years ago.

Met with the GI today - CT Scan did not show much in terms of inflammation and there is no change in the stricture from 2010 so that is good - no surgery required now. The bloodwork showed some inflammation but not enough to ramp things up to a biologic. We are taking a status quo approach - not even enough inflammation for prednisone, I go back in September and will keep getting the bloods done every 2 months for the aza.

I think I am going to try to back off from the running for a week and try to rest up there is some stuff I'd like to get done around the house and yard and don't want to burn the candle at both ends.
05-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #347
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
Hwakeye, sounds like good news. I also think its not a bad idea to give the running a miss for a week. You can see if you feel better, worse or the same without running.

I'm looking forwarrd to going to the gym on Friday. I seriously appriciate my four day weeks. It feels so good to have two days left on a weds. If I get a permanent job I'm defo guna join another gym and go more often again
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
05-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #348
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Cat - I used to be absolutely terrified of motorcycles. Then my hubs talked me into taking a ride. I was so scared at first I begged him to stop, but he just kept on going! When I relaxed I realized how much fun it really was. I ALWAYS wear my helmet though, working in the medical field I've seen too many head injuries to not wear one. I've been on his four-wheeler too and I'll say that I think a four-wheeler at nine miles an hour is scarier than a motorcyle at 55! We also always wear jeans and long sleeves and motorcycle boots. It gives me the shivers to see some girl on a cycle in shorts, flip-flops and a halter top with no helmet.... death wish! I like my skin the way it is, road rash is horrible.
05-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #349
sas12

My Support Groups:
So, long story short, just had 4th resection end of December.. bla bla bla, had Crohn since 1999.
You name it I have been on it, there is not a medicine made I have not been on.
So just had my first colonoscopy after loosing yet another foot of my intestines.. I was so "excited" and asked the my GI how my amazing new intestines looked? Well, in three months my freaking Crohns is back where it always comes back. Right where my small meets my large and I am put back together I have 4 ulcers- 5 mm each in size..
So yep I am mad, I have never done this online forum deal before, but I am out of options. Oh did I mention, I have been on Cimzia for over a year and continued with my shots right after I got out of surgery.. SO.. drama..and more blah blah blah, My Crohns is classified as severe.. I am 32. I have two kid, I am blessed and someone always has it worse..
The reason I write is.. HAS ANYONE GONE INTO FULL remission BY ONLY RUNNING? / not diet change, meds... JUST RUNNING ALONE?
I used to run I have completed a marathon and 9 half marathons.
SO, I after finding out my Crohns came back already I am not killing my body with the Cimzia shots if it is not working. I AM GOING TO RUN, my doctor says that this will not work alone, however the best I ever have been with my Crohns was when I ran 5 miles everyday...
05-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #350
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
So, long story short, just had 4th resection end of December.. bla bla bla, had Crohn since 1999.
You name it I have been on it, there is not a medicine made I have not been on.
So just had my first colonoscopy after loosing yet another foot of my intestines.. I was so "excited" and asked the my GI how my amazing new intestines looked? Well, in three months my freaking Crohns is back where it always comes back. Right where my small meets my large and I am put back together I have 4 ulcers- 5 mm each in size..
So yep I am mad, I have never done this online forum deal before, but I am out of options. Oh did I mention, I have been on Cimzia for over a year and continued with my shots right after I got out of surgery.. SO.. drama..and more blah blah blah, My Crohns is classified as severe.. I am 32. I have two kid, I am blessed and someone always has it worse..
The reason I write is.. HAS ANYONE GONE INTO FULL remission BY ONLY RUNNING? / not diet change, meds... JUST RUNNING ALONE?
I used to run I have completed a marathon and 9 half marathons.
SO, I after finding out my Crohns came back already I am not killing my body with the Cimzia shots if it is not working. I AM GOING TO RUN, my doctor says that this will not work alone, however the best I ever have been with my Crohns was when I ran 5 miles everyday...
I'm a marathoner, when my Crohn's is flaring, running makes it worse. Sometimes running even triggers symptoms, last night did speed workout and then spent the whole night on the toilet. Cycling seems to be easier on my body.
05-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #351
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
So it is the Crohn's 3 hour Zumbathon tomorrow - not feeling entirely prepared but it should be fun
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
05-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #352
Liam-Sman

My Support Groups:
Planning to get running over the summer when I get over this flair!

Anyone ever had any problems taking protein shakes or creatine?

Get back to me! Thanks,
Liam

Medication I'm on at the moment:
Remicade

You can normally find me in chat, pop in some time!
http://www.crohnsforum.com/chat.php
05-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #353
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Planning to get running over the summer when I get over this flair!

Anyone ever had any problems taking protein shakes or creatine?

Get back to me! Thanks,
Liam
I don't use either, I'm a distance runner, creatine is rather useless for marathoning.
05-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #354
Liam-Sman

My Support Groups:
I don't use either, I'm a distance runner, creatine is rather useless for marathoning.
Thanks for getting back to me. Why is that? Crohns related?
Does creatine not work for long distances
05-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #355
amrycrohns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks for getting back to me. Why is that? Crohns related?
Does creatine not work for long distances

Creatine is generally thought of as a strength training supplement, it helps produce ATP which fuels you muscles for about 20 seconds of intense exercise. Long distance running will burn carbs, fats and oxygen for sustained excerise. It also helps your muscle's maintain water given you are fuller look and lead to some weight gain, due to extra water storage.

Since I read this I decided to read a few articles before posting and their is some evidence that Creatine can keep Lactic Acid build up down and thus be beneficial to long distance runners. Texas A&M did it with 40 cyclists.

In the end I do not know any long distant runners that use creatine to improve their run.

Like anything it is possible that creatine or the specific brand you choose could aggravate your crohns.
05-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #356
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I had a teammate in University who use to use creatine before XC meets, he went out really fast and then crashed and burned.
05-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #357
Liam-Sman

My Support Groups:
Ahhh okay. I will try it and see how it works, and not hope for anything special.

Thanks for the advice!
05-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #358
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I also have been considering running. Can anyone offer any suggestions to me. I've never been a runner, I don't want to train for a marathon or anything. I just want to get comfortable with the idea of running.

I have started and stopped the Couch to 5k numerous times because I found it boring after the fourth week or so being on a treadmill. I want to give running outdoors a shot. I'm kind of nervous about it though and I don't know if I should be.

I just don't really know what to be mindful of or how to properly prepare, especially if there is any difference in running habits because I have crohn's. I have no clue what I'm doing lol.

I managed to keep up with my daily exercise and recently finished Jillian Michael's 30 day shred (well actually did 27 days - i had a family situation interrupt my routine). Looking for a new challenge.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

05-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #359
Little Bear

My Support Groups:
[QUOTE=amrycrohns;Long distance running will burn carbs, fats and oxygen for sustained excerise. It also helps your muscle's maintain water given you are fuller look and lead to some weight gain, due to extra water storage.[/QUOTE]

Long distance running also eats muscle - taking fast twitch fibres away and leaving slow twitch fibres. Sprinting produces fast twitch fibres and builds muscle
05-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #360
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Chicago - buy good shoes, some running stores will fit you and analyize your gait. Not sure if there are any other apps besides the Couch to K. I followed a program in the book Running to Start to Finish by John Stanton where you start running for a minute then walk for a minute and the run times keep increasing. Some of the running stores (Running Room is the big one here) have learn to run clinics