Share Facebook

02-08-2015, 06:28 AM   #361
giannis1984

My Support Groups:
hello i want to ask if anyone in this group is from greece and i can ask some information about sdc and some products i cant find in athens and if anyone can contact me via PM and chat give me some advice it will be much appreciated.thanks

Last edited by DustyKat; 03-06-2015 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Email removed.
02-09-2015, 11:57 PM   #362
lenny

My Support Groups:
Ok, so is purple cabbage ok for sauerkraut?? I guess it will turn everything purple...
I've only made sauerkraut with purple cabbage. It's delicious and more nutritious.
03-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #363
TryingDiets

My Support Groups:
SCD has been very good to me. When I was DX'd 2 years ago, I got super restrictive with Paleo Auto Immune + FODMAPS avoidance. Tried the ole' GAPS intro protocol, which was hilariously restrictive. SCD, paired with the food fermentation I learned during GAPS, has broadened my menu tremendously. Basically 2 years without a flare, just a couple of bad days in response to some over indulging.

I had a laughably restrictive diet for months on end, and though it may not have been entirely necessary, it makes today seem much brighter. Anyone with any questions about any of these is welcome to ask this diet mega-nerd anything. I am no scientist, just a guinea pig.

I know some good cook books, web sites and people who could help anyone through the "diet" approach to IBD.
03-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #364
TryingDiets

My Support Groups:
We've just started making sauerkraut! Just used cabbage and salt for the first batch which turned out well, so now I'm going to start experimenting with other recipies.

For you folks who lacto-ferment things -- how long do you typically let them ferment? The advice I read seems to have wide ranges (eg, 1 to 4+ weeks).... is there a health benefit to a longer ferment? Or just taste preference?
Hey,

I have some good luck with Sauer Kraut. 3 weeks minimum if your home is fairly warm. If it is chilly, 4-5 for perfect kraut.

My recipe is 1.5% salt by weight. This works for any vegetable ferment. I have used it for regular cabbage, but it works well for special blends also.

My favorite is:

1 head nappa cabbage, sliced in 1 in chunks
6 carrots, shredded on a grater or food processor
1 bunch green onions
3 cloves pressed/minced garlic
3/4" cube of fresh ginger, grated
as much radish as you might like
This is a good recipe to double if you have a good sized crock or jar.

Weigh it all, preferably in grams.
Multiply weight by .015
Weigh that amount of salt.
Work salt into the mixture.
Let sit for 3-10 hrs
Pack into a jar.
Put a weight on it to keep it under the brine

This will be ready for your table in 2 weeks as long as your temperature in house is above 68. Delicious, cheap medicine.
03-08-2015, 06:33 AM   #365
Clem26

My Support Groups:
Has anyone had success in coming off Infliximab (Remicade) using the SCD diet?
04-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #366
Basmah

My Support Groups:
Woah, it's been a while since someone has posted on here. I wrote this on another thread, but I have to say my diet has helped tremendously. I got lab results last week, and My hemoglobin, protein, RBC, and WBC all went up, while my inflammation markers have gone down. My energy, sleep, and overall mood are a whole lot better. I have added some more vegetables, and I can have some sesame oil and liquid aminos to make with egg pudding. I have also started gaining some weight too! I started tapering off one of my meds, and I have a colonoscopy next week. Keep your fingers crossed that it goes well!
04-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #367
mvond5
Banned

My Support Groups:
Awesome can't wait to hear.
04-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #368
a1000lies

My Support Groups:
So far I'm seeing an enourmous difference in my health. I've haven't had a flare up in months and I was doing really bad for a while. I was very sick at least a few days out of ever 1-2 weeks with other days being only "not too bad". I haven't experienced the weakness, fevers, cramps, or d in a really long time. This diet is really tough but the pay off has been too good for me to quit.

Anyone ever cheat on this diet without severe repercussions? I have a glass of red wine 1-3 nights a week with no problems but I'm DYING for a beer once the weather gets nice.
04-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #369
Crohns08

So far I'm seeing an enourmous difference in my health. I've haven't had a flare up in months and I was doing really bad for a while. I was very sick at least a few days out of ever 1-2 weeks with other days being only "not too bad". I haven't experienced the weakness, fevers, cramps, or d in a really long time. This diet is really tough but the pay off has been too good for me to quit.

Anyone ever cheat on this diet without severe repercussions? I have a glass of red wine 1-3 nights a week with no problems but I'm DYING for a beer once the weather gets nice.
I don't think the issue is cheating on occasion. I think the issue is that if someone cheats and it doesn't hurt then they continue to cheat until they get sick again.
Yoga
Vitamin D
Gabapentin
SCD Multivitamin
Tums
Percocet
60 mg pred tapering weekly
Protonix
Levofloxin
Surgeries:
09/2011 - Draining an Abcess the size of a lemon!
10/2011 - Same abcess, different approach this time, open incision!

Add Me on Facebook!
04-24-2015, 01:25 AM   #370
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
The opposite as in – there is no harm in being overly cautious, excluding more than the absolute minimum (especially since no-one knows what that is for any individual).
There is a real and pretty [expletive deleted] obvious risk of not excluding enough.
Can someone else let me know if i'm not being clear? It seems pretty obvious to me......

Yes, they are 90% the same, it is the other 10% that make for interesting thought. The areas that they are in agreement I think are worth 100% adherence, the points of difference might be worth an individual investigating if they were so inclined.

The foods deemed 'illegal' on the SCD diet that I believe 'should' be 'legal' are 'approved' for the perfect health diet and widely (but not universally) accepted in the paleo diet.
Likewise, the foods that are 'legal' on the SCD diet diet that I believe 'should' be 'illegal'' are not 'approved' for the perfect health diet and are not accepted in the paleo diet.
OK?

The important changes in the alternate sentence that I put up were highlighted – 'might' instead 'will do better', 'exclude' instead of 'include', and 'for a while' instead of 'now and then'.
Tomato was just an example (there is some slight evidence that some people have problems with nightshades, therefore, but my rational, everyone might benefit by excluding them for a while.)
Nobody will benefit by adding McD's or sugar to their SCD diet.
It's pretty simple and you are being tedious with this line of questioning.
If you really can't understand what i'm saying then I can't help you with that.

Firstly, I can disagree with whatever the fuck I want, that's one of life's simple truths.
Doesn't mean i'm right or not,
I think I covered this last sentence in the rest of this post, but please, if there is anybody else reading please let me know if it's me not explaining myself or just a lack of comprehension on Unxmas's part

The use of profanity on this website is not appropriate.
04-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #371
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The use of profanity on this website is not appropriate.
Come on hugh. You can be passionate without the F-bombs.
06-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #372
a1000lies

My Support Groups:
Reporting back just to say that Since I started this diet in January I've been 90% better than I've been since my symptoms of Crohn's disease first started 12 years ago. This is the best thing I've done in my entire life and I just hope this lasts.
06-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #373
Pilgrim

My Support Groups:
Which specific diet are you working with?
06-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #374
too_cool

My Support Groups:
Reporting back just to say that Since I started this diet in January I've been 90% better than I've been since my symptoms of Crohn's disease first started 12 years ago. This is the best thing I've done in my entire life and I just hope this lasts.
Can you please tell If you make scd cheese at home? How do you make it

I am from India and struggling to find scd cheese in market, need to make it at home, properly
06-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #375
JSBach327

My Support Groups:
I came down with Crohn's Aug 2014 and immediately went on steroids. I then tried Pentasa which failed. I then Nov 2014 went back on steroids and then to budesonide, which worked OK. I started the diet Dec 2014. It worked OK, but I found out in March/April that an inactive ingredient in the budesonide is SUGAR SPHERES which is counterproductive to the diet. I stopped taking budesonide and immediately felt a positive difference. Since then, the diet is the only treatment I have. I had a setback a couple weeks ago, but it passed after a couple of days. I attribute this to overdoing it on fruit juice and eating unfiltered honey that had pollen in it.

SCD works, however you MUST do it 100% how the program dictates, otherwise it will not be as effective.

Hope this helps,

Brandon
Savannah, Ga (US)
06-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #376
Pilgrim

My Support Groups:
I think it works for some but not all.

We tried it 100% and my daughter returned to bleeding in two weeks. We were still using the intro diet. For her any food, even the best designed diet, caused bleeding. That said, we'd like to try diet again to a large degree once we have seen mucosal healing with the meds.

I find that with Crohn's it isn't wise to speak in absolutes.
06-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #377
JSBach327

My Support Groups:
I agree. No one treatment works for everyone, including the conventional treatments. SCD is effective for many but not all. I can only say that it is working for me personally.

I think it works for some but not all.

We tried it 100% and my daughter returned to bleeding in two weeks. We were still using the intro diet. For her any food, even the best designed diet, caused bleeding. That said, we'd like to try diet again to a large degree once we have seen mucosal healing with the meds.

I find that with Crohn's it isn't wise to speak in absolutes.
06-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #378
Pilgrim

My Support Groups:
There are also some other IBD diets being researched which are very similar to SCD. Most don't allow dairy at all so that would be one difference between these and the SCD (SCD uses the home made yogurt).

Absolutely agree that the meds are not one size fits all, either. Been through that, too. It's such an individualized disease.

One thing that is interesting to note, is that even when diet isn't working 100% usually if you can keep the diet along with the meds, then the meds "work better".

So, diet has to be a vital component and I think we're seeing it included more by the GI's.
06-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #379
JSBach327

My Support Groups:
The problem with dairy is LACTOSE. For many, if you can find dairy that doesn't have lactose, it is OK - such as the SCD yogurt you mentioned. SCD also allows cheddar cheese (as long as its lactose free) - most of the "Cabot" and "Cracker Barrel" brands are. Basically, the more it is aged, the less lactose it has and easier for people to eat. I've never had a problem with cheese as long as it's lactose free. I actually don't do the SCD yogurt, only because it seems difficult to make. I do buy high-quality, refrigerated probiotics from Whole Foods and similar stores. Ultimate Flora is a good brand that seems to be compatible with SCD.

Best of luck...
06-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #380
BlueSky

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Easy Bake Oven SCD Yogurt: Try it at Home

I'm making SCD yogurt for the first time. I over-heated by first batch and killed the probiotics. It was delicious anyway and but am going to try again. But there is definitely a DIY element to making it.

The tough part is the last step, maintaining a low temperature between around 100 -110 degrees consistently for 24 hours. This is what produces the sought after low-lactose, high probiotics load that makes it a healing food for IBD folks. Many people who just want to make yogurt don't have to be so careful. But IBD patients are all looking for the set and forget temperature technique that will preserve the probiotics and make this yogurt easy.

They are a myriad of low temperature methods: yogurt makers are the gold standard; however people who test their yogurt makers with a thermometer sometimes find they are too hot for SCD yogurt. Other people use a water bath with a thermometer; Elaine G recommends a heating pad; some put their warn yogurt in a cooler over night with or without hot water bottles; and then they're my favorite: put your warm yogurt in your oven and turn the oven light on. No heat. Its an easy-bake oven for adults. I like this option because you can use a oven thermometer is be certain the oven is holding a consistent temperature, and then set and forget it. Sadly, I have a powerful light bulb I can't remove. So, yes, I'm making yogurt with my oven door cracked open slightly with a wooden spoon. What's the point?

Once you find your consistent heating method, you can make easy set and forget it yogurt. But there is a little Alton Brown/Mr Science element at the start. I've really enjoyed having dairy that causes no gas or urgency. And it is great as a condiment. Put it on oatmeal, add garlic for aioli on a hamburger, etc.

The other point is that SCD diets take a lot of time in shopping and making foods that most people buy. Its a wonderful, fun, and a self-nurturing process with great health rewards for IBD patients and the whole family.

It's only enjoyable and even possible however if you have the time and energy or family support. Otherwise it can get tough. I suspect many people like me start SCD when they're unemployed and/or disabled at home. Having a partner or parent who can cook and shop may be a necessary support. If you're actively suffering and too tired to move healthy diet production can be beyond reach and even make you feel inadequate. If you're working and exhausted it can also be hard.

However I strongly recommend giving it a try if you're at home and upright. You may be able to develop techniques that allow to you keep good food in your diet as you improve and have more demands on your time. In the meantime, I'm finding it a positive way to deal with being sidelined at home. The energy I put in creates food. That's more fun than reviewing test results.

If anybody has a temperature-tested yogurt make they want recommend please let know. I'd appreciate it.
06-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #381
BlueSky

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
SCD Yogurt:

Here's the yogurt video I found most helpful: Easy Yogurt Making In the Oven!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rfl7ZX95HQ
06-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #382
Pilgrim

My Support Groups:
The problem with dairy is LACTOSE. For many, if you can find dairy that doesn't have lactose, it is OK - such as the SCD yogurt you mentioned. SCD also allows cheddar cheese (as long as its lactose free) - most of the "Cabot" and "Cracker Barrel" brands are. Basically, the more it is aged, the less lactose it has and easier for people to eat. I've never had a problem with cheese as long as it's lactose free. I actually don't do the SCD yogurt, only because it seems difficult to make. I do buy high-quality, refrigerated probiotics from Whole Foods and similar stores. Ultimate Flora is a good brand that seems to be compatible with SCD.

Best of luck...
We used the yogurt maker Yogourmet and follow the directions for SCD as given to us by Lucy's Kitchen Shop. It was so easy. We used ours so much that we broke it, but plan to buy another ASAP.

Lactose free milk didn't work but yes, it must be the lactose in general. She can only tolerate GOOD quality cheddars and a few other types.

I wonder why lactose free milk was intolerable? Anyone have insights there? Could it be a protein thing?
06-07-2015, 09:25 PM   #383
a1000lies

My Support Groups:
Which specific diet are you working with?
I'm on the SCD. Most of my intake includes chicken, beef, peas & carrots, green beans, cashews, sunflower seeds (to control cravings and give me something to do), peanut butter, shakes (made with apples, bananas, blueberries, baby spinach, ice, and apple juice not made from concentrate and no added sugar)

I am not lactose intolerant but I notice whenever I have more than just a small amount of cheddar cheese I get symptoms that last me for a day or two so I try and avoid it most of the time.

I also have been drinking dry red wine sometimes with dinner or while relaxing before bed without any repercussions.
06-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #384
kingandsyd

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone, I'd like to start this new diet and eventually get off Humira. How anyone done this hear?
Bowel resection/ileostomy March 2014
Bowel Reversal May 2014

:-) Remission since March 2014
06-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #385
mvond5
Banned

My Support Groups:
Helminth Therapies is a good option to work with the diet.
06-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #386
JSBach327

My Support Groups:
a1000lies - best of luck as you continue the diet. Be careful about cheddar - only certain brands are free of lactose. Maybe you were eating a lactose containing brand? If it doesn't say either "lactose free" or 0g lactose per serving, you can bet it is chock full of it. "Aged" cheese is usually ok, too.

kingandsyd - I hate that you're having to take Humira. Not wanting to go on it myself is one of my biggest motivations for doing SCD. As bad as Crohn's is, Hepatosplenic T-Cell Lymphoma is worse. For some reason, mainly male patients have gotten this when taking Humira and 6MP simultaneously, so I guess if you're a woman you're relatively safe.

mvond5 - I've often wondered about this. Of course, I'm not sure about intentionally putting parasites in my body. My other big question is, would a doctor really agree to this, or would you have to pay out of pocket for a naturopathic doctor?

Best of luck to everyone with trying SCD!
06-13-2015, 01:46 AM   #387
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
I'm on the SCD. Most of my intake includes chicken, beef, peas & carrots, green beans, cashews, sunflower seeds (to control cravings and give me something to do), peanut butter, shakes (made with apples, bananas, blueberries, baby spinach, ice, and apple juice not made from concentrate and no added sugar)

I am not lactose intolerant but I notice whenever I have more than just a small amount of cheddar cheese I get symptoms that last me for a day or two so I try and avoid it most of the time.

I also have been drinking dry red wine sometimes with dinner or while relaxing before bed without any repercussions.
I am very interested in any "shake" recipes that anyone might have enjoyed and want to share. I am not on the SCD or Paleo Diets at this time.
06-13-2015, 01:54 AM   #388
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
I know that this is an SCD and Paleo Diet thread. But I was just wondering if anyone out there is a Vegan. Has anyone had any success with being a Vegan. I was a Vegetarian over 20 years ago and it was the best I had ever felt in my life. I really took pride in all of my hard work and effort in the shopping for and preparation of my meals. I would like to find this passion again. I just watched a very graphic animal farming video tonight and it was quit disturbing ( but it wasn't the first time I had seen this kind of inhumane treatment of animals ). Thanks for listening.
06-13-2015, 04:34 AM   #389
hugh

My Support Groups:
I know that this is an SCD and Paleo Diet thread. But I was just wondering if anyone out there is a Vegan. Has anyone had any success with being a Vegan. I was a Vegetarian over 20 years ago and it was the best I had ever felt in my life. I really took pride in all of my hard work and effort in the shopping for and preparation of my meals. I would like to find this passion again. I just watched a very graphic animal farming video tonight and it was quit disturbing ( but it wasn't the first time I had seen this kind of inhumane treatment of animals ). Thanks for listening.
You might want to check this out, "the hottest new fad" or a pretty sensible diet?
""Although they may sound completely at odds, the truth is Paleo and vegan diets have more in common with each other than either have with the standard American diet," says Mark Hyman, M.D., director of the Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine "

Why I am a Pegan – or Paleo-Vegan – and Why You Should Be Too!
http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/11/07/p...o-vegan/#close

or, if you would rather listen to a fairly thoughtful review of Dr Hynman's 'paleo-vegan' approach jump to 29:00 to 40:35 on this podcast.....
http://fly.5by5.tv/audio/broadcasts/.../paleo-125.mp3

Just to be clear though
-i don't eat this way, but i have no issues with it. I think it is a sensible diet.
After much experimentation i have found a moderate carb intake (paleo carbs (tubers) and white rice) suits me, and i eat much more meat than 'pegan'. I am trying to displace both with more veggies but i'm not too worried about it.
- if you have digestive issues you may need to transition to it, it would be unreasonable to start eating nuts and raw broccoli if you are in a flair. - Something like the SCD intro diet or FODMAPS elimination diet
-no diet is written in stone, work out what works for you

The other person i would consider reading up on is Denise Minger, thought by many vegans to be the anti-christ for her take-down of the great Colin T Campbell, but she has some good advice for those going vegan.....

"In no particular order of importance, here’s a summary of the list, followed by a more detailed version of each point:

Eat real food—no fake meats, processed soy products, vegan junk food, etc.
Avoid high omega-6 vegetable oils and take a vegan DHA supplement.
Supplement with vitamin K2.
Supplement with a vegan form of vitamin D3.
Enhance your beta carotene absorption and conversion.
Properly prepare any grains, legumes, or nuts you eat.
Maximize iron absorption using vitamin-C-rich foods.
Keep your thyroid in good shape.
Take vitamin B12.
Try going gluten-free.
Eat some fermented foods.
Supplement with taurine.
Consider adding oysters or other non-sentient bivalves to your diet."

for a detailed expansion of each point.......
http://rawfoodsos.com/for-vegans/

Last edited by hugh; 06-13-2015 at 04:56 AM.
06-13-2015, 05:56 AM   #390
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Hi Ann, I know there is a member here, VeganOstomy. I think he still posts regularly, but this is his website where you can contact him: http://www.veganostomy.ca/