Share Facebook

02-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #511
mccindy

My Support Groups:
It's still much better to build bone density by using stronger weight-bearing activity like actual weight lifting and stair climbing. I'm not disputing your studies, just saying that the more weight, and the more resistance, the better the results.

current diagnosis is undiagnosed (possible Celiac disease)

Colonoscopy done August 2013, no evidence of Crohn's seen, biopsies done and one polyp removed.
Polyp is precancerous adenoma

(Diagnosed with a diffuse astrocytoma (brain tumor) 5/31/13.
Craniotomy with tumor resection performed July 2013. 99% of WHO grade II diffuse astrocytoma removed, MRI scheduled every 6 months to monitor for regrowth.)
02-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #512
kel
Forum Monitor

That study is of female athletes. One of the links you posted specifically states walking made no difference in bone mineral density.
02-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #513
zoeythecat

My Support Groups:
It states that if you just stroll along easily it doesn't do much good, and the study compared 2 groups of female athletes (which varied in the intensity of their exercise) to a sedentary population, but I am not on here to argue with you. In fact this stuff is public knowledge at this point... there are public service announcements all over TV about it... even on channels like nick jr. etc., targeting younger people and parents because being active at a young age can prevent problems later... I just saw one last night where a young boy called his elderly grandmother on the phone asking to go for a walk, which then went on to explain that regular physical activity of this kind can prevent bone loss later in life. like I said a hundred times... information is everywhere out there... I don't know why you are so combative and hostile, but to each his/her own. What makes you such an expert anyway? I would think as a forum monitor you would be a little more knowledgeable... and a word of advice... read more closely and pay more attention to detail before you argue. I'm going out for a 3 mile run right now!
02-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #514
zoeythecat

My Support Groups:
It's still much better to build bone density by using stronger weight-bearing activity like actual weight lifting and stair climbing. I'm not disputing your studies, just saying that the more weight, and the more resistance, the better the results.
weight lifting is fine, but it doesn't affect the hips and legs so much... except squats for example... and if you are doing weight training where you are sitting that gets the spine, shoulders arms, etc... the results are very specific to the exercise you are doing and the area it targets... so a variety of exercise is important. Stair climbing is fine, but because it doesn't have the impact, it is not as effective as a preventative measure... however if you already have issues with arthritis, or bone loss, it is a great alternative because it is less wear and tear on already damaged cartilage. The main area that most women experience bone loss is in the pelvic bone, and hip fractures are not uncommon in older women after accidentally slipping or falling, so this area is important to pay attention to, which is why I stated exercise like walking (fast walking... not strolling along) and jogging are good... just because the stair climbing wasn't mentioned doesn't mean I don't think its good... in fact I do it all winter during bad weather.
02-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #515
mccindy

My Support Groups:
When I refer to weight lifting, I mean a variety of the activity, not just sittin and using the arms to lift weights. True weight training involves a variety of movements including squats, lunges, and using resistance machinery to move the legs and torso in ways that manipulate the large and small muscles of the lower back, buttocks and thighs in ways that will help strengthen the entire pelvic cradle and the hips, the bones that are most likely to break later in life. If this type of weight training is started at a younger age and a higher intensity, it can greatly reduce the risk of bone density loss later in life. If it is started at an older age and lower intensity, in can still precent further bone loss and even rebuild some bone density and prevent breakage.
02-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #516
SarahLou

My Support Groups:
I'm new to this forum and would just like to say that I've appreciated the comments made by Zoey as exercise is really important to me too and I believe it helps me fight my Crohns not just on a physical level but on a mental level too. Every long-distance run I finish feels like a victory for me and a kick in the teeth to Crohns. I've been a little disturbed by your comments Kel as you seem to be very argumentative and as a newbie, I find it off-putting that I could be entering a forum where I might be attacked for sharing something that someone else disagrees with.
02-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #517
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone, let's all take a step back and calm down. No need for the discussion to become heated (although I am glad that everyone is so passionate about fitness!).

Zoey, I know you're relatively new to the forum and I do hope you stick around because I am sure you do have a lot of valuable information to contribute. I think how this got started was that Kel was just asking for links. When you state information as fact, just generally speaking and not specifically for this thread only, it's best to post a link backing up your information. That's all, I don't believe he was attempting to be rude or hostile.

Kel, you do have a bit of a blunt writing style at times which may come across as being harsh or unsupportive (I know you're not unsupportive, but perhaps think about the way you word things in the future particularly around newer members). I know you're also very knowledgeable about fitness and you've given me some good advice in the past and I know you're supportive, that just doesn't always come across in your very short posts like the ones directed at Zoey.

Can we all agree to get along? We're all here for fitness and we're all fighting our own battles - let's not fight with each other too. Sound good?
03-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #518
HiImSean

My Support Groups:
I've been on the forums for a while but haven't joined in discussions much but I'd like to change that. Since being diagnosed and surgery for Crohn's I've taken up running, did a few 5ks with my wife, and got back to my favorite sport, soccer, after a break during college. It helps keep my mind off things when I get stressed from life.
03-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #519
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I got the o.k. from my surgeon and GI to start an exercise program.I checked out some gyms in my area and joined one.I went through the orientation last night.I've been thinking about this as my surgeries healed and finally did it.

I want to be proactive fighting crohn's.I'm not a join the gym kinda person to be honest.I'm hoping being around like minded people will motivate me.I asked what the busy/not busy times were and the less busy times suit my schedule.

My resection was an open surgery.I would be happy to here from anyone about strengthening my abdominals.

I've been walking and doing gentle yoga.Going to the gym is a big step for me.I figure I'll try 2-3 times a week to start.They also have a pool and sauna.There are a variety of cardio and yoga classes that are included as well.The facilities seem clean and kept up.I'll take it slow and see how it goes.

This should be interesting.
03-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #520
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
Sounds great Dave! As you say, take it slowly. You don't want to burn yourself out too soon and then dislike it and give up! Just set yourself a couple of times a week to begin with. You will be surprised to see how quickly you improve at first, and then that will give you the motivation to keep going! Are you thinking of focussing mostly on cardio or weights?
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
03-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #521
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sounds great Dave! As you say, take it slowly. You don't want to burn yourself out too soon and then dislike it and give up! Just set yourself a couple of times a week to begin with. You will be surprised to see how quickly you improve at first, and then that will give you the motivation to keep going! Are you thinking of focussing mostly on cardio or weights?
I'm thinking weights to start off. An overall program using free weights and nautilus equipment.Start slow and go from there.I'll check out the cardio and yoga classes.There included with the membership.I'll hold off on them for now.Maybe once I get in a routine and things are going well I'll look into them.
03-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #522
chicky402

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone. This blog is very inspirational. I had my surgery at the end of January and my stomach muscles were cut into, as well as resectioning was done. I haven't worked out in quite sometime and I am so scared because I dont' know my limits. I still get sore at the end of each day so the thought of even lifting the slightest weight scare me. I think before I even think of hitting the gym I might ease into working out by doing slow walking on my treadmill. My question to everyone is does making your body stronger by working out help with CD flare ups? Help!!
03-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #523
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Chicky, good question. I don't know if there have been any studies done about working out and the severity of flare-ups. I can tell you anecdotally from personal experience, I was mildly flaring for the past year or so, and I continued exercising as often as I was able to. I am not sure, but I like to think that keeping up with exercise helped keep my flare mild. I was of course doing other things in an effort to keep the flare under control - medication, supplements, getting enough sleep, staying hydrated, etc. I believe it was a combination of all those things that kept the flare from getting any worse.

There have been studies showing that exercise can help with chronic pain, particularly joint pain (I started exercising regularly in the first place because my physical therapist said it would help me immensely with my arthritis, and she was right). Exercise also helps improve things like moods, depression, and stress levels, which all are important to manage with IBD. So in those ways exercise has definitely helped me. So again, I'm not sure if exercise has a direct effect on helping IBD, but it is beneficial in multiple related ways and personally it's done me tons of good. I hope that helps?
03-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #524
Jim Gonsler

My Support Groups:
Just wanted to chime in on exercise. I've had crohn's for over 40 years. I've controlled it in large part because of regular exercise. Having crohn's is stressful , no one will argue that fact. Stress leads to flares. However, exercise controls stress. I'd say work out to where it makes you breathe hard. Then you know it's doing some good. Once those endorphines are released you get this great feeling of well-being that comes over you. Stress just vanishes! Obviously, you don't want to overdue it. But many people I know usually don't come close to this point. Stick with it and good luck!
Jim
Suffered badly with Crohn's/Ileitis till diagnosis in 1971and received bowel resection surgery to fix resulting obstruction and perforation the spring of that year. Few symptoms displayed since then, but diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 6 years ago.
Take Asacol occasionally for flare-ups (due mostly to antibiotics), supplements like multi-vitamins, Calcium and OPC-3 in Isotonix form.
03-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #525
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I finally went to the gym.I've been twice this week and will try for every other day.I'm taking it slow.I'm already looking forward to next time.Never thought I'd say that!

I wanted to start last week but delayed it.Last Monday I started having pain under my resection scar.I ran my fingers along the scar and could feel a small bump under the scar.It really hurt.I called my surgeons office and talked with a nurse and described it to her.She said my sutures should be dissolved by now,but sometimes one does not and can cause pain. Without actually examining me she couldn't say for sure.I was paranoid I did something and it was a incisinal hernia.She said since the bump was hard and didn't push back in when I felt it,she felt it was a suture.I can still feel a small bump but the pain is gone.I guess she was right.

Anyone else have a similar issue with sutures?My resection was my first operation so I have nothing to compare it to.
03-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #526
devin.moyer

My Support Groups:
hello everybody. im hoping to get some good advice. as some of you may know from previous posts, i am in the military, and i just went through the process of being diagnosed. during that time, i was very constipated and my stomach pains were so intense that i couldn't do any physical training. it has been almost 3 months since i have done any intense physical training. i have FINALLY been cleared to start physical training again, but needless to say i have gained weight from not being able too. what i am looking for is a meal replacement protein shake to start taking after my lunch time workouts. i have heard that soft foods/liquid diets are good for people with crohn's, so that is another bonus. i want to find one that tastes ok (doesn't have to tastes great, just tolerable), high in protein, low-moderate in calories and carbs, and high in vitamins and minerals. any recommendations will be great. i also need to find something to eat for breakfast that i can take to morning PT with me and eat afterwards, as i do not go back home after morning PT. I was thinking hard boiled eggs and fruit, but i'm just wondering if anybody has any other suggestions on that topic as well.
03-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #527
aloe

My Support Groups:
A friend who knows a lot about nutrition told me recently to try a protein powder with chia seeds. She was suggesting chia seeds for digestion, but I can't eat seeds, so she was saying that would be a good format to get those. I haven't tried it myself yet, but just passing it along.

Glad you're feeling better, and good luck with your training!
03-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #528
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Hi devin , I don't know much about those protein shakes ect, but I imagine you would want to be careful which ones you have. If they are packed full of sugar , artificial sweeteners and other chemicals they could do much more harm than good. Have you looked into juicing or smoothies at all?

I would have thought eggs would be ok unless you are still a bit bunged up and I find a nice ripe banana is good for food on the go (the greener ones can give me tummy ache).
As for vitamins do you take any vit pills ?
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
03-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #529
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I had a colonoscopy last Thursday and it was after this that my Dr suggested Remicade because he had been unable to get the camera all the way to my lower intestine due to what he thought was severe inflammation. I had a barium test today and though I'll see my GI Dr on Monday to talk about the next steps, the Dr today said it was a severe stricture causing the narrowing rather than inflammation. So I guess now I'm not sure what my GI is going to recommend.

I currently take pentasa and I feel healthy but as I said before, my last two flare-ups have both happened when I've taken a break from running .... maybe that's because running is a natural stress-reliever?
How did the GI appointment go? Not being able to get the camera through sounds like my stricture that I had taken out a few weeks ago.

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
03-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #530
TexasCoach

My Support Groups:
I finally went to the gym.I've been twice this week and will try for every other day.I'm taking it slow.I'm already looking forward to next time.Never thought I'd say that!

I wanted to start last week but delayed it.Last Monday I started having pain under my resection scar.I ran my fingers along the scar and could feel a small bump under the scar.It really hurt.I called my surgeons office and talked with a nurse and described it to her.She said my sutures should be dissolved by now,but sometimes one does not and can cause pain. Without actually examining me she couldn't say for sure.I was paranoid I did something and it was a incisinal hernia.She said since the bump was hard and didn't push back in when I felt it,she felt it was a suture.I can still feel a small bump but the pain is gone.I guess she was right.

Anyone else have a similar issue with sutures?My resection was my first operation so I have nothing to compare it to.
Yeah I still have mine.
04-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #531
Eve

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if I can have some advice on exercise. I am still awaiting a diagnosis for suspected Crohn's - been in an out of hospital in January, cameras everywhere lol and although I'm feeling physically stronger than I have in a long time, I am still absolutely exhausted. I'd had Ferinject for anaemia, I can walk short distances but then I seem to hit a wall and feel completely drained of any energy for the rest of the day - feel sick, spasming in the right hand side under my rib cage, burning in my stomach (ulcer there) and generally feel awful.

I want to up my exercise, for my mental health as much as my physical wellbeing. I also don't wanna put loads of weight on - one '''good''' thing to come from all this has been I've got some weight off.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Love to all,

Eve

x
04-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #532
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hi Eve, welcome to the forum. I'd say listen to your body - if it is asking for rest, give it rest. With starting exercise, I'd take it very slowly and gently at first and continue listening to your body - if something hurts or your body doesn't respond well, then stop or try something else. I'd suggest maybe starting with some gentle yoga. There's a good thread here with a link to some very gentle yoga poses (see the 4th post in this thread):
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=28108

If that goes well then you could gradually increase the time/intensity of exercise that you're doing. I wouldn't push it too much too fast though or you may just end up feeling a lot worse. Good luck!
04-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #533
SarahLou

My Support Groups:
How did the GI appointment go? Not being able to get the camera through sounds like my stricture that I had taken out a few weeks ago.
It's seems like a lot has happened since I posted that message about my GI appointment. I ended up taking Imuran but had the most severe allergic reaction so was taken off of it and since then, I've spoken to my GI but mostly to let him know that I think he didn't take proper care of me. During our conversation, he told me that my options were Humira, Surgery or Remicade and I simply haven't been back to him.

I've started taking Pentasa again and trying to be careful about what I eat. I'm still running and generally feeling good so unless that changes, I'm not in a rush to try something new again because I had such a horrible time on the Imuran

It sounds like you had surgery, how did that go?

Sarah xx
04-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #534
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:

It sounds like you had surgery, how did that go?
Surgery went well, had o go back in with a blockage though. There is thread in the surgery forum http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=59203
04-23-2014, 06:50 AM   #535
Eve

My Support Groups:
Hi Eve, welcome to the forum. I'd say listen to your body - if it is asking for rest, give it rest. With starting exercise, I'd take it very slowly and gently at first and continue listening to your body - if something hurts or your body doesn't respond well, then stop or try something else. I'd suggest maybe starting with some gentle yoga. There's a good thread here with a link to some very gentle yoga poses (see the 4th post in this thread):
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=28108

If that goes well then you could gradually increase the time/intensity of exercise that you're doing. I wouldn't push it too much too fast though or you may just end up feeling a lot worse. Good luck!
Hey Cat, thanks a lot for the advice/validation. It's just so frustrating. But at least I'm well enough to go for very short walks - I guess I'm surprised just how little I can manage and how exhausted I am after it. Monday I walked a grand total of half a mile round trip and I was flat out for the rest of the day! I'll definitely look into yoga, could be quite amusing considering how unbendy I am! x
04-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #536
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Eve, I'm ridiculously un-flexible (inflexible?) too. I can't touch my toes, most of the time I can barely touch my shins, ha ha. So I can't do some of the more advanced yoga poses, and I prefer to do yoga in my home by myself (using a DVD or the Wii fit) rather than go embarass myself in an actual class in front of people. But, I can do some yoga poses and they do seem to help, particularly with my arthritis. So don't worry too much about not being very bendy, it hasn't been a major detriment in my experience and I've still gotten lots of benefits from yoga.
04-24-2014, 07:03 AM   #537
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Eve,I agree with Cat-a-Tonic.I feel yoga has great benefits.I have arthritis as well and a work injury in my L1-L3 area.I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you give it a try.

I figured I would give an update.I've been going to the gym 3 times a week now for a little over a month.I've been using the nautilus equipment and have enjoyed it.I take it slow and I push myself with in reason.I have been walking on the treadmill as well.I can walk outside now the weather is improving.

I am interested in using free weights and get away from the nautilus equipment.I talked with a trainer at the gym.I told her my medical history and told her I was interested in an overall program with emphasis on my core.We are going to meet next tuesday and I will see what she came up with.

I do feel better going to the gym.It makes me feel like I'm doing something to give CD a kick in the ass.Helps me emotionally.

I'm looking forward to seeing,and trying,the program she developed.I figure I will be more motivated to go the gym if I set goals for myself.I'll let you all know how it goes.
04-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #538
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I do feel better going to the gym.It makes me feel like I'm doing something to give CD a kick in the ass.Helps me emotionally.
Yes, that's how I feel too! I obviously take my meds and try to get enough sleep & avoid trigger foods and that kind of stuff, but that all feels somewhat passive. Working out is the one thing I can do where I really feel like I'm actually physically fighting my illness. It's a great feeling. And yes, it helps me emotionally as well - it relieves so much stress and chases the depression away. I almost always feel better both physically and mentally after a workout.
04-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #539
Shelleyskis

My Support Groups:
Hey hey!

Well my ski season ended and as a professional coach I had to step down from some of my responsibilities but now understand a bit better how to manage my energy levels and still deal with athletes. The big issue is always hydration when I'm active and altitude/glaciers where there are no bathrooms.

For those guys who recently started post about the gym, I too recently joined one and am going to try and get on my road bike soon...I'm still learning my limits though. I ran for an hour yesterday and have been just now recovering. I use free weights though and a Swiss ball which really help stabilize and use the minor muscle groups throughout the body and the core.

Next week I'm going to start yoga. Is it strange to think that jumping off a small cliff on skis is less terrifying than a mat and room full of stretchy people? Lol.

I just wanted to say though, as much as CD really sucks, it's nice to live life a little and get back into the world and I love this forum and the support it provides...it's been a great inspiration on those tough days!
05-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #540
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
So as everyone can see, we now have our own fitness & exercise sub-forum! Let's get the fitness talk going again! Feel free to start your own threads or post in here.