Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's with C-Diff Support Group

04-01-2015, 11:03 PM   #61
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
Why do I share my feelings and my life with my sister. I told her about my c-diff in an e-mail to her and she said "keep me posted" and "maybe you will feel better". I sent her the c-diff article from the Mayo Clinic website. I bet she did not even read it. Why am I so stupid. I am tired.
Good Night.😴
04-02-2015, 12:24 AM   #62
Gra

My Support Groups:
You are looking for support, for someone to care. We care.

SURGERY: 6 Aug 2013: Ileostomy, Temporary stoma.
29 Oct 2013: takedown.
23 Jan 2015: in remission - my goal is to stay there.

"What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!"
04-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #63
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
I just started Flagyl this morning.
Hope you have a good Easter weekend.
04-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #64
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
I just found out I have c-diff a few days ago and my PCP put me on Flagyl until I can see my new Gastroenterologist on April 9th.

Since I found out I had the c-diff the only toilet I have used is my own in my apartment.
I am infectious. I am disabled so I have just been staying at home because of the c-diff.

What happens if I am at the doctors office and I have to have a bowel movement and I am infectious !!!!!!!!!!!! The whole restroom would have to be sanitized !!!!!!!
I don't think I can drive across town, fill out paperwork, have my appointment, and drive back to my apartment without using a restroom.

I need answers : - 0
04-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #65
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
Ok. I just started to feel wierd and nauseous and then I looked at my pupils and they look larger that normal. Is this a side effect of Flagyl ?
04-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #66
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
These stories don't give me much hope that my c-diff is going to go away with just a ten day course of Flagyl. I had a normal colonoscopy in August 2014. But then took some antibiotics in November 2014. I had a stool sample lab test on March 31st, 2015. Maybe I have had the c-diff since last year ? I started the Flagyl on April 4th, 2015. I am really not looking forward to my new GI appointment tomorrow. Thanks for listening. I have written a lot this week because I am depressed about the c-diff. I have so many other health issues that I don't know if I can handle one more. Good Night.
04-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #67
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
Ok. I have to wait until tomorrow night for my Vancomycin. I get 56 pills, a 2 week supply and it will cost me $405.00 and I HAVE health insurance.

The more I read about the c-diff on the Internet the more confused and frustrated I am getting. Am I dying ? Is this a big deal ? If it is a big deal why did I have to wait for a week to see a Gastroenterologist and then another 5 days for the Vancomycin. I picked up a copy of my lab stool test and that is confusing too. After 2 weeks and $405.00 how is my Gastroenterologist going to tell if I am "cured" ???? I cannot take my Questran while taking the Vancomycin. If I don't take my Questran I have very horrible diarrhea. I have been on the Questran for several years now. If I have to continue antibiotics after the 2 week period then it is going to start costing me a fortune.

These doctors are confusing me and don't tell me anything ( like your stool sample should not be over 2 hours old or the test results can come out wrong?) Doctors have not given me any print-outs about what c-diff is, about making sure everything is sanitized, giving c-diff to others, re-infecting myself, am I gonna die, is this a big deal, blah, blah, blah. I give up. I want to be informed and I am reading as much as I can so that I can be a responsible patient/person. Even I had to call my Pharmacy to double check to see if they got the prescription/final approval. At first, tonight, they told me they did not get it but then 2 minutes later they said they found it. Why do I have to do the work for other people.

Good Night.😴 I have a headache now.
04-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #68
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
A very informative article about C. diff. infection:
Clostridium difficile outbreaks: prevention and treatment strategies
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3401971/

From the article:

The life cycle of C. difficile begins in the spore form. These spores are easily transmitted as they are resistant to heat, acid, and antibiotics. The spores can remain viable for months outside of the human body. In the hospital, they can be found on bedding, furniture, medical equipment, as well as on the skin and jewelry of caregivers.8 Once ingested, the spores pass through the upper digestive tract into the intestines where they can germinate and colonize the colon. A study showed that 21% of patients receiving antibiotics and admitted to a general medical ward were colonized by this bacterium.9 Healthy individuals are usually protected from CDI by the normal bacterial flora of the gut, which resists C. difficile’s colonization and growth. Disruption of the normal microflora by antibiotics allows C. difficile to proliferate, produce toxins, and cause disease.10 C. difficile induces diarrhea and colitis through the release of two protein exotoxins, toxin A and toxin B. Greater than 60% of the population has serum and colonic antibody responses to these toxins.11,12 Low or absent concentrations of serum IgG antibody against C. difficile toxins has been shown to confer a greater risk of CDI among hospitalized patients who become colonized by this bacterium.13 Toxigenic C. difficile can be identified in more than 95% of pseudomembranous colitis cases and in 15%–25% of antibiotic-associated diarrhea cases.14,15
---------
--------
The role of probiotics in the prevention of C. difficile remains unclear.60,61 There are many studies in the literature regarding probiotics in the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea, but fewer studies looking at probiotics in the prevention of CDI. In 2004, Plummer et al reported a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial examining the role of probiotics (Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium) in the prevention of CDI.62 In this study, 150 consecutive patients receiving antibiotic therapy were randomized to receiving the probiotic or placebo. The results showed that, on the basis of developing diarrhea, only 2.9% of stool samples in the probiotic group were positive for C. difficile-associated toxins versus 7.25% in the placebo-controlled group. Despite this finding, the total number of patients who tested positive for C. difficile was actually higher in the probiotic group (n = 11) than in the placebo group (n = 9), so the effect of the probiotic in this study is uncertain. S. boulardii does not appear to be effective in primary prevention of CDI.33,63 At this time, there is insufficient evidence to support the widespread use of probiotics for the primary prevention of CDI. Larger randomized control trials are needed to support its use.
04-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #69
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
Thank U.
04-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #70
Crohnsveteran

My Support Groups:
I am so glad I found this support group. I am new and I just asked in my story what the connection between Cdiff and Crohn's is.
05-03-2015, 12:04 AM   #71
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
I was diagnosed with C-diff in April.
My new Gastroenterologist prescribed me Vancimycin, 4 times a day, for 14 days.
I finished my medicine and saw him for a follow up.
He is satisfied with my C-diff treatment.
He said that I do not have to return to see him unless I am having problems with my symptoms.
My Gastroenterologist did not have me give another stool sample after my Vancomycin to make sure the C-diff is really gone and that sort of bothers me.
What do you guys think ?
Should I ask for another stool sample test to make sure I really don't have the C-diff anymore ?
I would really like to be tested again because I suffer from Anxiety and I know that I am going to continue to worry until I see the proof that I no longer have the C-diff.
Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks !
PS: If you want to know my whole story, I have a thousand long posts on here that describe my C-diff story. : - )
Thanks for listening.
05-03-2015, 12:14 AM   #72
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
PSS: I started to take the Culturelle probiotics once a day. I was having terrible air/gas for several days. I have never had gas smell so bad......it was nasty ! Is this a side effect from the Culturelle ? I read the label and it does say that I can have gas from the Culturelle but it will eventually go away. But the label, of course, doesn't say how long it will take for the air/nasty gas to go away. One week. Two months. What ?

Good Night.
05-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #73
peluchde

My Support Groups:
Ann, you will know when the C-Diff is gone. Stools are a different color, smell changes, pain is gone, and you can leave the bathroom. Hang in there! Took me, a while and lots of meds, but it's gone. I did give another sample.
05-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #74
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
Ann, you will know when the C-Diff is gone. Stools are a different color, smell changes, pain is gone, and you can leave the bathroom. Hang in there! Took me, a while and lots of meds, but it's gone. I did give another sample.
Thank You for your response. I will wait a couple of weeks and then if I still feel uncomfortable about not being re-tested I can always call my Gastroenterologist and ask him to re-test me. I was not really having any crazy symptoms before I got tested with the C-diff on March 31st, just the diarrhea (?). But I have had diarrhea for many years.
05-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #75
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
Glad I found this support group I have had Cdiff 3 years ago whilst in hospital , it cleared up quickly, I recently (may) had some antibiotics because of my excema becoming infected which I turn brough C-diff back into my life was hospitalized in June with it, now July and had a few courses of metronidazole and have had 2 negative stool samples , my only problems is , the minute I finish a course of antibiotics the symptoms start again (explosive D - too the point that I'm having accidents , nausea, fever) my doctor isn't being massively helpful , there is another antiobiotic that they can try but he said it's very strong so not yet. I've been off work for 3 weeks now (I work in healthcare so their very strict about working with this condition) am very fed up now , I just want to be well again
My PCP gave me Flagyl and I had diarrhea every day that I was on it.....six days ! My new Gastroenterologist prescribed me Vancomycin. The Vancomycin had to be Authorized by my Health Insurance Company before they would let the Pharmacy fill my Vancomycin prescription. PLUS, it was very expensive for me, even though my Insurance Company paid 67 percent of the cost. I paid 33 percent of the cost.......$405.22....for a two week supply ( four pills a day for fourteen days ). I had to take it, so I paid the price.
05-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #76
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
My father is in the hospital and c diff test came back positive. He has had 3 bouts of c diff already and I am pushing for the fecal transplant. He is scared and depressed and the doctors are going to release him tomorrow. The GI's that he is seeing do not perform the fecal transplant and the Mayo clinic will not take Bluecross Blueshield. He is having horrible cramps and having too many accidents. He is now 115 lbs and is gagging on food. What can I do??
Do you mean the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota or Arizona ? Insurance companies suck. I know that my Insurance Company helps me a lot ( there was a time when I had NO health insurance ) but the cost the patient has to pay now-a-days is getting higher and higher. Not to mention that stupid "coverage gap" for my prescription medications ! Take Care and keep sharing with us. I would like to know more about FMT too.
05-08-2015, 12:55 AM   #77
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
It is me again. I finished my vancomycin on april 29. Saw my doctor on april 30. Based on our conversation he said he was satisfied with my vancomycin c-diff treatment. He did not re-test me. For the last four days i have been keeping track of my bowel activity, just so i have some sort of record on how i am feeling since finishing the vancomycin. I am very uncomfortable that i was not re-tested and i won't be able to feel comfortable until i get re-tested. How could i get rid of the c-diff in just two weeks ? I am having gas, air, loose bowels, smelly bowel movements, indigestion/heartburn, gurgling, bloating. Does the c-diff make your bowel movements smell really bad ? Or does the vancomycin make it smell bad ? Or is my new probiotic making my bm's smell real bad ? I have bad smelling gas as well. I am going to wait until monday and then i think i am going to call my doctor and ask him to re-test me. One day i had 6 bowel movements and was very miserable. Today i only had three little bm's but that is because i hardly ate anything yesterday. Today the only solid food i had was my rice/milk/cinnamon and sugar thing and a few crackers with a little cheese. I am hungry but then another part of me is not hungry....huh ? I had better go to bed now.......too many worries.
05-11-2015, 11:08 PM   #78
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
It is May 11th. The other day I called my Gastroenterologist office. I wanted to ask my doctor again if I should be re-tested for my C-diff. The office gal took down my information, she talked to the doctor, then she called me back. Gastroenterologist still says I don't need to be re-tested after having my 14 day Vancomycin antibiotic treatment. I am going to call my PCP tomorrow to see what HE thinks about me being re-tested. I have read every post here and did not recall anyone getting rid of their C-diff after one course of treatment. I have had diarrhea for years due to my Ulcerative Colitis. I have been staying home since I got diagnosed on April 1st ( except to the doctor. ) I do not want to infect anyone. I know that I write on here constantly, but that is because this C-diff is something new to me and also in the past I have not been proactive in educating myself about my different health issues ( I just did what the doctors told me to do with no questions).

Have a great week. : - )
05-12-2015, 02:35 AM   #79
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have never been retested for C-Diff. I would think that they are very sure of the efficacy of medications for this, otherwise they would ask everyone back to be retested. No point in half treating a patient.
05-12-2015, 03:18 AM   #80
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
I have never been retested for C-Diff. I would think that they are very sure of the efficacy of medications for this, otherwise they would ask everyone back to be retested. No point in half treating a patient.
Thank you for your input.
I just want to get my life back together right now.
I am disabled, so I don't go to a job, but I was doing
something on a regular weekly basis before I got the
C-diff. Now that my Gastroenterologist says that
I am okay, then I can resume my activities now.

I suffer from Major Depression and I have been
at home for six weeks and I think being alone for
6 weeks is getting to me. Hopefully this Monday
I will be socializing several days a week again. I
could not be around the facility/program that I go
to because I was infectious with the C-diff.

Lots of activity and craziness at my apartment
complex too now, so I HAVE to get away from this
place more often ! Thanks for listening. Weather is
great here now. : - )
05-12-2015, 03:19 AM   #81
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
Does the c-diff make your bowel movements smell really bad ? Or does the vancomycin make it smell bad ? Or is my new probiotic making my bm's smell real bad ?
It is most probably clostridium difficile.
05-21-2015, 10:23 PM   #82
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
Can C-diff come back ? And if it does is it worse than the first time around ? After having it in April I wash my hands even more than I ever did before ! I am more conscious about cleanliness and germs and cross-contamination and all that.
Good Night for now.
07-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #83
rru

My Support Groups:
Hey Emily!
I am really new to Crohns as well and your story resonates with mine. I got C-Diff from an antibiotic and then did a colonoscopy and got diagnosed with crohns thereafter. How are you doing on the Imuran?
07-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #84
rru

My Support Groups:
Hey everyone,

I am very new to Crohn's, so new that I am still in the stages of denial. I first had C-Diff did the colonoscopy and was diagnosed with Crohns thereafter. I desperatly miss my old life where i could drink two coffees a day, pizza, dessert, and still go out drinking that night. Crohns feels like its slowing down my life, I am used to a high paced life. Not being able to consume what I want has brought a negative effect on my once so optimistic mood. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how they deal with this.

Thanks
08-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #85
heartsnstars4e

My Support Groups:
In the past 6 months I have had c diff. Diverticulosis ( hospitalized) Now I was just diagnosed with Crohns. My insides are a total mess. I still have the c diff too. I have been on and off vancomycin since last december
10-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #86
lookame

My Support Groups:
I have c-diff again ugh
10-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #87
peluchde

My Support Groups:
So sorry to hear this. It's one of my fears. Hang in there!
10-08-2015, 06:31 AM   #88
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I always get a tad paranoid with loo's in the gastroenterology dept. I swear every time I visit I end up with c-diff or rotavirus or norovirus and the like.
10-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #89
lookame

My Support Groups:
I think I got my first infection from the hospital after I had my baby. Im used to passing blood as part of having crohns. I also had several infections after having her (mastitis, uterine infection ect) One day I developed a 102 degree fever and my left side starting really hurting and then I got the diagnosis of cdiff. This time I was seeing a new GI so he ran a bunch of tests as a new patient thing and bam...cdiff not more than 6 months after my first infection.

Still not sure how I got this infection or even how I got my first infection...or even how to get rid of this stupid infection..m
10-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #90
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think any loo in a medical place is a bad idea for us Crohnies, but what are we to do. Try not going to the loo, lol. C-diff does seem to come back though.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's with C-Diff Support Group