Share Facebook

03-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #91
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Eek! Alli, methinks you are being sarcastic when you say it's a funny story!
I am never sarcastic! Haha

We have one of those chin up bars that hooks in the door frame, it came unhooked while I as on it and I went crashing to the floor. The first thing that hurt was my head, and then my wrist, I didn't even know there was something wrong with my leg until a few days later. I'm pretty sure everyone at the base hospital mocked me after I told them what happened. Needless to say I don't use it anymore.
03-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #92
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ooh Alli do tell!

Also, I was going to ask you about your streak. How are you deciding how much to run each day? Do you have like a min for each day, or do you do more one day and then less the next and so forth?
Holly,

The objective of a run streak is to run every day. I am building by 5-10k each week, but for daily runs, the only one where I run a decided distance is my "long" run, which isn't that long this point. The other runs I just fit in and make sure I don't go over my weekly total. Each run has to be a min of 1km.
I am doing this for 60 days, until my first race of the year, and then I am going to get more specific about training and hopefully run a marathon in the fall.
03-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #93
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
The chin-up bar I ordered gets good reviews and I didn't see any horror stories like yours in the reviews, so hopefully I don't fall or break anything when using it! Maybe I'll set it kind of low and put some pillows on the floor beneath it though just in case...
03-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #94
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/48...m_Chin_Up.html

We have one of these. I highly don't recommend this type.
03-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #95
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ah, okay. The one I got is a slightly different design. I ordered this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully it won't fail on me! My brother had a really similar one and he liked his a lot and never had any issues with it.
03-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #96
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I know a few people who have those, don't know anyone who has had any accidents. :-)
03-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #97
lizzy16
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You guys are really inspiring me!!

I'm not a runner so I'm trying to build up my stamina buy doing 30 minute sessions on the treadmill. Brisk walk for 4 minutes, jog/run for 1 minute and repeat. On the last set walk for 3 minutes and run for 2 minutes. Followed by 10 minutes of weights and 5 minutes stretching. All going okay so far, muscles are a little tired but I think this is a realistic combo for me right now with the room to increase the difficulty as I improve. Also did a balance class yesterday (I did everything but the crunches), felt a bit wobbly but I'm sure my poses will improve with time!

Diagnosed with Crohn's colitis October 2011
150mg Imuran
Started Humira 40mg 26/03/13
Vit D Supplement

"There's nothing you can do that can't be done."
03-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #98
lizzy16
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Or should I say, I'm not a runner YET
03-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #99
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Lizzy, that's great, you can do it! Keep going and you'll be a runner in no time.
03-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #100
Mary:)

My Support Groups:
Ok everyone...I have started working out in group classes BUT I ALWAYS have GAS!! especially when Im moving around so much..its so embarassing. Just thought I would share

Fistula-2010

Humira-Every 2 weeks 40mg

Prednisone drives me nuts!!!!
03-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #101
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Mary, I have a similar issue but on the other end - due to my severe GERD, I sometimes end up belching a lot when I work out. I try not to be obvious about it, but sometimes a lot of gas wants to come out of my stomach and sometimes it can get kind of gross. Oh well, not much I can do about it and I'm certainly not going to stop exercising, so the people around me just have to deal with it when it happens.
03-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #102
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ok everyone...I have started working out in group classes BUT I ALWAYS have GAS!! especially when Im moving around so much..its so embarassing. Just thought I would share
Think of it as extra rocket power! ;-)
03-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #103
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
10 degrees here today and the roads are starting to dry up. Ran this morning, so went for a short ride on my road bike after work, hubby came too. I whooped his butt.
03-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #104
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wraped up the week of running for 2 minutes walking for 1 minute, time to up the run to 3 minutes

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #105
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Awesome Hawkeye! Keep it up!
03-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #106
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
My legs are still aching from my workout with the resistance bands on Sunday! They do feel better but I'm going to have to put my gym day off until tomorrow again! At least now I have a better idea of how much I am using the muscles and can tone it down a little bit next time!!
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
03-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #107
prettykitty

My Support Groups:
I've been researching bone-strengthening exercises and it seems the good weight-bearing cardio workouts are walking, hiking, dancing and climbing. Lifting weights is very good. Swimming and cycling have little impact on bone strength, and situps or crunches are a straight-up no no for weak backs. Does this seem right? I'm keen to go and do some light exercise tomorrow, maybe the stair climbing machine at the gym.

Glad to have this support group to motivate me!
Tennis is one of the best sports for bone-strengthening, if that's a sport you like.
03-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #108
prettykitty

My Support Groups:
Okay, back on subject. Anybody have fun workout plans for the weekend? I was going to walk my dog (she loves snow) but now that it's going to rain instead, that's out the window. I'm hoping to lift weights tomorrow and do either cardio or yoga on Sunday.
I'm doing the Georgia Half Marathon on Sunday! Woo!
03-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #109
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm doing the Georgia Half Marathon on Sunday! Woo!
Good Luck!
03-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #110
prettykitty

My Support Groups:
...Brisk walk for 4 minutes, jog/run for 1 minute and repeat. On the last set walk for 3 minutes and run for 2 minutes...
Lizzy, that's totally the way to go! It's a great way to ramp up your running without getting injured. After consecutive injuries (posterior tibial tendonitis, followed by ileo-tibial band syndrome), I switched back from all running to running with periodic walk breaks (I take a brief walk break every half mile). I have been injury-free ever since! Plus, I am FASTER now with walk breaks than I ever was without. Last summer, at age 35, I beat my previous 10K PR (by 1 second!) that I had set at age 30.

Needless to say, I am a HUGE advocate of run/walk!
03-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #111
prettykitty

My Support Groups:
I regularly take a mat pilates class at the gym, and almost every class there is someone who farts at some point. I'm surprised it hasn't been me yet!

(the trick is to let just a little bit out here and there so it doesn't build up!)
03-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #112
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Feel better, LMV! *hugs*

Good luck on Sunday, prettykitty!

Keep on rocking, Alli and Hawkeye!

As for me, I'm doing great too - haven't had a rest day in awhile, have been either doing weights or cardio every day. It feels great! My reflux has been nailing me today and the hip is a bit achey, but I'm not going to let that stuff slow me down. I'm hitting the exercise bike tonight, I have a new DVD that I'm excited to watch while I ride so I can't wait!
03-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #113
Ya noy

Exercise update:

My exercise for past week has consisted of shoveling mountains of snow, along with repairing and repainting the interior of our 3 bedroom rental house with cathedral ceilings (to make painting even more fun!), and then washed the windows, cleaned the blinds, shampooed all the carpets, and scrubbed it clean. I then showed it at least 20 times, and got it rented out this weekend. Woohoo.

I'm now in excruciating pain. I can't feel my fingers and can hardly walk, much less run, bike, aerobicize, or go to any gyms.

Maybe next week.
03-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #114
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ya noy, feel better soon! We fortunately got more rain than snow with that last storm that rolled through over the weekend. I have had more than my fair share of shoveling this winter so I hear you there, it's been crazy at times!

I'm feeling really good lately. Maybe it's just because the sun is shining, or maybe because I've been working out every day, but at any rate I feel great, healthy and strong. It's so easy to forget I'm sick when I have times like this! That gets dangerous though, when I start feeling too good, sometimes I get cocky and think I can eat anything. "I feel great! Maybe I'll have a big salad! I probably won't die 2 hours later!" Cut to 2 hours later and I'm wishing for death. Or at least not having a good time at all. So I'm trying hard to stick to my usual safe diet and not eat anything that will mess me up.
03-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #115
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Now at day 19 of my run streak but it took everything I had to get up the motivation to run today. I stayed up late last night to work on a post grad paper and then was up early. I'm exhausted! Also my tummy is hurting again today, I'm hoping the pain won't stick around and it's just because I stressed my body or an effect of tapering down off Entocort.
03-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #116
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
How far are you able to run on a bad day like this, Alli? I hope you feel better soon!
03-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #117
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
How far are you able to run on a bad day like this, Alli? I hope you feel better soon!
I only ran 4km, Squadron PT was spin class this morning, so just enough running to flush out my legs. However, My total distance for this week can only equal 45km, so I have to balance my runs. Tummy pain for the whole run, glad it was short.
03-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #118
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Exercise update:

My exercise for past week has consisted of shoveling mountains of snow, along with repairing and repainting the interior of our 3 bedroom rental house with cathedral ceilings (to make painting even more fun!), and then washed the windows, cleaned the blinds, shampooed all the carpets, and scrubbed it clean. I then showed it at least 20 times, and got it rented out this weekend. Woohoo.

I'm now in excruciating pain. I can't feel my fingers and can hardly walk, much less run, bike, aerobicize, or go to any gyms.

Maybe next week.
Shovelling and painting, def a workout. We painted our entire house when we first moved in three years ago. The previous owner hadn't painted anything in the three years he owned the house and everything needed to be painted (we live next to the military base, so our neighbour hood is mostly military = continuous turnover of housing market), it was quite the chore to get everything painted before the moving truck showed up from New Brunswick.
03-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #119
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ya noy, feel better soon! We fortunately got more rain than snow with that last storm that rolled through over the weekend. I have had more than my fair share of shoveling this winter so I hear you there, it's been crazy at times!

I'm feeling really good lately. Maybe it's just because the sun is shining, or maybe because I've been working out every day, but at any rate I feel great, healthy and strong. It's so easy to forget I'm sick when I have times like this! That gets dangerous though, when I start feeling too good, sometimes I get cocky and think I can eat anything. "I feel great! Maybe I'll have a big salad! I probably won't die 2 hours later!" Cut to 2 hours later and I'm wishing for death. Or at least not having a good time at all. So I'm trying hard to stick to my usual safe diet and not eat anything that will mess me up.
I miss salad! Over Christmas hubby and I went to Ottawa for a few days and one of the meals I had came with salad, I kind of just forgot that I shouldn't eat it, it was on my plate, force of habit or something, oh boy did I suffer for that.
03-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #120
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
I have been decorating my bedroom as a surprise while my husband is on holiday - so glad I have been exercising recently as I think my arms would have dropped off while painting the ceiling otherwise !
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14