Share Facebook

03-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
KWalker

SCD/Paleo/GAPS Support Group

About this Support Group

With the growing number of members on here interested in taking part with the SCD and Paleo I thought it would be a good idea to carry on Charleigh's monthly support groups and just create one continuous one so we can keep everything together

Members

1975, a1000lies's Avatar a1000lies, acc929's Avatar acc929, acrohn42's Avatar acrohn42, adubb09's Avatar adubb09, Agent99's Avatar Agent99, aimeey17's Avatar aimeey17, Al77's Avatar Al77, Alexa Federico's Avatar Alexa Federico, Aliveandfighting, allbroke's Avatar allbroke, allinadaysdream, Allisonxlynn, amarie1218's Avatar amarie1218, Amy2, andntrue, Angelzig's Avatar Angelzig, baistuff, Basmah's Avatar Basmah, ben's rn's Avatar ben's rn, bjeanb18, BlessingsK's Avatar BlessingsK, BlueSky's Avatar BlueSky, bobisacrohny, brahm, Charleigh's Avatar Charleigh, Cit's Avatar Cit, Civil69's Avatar Civil69, Clem26's Avatar Clem26, cloud's Avatar cloud, ConshyMom, coolbeans's Avatar coolbeans, Crohn2357's Avatar Crohn2357, crohnattak, CrohniePilot's Avatar CrohniePilot, currie's Avatar currie, dave13's Avatar dave13, David30005, dchad57's Avatar dchad57, DDP1966, deblukey, Dee Dorset's Avatar Dee Dorset, Derby Girl's Avatar Derby Girl, Deziree, dreamintwilight's Avatar dreamintwilight, ebaby, Elliewiththebadbellie, EricaRN81's Avatar EricaRN81, farm296163's Avatar farm296163, Freddie's Avatar Freddie, Gerdy, giannis1984, ginnyrdhap's Avatar ginnyrdhap, girlscout, glory_h's Avatar glory_h, Grateful4Pancakes's Avatar Grateful4Pancakes, grumpygut's Avatar grumpygut, GypsyRay's Avatar GypsyRay, Hayz's Avatar Hayz, hbrekkaas's Avatar hbrekkaas, helena101, herthing1, HopefulThornInMySide's Avatar HopefulThornInMySide, hugh's Avatar hugh, ich's Avatar ich, incik's Avatar incik, InkyStinky's Avatar InkyStinky, Irishtarheel's Avatar Irishtarheel, Jajabinks's Avatar Jajabinks, Jam300's Avatar Jam300, Jay Woodman, jbpharmd's Avatar jbpharmd, Jer's Avatar Jer, JMDCA's Avatar JMDCA, Jmoon, Jmrogers4's Avatar Jmrogers4, jmrw, Joćo's Avatar Joćo, joelsprechman's Avatar joelsprechman, John 470, Joji's Avatar Joji, jonathankavner's Avatar jonathankavner, JSBach327's Avatar JSBach327, Karen M's Avatar Karen M, KHCD5's Avatar KHCD5, kikidee1994's Avatar kikidee1994, kingandsyd's Avatar kingandsyd, Kit_Kat's Avatar Kit_Kat, KWalker's Avatar KWalker, k_stewart, Laura44's Avatar Laura44, lbligh's Avatar lbligh, lenny, LewisS's Avatar LewisS, Light Blb's Avatar Light Blb, lilly12, lordnate's Avatar lordnate, LovingtheCoast's Avatar LovingtheCoast, lseibert's Avatar lseibert, Magnolia24's Avatar Magnolia24, MamaHenn, Margaret2, Marwa, MaryK's Avatar MaryK, mellyag, Momoftwo's Avatar Momoftwo, monirob, MrsPletka's Avatar MrsPletka, MsZombie's Avatar MsZombie, mvond5, Mylocs2007, mzlynne, NatashaChampion's Avatar NatashaChampion, nikki4294's Avatar nikki4294, Nora's Avatar Nora, Nrthngrl's Avatar Nrthngrl, Onuris, partlycloudy's Avatar partlycloudy, Paul Cronk's Avatar Paul Cronk, peluchde's Avatar peluchde, Pilgrim's Avatar Pilgrim, piscesz37, plaidknitter's Avatar plaidknitter, Poppysocks, ProspectorsQuartet's Avatar ProspectorsQuartet, PsychoJane's Avatar PsychoJane, Rich Pell's Avatar Rich Pell, rkarlalim, rollinstone's Avatar rollinstone, Rrahman, sadiegoo's Avatar sadiegoo, SB7, SCDkate, scooby100's Avatar scooby100, serrickson's Avatar serrickson, shawnagio, SherBear22, Shmoopy, Shreela's Avatar Shreela, smw's Avatar smw, spiggie, Susan2's Avatar Susan2, SusanB2001, taraswede's Avatar taraswede, The Mad Bagger's Avatar The Mad Bagger, three crows's Avatar three crows, tiredandsick, Too Many Bum Steers's Avatar Too Many Bum Steers, too_cool, travelbytardis, TryingDiets, vcp420, VilliVagabond, vivica, Waverly, WeirdoWoman's Avatar WeirdoWoman, Ya noy's Avatar Ya noy
03-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
monirob

My Support Groups:
Thanks for starting this! I'll definitely be following along. I'm an SCD newbie and can use all the info I can get.
03-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
KWalker

Good! I'd love to hang you
03-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Signing up!
03-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Jer
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Paleo guy right here
03-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
90 % SCD except for rice ;(cheating I know) but I feel gooood
03-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
CrohniePilot

My Support Groups:
I'm two weeks in on the SCD. So far so good.
03-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks for doing this. With a whole forum devoted to SCD now, I simply forgot to start the thread. I have been insanely busy. Thanks so much.
Enteral Nutrition
03-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
jbpharmd

My Support Groups:
Would love to join this thread. Started the SCD 11 days ago. My only cheat is a Diet Sundrop more than once a week. Trying not to get discouraged but losing weight and having a hard time with the food OR my crohns is just worse when I decided to start diet. Believe I am not tolerating any fiber. Even chicken soap is reacting and causing lots of D (maybe puree carrots.) Would love to join and hear others response or what worked for them. Will not give up!! Need this to work.
03-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
So, I updated E's thread but I had to say something here too....

We had our appointment today. The doctor is very pleased. E is up 5 pounds since his last appointment and he has grown 3/4 inch
And
drumroll........
This was our first stool test with no blood in E's stool!

03-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #11
three crows

My Support Groups:
Hi everybody!

I'm fairly new to the forums, but have already found so much great information and support.

I started the SCD last June and have been doing pretty well and plan to stick with it for the long haul.

Those of you that are new to the diet -- you have my respect! It's not easy, but it may be just what you need to feel better and stay as healthy as possible. I don't believe it will cure it, though that would be great, and of course, the "best case scenario".

I have gotten a bit "stuck in a rut" with the foods I eat and I don't do much baking, so I really miss baked goods, but I get by without the horrendous cravings I had early on.

My goal right now is to rededicate myself to the diet and a healthy lifestyle; trying more new recipes and becoming more knowledgeable about Crohn's, how diet effects it and "specifically" the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

I'm also very interested to hear other's experiences with SCD, Paleo and GAPS and am very happy to share from my own trial and errors.
03-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #12
three crows

My Support Groups:
Good! I'd love to hang you

Yow!

That had to be autocorrect or the cat bumped "send'? Just teasing!
03-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
three crows

My Support Groups:
Would love to join this thread. Started the SCD 11 days ago. My only cheat is a Diet Sundrop more than once a week. Trying not to get discouraged but losing weight and having a hard time with the food OR my crohns is just worse when I decided to start diet. Believe I am not tolerating any fiber. Even chicken soap is reacting and causing lots of D (maybe puree carrots.) Would love to join and hear others response or what worked for them. Will not give up!! Need this to work.
Hey there. Congratulations for making it this far! You're in a tough stretch, those first few weeks are probably the most difficult, but you've already done so well.

I lost weight also, but I was happy to. I was actually about 20-25# over ideal last Spring when I had my big flare and then began the diet.

I agree the cooked carrots are possibly to blame for the D. I still have trouble with those. (But they're so yummy! A few bites is usually "ok").

Tell me what you've been eating so far and I can give you more ideas for what to try next or what maybe to avoid for now. There are a lot of things you can experiment with before you get into all the higher fiber stuff. I still can't eat a big garden salad.

For what it's worth, I began the diet while in a bad flare, and I was on Entocort. I know it says you'll know in about a month if the diet will work for you, but as far as I was concerned, I was sticking with it for a minimum of 6 months before I made a proclamation of efficacy for myself. After only one month it would have been too difficult to assess if it was the diet or the steroid that was helping me to feel better.
03-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
KWalker

Yow!

That had to be autocorrect or the cat bumped "send'? Just teasing!

WOW! Can you tell I posted that late at night? lol. I didn't even notice that! I'm not even going to edit it because it's so ridiculous lol.

It should have said "Good, I'd love to have you"
03-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #15
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
For the first few weeks we had Elijah on a very altered SCD. He couldn't tolerate the carrots or beef (or much fiber at all). The great thing about SCD is that you should be healing on the inside. As you heal, you will gain a tolerance to those foods.
Also, even now that E can tolerate even raw veggies, fruits, and beef....he cannot drink a carbonated soda without getting really sick. I hate to tell you to nix the Sundrop but it might be best to skip it for now.
Sundrop? Do you live in the Carolinas or has it finally moved out of state? lol
03-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
plaidknitter

My Support Groups:
I'm joining in. I go back and forth between SCD and Paleo for the most part.
03-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #17
bjeanb18

My Support Groups:
13 days into the SCD and I'd like to join
03-12-2013, 04:01 AM   #18
Jer
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm about 6 weeks into my paleo diet and I feel pretty damn good......I am on prednisone though, so I gotta taper to see if indeed the diet is doing what I pray it is doing.

The wife and I went out to celebrate on Saturday night, she is 2 weeks into the paleo, and is down 6-7lbs. She needs to have a "cheat" meal to keep herself going/sane. We went out to a nice sushi/asian place. I felt like crap after eating some tastey sushi for most of the day Sunday.

Gonna have to keep those treat few and far between.
03-12-2013, 04:28 AM   #19
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
I know how you feel, iv been pretty much SCD for like 5 months then allowed for "organic" rice puffs for breakfast, I had a chicken schnitzel the other day, plus a muffin, I should mention I'm also tapering from 6months pred and been on imuran for a month, Ive been having pretty healthy bowel habits for a month now (Was formed w blood before). I'm planning on going full paleo soon in addition to my medication, I believe that's the way to get the best results. I'm hoping the combo can get me into historical remission
03-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #20
Ya noy

I'm not sure what diet we follow, but except for our bread and milk products, it's pretty close to SCD/ Paleo.
03-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #21
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
If love to be able to incorporate bread into my diet again, I miss toast so badly haha
03-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #22
Susan2

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I'm not following any of these, but am extremely interested in the way that diet can affect health generally and, of course, Crohn's in particular. I have been following the Blood Type Diet since just after my proctocoloectomy in 2000 and am now in my 13th year on no medication.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
03-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #23
monirob

My Support Groups:
I'm not following any of these, but am extremely interested in the way that diet can affect health generally and, of course, Crohn's in particular. I have been following the Blood Type Diet since just after my proctocoloectomy in 2000 and am now in my 13th year on no medication.
Wow 13 years with no medication is AWESOME. I'd love to be in that place soon. Have you stuck STRICTLYto any specific diet for those 13 years? Or have you incorporated regular foods back into your diet during that time?
03-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #24
monirob

My Support Groups:
What is the biggest difference between Paleo and SCD? I hear a lot of people say that Paleo isn't as strict and restrictive as SCD. I'm currently doing SCD, but if there is an alternative that isn't as restrictive I'm open to it. I see some people incorporate a little of both diets. I'm going to research the Paleo diet, but I would love to hear from people who have already done it or are doing both SCD and Paleo.
03-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #25
Susan2

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
When I am at home, cooking for myself, or in a restaurant that will adapt for me, I try to keep fairly strictly to my beneficial or neutral foods. Otherwise I try to avoid things that will be bad for my Crohn's (hard insoluble fibre, strong spices, nuts, etc) but don't get too fussed about other things. Chicken, for example, is one of my "avoids" but if it is put in front of me, I eat just enough of it to not call attention to myself. The Blood Type Diet allows a full range of food groups/types of food for each blood group - vegetables, fruit, meat, etc - but different ones for each, so it's not so much a matter of incorporating "regular" foods back into your diet.
03-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #26
monirob

My Support Groups:
When I am at home, cooking for myself, or in a restaurant that will adapt for me, I try to keep fairly strictly to my beneficial or neutral foods. Otherwise I try to avoid things that will be bad for my Crohn's (hard insoluble fibre, strong spices, nuts, etc) but don't get too fussed about other things. Chicken, for example, is one of my "avoids" but if it is put in front of me, I eat just enough of it to not call attention to myself. The Blood Type Diet allows a full range of food groups/types of food for each blood group - vegetables, fruit, meat, etc - but different ones for each, so it's not so much a matter of incorporating "regular" foods back into your diet.
I understand. Since starting SCD, I have had a similar experience. I was already eating healthy by baking, grilling, boiling, etc. most of my foods and eating plenty of fruits and veggies. However I was still having D and mild flare ups. Since starting SCD the only thing that has really changed in my diet is to cut out sugar, processed foods, breads, grains and stuff like that. I'm thinking that as long as I stay away from those things the majority of the time I should be fine. Maybe only have them once a month or once every two weeks. At least then I wouldn't feel so restricted by the SCD diet. I'm feeling so good right now...I just don't want to mess things up. I'd hate to go back to feeling miserable simply because I just had to have soda or a piece of bread.
03-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #27
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Susan2 - Interesting, at least to me, about the chicken being off limits. I've noticed the same with chicken and eggs causing me problems. My gut issues almost went away after avoiding those two. Of late I've added cinnamon and turkey to the avoid list, to see if I can be rid of the almost well label, and results are encouraging. The way things are going I might have my first week of being completely well, knock on wood. Well, I'm avoiding a good number of other foods too, with following a SCD/ paleo diet so more probably is going on. Don't imagine I would do well eating wheat. That would cause D. Cane sugar might be a problem too.

I've noticed David mentioning that chicken seems to be a trigger food for him also. Maybe our ancestors were poor bird hunters.

Monirob - the paleo diet is more flexible and pliable. There isn't one single paleo diet out there. As can be imagined many cultures developed different diets based upon what was available in their region of the world. The basics for the paleo diet are avoiding grains, soy, potatoes and dairy. Some will say that aged dairy is fine. Another mention sometimes made for the more hard core paleo followers is seasonality of foods. Before modern transportation and storage, foods tended to be seasonal. For example, eggs were a seasonal food believed to not be eaten through out the year. Fruits were the same. I've seen some mention that they believe pork to be a problematic food, but with many disagreeing on that. Our water sources for our ancestors came from streams and lakes, full of minerals and microbes - some believed to be beneficial.

I recall seeing this article the other day on Dr. Davis's sight about other paleo nutritional ideas. For example, humans are unique in that we do not manufacture our own vitamin C. Instead we need to get this from our diet year round. Eating sea foods rich in iodine, which helps the thyroid is another idea. Being in the sun, creating vitamin D is often brought up too.

"Experience your inner Homo erectus"

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/0...-homo-erectus/
03-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #28
Ya noy

I understand. Since starting SCD, I have had a similar experience. I was already eating healthy by baking, grilling, boiling, etc. most of my foods and eating plenty of fruits and veggies. However I was still having D and mild flare ups. Since starting SCD the only thing that has really changed in my diet is to cut out sugar, processed foods, breads, grains and stuff like that. I'm thinking that as long as I stay away from those things the majority of the time I should be fine. Maybe only have them once a month or once every two weeks. At least then I wouldn't feel so restricted by the SCD diet. I'm feeling so good right now...I just don't want to mess things up. I'd hate to go back to feeling miserable simply because I just had to have soda or a piece of bread.
The SCD diet does allow 1 diet soda a week (with nutrasweet) and there's a number of bread substitutes. We made some SCD legal coconut macaroon cookies last night that turned out amazing, and seems to help keep the bread and sweets cravings in check.

There's also the primal, GAPS, and Maker's diets.

The greatest common denominator all of all these diets seems to be the preparation of food from scratch, and keeping away from prepared, preprocessed food that contain chemical additives and high fructose corn syrup.

What separates the SCD diet is it only single molecule sugars are "legal", and those are found in fruits and honey. Table sugar is a double molecule sugar, which is why it's illegal.
03-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
monirob

My Support Groups:
Ya noy, I'm actually not a big bread fan. I just like to enjoy a hamburger or two every now and then and that's where the bread issue arises. As far as sweets, I think I can manage in that category now that I have my Lara Bars, almond flour, and an arsenal of recipes. The diet soda thing is ok...but.....I've been dieting for a while and my motto was to always stay away from sodas, sweets, etc. When I did have it I would have the real the real thing, that way my cravings for the real thing wouldn't take over and make me binge. I'm just not big on eating "fake" sugars and empty calories because I'm trying to lose/maintain weight. Those zero calorie drinks only serve to make ur body think it's getting calories when it's not which just sets ur body up to crave and binge like crazy. I don't know...maybe I should give the diet soda a try for the sake of helping my guts and focus on weight loss later. I only have about 25 more pounds I want to lose so I think the weight loss can take a back seat for now.
03-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #30
Susan2

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
...Maybe our ancestors were poor bird hunters.
Or maybe modern day chickens are a long way from what our ancestors would have eaten. Many people who are unable to cope with modern day wheat, which has been heavily modified, seem to be able to cope with spelt, the ancient ancestor of our wheat.