Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Thrush around Stoma

02-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Thrush around Stoma

I have the itchiness, stingiest ? Thrush infection in the area around my Stoma. It sits under the base plate and itches like hell. I spoke to the Stoma nurse, 4 hours away and she recommended using an over the counter tinea foot powder. Unfortunately I have relief for about an hour and then it starts itching like mad. The skin is very red and I am worried that it is going to start weeping. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am seeing my GP today. I have a shopping list of problems to go through. I have a boil under my arm, my butt wound needs checking, as I am back getting it packed and dressed everyday as per phone orders from surgeon, and I had a fall yesterday and now have a puffed up knee and think I may have pinched something in my back!!! Just can't seem to get a break at the moment. Sorry, just need a moan as I dare not even groan in front of my family or they all get too worried and make me feel awful. They have been through enough, actually so have I and most of us. Think the dark cloud is starting to form, think I need to get out side and smell the roses.

: Janette

I meant to have Jano as my user name, but did a typo!
02-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
GutlessWonder86
Forum Monitor

try some stomahesive powder by Hollister or Convatec. dab a little on the area, brush off excess and apply your paste then wafer, and then put your bag on. press around the stoma so there is a seal. put hand over area to warm it and seals better as well.

this should help you out:

http://www.convatec.com/en/cvtus-typ...-problems.html

http://www.convatec.com/en/cvtus-pro...products.html/[link-product-fc300]?franchise=46&search=powder
02-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I don't think stomahesive powder is going to help thrush, though.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
02-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
GutlessWonder86
Forum Monitor

oops, I meant Nystatin powder will. You need a script from the doctor so you can get it at the pharmacy.

And Kenalog spray for the redness and itching. You need an Rx for that too.

spray first then add the Nystatin powder. Brush off excess, then use skin prep if needed to seal it in, then once it's dry apply wafer and bag as normal.
02-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Humm, I don't know if that could be a good idea but what I am thinking is using canesoral if it does not interact with your medication or condition. Here, pharmacist can sell it without a script. I don't know if it is the same in Australia though.

Maybe it is a bit invasive to treat local thrush but I don't see how you can get rid of it with tinea foot powder as you need multiple local application a day... generally 4 times with mouth thrush for instance. It makes it hard with the appliance and all.

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)
02-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
annawato

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Janette I found the following two exerpts for you before getting called away so will write more later - I'm sure I've read more about how to deal with peristomal thrush, just have to find where.
Candidal Infection

Candida albicans is part of normal intestinal flora. However, overgrowth in the peristomal skin is the most common infection. This is thought to be due to the breakdown in the normal skin barrier due to use of antibiotics, extensive cleansing with solvents to remove appliance components, contact dermatitis as described above, and the warm moist environment found under the appliance. The appearance can be similar to contact dermatitis, but often is more raised and the edges will demonstrate well-circumscribed papules and pustules, or satellite lesions. Treatment is achieved with the application of antifungal powder prior to placement of the appliance. Antifungal creams may also be effective, but they often interfere with adherence of the appliance and must dry fully prior to placement.

and-

Cutaneous candiditis presents as reddened, shiny patches with satellite papules and pustules, regular or irregular borders (Fig. 1). Based on a Cochrane review, the use of azoles such as miconazole and clotrimazole are best first-line treatments. These are cost effective, accessible, and do not require a prescription. The allylamines, such as Lamisil® (Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp., East Hanover, NJ) are suggested for patients who fail or are resistant to over-the-counter agents. Drugs in this category generally are more costly.8 Antifungal powder can be applied to skin, rubbed in gently, and followed by a skin sealant. Once the sealant is dry the pouch can be placed.

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
02-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I was wondering about the canesoral also. I've seen the GP and he has prescribed the powder but say to apply it 4 times daily? Hello that's alot of changes, also said to let area air!!! Hmm I could paint the whole house in output! Unfortunately miss piggy is too active for that! I will let you know how the canesoral goes. Will also call dr and see if I can get some kenalog spray. Thanks all for the advice. Geez it's itchy. If all else fails I will need cotton mittens so I don't scratch!!
02-26-2013, 03:28 AM   #8
annawato

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
i imagine it must be driving you mad! I'm itchy just fro the tegaderm covering my wound and thats nothing like thrush itch. Did the doctor even realise it would be impossible to air or put the powder on 4 times a day? I really hope it improves quickly but with the heat you have been having lately that will be hard.
YOu really have been in the wars lately, so its quite ok to have a moan - we can all take it turns, last week was mine this week is yours.
02-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Ok so now the pharmacy cannot supply the powder as they have told me that it is not made here in powder form anymore. That has almost broken me. I need this itchiness to go. As for Kenalog the pharmacist looked at me like I had two heads. When I explained why I needed the powder she said I should just use the cream and apply it more often! What part of Stoma, adhesives and needing something to stay stuck so I don't get runny smelly poop everywhere. I just wanted to cry. Do any Australians on here have this problem or have another idea that may help.

I have taken a canesoral so hopefully that will kick it, fingers crossed.
02-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #10
annawato

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
i have no idea Janette. i have been told that mylanta is good to use under the flange to soothe the skin. I'd imagine calomine lotion could help too since it dries chalky. I'll ask my community nurse tomorrow if she has any suggestions - assuming I get the one who knows all the old wives tales. In the meantime I'll put my thinking cap on.
Poor you. It really is not your week!

Last edited by annawato; 02-26-2013 at 04:09 AM.
02-26-2013, 03:44 AM   #11
annawato

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I just remembered a doctor I had a few years ago, who was just fantastic but unfortunately moved away, recommended using Condys crystals for a fungal infection I had on my feet. It worked like magic. maybe it would help with candida too. The reason I though of it is that the crystals are dissolved in water and so there is no oily residue. You just buy them at the chemist, or I did about 15 years ago. God it seems like yesterday but it really was that long ago. Anyway I'll google it and see what I can find out.

Condys crystals = potassium permanganate
02-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #12
annawato

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
here is one source advocating their use I found- note it says weak solution.
http://www.agale.com.au/ALGcondys.htm
also
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/what-...-used-for.html
and
http://www.livestrong.com/article/24...-permanganate/

Potassium permanganate is dissolved in warm water to come up with a nice pink colored solution which is then ideal for treatment of skin conditions such as dermatitis, eczema, and fungal infections of the hands and feet.

Immersion in potassium permanganate has been proven to be effective for skin conditions but this is largely unpopular because of the stains and discolorations it leaves on the bathing materials such as towels and the bath tub. This can be addressed, however, with dissolving the right amount of crystals. A concentration of 1:10,000 will result to a pink color. Using too much and the water goes black and results to a rather nice but fake tan.

A weak solution of potassium permanganate has been formerly used as an antiseptic wash for vaginal thrush, vulvovaginitis as well as persistent urine infection in both children and adults. It has also been applied as a vaginal douche after childbirth way before the use of antibiotics.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2314708
02-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Interesting!
02-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
annawato

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Yes, hopefully I'm not poisoning her!
02-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Its seems a little better now, and the pharmacy has rang to let me know that she can divide an oral capsule, "if I really need it". I just said well if I hadnt had a problem, and seen the doctor and had him perscribe it them maybe i wouldnt need it, and YES I do need it. That was followed by "will tommorrow be OK for this?" At that stage I just said if thats the soonest you can do it then OK. Had a coffee with my GP, told him what had happened and he rang. Apparently the powder will be ready when i finish work this afternoon. YAAAYYY
02-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
YaY!!
02-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #17
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
So, NO, apparently powder discontinued in Australia. Pharmacist couldn't split ball I capsule to get correct dosage, so now I am taking nil stat orally.

Area seems less red, still itchy though. So at change time I am very tempted to scratch the rap out of it, but figure that will just make it worse!
02-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #18
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Well, crap on a stick! You definitely have my sympathies, though that won't do you much good...
03-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #19
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I've been taking nilstat tablets 2 3 times a day for a week, and it doesn't seem to be budging. I'm showering bag less, changing everyday, applying clomitriazonale cream before and after shower, but it still not working. I am just one step away from ripping the bag off and shredding the skin scratching.

HELP any advice greatly appreciated.
03-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
LOSTnut
Poopy

I have had some success by changing the shower gel to Cetaphil for eczema. It seems to soothe the skin. After the shower I apply some Triamcinolone actinide cream on the itching areas and tab off any excess before putting on the wafer. I am currently back on 2 day changes (was on 3 before.) I tried all the powders and Nystatin cream before without much success, so this is a big step for me.
Good luck to you!

Diagnosed: April 2005

Back on Asacol

Dec 2010: colostomy/resection - failed
Jan 2011: Ileostomy
Resection planned for: sometime
03-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #21
katiesue1506

I was told to eat a lot of yogurt (probiotics) and try Lamisil foot powder if I ever got a yeast infection.

I'm pretty sure I got one a week before reversal because the itching was HORRIBLE. I didn't have time to figure it out and treat it though.

ETA: even though its good to shower, keeping the area dry will help curb the yeast. I'm wondering if the creams are making a moist environment too. I'm just throwing out ideas here though... not a doctor.

Last edited by katiesue1506; 03-05-2013 at 12:06 PM.
03-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
Nyx

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I just had to join the thread to say hi to Heike again! Haven't seen you around in ages! Hope you're doing well

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

03-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #23
Bottomless mummy

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Sudo cream is good, there's also a spray your stomach therapist can help you with I've had bad problems with itchy ness. I find having a shower with the flange off helps. Just under running water....helps clean bacteria off. Try not to use stoma adhesive removal wipes because that ca irritate it. Also try keeping your flange on as long as possible. Then more times you remove it the more you are removing the good healing skin. Coloplast conva cream is also good for the itchy ness. Basically anything with a zink base formula. Any nappy rash cream off the shelf works also. You can apply these let dry a bit and the place wafer on. If you try and do it so the barrier around stoma sticks and the outside then you'll get the relief, hope this helps. I've kind of gone all over the place because ill think of something new lol.
03-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #24
annawato

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Oh Janette I'm so sorry its still itchy. Have you tried the condys crystals? At least ask your GP or chemist what they think. I know they helped me with fungal infection of the feet. Also maybe mercurochrome? It helps dry the skin out. But don't use it for too long as it contains mercury.
anna
03-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #25
LOSTnut
Poopy

Hi Nyx,
yes, I was doing pretty good overall until this skin thing started several months back. I hope you and Oscar are enjoying life to the fullest

And, I so know where you are coming from regarding the itching, yesterday mine started up again, not quite sure why. At least today I am seeing my GP again and maybe, maybe he can tell me something new that I haven't tried before. I am ready to see a dermatologist that specializes in stoma skin -- well, if we have one here.
By the way, I also tried Witch Hazel, which seems to help dry out the skin, changing the application from Convatec to Hollister, the foot itch powder, Nystatin and the one pill yeast infection treatment. Oh and sampling from every manufacturer that is out there, every product that promised to stay on longer than a day. Everything seemed to help a couple of days in making it better but never go away.
03-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #26
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Sorry to hear lostnut. I'm trying everything also. Think I will change brands next order just to see if that helps.
03-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #27
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Just spoke to Stoma nurse. She said to try- a fine layer of stomahesive powder then some myalanta, dry it with a hair dryer and then apply the flange. Just heading out to buy some myalanta. Fingers crossed.

Have tried the one day thrush tablet, followed by a course of nilstat tablets. I think the ego court cream may have helped. Problem is cant get appliance to stick for longer than a day. Skin shiney and peeling at edges. So lifts at edge where skin peeling and the pops straight off the shiney skin.

Will let you know how the myalanta goes.
03-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I forgot about using Mylanta. I have heard of that before. Good luck!!
03-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #29
annawato

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
i thought of Mylanta too but didn't know it helped with yeast infections. However I was just down at my chemist and asked their advice. They suggested the following:
1. A solution of Condys crystals- mix tiny bit with water so pale pink colour
2. Resolve tinea powder which is miconazole
3. Daktarin solution (again miconazole I think)
4. Lamisil spray which is terbinafine hydrochloride.
The Daktarin tincture has alcohol in it so would be a bit stingy.
These were what they could think of that wouldn't affect adherence of the flange.
Hopefully the mylanta will do the trick but if not these are some other things that might help. If you can't get them locally yourself I could send them to you so just let me know if you need me to. Good luck.
anna
03-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #30
Susan2

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
My two suggestions would only work if you can leave the stoma bag off long enough for them to dry:
1. Yoghurt - my female doctor swears by yoghurt for thrush - plain yoghurt, of course, and organic or biodynamic if possible. She gives her female patients a syringe to insert it in the appropriate place! Now, if you "painted" it over the area and let it dry, your bag should stick to it .
2. Calamine lotion - again you need to let it dry. And don't put it on too thickly or it could just lift off.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Thrush around Stoma