Share Facebook

03-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #121
lizzy16
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Trying to get at least a half hour walk in daily as I can't get to the gym every day, took the dogs out for an hour this afternoon.

I saw the endocrinologist on Wednesday, she gave me some good advice and as long as I don't lift really heavy weights above my head (straining the back) I should be fine - yay and every time I pound the pavement now I think "Strength! Strength!"

Diagnosed with Crohn's colitis October 2011
150mg Imuran
Started Humira 40mg 26/03/13
Vit D Supplement

"There's nothing you can do that can't be done."
03-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #122
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Did the second night of run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute (5 sets)

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
03-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #123
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
You're doing great hawkeye!
I'm building up my running as well, but a lot slower than you! I don't really like it very much!
Its not so much that I'm feeling too out of breath but my leg muscles tighten up so I'm finding it quite hard.
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
03-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #124
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Try stretches after each run. I'll do about 4 different types of leg stretches after each run. I used to do calf stretches as well
03-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #125

My Support Groups:
Yeah I have been stretching afterwards. I suppose I just have to hope it keeps getting better!
03-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #126
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Today I was really unmotivated, I didn't want torun, I had a 2 hour nap this afternoon, felt worn down. But then I kicked myself out the door and ran 12km and I felt awesome. Just one of those days. :-/
03-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #127
Beach
Forum Monitor

I haven't been as motived to workout myself of late, overall. I'm always glad when I do, enjoy the exercise, like the benefits of looking healthier, but for some reason working out hasn't had its typical appeal of late. I think I figured out why this evening. I haven't weighed myself in awhile, and found I've dropped around 10lbs. Sweet! The gut has been well of late, so it's positive. Figure since being healthier, I've been using new energy to work out more frequently than in the past, and now am a bit stressed. Just a guess.
03-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #128
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Today I was really unmotivated, I didn't want torun, I had a 2 hour nap this afternoon, felt worn down. But then I kicked myself out the door and ran 12km and I felt awesome. Just one of those days. :-/
Had a nap this afternoon also....a lot of late nights this week
03-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #129

My Support Groups:
I did my resistance bands workout yesterday evening and I am not aching as much today as I was last week!! I am feeling it but luckily I can still walk around!
03-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #130
lizzy16
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Great work LMV! I had a nice celebratory lunch with my parents today (my Dad's retirement - thank goodness I can still eat grilled seafood, Crohn's won't take that from me!); while my family all curled up to sleep after lunch I took the doggies out for a nice, brisk walk for an hour. It really relaxed me and I feel good for getting active on a Sunday - back to the gym tomorrow!
03-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #131
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Did the run 3 minutes, walk a minute this morning outside - sunny and -6C (-10C) windchill. The second set was hard - must have been the hills. Going to get a couple of more 3 and 1 sessions in and them up it to 4 and 1.
03-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #132
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Did the run 3 minutes, walk a minute this morning outside - sunny and -6C (-10C) windchill. The second set was hard - must have been the hills. Going to get a couple of more 3 and 1 sessions in and them up it to 4 and 1.
Awesome, keep it up!
03-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #133
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I did my resistance bands workout yesterday evening and I am not aching as much today as I was last week!! I am feeling it but luckily I can still walk around!
Excellent! The sore muscle feeling like you can barely walk isn't much fun.
03-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #134
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm now at day 23 of my 60 day streak. Ran 46km this week. Total distance is now 133km :-)
03-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #135
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
You guys are all doing so great! I'm so proud of everyone!

Kind of a weird question, but has anyone had what seems to be an allergic reaction right after hitting the gym? Not me, but my hubby has had this happen twice now. We joined a local gym in October '12, and shortly after joining, one day hubby came out of the changing room sneezing like crazy. His sinuses were screwed up for several days, and he eventually flushed whatever it was out with a neti pot. He said it felt like "something" was in his sinuses, like something physically got in there. But nothing that we could physically see came out when he used the neti pot so we don't know what it was. After he flushed his sinuses, he was fine for months. But, this just happened again yesterday - hubby was fine during our workout, but when he came out of the men's changing room, it was sneeze city again. He tried doing the neti pot last night but it didn't help this time. He's going to try it again today. Anyway, has anybody else had a weird allergic (?) reaction to something in a gym changing room? I'm wondering if they use some weird cleaning chemical that he's reacting badly to, but it's just weird that it happened twice months apart and he was fine the majority of the times we've been to the gym. Any ideas or has this happened to anyone else?

Edited to add: He's fine when he is in the changing room to change into his gym clothes, both times it's happened as he's changing back into his street clothes after we worked out. I don't know what it's like in the men's changing room, but in the women's, they often put fresh-cut flowers in there - I don't think hubby has a flower allergy though, because he worked in a flower shop for years and was fine then. Cleaning chemicals are the only thing I can think of, but it's not like they wait months between cleaning the changing rooms, so it's just really weird.
03-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #136

My Support Groups:
Cat. I know that exercise can bring on anaphylactic food reactions. I found it out when I was doing research for my dissertation last year.
But I'm not sure if it would be the same for the sneezing type reaction!
Very strange!!
03-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #137
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Cat, do lots of lifters use chalk in your gym? The chalk always makes me sneeze like crazy.
03-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #138
Beach
Forum Monitor

Cat - I'd imagine it could be a number of items that could be bothering your husband at the gym, once cleaning up after exercising. My guess is it might be a towel he uses to wipe down with. I know of someone that as an allergy from a type of detergent used for cleaning cloths (forget which one it is this morning) that causes him to sneeze frequently, watery eyes, etc.
03-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #139
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
LMV - I don't think it's anaphylaxis! It doesn't affect his breathing, just his sinuses. He gets congested & sniffly & sneezy. I agree that it is very strange!

Alli, no chalk that I know of at my gym so it's not that. I think chalk would make me sneezy too and I never get sneezy at the gym. Sometimes my nose drips (sometimes a lot) when I'm working out, but from what I've read that's fairly normal and just a reaction to exercise itself, not a reaction to any pollutant or allergen. My nose dripping and hubby's sinus episodes are completely different though, his is way worse, he is miserable for hours/days whereas I just need a kleenex and I'm good.

Beach, our gym doesn't provide cloth towels (only paper towels to wipe down the machines) so it's not that either. I'm not sure if he brings a towel in his bag to wipe himself down with afterwards, but if so it's something from home, and he's never had an issue with the detergent I use.

Hmmmm. This is quite the mystery. Hubby works tomorrow evening so I think I'm going to sneak a look in his gym bag then and see if I can find anything in there that might be the culprit. Although I still don't understand how something could affect him so strongly months apart with him being fine for a long period in between.
03-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #140
Mary:)

My Support Groups:
OK...Im mad at myself . I was excersizing regularly and I stopped PLUS I cant seem to loose weight. I just feel blah...I start a program then I get sick with a cold or something or whatever happens. I remember when I was really sick with a flare and I weighed 100 pounds. I know that was not good but ever since my hysterectomy 2 years ago I keep gaining!!! I hate flares..but sometimes think if I could just have a "lil" flare so I could loose 25 pounds...hhmmmm.

Fistula-2010

Humira-Every 2 weeks 40mg

Prednisone drives me nuts!!!!
03-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #141
Mary:)

My Support Groups:
You guys are all doing so great! I'm so proud of everyone!

Kind of a weird question, but has anyone had what seems to be an allergic reaction right after hitting the gym? Not me, but my hubby has had this happen twice now. We joined a local gym in October '12, and shortly after joining, one day hubby came out of the changing room sneezing like crazy. His sinuses were screwed up for several days, and he eventually flushed whatever it was out with a neti pot. He said it felt like "something" was in his sinuses, like something physically got in there. But nothing that we could physically see came out when he used the neti pot so we don't know what it was. After he flushed his sinuses, he was fine for months. But, this just happened again yesterday - hubby was fine during our workout, but when he came out of the men's changing room, it was sneeze city again. He tried doing the neti pot last night but it didn't help this time. He's going to try it again today. Anyway, has anybody else had a weird allergic (?) reaction to something in a gym changing room? I'm wondering if they use some weird cleaning chemical that he's reacting badly to, but it's just weird that it happened twice months apart and he was fine the majority of the times we've been to the gym. Any ideas or has this happened to anyone else?

Edited to add: He's fine when he is in the changing room to change into his gym clothes, both times it's happened as he's changing back into his street clothes after we worked out. I don't know what it's like in the men's changing room, but in the women's, they often put fresh-cut flowers in there - I don't think hubby has a flower allergy though, because he worked in a flower shop for years and was fine then. Cleaning chemicals are the only thing I can think of, but it's not like they wait months between cleaning the changing rooms, so it's just really weird.
Cat- This is a bit unrelated but my daughter is allergic to cats. Her eyes swell and cant breathe well, sneezing, and itchy. But everytime she goes into her elective course at school in the classroom(which is once a week) she has an allergic reaction. There are no cats in there!! So I wonder the same like you do what the heck is it!!
03-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #142
Naturelover

My Support Groups:
Cat, Perhaps it's a mold issue somewhere in the gym or a dust issue and by the time he finishes in the changing room, his sinus's are really giving him a fit. Have him pay closer attention to how he feels when he first sets foot into the gym and then as time goes on in the gym. He may begin to notice that he is having some other symptoms before the sneezing starts. Many places use Frebreeze (sp?) or other scent sprays. Check with management to find out when the changing room is cleaned. Could be while hubby is in the gym. Hope you sort this out soon.
03-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #143
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks everybody. Still haven't figured out what happened with hubby - he did the neti pot multiple times but wasn't able to flush out whatever it was. He gradually got better over the past few days and is mostly back to normal now. We're planning to go back to the gym tomorrow so hopefully this weird allergy thing doesn't happen again!

How's everybody doing with their fitness goals? Alli, still going strong on the streak? Hawkeye, how's the run-walk thing going for you? How's everyone else doing? I had a bit of a rough day on Monday but pushed myself to do 45 mins on the bike anyway (I usually do an hour on the bike so I didn't do all that I usually am capable of). I'm doing the bike again tonight and I hope to do much better this time and stick it out for the full hour.
03-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #144
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Day 26! I ran 10km today, my legs felt amazing, stomach, not so much. Was late getting out (I have three days off this week, had to burn off the rest of my leave days for the FY), spent most of the morning in the bathroom, this always happens to me when I take a day off work.
03-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #145
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Speaking of bikes... I ordered another one yesterday, it should be here next week. It's a single speed, for commuting! I figure it's going to pay for itself in gas in about two months. No more fretting over the 1.30/Litre at the pump.
03-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #146
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I wish I could commute on my bike. Maybe someday. It's about 12 miles each way to work, so that'd be 24 miles round trip daily, and I just don't think I'm quite ready for that much distance daily yet. I can do 12 miles on the stationary bike and then I'm wiped out and totally gross and sweaty, so I'd have to shower when I get to work and would probably be too tired to ride home. So it's not happening just yet, but hopefully someday.
03-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #147
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My office is 2km from my house, I could walk, except my boss is in another bldg another 2km from that, and the kitchens that I manage are not close to my office either so I am always driving short distances around base. It burns a ton of gas when realistically, it would only take me a minute longer to ride around base. Plus it would be like a mini escape each time. I wear combats to work, so no need to worry about dirtying my good clothes.
03-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #148
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh, that does sound ideal for biking! The idea of a "mini-escape" from work sounds really nice too. I hope you get some nice weather for biking - they're talking about another 6 inches of snow for us this weekend. Ugh! Happy first day of spring, indeed.
03-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #149

My Support Groups:
They have said snow for us on friday too! Its strange because the blossoms and flowers have started to come out but it just does not feel like spring!

I had a good day on the bike yesterday at the gym as well. I still only did my usual 10mins which I use as like my warm up, but I finally got to try the "cross country" setting. The last few times I have tried to set it up but when you think you are about to start it just crashes and goes back to "welcome to woodlands gym" So I have just had to do a flat course. So I got to try cross country and it was all different resistances, so I was expecting not to have done as far as I had before, but I had done 3km which I was quite pleased with
03-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #150
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Been working on my exercise. Mostly a 15-25min elliptical and a round or two of some basic strength/cardio intervals.

Last night I tested the waters and did a mild/moderate 20min. bootcamp video. It felt great!

It makes me truly feel like my flare is going away to be able to do these things but I am also very aware of my limitations. Gradual progression is better than no progression or going all-in and getting sick all over again.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)