Share Facebook

04-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #241
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Wow, Peter, that's not bad for any age! Well done, and good luck with the event!
04-19-2013, 03:36 AM   #242
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
I have been building up my fitness over the last few weeks, it feels like slow progress to be honest but I always feel better for having done something.

Now I am entering a 3 hour Zumbathon for Crohns and Colitis UK and I have never Zumbered. Not sure if I have do the 3 hours straight but I must admit looking at videos on you tube has me worried

Plus the only time I have ever danced for hours on end is with a skin full of vodka or rum - not sure that's appropriate on a Saturday afternoon
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
04-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #243
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
That sounds fun Beach Bum!
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
04-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #244
smack116

My Support Groups:
Hey guys!
I'm new to the site and am totally all about health/exercise/natural remedy to cure Crohns and put us all into remission!!! Yeah!!!

I quit smoking completely (tobacco), and limit the drinking to just a few on the weekend. I jog almost every other day (about 2 miles), and do strength training every other day (for about half an hour).

What's been your guys' experience with high-intensity exercise and Crohn's? Do you feel it exacerbates the symptoms, or helps allieve them?
04-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #245
amrycrohns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It defaintly helps me not only with the crohns, but with other issues cause by crohns. If I am flarring I am carefull what I do though no squats, deadlifts or cleans. I just vary workload by how I feel.
04-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #246
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
So ive been training now for 2 months for a big mountain bike event in my city. This is the first ever event held here and it takes in the local park and the wall city itself . Reall pretty full on difficult and a bit scary . personally i think it has been the best thing for me in a long time. Training regularly definetly helps your resilience to bad times and generally you do feel more in control .Its the one thing Ive done inthe last few years that has had the biggest and most positive effect on me physically and mentally . i am far happier and fitter.
Really under pressure now to learn all the new skills and get in the zone for this .Ive added a wee pic of my latest test run - not bad for a fifty year old.
Sweet bike!
04-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #247
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hi smack116, welcome to the forum and the club. I don't doubt that exercise can help push someone towards remission, but I bristle at the term "cure" because there just isn't one yet. Semantics aside, welcome! I love strength-training too and have been lifting weights regularly for about 2 years now. I am not a fan of cardio but I make myself do either cardio or yoga on the non-weight lifting days. Usually I ride the exercise bike - I tried jogging, but my hip arthritis just won't allow it. As long as I avoid jogging, I feel like exercise makes me feel lots better. Even if I'm having a bad day, working out will make me feel better. It chases the blues away and makes me feel so much chipper too.

Alli, how's the streak going? You're just about finished with it, right? I'm assuming you're going to keep running regularly? Oh, and I forgot to ask earlier - how is your dog doing?
04-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #248
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Beach Bum, I am not a dancer either (I'm clumsy and have no rhythm!) so I feel for you on the trepidation about the Zumba-thon. I've never done Zumba myself but my sister-in-law loves it. When is the Zumba-thon? If you've got time, maybe try taking a class or two so you at least know what you're getting into. For what it's worth, my sis-in-law went from taking classes to teaching Zumba very quickly, so it seems to me like it's not too hard to learn. (Although she's always been a really good dancer...)
04-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #249
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi smack116, welcome to the forum and the club. I don't doubt that exercise can help push someone towards remission, but I bristle at the term "cure" because there just isn't one yet. Semantics aside, welcome! I love strength-training too and have been lifting weights regularly for about 2 years now. I am not a fan of cardio but I make myself do either cardio or yoga on the non-weight lifting days. Usually I ride the exercise bike - I tried jogging, but my hip arthritis just won't allow it. As long as I avoid jogging, I feel like exercise makes me feel lots better. Even if I'm having a bad day, working out will make me feel better. It chases the blues away and makes me feel so much chipper too.

Alli, how's the streak going? You're just about finished with it, right? I'm assuming you're going to keep running regularly? Oh, and I forgot to ask earlier - how is your dog doing?
I'm on day 56 :-) going pretty well but I hyper extended my Achilles last weekend, so I'm still running but cut back the total distance this week. Intestines also questionable the past few days, my sister is visiting (hence my lack of posting) and we took a road trip to see a hockey game, ended up eating some iffy food that didn't agree with me, probably doesn't help that I'm near the end of my Remicade cycle, next dose in a week and a half.

My dog is back to her old self, thank goodness!
04-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #250
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Beach Bum, I am not a dancer either (I'm clumsy and have no rhythm!) so I feel for you on the trepidation about the Zumba-thon. I've never done Zumba myself but my sister-in-law loves it. When is the Zumba-thon? If you've got time, maybe try taking a class or two so you at least know what you're getting into. For what it's worth, my sis-in-law went from taking classes to teaching Zumba very quickly, so it seems to me like it's not too hard to learn. (Although she's always been a really good dancer...)
Tried Zumba, I also have no rhythm, so I didn't enjoy it. Know lots of people who love it.
04-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #251
lizzy16
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Guys, I've been a bit quiet lately as Uni is ramping up and I've been made full time at work (yaay for money but booo for free time), but still reading all your posts. I missed the gym this week cos I slipped at work and fell on my butt (combination of new floor cleaner that left a residue and new leather shoes that hadn't been "worn in"), don't worry I'm okay but was totally embarrassed and a bit bruised on my tailbone.. Will be back at it once my butt feels up to it for lack of a better expression!!!

Diagnosed with Crohn's colitis October 2011
150mg Imuran
Started Humira 40mg 26/03/13
Vit D Supplement

"There's nothing you can do that can't be done."
04-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #252
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Lizzy, ouch! I bruised my tailbone once by sitting down too hard/fast on concrete when I was a teenager. I still remember that pain, so I feel for you! Not fun. I hope the tailbone feels better soon!
04-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #253
grumpygut

My Support Groups:
Hi, I'm a born again fitness nut. Breast cancer forced me to get serious about exercise. Hopefully it'll work for this stuff too.

Must do yoga today...
04-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #254
grumpygut

My Support Groups:
How come I'm still not subscribed to this group? I hit reply but there's no subscribe button.
04-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #255
Artisan105
Yondaime

My Support Groups:
In the morning do 5-10 minutes of sit ups, push ups, etc. Later in the afternoon on M-W-F do the Insanity Workout for 30-40 minutes. T-Th play basketball with friends for 2-3 hours. Sometimes instead of basketball I go swimming with my baby niece.

Oh grumpygut you are from Auburn Washington! My fellow Washingtonian! I grew up in Washington. I lived in Federal Way, Washington Exit 143. We are neighbors! Went to Federal Way High School. Then went to University of Washington- Seattle.

Always nice to meet people from Washington. Much love & grace.

Current Meds:
(Remission)
-Asacol 400mg 2/day.
-Remicade 500mg 8weeks(IV).

My Crohn's Story:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost....29&postcount=1

My Suggestions:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost....43&postcount=2

My Music List:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost....72&postcount=1
04-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #256

My Support Groups:
grumpyguts, do you not see a subscribe button at the top of this page on the left hand side, next to "post reply"?
If you see "unsubscribe" then you are subscribed to it.
If you don't see it I'll report the post and someone will be able to look into it.
04-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #257
grumpygut

My Support Groups:
Artisan, nice to meet you too.
Little Miss Valentine, yes, I see the button now, thanks. All's good.
04-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #258
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Day 58 of my streak today. Mileage wasn't quite so high this week, wasn't feeling so great for a few days, but I did do my longest run since my comeback today, and it was a decent pace, 18kms, 1hr,27mins. It was a negative split run, so I started slower and came back strong.
04-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #259
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Been trying out a bit of Zumba on the Wii - it's deceptively tiring so 3 hours is going to be fun. But there is no backing out now as people have started sponsoring me

I seem to be suffering a bit with my back today , the Zumba is the only different thing I have been doing so I have to blame that, going to do some more yoga to try to counter act it.
04-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #260
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Off running until the GI consult on Thursday and I figure out what is going on. Registered for a 5k next month.

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
04-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #261
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hawkeye, good luck tomorrow. Keep us posted on what your GI says.

Alli, is the streak over? I presume you're still running though? Training for a race?

I have not been doing so well lately - I tried switching from Asacol to Asacol HD, but that did not go well at all, so now I'm trying out Delzicol. My guts are not pleased with all these medication switches lately. Still, I've been working out every day regardless. And I always feel better - mentally, guts-wise, arthritis-wise, you name it - after a workout. So even though I'm feeling crappy, I am glad that I always push myself to go to the gym, because I swear sometimes that feels like the only thing that's holding me together.
04-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #262
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Cat, hope you find something that works for you!

Yesterday was the last day of my streak. I took a rest day today, but I will continue to train, will be running a marathon this fall. Racing a 10km on Saturday.
04-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #263
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Cat, hope you find something that works for you!

Yesterday was the last day of my streak. I took a rest day today, but I will continue to train, will be running a marathon this fall. Racing a 10km on Saturday.
Good luck on the 10K.

I might try to get out this weekend.
04-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #264
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good luck on the 10K.

I might try to get out this weekend.
Thanks, I will let you all know how it goes. I am also volunteering at the half marathon on Sunday morning.
04-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #265
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
It's SO nice out, finally! It took forever but it's finally really feeling like springtime. I was able to go outside today without a jacket for the first time in ages. I'm so looking forward to taking a nice long bike ride tomorrow.
04-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #266
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Pulled a 35 lb. toddler around the block in a wagon before supper. It was almost too warm in a fleece - I think Spring is here
04-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #267
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hawkeye, good luck tomorrow. Keep us posted on what your GI says.
Sent for bloodwork and a CT Scan. Had the bloodwork today, waiting on the CT Scan to be scheduled.
04-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #268
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My 10km was this evening. It was a hilly course, but the weather was perfect. My stomach cooperated too. I had an 8 second personal best for a time of 42:16, considering the course, I was happy with my time. Also I was first place female, mostly because he fat runners do the half on Sunday. My intestines had been revolting since the race though, Been to the bathroom more than a dozen times, I lost count actually after 10, mostly now just passing blood and mucous. Ugh!
04-28-2013, 04:33 AM   #269

My Support Groups:
Congrats! I hope you start feeling better soon!
04-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #270
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Did a 16 minute (4 sets of 4) run today, still working up to running 10 minutes straight. Felt better today, weather was great. Spent the better part of the afternoon outside putting new fabric and mulch down in the backyard garden.