Share Facebook

06-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #121
Dee Dorset

My Support Groups:
Hi Paul good luck with the scan. I always like reading your posts, I want to copy your attitude. Thanks for the wry humour and honesty.
06-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #122
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
Thanks Dee. Humor is essential. I worry if I lose more weight I might fall down the plug hole. I worry about meds, doctors, side effects. I worry if I am losing too much training time for the Olympics. But I hope also - that we'll all find a solution or at least an accommodation for this disease.

If I want a food laugh I just look at some of the elaborate deathbed scenarios I have conjured up as well as the spontaneous total remission etc etc, cause those things don't happen.

Dean Martin said that he pitied people who didn't wake up with a hangover. How would they be sure to feel better as the day progressed. With Crohns there is a reasonable chance of feeling better tomorrow than today if you do everything right. Many on this planet are not so lucky.
06-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #123
Nrthngrl

My Support Groups:
Hello everyone! I would love to join this group but for different reasons then others in this group. I have no choice but to eat a specific way. I've been diagnosed with Fructose Malabsorption which means that I follow a very strict low FODMAP diet. My food choices are extremely limited in that a majority of fruits and veggies are off my list. Needless to say trying to balance a healthy diet that works for my UC is becoming increasingly difficult. AND...meds have to be low in FODMAP's as well. Foods that are good for my UC (in a healing way) are no go's for my FM. I'm currently going through a flare and am struggling to find things that will help me through it. My GI/Internist suggested Ducolax to combat constipation but when I looked it up there is a specific warning that says not to take with FM or IBD's. ?!? Any ideas on what to take to help me out?
Fructose Malabsorption
Post Cholecystectomy Syndrome

Ursidiol C 250mg
Pentasa 1000mg/BID
Mesavant2.4g
Lodalis 625mg

"The Food You Eat Can Be Either The Safest & Most Powerful Form Of Medicine OR The Slowest Form Of Poison."
06-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #124
brahm

My Support Groups:
I've been taking a product called "Calm". Of course you will have to check the label to see if it conflicts with your condition. I believe you can get it unsweetened (unflavoured). It's a magnesium drink available at health food stores.
Good luck!
06-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #125
Amy2

My Support Groups:
Salon just completely tore up the Paleo diet.
06-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #126
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Salon just completely tore up the Paleo diet.
Oh, well, I wouldn't say they tore the paleo diet up. The article didn't seem much different from the other negative ones I've read lately.

The paleo diet has become very popular of late and with that comes attention. Many people seem to be feeling better on the paleo diet, and additionally many are being successful at loosing weight - which seems to cause the diet to have some staying power.

I've seen though in the scientific diet community some are questioning the future for the diet. Thought this a nice video on this. One form or another of the diet will likely be sticking around.

"The Paleo Movement of a Hundred Years Ago"

http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-paleo-...dred-years-ago

from Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt's write up:

The Paleo Movement of a Hundred Years Ago

Is the Paleo movement something new, or is it just a repetition of something that has happened before?

The lecture that impressed me the most at the Ancestral Health Symposium 2012 has just been posted online. Here’s Hamilton Stapell, Ph.D., comparing the Paleo movement to the “Physical Culture” movement of the early 1900′s. The similarities are startling. Better diet with less sugar and processed crap? Check. Strenght training á la Crossfit? Yep. Intermittent fasting? Sure. Sun exposure? Yes. Barefoot walking? Absolutely.

Both movements are about a “return to nature” in a stressful and disorienting new world, according to Stapell. They’re a reaction to rapid social, economic and technological changes.

If the movement of the early 1900′s were a reaction to the Second Industrial Revolution, the Paleo movement of today is a reaction to the Digital Revolution (sometimes called the Third Industrial Revolution).

Stapell’s argument raises some intriguing questions. Will the fast-growing Paleo movement of today go mainstream, or will it stay fringe until it fizzles out? Stapell was asked that in the Q&A (not in the video). He hesitated a bit and then said that… no, he did not believe Paleo will go mainstream.

I think Stapell might be right. This “return to nature” Paleo concept is very powerful today, but in ten years time running around barefoot might feel very passé.

What I believe is truly important is to make some core concepts in the original Paleo movement go mainstream. Like the focus on human evolution for understanding what’s likely to be healthy today (followed by controlled trials to prove it, of course). And most of all, in the middle of a disastrous epidemic of obesity and diabetes, to realize that we are not genetically adapted to today’s extremely insulinogenic processed high carb junk food.
[/QUOTE]
06-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #127
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
After feeling perfect for few weeks, son has had 2 bad days in a row, now. Says things just don't feel like they're moving correctly and had one bout of diarrhea on Tuesday night and hasn't gone again since. Hasn't eaten a lot, either. He's had low energy, too.

Late last night he had a cup of pureed baby spinach (for iron) and a smoothie and said he felt better, but his calories were very low for the day, around a thousand.

Is this what remission looks like?
Elaine says to expect temporary setbacks here and there for up to the first year. These are becoming less and less common. It is okay. Hang in there.
Enteral Nutrition
06-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #128
Irishtarheel

My Support Groups:
Hi Jbpharmd, I saw your post and wanted to add that I had been on the SCD for awhile with some improvement in symptoms, but had a hard time with particular foods (as anyone can with individual tolerances, of course). It turned out that these particular foods such as chicken broth(w/ onion, garlic), honey, avocados, coconut, pumpkin, stone fruits (peaches, plums), etc., were aggravating my symptoms (especially upper GI-GERD, as well as lower GI) because I had developed SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)--pretty common to Crohnnies. After I was diagnosed and treated for that (with Xifaxan) I went on the low-FODMAPS diet for SIBO maintenance, specifically. It is quite similar to SCD, with some tweaks to eliminate, or lower portions, of FODMAP foods and it has helped me a great deal in the past 2 years to alleviate SIBO/Crohns symptoms. I mention this due to your sensitivity to chicken broth and the fact that SCD does allow garlic and onions, etc. Didn't know if your broth had any seasoning... Anyway, if one is interested in SCD and notices issues with a host of FODMAP bearing (fermentable carbs that create excess gas/water in intestines) foods, it's worth investigating the connection with Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth and how it mimics Crohns symptoms. Best of luck. I know it can all seem like a lot to take in, and sometimes frustrating but, overall, it's great to head in the direction of your personalized foodplan and hopefully, feeling improvements! Take care.

IBS since my 20's; Crohns 2001 @ 41
Major Flare, ileo-cecal resection 2001
Diag. SIBO 2011; 3 SIBO flareups
Past Meds: Prednisone & Pentasa-allergic (2001),
Entocort (2009), Xifaxan-30 days (2011,12,13)
Current Meds: HRT mitigates my symptoms+
Low FODMAPs Diet, SCD yogurt & broth
Supp: Multivit.; Calcium w/ D/Mag.; B-12 sub-lingual; Nordic Nat'ls Ultimate Omega; Blood Builder Vegan Iron
Vitamin D-50,000IU 8 wks.,now 2,000IU
06-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #129
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
Not going great here. Must now be two months on the diet. The diarrhea seems to have improved some days. However I am getting more discomfort than before and especially also up under the ribcage. Not blaming this on the diet, which is giving me enough calories, but I am still losing weight. All fat gone and muscle reducing now. Don't think Prednisone is doing me any good but no alternative at present.

Recent colonoscopy clear to the extent the Crohns diagnosis has been questioned and a subsequent MRI of the small intestine also clear.

However, for the diet I shall hang in there because I must give it a fair chance and anyway I actually like the SCD diet and miss little. However I do wonder if I should have done more of an elimination process.
06-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #130
Dee Dorset

My Support Groups:
Hi I have seen a few posts about SCD/fodmap combo diets. I have just started eating again after a 9week elemental diet and I am doing low fodmaps combined with SCD. So I can have broth but it is from stock made from chicken bones a carrot and bay leaf and now a week on, added celery but the celery removed after stock made. The diet so far is really plain chicken or fish soup, small amount of carrot and squash and eggs. I am following the pecan bread reintroduction plan. So far so good, all seems quiet down there! From what I understand SCD cuts out fermentable carbs and fodmaps fermentable sugars? I am doing it under supervision and still taking the elemental drinks as it is really hard to get the calories. Had some really nice support on my journey blog and everyone says go slow on the reintroduction.
XXX
06-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #131
Irishtarheel

My Support Groups:
Hi Dee! I wish I could say that SCD cuts out fermentable carbs/sugars, but unfortunately it doesn't. It allows many of them---which are, of course, then limited, or eliminated entirely, based on individual tolerances. If one is FODMAP sensitive, and sees a lot of that, best to investigate low-FODMAPS & SIBO.

Check out the links on the SIBO wiki page of this forum and you'll see the food lists that limit or eliminate many items that are on the SCD "Allowed" list, such as honey (a major FODMAP fermentable offender), etc.

There are also links for it on many highly-regarded teaching hospitals GI Departments sites such as Stanford University, CA, UVa - University of VA, Universitys in Canada, as well as Kings College, London, and Monash University, Australia (Alfred Medical Hospital)--the Univ. hospital who spearheaded most of the research. I hope that helps as far as more info. for your personal situation and any food reactions. Hope your journey goes well!
06-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #132
Dee Dorset

My Support Groups:
Hello back! I think I wrote my post clumsily what I meant to say I was really interested in you post because I am trying to follow a the SCD diet and Fodmap diet together. So I have cut out all the SCD illegals and then also cut out all the fodmap ones too, so no onions and garlic, apples and pears, honey etc. My dietician is supporting me but would have preferred that I go for a straight fodmap list but I wanted to try the combo and then if possible add in things way down the line in an elimination. So far feel really good but I have only managed 500-600 calories in food so still pretty reliant on elemental drinks, but it has only been 10 days. All the best Dee.
06-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #133
scooby100

My Support Groups:
Well done Dee. Elimination is a tricky stage - and the approach u are taking make a lot of sense, especially after coming out of elemental diet. My suggestion would be to start GAPS intro diet (from our experience its a good starting point), and start adding to it slowly different foods as per your tolerance or combined SCD / FODMAP list u are preparing - key is not to rush.

Paul - good news that all tests are 'clean' - but understand the frustration with the diets results or unexplained symptoms. if I may suggest - 1. go back to basics - strict intro diet and slowly adding foods. don't forget to eat FATs, plenty of them (animal fat, or ghee or coconut oil or all together.....) 2. Read the Perfect health diet book - http://perfecthealthdiet.com/ and see if the answer for your case is there.
06-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #134
Irishtarheel

My Support Groups:
Good luck, Dee. I actually did the same thing, combining SCD and FODMAPS, at the elimination phase, because I was at a point where I was sooooo scared about my situation and was feeling so incredibly awful and fatigued 24/7. It does take time and patience and I bet you'll see some positive results as you go forward. You are obviously already an optimist by giving all this a try and that in itself will serve you well! To date, I have a pretty good menu for myself and enjoy (unsweetened) Almond Milk smoothies--with ripe bananas, peanut butter, spinach, and sometimes some berries thrown in as well! It's worth the wait...Best wishes and hang in there!
06-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #135
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
Ok everybody let us start by saying I am off the SCD diet. It is all positive though because I have found a naturopath here locally who talks the same language in health terms and we are going to follow a similar French diet which is a bit like the full SCD but without any dairy or egg white. That will present a challenge but I am going to get back slowly into fruit and veg and rice, since my tests are clear as to inflammation. Interestingly she was recommended by my general doctor and she very much doubts the Crohns diagnosis as well. We are going to treat it with diet, maybe a little behavioural therapy and she gave me a first colon cleanse today which made me feel great afterwards. Truly I feel like a door has opened that I have to walk through and into the fresh air. As I say that my guts rumble a bit but Rome wasn't built in a day. It's all in French but mine is OK and finally I am talking the same language in terms of what my symptoms are and how they all relate. I wouldn't have been ready for this unless I had already been on SCD and seen that different approaches cure different people but the important thing is feedback and belief, neither of which has been forthcoming from my gastro guy. Still, on reflection he has done the important job of ruling out the nasties and he is no doubt right to have refused me Azathiopirine.

Anyway I have chosen a road which is not far away from SCD and as the success of it becomes apparent I will share it on the forum. Particularly as there may be some French speakers out there who might benefit. Diet reference book is L'Alimentation ou La Troisieme Medecine by Doctor Jean Seignalet.

Wish me luck! Actually the more I look this new diet is almost the same as Paleo apart from some issues of soy, nuts etc.

Last edited by Paul Cronk; 06-25-2013 at 11:38 AM.
06-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #136
brahm

My Support Groups:
Good luck Paul!
I continue with the SCD with alterations. e.g. no nuts!!
Tomorrow going to try to add oatmeal.
I too have lost a great deal of weight and my Crohns is considered mild and there have been suggestions that it is IBS rather than IBD that is causing the problems - but yet the pain persists.I see diet as the solution and like you continue to search for foods that don't irritate the gut.
06-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #137
Irishtarheel

My Support Groups:
Wonderful news, Paul. Best wishes with the Naturopath and that you continue to feel better and so positive.

NrthrnGrl, I just caught up with your last post and don't know what to offer other than what my GI has directed me, personally, regarding my own Crohns. You can glean from it what suits/is allowed for you personally. I was told to stay away from harsh laxatives/stimulant laxatives such as Dulcolax,/stimulant teas, or stool softeners. So, what now, right?! Always so ironic to be discussing constipation, as an IBD'r, but certainly far from amusing.

Since I am also directed to be on LFM's foodplan, like you, for fructose mal, etc., my personal go-to's allowed on LFM's are ripe, soft bananas (LOTS of freckles on them, but not all gooey yet!) and ripe cantaloupe, and lots of water, of course. I can tolerate making smoothies with pulverized spinach in them, but that may not be for you right now. I've always been told that SOLUBLE FIBER is the ticket for my Crohns, and that may pertain to UC, too? LFM's legals such as oats, oat bran, rice bran, quinoa, ripe bananas, cantaloupe, green tea (boosts "metabolism"), perhaps oats & banana in a almond milk smoothie? I have no affiliation with this whatsoever, but I follow this RD's blog for LFM's and here's a post regarding FIBER WITHOUT FODMAPS. Hope it helps!

http://blog.katescarlata.com/fodmaps...thout-fodmaps/
06-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #138
Dee Dorset

My Support Groups:
All the best Paul glad you have someone to work together with, hope the weight goes on and the only rumbles get fewer!
06-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #139
isabelle

Hi All! Anyone out there doing a ketogenic diet? I've been on SCD/Gaps for the last couple of years, now restricting carbs and adding lots of fat and feeling really good (although I am on 40 mgs of Prednisone while waiting for the TPMT test to come back). Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with Keto?
06-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #140
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi All! Anyone out there doing a ketogenic diet? I've been on SCD/Gaps for the last couple of years, now restricting carbs and adding lots of fat and feeling really good (although I am on 40 mgs of Prednisone while waiting for the TPMT test to come back). Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with Keto?
The only person I've seen eating a ketogenic diet is form follower InstantCoffee. He wrote about his experience at:

"Success through diet"

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=46018
06-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #141
piscesz37

My Support Groups:
Sorry but what is SCD diet? I followed a few people to this posting site. Thanks
06-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #142
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
As can be imagined the SCD diet is a popular diet for those with GI issues. It's by and large an eating plan where grains are avoided, and probiotic rich foods are eaten.

The SCD book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall is commonly used as a guide to the diet.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

To add, the GAP diet, another popular GI book is based upon the SCD diet, with a few extra twists to it.

http://gapsdiet.com/
06-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #143
isabelle

Thank you for the info, Beach! :-)
06-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #144
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
isabelle - keep us informed on how the Keto diet is going! In the health sights I visit, there seems to be a good amount of attention of late with a ketogenic diet and the positive impact it can have on health, in particular with brain health and building further upon Otto Warburg's cancer prevention work. Would be neat if the diet additionally helped those with severe Gi issues too.
06-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #145
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think it sounds like a reasonable move, Paul. You know how I feel about the dairy anyway. I think everyone should avoid it at first! Good luck and keep us posted.

Have you ever considered weaning off the prednisone? It could be causing your upper GI pain?
06-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #146
isabelle

Yes, I will keep everyone updated on this experiment. I've been on a ketogenic diet for 9 days now. I eat only meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, some berries, oils, and animal fats. I follow all the rules of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet but also don't (can't) eat dairy, nuts, honey, most fruit, saccharin and probably some other stuff I can't think of right now. I keep track of everything I eat, counting up how many grams of fat, protein, and net carbs I eat each day. My daily goal is 145 g fat, 100 g protein, and 25 g max of net carbs. Keto means eating a modest amount of protein, which I really like, because I don't love eating tons and tons of meat. My protein intake consists of 3 eggs in the morning and about 5 oz of meat with my other two meals, which seems really reasonable and not excessive. I actually have trouble eating 145 g of fat every day, but I'm working on it... I've always loved fatty foods and I love eating as much olive oil, coconut oil, fatty pork chops, chicken with the skin on as I want! Plus, I'm feeling very satisfied after all my meals. I really, really wish I could eat butter, but alas...

I've noticed a few things so far: Although I'm on 40 mgs of Prednisone, I'm not eating compulsively or having any blood sugar ups and downs like I did last time I was on Pred, and although I haven't weighed myself, my body has changed. I was already slim, but my soft places have tightened up significantly and my jeans fit looser. Also, I can go a lot longer without eating or feeling hungry and my normally slightly crohn's-y tender stomach is very flat.

SCD and dietary changes have, historically, not helped when I'm flaring. The only thing that gets me out of a flare is a good drug. When I was on Remicade, that drug got me 80% feeling better. SCD got me the other 20%. SCD wasn't effective by itself, sadly, but I find I do a lot better with it. I'm not expecting a ketogenic diet to heal my guts, but I think it will help and is helping me feel a bit better. It's weird though--because I'm on Prednisone, I don't really have a good sense of what else keto may or may not be doing to me because I'm so cracked out. I do know that this is the best experience I've had so far with the drug...
06-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #147
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
I think it sounds like a reasonable move, Paul. You know how I feel about the dairy anyway. I think everyone should avoid it at first! Good luck and keep us posted.

Have you ever considered weaning off the prednisone? It could be causing your upper GI pain?
Thanks, Charleigh, you are spot on. Every time I tried to reduce Pred was a problem but now I have this support structure I am trying again. 20/19/18 a bit less each day and I am doing the same with Amitriptyline to clear my fuzzy head. So far I have reduced but not eliminated the yoghurt, reintroduced white rice and some easy vegetables like courgettes.

The colon cleanse has really given me a benefit and I am sleeping later before having to get up to dump. More solid if no less frequent!

Before I say goodbye to the docs I just saw the results of my MRI which show thickening of the duodenum in a couple of areas. I have no idea if this is significant until I see the gastro man in a couple of weeks. Until then and threreafter (whatever he says) I continue with my new holistic approach. Seeing the nutritionist/ naturopath next Monday for another cleans and talk. Feel like I am making some progress.

Thickening of duodenum mean anything to anybody?
06-29-2013, 01:26 AM   #148
helena101

My Support Groups:
As far as i know, thickening in the duodenum means the walls in that part of the intestine are thicker than they should be (so the passage is narrower). This can be due to inflammation or scar tissue.
07-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #149
allbroke

My Support Groups:
Hi.ive been diagnosed w UC since 2006 but it is only now thought of joining here. Please anyone tell me about scd and gaps, what are these specific food allowed and what are not. I am suffering from ank.spondylitis, can't do much keeping my neck upright, seem will fall off and soooo much pain that s why my activities are limited. I observed my flares are triggered by dairy products, yeast, bread, gluten, legumes! Worsen my AS.,high roughage food scrape off my guts, are there anything else I should know? Been on salofalk 3 gms a day, etc, etc, always had protozoan reinfection, I wish to reduce my drug intake because sensed my kidneys are given up on me. Been almost on sterile diet, that worked to prevent infection for sometime now but very stressfull to maintain, flagyl is no joke to take, I'll get beat up. Because I have severe GERD and very delayed gastric emptying.
07-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #150
isabelle

Hi Allbroke! Welcome! Here are some links to check out if you want to find out more about GAPS and the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD). It's way too much info for anyone to be able to post about thoroughly here on this forum, but there are lots of resources and books:

This first one is about the SCD:
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/
The book about the SCD is called "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall

This second one is about the GAPS diet:
http://gapsdiet.com/
The book about the GAPS diet is called "Gut and Psychology Symdrome" by Natasha Campbell-McBride

There are also great Yahoo! groups for both GAPS and SCD. Lots of good stuff on the web. Good luck!

Isabelle