Share Facebook

05-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #361
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wound up in the ER last night with bloody diarrhea, no blockage or perforation in the X-Ray, ESR was elevated - no sure if I ate something that set things off or if its the flare/active disease or both. Great way to spend my Saturday night on the long holiday weekend.

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
05-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #362
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I also have been considering running. Can anyone offer any suggestions to me. I've never been a runner, I don't want to train for a marathon or anything. I just want to get comfortable with the idea of running.

I have started and stopped the Couch to 5k numerous times because I found it boring after the fourth week or so being on a treadmill. I want to give running outdoors a shot. I'm kind of nervous about it though and I don't know if I should be.

I just don't really know what to be mindful of or how to properly prepare, especially if there is any difference in running habits because I have crohn's. I have no clue what I'm doing lol.

I managed to keep up with my daily exercise and recently finished Jillian Michael's 30 day shred (well actually did 27 days - i had a family situation interrupt my routine). Looking for a new challenge.
Ditto to what Hawkeye said.

Also, you may want to plan your routes where you know there will be washrooms. I have resigned myself to the fact that sometimes there are going to be days where my body is just not going to cooperate.
05-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #363
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Chicago, I'm not a runner, but I have ridden the stationary bike all winter and I completely understand getting bored with it! I've tried watching DVDs and playing video games while I ride, but it's just not the same as getting outside. Fortunately, now that the weather is nice, I've been taking lots of bike rides outside and it's SO much better. It's never boring getting outside for a ride. I don't really have any advice for you, just commiseration about being bored working out inside!

Hawkeye, I hope you feel better soon!
05-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #364
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hawkeye, hope you feel better!
05-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #365
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks. Feeling tired today - went to the ER last night at 10 pm and got out at 3 this morning. Took a nap this afternoon, had a party for our little guy who is 2 next week.

What would a Fitness and Exercise support group be without cake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0158.JPG (32.3 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by hawkeye; 05-21-2013 at 07:05 AM.
05-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #366
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That's an awesome cake.
05-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #367
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Felt like crap this morning. Delayed my run until afternoon, I was slow and sluggish, got through it though, 22km. Total 80km for the week.
Registered for Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, 20 Oct. I was suppose to run this one 2 years ago, but I kept getting sick and didn 't get enough training in, so I ended up running the half. Hoping things continue to go well until the race.
05-20-2013, 02:21 AM   #368
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
So I did my three hours of Zumba on Saturday - it went really well and was actually great fun.
Luckily I ended up in a hot tub in the evening after a night out so my muscles seem to have escaped lightly. Plus thousands were raised for Crohn's and Colitis UK
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
05-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #369
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Chicago - another thing to remember is that running outside is different than running on a treadmill. You do use more muscles, differently than with treadmill running. It's best if you start slowly, doing short distances, and stretch plenty after each run. Gradually increase distance and speed as you tolerate. Your muscles will likely be quite sore after the first few runs. Don't push much, but give your muscles a day to recover if you do get too sore. Massages will help with that too. In a couple of weeks you should be running well!

current diagnosis is undiagnosed (possible Celiac disease)

Colonoscopy done August 2013, no evidence of Crohn's seen, biopsies done and one polyp removed.
Polyp is precancerous adenoma

(Diagnosed with a diffuse astrocytoma (brain tumor) 5/31/13.
Craniotomy with tumor resection performed July 2013. 99% of WHO grade II diffuse astrocytoma removed, MRI scheduled every 6 months to monitor for regrowth.)
05-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #370
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
stretch plenty after each run.
I forgot about the stretching....good point. I find my lower legs are what I have to concentrate on when I stretch
05-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #371
Beach
Forum Monitor

For improving fatigue and increasing muscle strength saw a new study came out on vitamin D and Crohn's patients. Reaching a testing level of 30ng/ml and higher helped those with Crohn's greatly.

"Vitamin D supplements could help Crohn’s patients fight fatigue, improve quality of life"

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...ntcmp=HPBucket
05-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #372
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Registered for Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, 20 Oct. I was suppose to run this one 2 years ago, but I kept getting sick and didn 't get enough training in, so I ended up running the half. Hoping things continue to go well until the race.
Good luck. There are usually a few from here that run the Toronto Marathon.

Update - I think my Saturday night ER trip may have been a gastro bug. My little guy is sick - the advantages of having a leather couch.
05-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #373
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hawkeye, are you and your little boy feeling better? I have something bacterial, they think salmonella or something like that. I went to the doctor and she said there are a lot of stomach bugs going around (she had one herself, I was afraid she was going to infect me!). I haven't been able to work out this week due to feeling so lousy. Now I'm on Cipro and I'm not supposed to do anything strenuous while I'm on it or I could rupture a tendon, so I can't go to the gym for at least another week. Has anyone else exercised while on Cipro? I'm thinking I could probably still ride my bike and do yoga, but I'll probably avoid the weights. Just wondering what I can & can't get away with.
05-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #374
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
He's feeling better and I am too. He got sick Monday night and was home from daycare Tuesday and Wednesday. I worked from home Tuesday and called in my parents for reinforcements on Wednesday. He went to daycare on Thursday after the diarrhea cleared and went to daycare again on Friday.

They have an exclusion rule at the daycare that the child has to be diarrhea free for 24 hours before they go back. I guess things can spread easy with kids putting toys in their mouths, sharing food and the like.

My wife has something today, but has chills and joint aches which I didn't have. It's been a busy couple of weekends with the 5K 2 weekends ago and the long weekend and his birthday party last weekend. It was nice to not have anything pressing to do this weekend.

I followed up with my GI, the hospital faxed him after my trip to the ER on Saturday, about the gastro bug. The more I think of it, it was likely some sort of a stomach bug that I had last weekend as the bloody D just came and went.

I read about your week in the other thread, keep up posted on how the Cipro goes.
05-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #375
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I did a 600km bike tour while on cipro and flagyl. I had been on in for 2 months. Don't get too worked up about it.
05-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #376
Chronsremission

My Support Groups:
I did a 600km bike tour while on cipro and flagyl. I had been on in for 2 months. Don't get too worked up about it.
that is amazing and very inspiring!
05-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #377
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
I got some new work out clothes today! Looking forward to my next trip to the gym in them!
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
05-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #378
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Haven't run in a while. Had a good workout tonight for almost 2 hours in the yard doing some gardening
05-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #379
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I got some new work out clothes today! Looking forward to my next trip to the gym in them!
got some new stuff too, bought my first pair of a Oiselle shorts. Contemplating breaking my own rule and racing in them on Sunday.
06-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #380
suzette

My Support Groups:
Hello 💐. I had years of managing my Crohn's very well. Then the last 2 1/2 years have been a roller coaster ride & Not in a fun way. But I feel like I'm improving again a little by little. 🎉Yippee. ⭐🎉
I found cycling ( gentle cycling - not races around France lol ) has been good. This has only been possible due to a seat called an 'EASY SEAT' - ( I had tried padded & different styles of saddle :-( not possible as during & after pain & diss comfort ) . It has 2 pads which are separated (adjustable to suit you ) they move individually & it takes all the pressure off . It is fabulous!!!! I'm no sporty lady but apparently tri-athletes use them. So I reckon that makes me a fit bird haa haa.
They aren't crazy money & I got mine from eBay. Now on good days I can cycle with family & friends. I hope this helps somebody as its helped me.
Suzette 🌹
06-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #381
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I raced again today. Wasn't sure how it was going to go, I wasn't feeling great earlier in the week. Surprisingly it went really well!!! I didn't even have my usual post-race cramps!
06-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #382
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Alli - so glad to hear you were able to enjoy a run again! After taking the weekend off I got on the elliptical this morning and it felt so darn good. I almost can't wait to get back on this afternoon! I envy you your running, I always did love to run and really miss it. I'm very happy for you that it's going well again.

LMV, it's always so fun to get new workout clothes! How did the workout go?
06-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #383

My Support Groups:
I haven't been since buying the clothes yet!
Might not get a chance to go on Friday either since we want to try and get a visit to the beach while we have nice weather
06-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #384
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Oh I would definitely choose the beach too! I haven't been to a beach in so long..... ooh withdrawals now!
06-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #385
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I haven't been to the beach in forever either! I think we went once last year. We don't go to the beach very often because my hubby has a very fair complexion, and he sunburns ridiculously easily. I swear, it seems like it's impossible for him to get a tan, he just goes from pale to burned.
06-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #386
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I used to have a friend like that! She was a redhead and her skin went from white to burned and then back to white. Never tanned a bit. I'm fair but I don't burn too easily and I can tan. but my husband isn't a fan of the beach because he gets bored. He'd rather go fishing or something that has action.
06-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #387

My Support Groups:
Do you live far from the Sea Mccindy?

The UK being small, and fairly long and thin you are never really very far from the sea. They say the furthest is 70-80 miles. We r fairly far relatively speaking so we don't go very much. Say about 50miles directly but going by roads it will be about 60 miles. We usually go near Bournemouth which is where we like and that is about 70 miles.
06-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #388
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
LMV, McCindy and I both live in the upper midwest - in other words, northern central part of the US. So sadly neither of us is close to the sea at all! It's probably at least 1000 miles in either direction. We do have lots of lakes around here, so if I go to the beach I either go to a lake or a pond. I've been to both coasts, they're very nice, but they're nowhere near Wisconsin nor Minnesota.

Cindy, my hubby is "almost" a redhead. His hair on his head is brown, but if he grows out his beard, that hair is red! It's kind of funny. He seems to have one red hair in one eyebrow too, I notice it all the time and it bugs me, I want to pluck it out.
06-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #389
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
LMV, McCindy and I both live in the upper midwest - in other words, northern central part of the US. So sadly neither of us is close to the sea at all! It's probably at least 1000 miles in either direction. We do have lots of lakes around here, so if I go to the beach I either go to a lake or a pond. I've been to both coasts, they're very nice, but they're nowhere near Wisconsin nor Minnesota.

Cindy, my hubby is "almost" a redhead. His hair on his head is brown, but if he grows out his beard, that hair is red! It's kind of funny. He seems to have one red hair in one eyebrow too, I notice it all the time and it bugs me, I want to pluck it out.
Lake beaches are not the same as the ocean! I miss the ocean, but I'm not a beach person. Newfoundland doesn't have many beaches anyway, just rocky shorelines.
06-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #390
mccindy

My Support Groups:
LMV -Yes, Minnesota is a long, long way from the ocean! I've been to both of them, Pacific and Atlantic, but not for a long time. There are nice sand beaches along some of the lakes around here. Minnesota literally is full of lakes and Wisconsin has many as well, so there's no shortage of waterfront.
Alli - I do think that rocky shorelines can be quite beautiful as well. I've never been to Newfoundland but I've seen pictures and it is a lovely place.

Cat, have you ever tried to pluck it just to see what happens?