Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Stomach constantly making noises

03-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
kiik

My Support Groups:
Stomach constantly making noises

Hi everyone,
So lately my symptoms aren't too bad, but my stomach/intestines are constantly making very loud growling/gurgling noises. Usually I can feel them coming as a bit of a build-up of pressure or air or something. Occasionally they hurt a bit but not always.

My main problem is that I'm in university and it keeps happening in quiet classrooms - very embarrassing! Any ideas for how to stop this? It seems to happen all the time whether I eat a lot or a little.
03-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Unfortunately I have this problem too and my belly likes to speak up during meetings or at the worst times. It doesn't work for me but you can try gasX?
03-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
SarahBear

My Support Groups:
Oh, dear. This used to happen to me all the time in high school. I'm glad it's calmed down since then - it was very, very awkward in quiet classrooms!

I didn't find anything to really help, but I did find that wearing more layers muffled the noise a little. Of course, that's only practical in cold, quiet classrooms.

Just wanted to offer a little support. I hope you find something to help!

Sarah.
Diagnosed with Crohn's disease 12/6/08.
Have taken: Prednisone, 6mp, methotrexate, Pentasa.
Currently waiting for a new medication!

Check out the Crohn's forum chat!

03-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
KWalker

I can understand what you're going through as well because this happens to me while I'm sitting in lecture packed with 1500 other kids. For me though I notice it happens when I'm hungry. It sounds obvious because everyone says they're stomach "talks" to them when they need food but for mine it's more than just a little growl, it's annoying lol.

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
03-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
scoutfinch

My Support Groups:
Ahh, the lovely social problems associated with IBD's. Sorry I can't offer any type of medical solution - perhaps your doctor can provide a suggestion on that front. However, you can try wearing layers, as SarahBear mentioned, or perhaps hold your schoolbag over your belly to muffle the noises? Also, have a few lighthearted quips on hand should any students nearby give you any looks. Maybe "Sorry, my stomach doesn't seem to be enjoying this lecture very much". That's lame, but I'm sure you can come up with something more clever. Good luck!
03-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Talaia

This happens to me too, it is awful during exams! Unfortunately, I have also not found a solution. This doesn't help for lectures, but for exams at my university you can write them at the office for students with disabilities. Then there aren't thousands of people listening and you can also have stopwatch time, which is nice if you need to leave frequently. Maybe your university has something similar? For me it is worse when I have just eaten, so I guess it depends on the person.
03-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Dixiedoll23

My Support Groups:
My stomach does this all the time as well.Like it's constantly upset and telling me all about it. LOL
A couple of weeks ago, the family and I were all watching a movie, I was sitting next to my husband on the couch when my stomach decided to let everyone know exactly how it felt inside.My husband immediately got startled and said "Did you hear that?WTF was that?" OMGosh the look he had on his face, I will never forget and it cracks me up everytime I think about it.I told him it was my stomach, he said he thought it was the dog growling. LOL
It is embarrasing though.I think we just notice it more in a quiet setting.

Currently dealing with another obstruction.Don't know what the plan is yet.Surgery or? I don't know of any other options....
My Meds;
Prednisone 20mg
Vitamin D (50,000 units)
Tramadol 50 mg
Butran patch 15 mcg
Imuran
Gabapentin
03-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #8
Jam300

My Support Groups:
I stopped taking my probiotic pills four days ago after taking two a day for around a month. Since then my stomach's not made a so much as a gurgle and i've not farted once, coincidence?
Currently undergoing re-assessment.
03-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
bigtruck

Very common problem unfortunately, maybe try different foods/ juices etc for breakfast and see if it makes a difference, keep a food diary for a few weeks and see if you notice a pattern.
03-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
Lustforlife

I like to call it the Belly Beat Box.

Always happens right after I drink my morning shake, and its crazy sometimes.

I do take a probiotic. Jordan's comment has me wondering now...
03-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Jam300

My Support Groups:
I like to call it the Belly Beat Box.

Always happens right after I drink my morning shake, and its crazy sometimes.

I do take a probiotic. Jordan's comment has me wondering now...
Don't get me wrong i'm not claiming that is the only reason or that probiotics are evil or anything, I had gurgling in my stomach long before I started using them. But I do wonder if once they've done their work with regards to restoring gut flora, continued use of probiotics causes an overload of intestinal bacteria, which then results in excess gas and noise.

The ever-expanding Crohnie puzzle, ey
03-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Don't get me wrong i'm not claiming that is the only reason or that probiotics are evil or anything, I had gurgling in my stomach long before I started using them. But I do wonder if once they've done their work with regards to restoring gut flora, continued use of probiotics causes an overload of intestinal bacteria, which then results in excess gas and noise.

The ever-expanding Crohnie puzzle, ey
I think continued use is important because it's a constant battle between the "good" and "bad" bacteria.

Belly beat box is a hilarious way to out our stomach noises!
03-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
pottydweller

Yesssssssssssssss I have the same thing going on. I just make light of it . Ive been told to "go F******** eat something Ive had concern, Ive had people walk away so they dont catch it. Ive had people look around to see where the noise is coming from Ive even been asked to leave a room as I was disturbing the class. Nothing stops it so I have learn't to enjoy messing with peoples heads. Aliens are a good excuse and the one I use most often to lighten the moment. The people not coping with my noises then start to think I'm mental and don't worry about the gurgling belly.
03-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I get this too, usually when I am either A. Trying to fall asleep, I'm a light sleeper and gut noises don't help or B. when I'm in an important meeting.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Stomach constantly making noises