Share Facebook

01-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #331
hugh

My Support Groups:
EDIT: What book should I get? Is it: The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body by S. Ballantyne?
I wouldn't buy it unless you want to geek out on the science (way over my head, makes sense, might be right, might not). It would be helpful but all the information you need is for free on the internet.
I got it from my library and i would recommend going that option.....
by the way......S. Ballantyne is "The Paleo Mom"
http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmun...mmune-protocol
01-25-2015, 11:15 PM   #332
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
I'm reading Paleo Approach and I wish I'd skipped the science-y chapters when she said where to skip to, lol!!
The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook is beautiful!
AIP is an elimination diet (not meant as a lifestyle long-term) that, in addition to those foods eliminated with Paleo, eliminates nightshades, eggs & nuts. There is systematic reintroduction of these foods suggested.
01-26-2015, 12:39 AM   #333
hugh

My Support Groups:
yep , i was probably wrong saying not to buy the book,
It's worth looking at.....
plenty of recipes on the net though.......
http://www.phoenixhelix.com/paleo-ai...e-roundtables/
http://aiplifestyle.com/recipe/
http://www.thepaleomom.com/aip-friendly
http://autoimmune-paleo.com/recipes/
http://stalkerville.net/diet/autoimmune/
http://www.grazedandenthused.com/#!a...olrecipes/ct5j
http://www.agirlworthsaving.net/2014...r-recipes.html
01-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #334
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
I think perfect health diet covered the science well enough but worked it to allow potatoes and rice.
01-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #335
vcp420

My Support Groups:
Hello all. Just thought I would respond to this thread since I got an update on a different thread I posted on years ago. I haven't posted recently because my son has been in remission for almost 2 years now. He was facing having to increase Remicade when he started SCD. It has worked really well for him. He did it following the stepwise approach of SCD Lifestyle and now can eat anything including nuts. The old post on another thread showed me that I was remiss in not including a success story for people to read about. Too often you get on with your life and stop posting. I wish all of you the best. This is not an easy diet to do. Anyone who has tried should congratulate themselves. Die off is real and withdrawal from refined sugar is rough but well worth it. He was "almost SCD" for years, but going 100% really made the difference for him. I wish everyone the best with their efforts.
01-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #336
nikki4294

My Support Groups:
Congratulations vpc420 to you and your son!! I to had success (modified scd of course, I think we all have to modify to some degree) with nutritional changes and am at about 10-12 years of no active disease (diagnosis in 1995). Happy to provide specific support to those with specific questions. There are a lot of things missing in SCD based on when it was written as well as interpretation issues, and there are a lot of products around now that weren't then - so you don't necessarily have to make your own yogurt anymore (though I remember doing it). I agree that those of us who are having success need to post more so more of us can achieve remission. Anyway, good luck to you all and please don't hesitate to contact if you have a question.
01-28-2015, 11:11 PM   #337
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
I'd love to know more about the yogurt! I have been feeling like I wasn't getting probiotics right bc I'm not making yogurt!
01-28-2015, 11:58 PM   #338
vcp420

My Support Groups:
The yogurt is easy! I still make it for myself even though my son is at school. He has an apartment now, but he used to make it in the dorm. It takes me 30 minutes start to finish. My son used to take probiotics that were $100/month. I read somewhere that the colony count in the yogurt is around 700 billion in one cup. He started just taking the yogurt each day instead of the probiotics. He tries to get in about half a cup. The maker is only about $60 on amazon, so it isn't a huge financial commitment. I also bought a yogurt strainer. Somehow it doesn't seem as sour if you strain it. I like it best with Manuka honey mixed in.
01-29-2015, 12:53 AM   #339
Susan2

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I make yoghurt without any specific equipment (in fact, I've just unwrapped what I made yesterday).

There are various recipes. I use 1 litre of full cream, organic milk in a saucepan. Bring to the boil (85ºC/180F if you have a thermometer), stirring, keep at that temperature for about a minute or so.

Take off the heat and let cool to room temperature (I know, that varies radically, so 45ºC/110ºF*). Add about 1/4 cup/2 full tablespoons** PLAIN yoghurt with live culture (I use organic or bio dynamic yoghurt), stir in thoroughly.

Pour into a heavy container, with a lid, that will retain the heat. I use a ceramic pot. Then wrap in blanket, doona, towels, old jumpers or anything that will keep it warm while it develops. Some people use a heat pad on low, or put it in your hot water service cupboard, drying cabinet or whatever in the cooler weather. Leave for 24 hours.

* A Pakistani woman friend of mine, who has 5 children and makes yoghurt every day, says cool it until you can hold your little finger in it while you count 10 seconds.

** Different brands or types of commercial yoghurt will give you degrees of firmness, so you might need a bit more or less. It's a bit trial and error to start with, but you can always use it as pouring yoghurt if it's a bit too thin.

I find that I can use my own yoghurt as a starter 3 or 4 times, then need to buy some commercial yoghurt to give it a boost.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.

Last edited by Susan2; 01-29-2015 at 01:43 AM.
01-29-2015, 01:18 AM   #340
nikki4294

My Support Groups:
I also made the yogurt. Oddly enough my mom and grandma used to make it when I was a kid so I had people to ask. There are some products that in a pinch give you the benefits when you can't make your own yogurt. I have been buying decent quality kefir at local health food stores. It is drinkable and has even more probiotics than yogurt, though homemade yogurt doesn't necessarily have a culture count that we can measure. Similar in taste, just read ingredients and make sure there aren't additives you should be avoiding until your are feeling better. Carrageenan is one that we should avoid, though I personally didn't have a problem with it. When you are having flare ups, be as strict as possible. Kefir is very settling on the stomach. My fave is Helios brand...price is ok, organic and ingredients list checks out. Watch pre-flavored ones when flaring up, but you may tolerate just fine. Usual fake colors and flavor won't be in organic ones but carrageenan may be present, and again, not all of us have a problem with that. Also keeps well over a month in fridge, so easy to grab when you don't know what else to do and need something in your belly...you can also make yourself similar to yogurt. This is one of the foods that wasn't readily available during first printing of SCD but easy to get now.
01-29-2015, 01:38 AM   #341
nikki4294

My Support Groups:
And btw, my mom had the yogurt maker when I was a kid, and my grandma just made in corningware in stove with gas pilot light. We would then strain in cheesecloth for about a day to make labni, which is less sour and more like a cheese. Always used mountain high brand as starter, but today there are so many brands that are rBST free, organic, and live culture that you should try different ones to get flavor you like. I believe they would say fat free made more sour yogurt and low fat to regular fat made less sour. All a starter is - any yogurt that has live culture, so just read labels.

Also, someone mentioned missing bread...read up on the history of sourdough...also a live culture food. A good quality, slow raised sourdough on occasion might be tolerated very well. Rumor is that the sourdough culture eats the yeast. I have been experimenting with different brands and no problems, but if flaring up, proceed with caution. I ate no bread for the bad years, but wasn't aware of probiotics in good quality sourdough. I totally would have tried it. I think has to slow raise, 24 hrs.
01-29-2015, 01:40 AM   #342
Susan2

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
My local health food shop makes kefir, but it is very fizzy with lots of bubbles and I'm very wary of bubbles. I make enough gas of my own!
01-29-2015, 01:58 AM   #343
nikki4294

My Support Groups:
Lol...agree to avoid soda water and champagne, but there is a whole site on kefir and crohns that you might want to read up on. And again, plenty of high quality yogurts these days that work just fine. I stumbled onto kefir by accident, something for my kids to use as a healthy base for smoothies, then I would drink some plain. It really makes my belly feel good! I guess that's what the word kefir translates to. Type crohns babe kefir in search engine for info. Main thing is to get your probiotics in one way or another.
01-29-2015, 02:06 AM   #344
nikki4294

My Support Groups:
Curious to hear other opinions on kefir...success, failure and brands...always interesting to compare similarities and differences.
01-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #345
Al77

My Support Groups:
I have been thinking of trying kefir, quite honestly 'cause I like the name more than anything!

But when can you introduce it if you are following SCD etc?

I am not sure I can buy it here (I'm British, live in Finland - Need to go on a Finnish Crohn's forum) and would be even more surprised if I can buy a good quality, safe one.
01-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #346
hugh

My Support Groups:
Go on the net and find someone who is selling kefir grains.
it's super easy to make and cheap too......

Some people do NOT respond well to yoghurt/kefir.
I improved when i gave it up (D stopped).
Goat or sheep milk seems to be better tolerated/less likely to cause problems.

SCD recommends probiotics and yoghurt starters without Bifidobacteria as they can overgrow and cause problems.
"Before we get into the good stuff we have to touch on Bifidobacteria. It’s a hot topic in the SCD community for the reason that it can “take over” and cause health problems in some cases."

SCD lifestyle recommends "So our current thinking on it is: once you’ve been on the diet about 30 days and you’re starting to feel better, go ahead and test SCD legal fermented yogurt slowly
In the meantime – probiotics can help you heal start healing in the absence of these other sources."

SCD Probiotics – What You Really Need to Know
http://scdlifestyle.com/2011/08/scd-...-need-to-know/

Make sauerkraut - it is sooooo easy
Chop veggies (just cabbage is ok), add 1 teaspoon of salt per pound, crush with fingers, cover with water and weight, wait 1 week.......
Start with half a teaspoon of the liquid and if that's ok work upwards slowly.
Don't rush it, start slow!!!!!!!!!!!
01-30-2015, 10:12 PM   #347
nikki4294

My Support Groups:
...and that makes sense with the kefir, I have only added in the past 3 years?? after already having disappearance of symptoms.

So going to make some sauerkraut now...I grow a lot of my own veggies now, had way too many last year. Hugh- making it sound nice and easy!!
01-31-2015, 12:09 AM   #348
hugh

My Support Groups:
So going to make some sauerkraut now...I grow a lot of my own veggies now, had way too many last year. Hugh- making it sound nice and easy!!
It is that easy, but check out some recipes to fine tune....

I cut my cabbage chunky because i like it crunchy,
My standard is 500% cabbage, 30%carrot, 20%celery
I add turmeric, ginger and chilli,
but all you need is cabbage and salt

Leave overnight after crunching in salt and then top up with water to cover and weight down.
I use a slow-cooker crock, a plate (unpainted) as the paint can dissolve (found that out the hard way) and a heavy glass paper weight.
It needs to be covered as the flies will drown in it as they investigate the smell
01-31-2015, 02:43 AM   #349
nikki4294

My Support Groups:
Anti-inflammatory add-ins of course. Very cool to work in the turmeric. Never been a fan of the store bought and have just been reading about expanding fermented foods beyond yogurt and kefir... Thanks for that - first time trying homemade. Hated pickles too until I made my own, now I love them! Will let you know how I do...
01-31-2015, 02:57 AM   #350
nikki4294

My Support Groups:
only bummer is it won't be ready for Super Bowl...
01-31-2015, 03:27 AM   #351
nikki4294

My Support Groups:
ai77, i think kefir is an Eastern European product, so i'd imagine if i can get is San Diego, your local health food store would have in Finland...don't quote me on that!! Suggestion if you can't find starter to make your own (hugh is right for starter - I have only bought premade as we have many good options here in local hfs) should be many varieties near milk/cream section of health food store. I was in Netherlands in April last year and found similar products at grocery store...not sure how organic translates on Finnish label, but again, no additives, food coloring, etc...
01-31-2015, 06:34 AM   #352
Al77

My Support Groups:
ai77, i think kefir is an Eastern European product, so i'd imagine if i can get is San Diego, your local health food store would have in Finland...don't quote me on that!! Suggestion if you can't find starter to make your own (hugh is right for starter - I have only bought premade as we have many good options here in local hfs) should be many varieties near milk/cream section of health food store. I was in Netherlands in April last year and found similar products at grocery store...not sure how organic translates on Finnish label, but again, no additives, food coloring, etc...
You'll be surprised. Finland is a little remote and not exactly a culturally diverse place and politely put....a little behind the times. Organic only started to take off a couple of years ago.

But...I remembered a discussion about kefir on an ex-pat forum so I had a browse there. People said it used to be sold in Estonian and Russian shops in Helsinki. My girlfriend goes down a lot for work so she'll check around. But some people from the forum were offering to share the grains (??) and I think I can order the stuff online.

Estonia is only a quick ferry ride away, so there's always that option.

It'll be fun to try at least.

Edit: Apparently Kefir buttermilk is easy to find. Dunno if that's ok though.
01-31-2015, 05:38 PM   #353
hugh

My Support Groups:
But some people from the forum were offering to share the grains (??) and I think I can order the stuff online.
page 13 has 2 people offering grains in finland and plenty more in neibouring countries......
http://www.torontoadvisors.com/suppliers?page=13
01-31-2015, 06:13 PM   #354
InkyStinky

My Support Groups:
We've just started making sauerkraut! Just used cabbage and salt for the first batch which turned out well, so now I'm going to start experimenting with other recipies.

For you folks who lacto-ferment things -- how long do you typically let them ferment? The advice I read seems to have wide ranges (eg, 1 to 4+ weeks).... is there a health benefit to a longer ferment? Or just taste preference?

Ethel: “So, is everything okey-dokey?” Lucy: “No, it’s inky-stinky” ~ I Love Lucy

-Are you looking for a new treatment option for your Crohn's disease? If so, I suggest you look into the ongoing clinical trial by Qu Biologics for their SSI treatment. Click here for more information or to help spread the word.
02-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #355
a1000lies

My Support Groups:
Just over two weeks into the SCD here. Man I couldn't believe how hard the first week was! I literally went from eating loads of breads, chips, crackers, reeces pieces, all kinds of sweets, and then went cold turkey into this diet and holy hell did it hit hard. For the first 3-5 days I had what felt like the flu or some kind of withdrawal from carbs and sugars with headaches, body aches, weird mental states, anger, bad dreams, and having absolutely no energy. I would lose my temper at the drop of a hat.

All that has seemed to taper off now as I'm adjusting to the diet but I'm not a very good cook and am still working hard to try and eat enough each day to maintain even 1500 cals (already lost 6lbs, I'm 5' 11" and now 178lbs). I like to have a shake in the morning with a banana, apple, blueberries, baby spinach, and some cidar. For lunch I do some kind of chicken and salad related meal. Then for dinner either more chicken and greens or another shake. I just started to get enough courage to start eating nuts and some raisins as a snack between meals and it hasn't affected me negatively so far. I had cut out dairy just over a year ago so I haven't had any still, but I might try some of the legal cheeses down the road if I work up the guts to do so.

So far all I can say is that I feel much better than I have in years already. I've been in terrible shape over the last three years trying different elimination diets then failing completely and going into eating just about anything except dairy in defeat. I've had times in my life where I randomly go into a nice remission even eating the worst of diets so I'm just hoping that this isn't a fluke coincidence and that if I continue to live this way I can lead a more fulfilling life with better health.

Due to under eating I've also gone into Ketosis quite a few times over the last week. I normally wake up with an awful taste in my mouth (kinda like metal). Sometimes I have an increased heart rate and some anxiety along with it. I went out and got some ketone strips and it showed my ketones were moderate to high. To make sure this wasn't some new diabetic problem showing up I had a banana and then tested a few more times throughout the hour and the test gradually became negative.

Anyway, I'm glad to be trying something new and hope I can stick with this for at least a few months to report whether or not I have any stable improvement. I will definitely need some food tips along the way. Thanks for all the info thus far in the forum guys.
02-03-2015, 10:44 PM   #356
nikki4294

My Support Groups:
Ok, so is purple cabbage ok for sauerkraut?? I guess it will turn everything purple...
02-03-2015, 11:08 PM   #357
nikki4294

My Support Groups:
And a1000lies, good for you for giving a go! I know it is a major life redesign, but like you said, you are feeling better, so totally worth it. If you ever have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask, email private, group email... the more threads you read, the more you realize that we each have different variations that work for us...
02-04-2015, 05:34 AM   #358
hugh

My Support Groups:
Ok, so is purple cabbage ok for sauerkraut?? I guess it will turn everything purple...
yes and yes
02-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #359
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
Inspired by this discussion, I bought some Bubbies sauerkraut but I don't know if I can bring myself to try it!!
02-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #360
Freddie

My Support Groups:
For any Aussies out there "Life in a Jar" sauerkraut is fabulous especially the purple cabbage variety!