Share Facebook

06-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #391
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
Hugh, thank you so much for all of the great resources. It is smart for everyone to be as informed as possible before making any kind of major changes in their life.

Funny you would mention Vitamin D ! I read my Vitamin D label and it contains gelatin, which comes from cows. There is gelatin in my Culturelle Probitics too.

I go to my Endocrinologist every 6 months. She is a good doctor. I have Hypothyroidism and do take medication for it. Plus I have 3 nodules on my thyroid and one is growing.

Tubers, rice, pasta are all foods that do not bother my tummy at all. But I have not been able to eat seafood for at least over 20 years, makes me really sick. I already take B12. Yeah, all those vegan and vegetarian frozen foods are no better than regular frozen foods. Foods really need to be prepared from scratch at home. But, eek, raw fruits and vegetables give me diarrhea ( except bananas and potatoes).....I will have to figure out what to do about that.

I really want to make one of my meals each day a smoothie ( morning). Liquid, pulverized food agrees with my gut. I like to use fresh carrot juice.

Lots to think about, but that is good for me. I have not taken much interest in ANYTHING for a LONG while. Exploring the Vegan world should be very educational and interesting. I will eventually find out what works for me.

I am still thinking about that horrific cow, pig, chicken video I watched last night. I did not really realize how inhumane those "industries" were ( dairy farming, raising cows for food, raising chickens for food and raising pigs for food.). But when I saw a farmer deliberately torturing an animal just for his own pleasure I was totally horrified.

Thanks for listening. :-)
06-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #392
hugh

My Support Groups:
I go to my Endocrinologist every 6 months. She is a good doctor. I have Hypothyroidism and do take medication for it. Plus I have 3 nodules on my thyroid and one is growing.

Tubers, rice, pasta are all foods that do not bother my tummy at all. But I have not been able to eat seafood for at least over 20 years, makes me really sick. I already take B12. Foods really need to be prepared from scratch at home. But, eek, raw fruits and vegetables give me diarrhea ( except bananas and potatoes).....I will have to figure out what to do about that.

I am still thinking about that horrific cow, pig, chicken video I watched last night. I did not really realize how inhumane those "industries" were ( dairy farming, raising cows for food, raising chickens for food and raising pigs for food.). But when I saw a farmer deliberately torturing an animal just for his own pleasure I was totally horrified.

Thanks for listening. :-)
Just two points......
I would seriously look at avoiding gluten if you have any auto-immune condiition. (I would eliminate it anyway. Rice and tubbers are probably OK but ditch the bread/past as and see if thyroid improves( google it).
Secondly, it is possible to get ethically raised meat. You don't need much, organ meat is best from grass fed animals.
06-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #393
lenny

My Support Groups:
Of course, being vegan I disagree that one can purchase ethically raised meat. It's an oxymoron. However, when my son was being starved by his digestive system, I put his health above my ethics and bought and cooked meat for him and I would do it again, if I thought he needed me to.

I spent half of my childhood on a farm where the animals were treated quite well, but it was still bad for them in the end.
06-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #394
Basmah

My Support Groups:
Hi lenny, I respect your stance on vegetarianism. That being said, it's so hard for Crohnies like me to absorb any nutrient, and my best chance for protein and fat right now are meat products. So I make sure I buy ethically raised animals - local, free range, grass fed. It's expensive, but I hardly spend my money on anything else, so it's worth it.

I just wish there was a grass fed halal farm nearby (Islamically based) because That way I would know that the animals are treated well, and they won't see their friends being killed - I don't know if that's the case in most farms, though.
06-14-2015, 04:10 AM   #395
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
But, eek, raw fruits and vegetables give me diarrhea ( except bananas and potatoes).....I will have to figure out what to do about that.

I really want to make one of my meals each day a smoothie ( morning). Liquid, pulverized food agrees with my gut. I like to use fresh carrot juice.
On the how are you feeling today? thread, you said fibre is not a problem for you. But in that case I'm wondering what your problem is with fruits and vegetables, especially because juices, bananas and (skinless) potatoes are some of the few fruits and vegetables (or forms of fruits and vegetables) that are usually ok on a low fibre diet. If fruits and vegetables generally give you diarrhoea, but juice, bananas and potatoes don't, I would think that you do have trouble with fibre.
06-14-2015, 09:46 PM   #396
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
On the how are you feeling today? thread, you said fibre is not a problem for you. But in that case I'm wondering what your problem is with fruits and vegetables, especially because juices, bananas and (skinless) potatoes are some of the few fruits and vegetables (or forms of fruits and vegetables) that are usually ok on a low fibre diet. If fruits and vegetables generally give you diarrhoea, but juice, bananas and potatoes don't, I would think that you do have trouble with fibre.
Since this is the SCD/Paleo thread I will talk about fibre at a later date on a different thread. I am tired today and resting. It is 104 degrees at 7:45pm and due to be 111 degrees tomorrow ! Everyone have a healthy week. Goodnight.
06-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #397
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Only answer if/when you want to.
06-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #398
rkarlalim

My Support Groups:
Hi there! My husband has UC for 9 years now. He's been on a flare up for about 8 months now, and we've tried almost all of these things you've all mentioned here. We were on the Paleo diet for about 1.5 months but there was just no difference whatsoever. When we reintroduced it, his BMs were the same frequency and shape. The only difference was that he lost weight, but we're not really hoping for him to lose weight. Have any of you experienced the lack of success of all these diets?
06-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #399
JSBach327

My Support Groups:
I have Crohn's, not UC, but SCD has been pretty successful for me. I can't say I'm 100% symptom free, but I'm 100% medication free, and that's how I want to stay for as long as possible, possibly indefinitely.
07-19-2015, 04:33 AM   #400
vivica

My Support Groups:
Hello, new here.
My daughter,21, Has Crohn.
I am a new naturopth and a Gaps practitioner but I have no experience. I think i do need support in taking care of my daughter. You guys seem very experienced to me.
Wish you all good.
07-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #401
hugh

My Support Groups:
Hi there! My husband has UC for 9 years now. He's been on a flare up for about 8 months now, and we've tried almost all of these things you've all mentioned here. We were on the Paleo diet for about 1.5 months but there was just no difference whatsoever. When we reintroduced it, his BMs were the same frequency and shape. The only difference was that he lost weight, but we're not really hoping for him to lose weight. Have any of you experienced the lack of success of all these diets?
Sorry to hear that you haven't had good results with the paleo diet. Maybe you could start a new post with your actual diet and we can offer suggestions.....
Diets like SCD and GAPS have an introduction phase and then a gradual reintroduction of 'legal' foods to make sure the individual tolerates them. There are plenty of ' legal' foods that an individual probably shouldn't be eating (as well as 'illegal' foods that may be fine). I would suggest starting at the Scd intro diet and adding/testing foods one at a time, but also checking what you are eating to make sure it is 'legal'/tolerated.
08-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #402
Joćo

My Support Groups:
Hello!

I started three days ago eliminating all ilegal food according to the SCD. I used to eat many grains and potatoes, wich I think was most of my energy source. I start the diet eating fish, green beans, carrots, beets, pumpkin and eggplant. Today I'm feeling waek and unfocused, but I noticed a little good change in my stools (2 BMs). I think I lost some weight, but it may be just my psychological state. In the next few days I'll introduce avocadoes, nuts, ripe bananas, baked apples, honey and butter. I'm too skinny (62kg and 176cm) to test all foods with caution, so I hope it works well. If it doesn't, I will give a full try when I take short-course of pred.

Wish you all best of luck!
08-23-2015, 11:06 PM   #403
a1000lies

My Support Groups:
Hello!

I started three days ago eliminating all ilegal food according to the SCD. I used to eat many grains and potatoes, wich I think was most of my energy source. I start the diet eating fish, green beans, carrots, beets, pumpkin and eggplant. Today I'm feeling waek and unfocused, but I noticed a little good change in my stools (2 BMs). I think I lost some weight, but it may be just my psychological state. In the next few days I'll introduce avocadoes, nuts, ripe bananas, baked apples, honey and butter. I'm too skinny (62kg and 176cm) to test all foods with caution, so I hope it works well. If it doesn't, I will give a full try when I take short-course of pred.

Wish you all best of luck!
I had what I believe was the "carb flu" as well when I abruptly stopped eating all illegal foods for SCD and started a diet of just meat, vegetables, and fruit. For about a week I felt awful. I was tired, weak, massive headaches (I never get headaches) and was having anxiety. Most of these symptoms subsided GREATLY after that week of time. I saw results within a few weeks and feel completely "normal" currently.

I did cheat for about a month drinking beers a few nights a week and also indulging in potato chips. For the first two weeks I felt okay, but then my first flare up (about half as bad as normal) crept right in and caused me symptoms for about a week. I swore off cheating and recovered pretty fast and am back to normal again.

Keep it up! I hope its working for you, it has changed my life completely. This diet is the only thing that has turned my life 180 degrees. Good luck!
10-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #404
TryingDiets

My Support Groups:
Hey all,

After 2.5 Yrs of working through Gaps, SCD and Paleo Autoimmune(No Nightshades, Eggs, Nuts) I have found what works for me. I'll bet some of this will work for you. It is worth a try to get off the meds. Cheap Medicine.

I have no symptoms as long as I am mindful of my sensitivities.

There are two "Axis of Aggravation" for my diet. Starch Aggravation and Inflammatory Aggravation.

Inflammatory Aggravation

Paleo Autoimmune Protocol (google this) asks that we, as autoimmune individuals, be mindful of the inflammatory properties of grains, dairy, eggs, nuts and nightshades. Nightshades include tomatoes, peppers, paprika, eggplant, and some other less common veg.

My body notices when I ingest the following, in order of aggravation index:
1.Gluten (highly inflammatory, immediate discomfort)
2.Nightshades (takes 1-3 days to feel the impact)
3.Dairy (is no problem for some)
3.Eggs (are no problem for some)
4.Nuts (are no problem if soaked in salt water overnight and dried in a dehydrator/oven)

Symptoms include headache, diarrhea, mental fog, constipation.

Starch aggravation

Comes from what my guts tell me when I have had something with the SCD/GAPS illegal carbohydrates. It is basically an index of how much volume I have accidentally ingested. Please refer to these diets to understand the trouble with certain types of carbs. I can not explain it gracefully, and there is a lot of data out there to lay it out.

Symptoms include abdominal pressure and crippling pain, diarrhea, vomiting.

I understand that it is important to be very strict for 4-6 weeks. Following that, just be mindful of what bothers you while trying to stick to the SCD starch restrictions.

I live without any symptoms. I make fermented sauerkraut (Google this) and pickled vegetables to boost good gut bacteria.

I take no medication apart from a great probiotic called SPOREBIOTIC which is the only probiotic I have noticed making a difference for me.

It sucks to give up these common foods. It is socially uncomfortable to stick to these restrictions. It can be easy when remembering; "It is just food, and I have lots of delicious options within these guidelines"

There are thousands of delicious recipes out there for this lifestyle. The crock pot is an incredible resource.

We had fun with pizza for part of our lives, it is ok to let it go and be honest with friends and family that it does not work for you. Don't get discouraged. Wellness is priceless.

Last edited by TryingDiets; 10-25-2015 at 11:26 AM. Reason: mispelling(sp?)
10-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #405
Pilgrim

My Support Groups:
Hey all,

After 2.5 Yrs of working through Gaps, SCD and Paleo Autoimmune(No Nightshades, Eggs, Nuts) I have found what works for me. I'll bet some of this will work for you. It is worth a try to get off the meds. Cheap Medicine.

I have no symptoms as long as I am mindful of my sensitivities.

There are two "Axis of Aggravation" for my diet. Starch Aggravation and Inflammatory Aggravation.

Inflammatory Aggravation

Paleo Autoimmune Protocol (google this) asks that we, as autoimmune individuals, be mindful of the inflammatory properties of grains, dairy, eggs, nuts and nightshades. Nightshades include tomatoes, peppers, paprika, eggplant, and some other less common veg.

My body notices when I ingest the following, in order of aggravation index:
1.Gluten (highly inflammatory, immediate discomfort)
2.Nightshades (takes 1-3 days to feel the impact)
3.Dairy (is no problem for some)
3.Eggs (are no problem for some)
4.Nuts (are no problem if soaked in salt water overnight and dried in a dehydrator/oven)

Symptoms include headache, diarrhea, mental fog, constipation.

Starch aggravation

Comes from what my guts tell me when I have had something with the SCD/GAPS illegal carbohydrates. It is basically an index of how much volume I have accidentally ingested. Please refer to these diets to understand the trouble with certain types of carbs. I can not explain it gracefully, and there is a lot of data out there to lay it out.

Symptoms include abdominal pressure and crippling pain, diarrhea, vomiting.

I understand that it is important to be very strict for 4-6 weeks. Following that, just be mindful of what bothers you while trying to stick to the SCD starch restrictions.

I live without any symptoms. I make fermented sauerkraut (Google this) and pickled vegetables to boost good gut bacteria.

I take no medication apart from a great probiotic called SPOREBIOTIC which is the only probiotic I have noticed making a difference for me.

It sucks to give up these common foods. It is socially uncomfortable to stick to these restrictions. It can be easy when remembering; "It is just food, and I have lots of delicious options within these guidelines"

There are thousands of delicious recipes out there for this lifestyle. The crock pot is an incredible resource.

We had fun with pizza for part of our lives, it is ok to let it go and be honest with friends and family that it does not work for you. Don't get discouraged. Wellness is priceless.
Could you give us a list of what types of food you can eat?
11-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #406

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone! I'm new here, and currently figuring out whether I have Crohn's or Colitis, but tests show it is definitely one of them, and we're leaning towards Crohn's based on symptoms. Still seeking an official decision, though.

8-10 years ago I was diagnosed with Celiac disease and then also pancreatic enzyme insufficiency, both of which I've been able to handle very successfully via diet (after having been undiagnosed for the first 30 years of my life). Having those conditions lead me down the path of nutrition, and I became a Certified Nutritional Therapist and GAPS Practitioner.

Since then, I've helped many others heal their IBDs via GAPS, so I'm looking forward to becoming my own case study, and documenting it in a way that can help others.
11-10-2015, 12:37 AM   #407
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
I'm wondering what the best/most popular cookbook or resource might be for low FODMAP diets? I have Crohn's & my six year old is going in for endoscopy this week. She has skin issues as well as stomach issues so I'm trying to read up on possible diagnoses that aren't Crohn's (one of the worst case scenarios in my head right now). A friend who's an allergist said he would t be surprised if she ends up on a low FODMAP diet.
11-14-2015, 06:31 AM   #408
hugh

My Support Groups:
I'm wondering what the best/most popular cookbook or resource might be for low FODMAP diets?
Fodmaps cookbooks may be of limited value because people have problems with different fermentable sugars.
Fodmaps diets are elimination diets, stop eating anything that might be a problem and reintroduce them slowly to work out which ones are a problem'

The idea is to work out which ones affect YOU, not to avoid all foods containing FODMAPS
FODMAPS is a 'diet' designed to help you work out which foods you can digest well and is really only a (very helpful) short term thing. Different long chain carbohydrates break down and ferment with the help of different enzymes and are fed on by (to some degree) different bacteria.
By eliminating and reintroducing them you can work out which ones are tolerated and which are not,
The FODMAPS are not the only issue in foods (you may tolerate the carbohydrates in wheat but the proteins might be doing serious damage) so it is useful for identifying what gives you pain and gas and can help a lot with quality of life but it (FODMAPS) does not make any claims about being a cure/treatment/whatever.

It does not address WHY these sugars are not being digested but in combination with paleo or SCD might be very useful [1]

I found this podcast very useful.....
(not so much the article, just scroll down to the podcast)

http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/09/dr-s...et-podcast-45/

and.....
[1] "How can you treat FODMAP intolerance?
First, addressing intestinal bacterial overgrowth or imbalance is key; even if you don’t have IBS, gut dysbiosis can lead to poor digestive function as well as contributing to FODMAP intolerance. There are a few gut-healing protocols available today, such as the GAPS Diet or the Specific Carbohydrate Diet; my personal approach is similar to an autoimmune Paleo diet.
"
http://chriskresser.com/fodmaps-coul...estive-health/

http://www.siboinfo.com/diet.html
http://paleoleap.com/fodmaps-and-paleo/

Last edited by hugh; 11-14-2015 at 06:50 AM.
12-15-2015, 08:21 PM   #409
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have had a couple of bad days. My wife asked if I could get specifics about the SCD diet?
12-15-2015, 10:06 PM   #410
vcp420

My Support Groups:
My son has been on the SCD for 2.5 years. He was already eating gluten free, lactose free, etc., but going all in on the SCD made the difference. His Remicade was barely working and the diet completely turned him around. The bible.of SCD is Breaking the Vicious Cycle. It is not that helpful in the specifics of what to do. I found the staged approach discussed on the SCD Lifestyle website and ebook to be very helpful. Within weeks of starting the diet and following the SCDlifestyle phases, all of his symptoms went away and his labwork became completely normal. You have nothing to lose by trying a dietary therapy. Diet can be a great compliment to any medication regimen. The SCD diet has prevented my son from needing an increase in his remicade. Good luck.
12-15-2015, 10:46 PM   #411
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks

12-18-2015, 10:03 PM   #412
hugh

My Support Groups:
I have had a couple of bad days. My wife asked if I could get specifics about the SCD diet?
SCD Lifestyle's quick start guide
free download
http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

The intro diet is a fairly important part of the diet,
you can't just switch from sugar to honey, muffins to nut flour muffins etc

two of he best websites on SCD
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/home/
http://www.pecanbread.com/index.html

I now think of SCD as a restrictive temporary measure (months or years), not a long term diet.
12-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #413
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks, Hugh.

12-18-2015, 10:15 PM   #414
hugh

My Support Groups:
Added a couple of links to last post, happy to help if i can but every SCD diet is personalised.
After the intro you reintroduce foods to see if they are tolerated, so different people will be able to add different foods at different rates.
Listen to the FODMAPS podcast i posted earlier as it pairs perfectly with the SCD intro diet and might save you a lot of time/trouble
01-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #415
SB7

My Support Groups:
I started the SCD diet after being diagnosed back in 2008, after reading Elaine's book. I feel it really helped me as long as I stayed on the diet. My trouble was always starting to feel better like maybe I really didn't have Crohn's. That was always when the trouble began. I went on and off of it for a while, always doing better when I was strict.

Started going to a traditional chinese medicine doctor/accupuncturist. She put me on a seasonal diet and wanted me to eat some things which are illegal with SCD.

Like all diets you really have to see what works for you. Some foods do not cause issues with me and some do. I seem to always go back and feel more confident with SCD, again with what works for me.
04-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #416
Rrahman

My Support Groups:
Joining in. My daughter is on SCD. We truly believe SCD can help cure her crohn's.
04-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #417
ConshyMom

My Support Groups:
Hello everyone,

New to Crohn's (my 11 year old son) and the possibility of SCD. Am excited to meet and chat with everyone who uses SCD about ways for us to transition to it. Have read BTVC and have started experimenting with recipes that my son will eat. Our biggest drawback is that he is also nut allergic and we are restricted to coconut flour recipes. Any good coconut flour sandwich bread recipes out there? Also looking for an SCD support network in the Philly area.

Thanks for any help!
04-11-2016, 03:22 AM   #418
Marwa

My Support Groups:
Hi all,
I've just joined looking for support with starting the GAPS diet. Planning on starting it tomorrow. I've been preparing for 2 months, stopped sugar and all grains 2 months ago and switched my meats and eggs to free range and organic. Fermented sauerkraut and sauerkraut juice. I'm a firm believer of the diet and I changed all of my cleaning products and toiletrees to toxin free ones. A little overwhelmed now and scared to start. I guess I'm worried il make a mistake and accidentally eat a vegetable I'm not supposed to. If I do make a mistake, do I have to start all over or can I just move on ?
04-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #419
Rrahman

My Support Groups:
Hi, my daughter is on scd. Challenging? Yes. But doable. Last year we let her eat SCD illegal foods every now and then and her flares were more frequent than when we are following SCD closely. I truly believe SCD can help (with time). Juicing also helps. The base of our green juice recipe is organic celery. Trader Joe's sells the cheapest organic celery. Then I add Romaine Hearts, apple/pineapple and sometimes spinach or kale. There are many juicing recipes online.
04-13-2016, 04:15 AM   #420
crohnattak

My Support Groups:
I find misunderstandings in the paleolithic diet is mainly meat, but the meat does not cause putrefaction and consequently inflammation?