Share Facebook

10-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #241
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
Also, I have the Against All Grain cookbook and am quite turned off by the use of other flours & substitute ingredients. Does anyone have thoughts on those or experience with them? I'm ready to move away from white carbs and make some pretty food.
10-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #242
mvond5
Banned

My Support Groups:
Where do we sign up for this mentioned Thread? Sorry technology not my strong point. Thanks by the way.
10-18-2014, 01:29 AM   #243
Almondmilk

My Support Groups:
I'm battling my first flare of Crohn's and I've been trying a paleo/specific carbohydrate diet kind of routine. I'm 110 pounds, 5'3" and I'm doing about 70 grams of protein, 70 grams of fat and 70 grams of carbs. My naturopath that I work with she recommends doing as low of carbs as I can so I can digest everything easily.

I worry that I'm eating too many carbs, and sometimes I worry if it's not enough. my naturopath feels the more carbs the harder it is for my Crohn's to digest food. but then I think maybe it's too much protein, maybe I should try and do more carbs less protein and see how I feel. 70 feels like the lowest I can bare to do, it's like a sweet potato/zucchini/apple sauce/banana and I've hit 70 carbs. I should also mention in my Crohn's Flare I've lost 20 pounds, mostly muscle. I'm trying to get some exercise and get back on my feet.

It's like 25 percent of calories is from carbs and 25 from protein and 50 from fat. Does this sound pretty balanced? It's such a different diet I feel like I have so few resources to talk to.
10-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #244
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
What else are you doing to battle this first flare? I'm not sure right now is the best time to experiment with diet. Rather, I'd say it's the time to find safe foods and stick to them. At the very least, evaluate your diet for fiber. Fiber is the hardest thing for our guts to digest, not carbs in general. You'll see many on here that, even if they eat SCD/Paleo, have to resort to low residue in a flare. It's concerning that you're restricting your diet so harshly while you're losing weight too. I hope you're able to find what works for you!
10-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #245
hugh

My Support Groups:
I'm battling my first flare of Crohn's and I've been trying a paleo/specific carbohydrate diet kind of routine.
I'm not having a go but.........
........ that could mean almost anything
If you haven't done the SCD intro diet (with the elimination and reintroduction of foods, and the bone broth etc) then you are not doing the SCD diet.
There are so many interpretations of Paleo, from the caveman caricature diet through to well thought out, balanced whole real food diets that the label doesn't convey much information.

I'm 110 pounds, 5'3" and I'm doing about 70 grams of protein, 70 grams of fat and 70 grams of carbs. My naturopath that I work with she recommends doing as low of carbs as I can so I can digest everything easily.
I'm not having a go but.........
I agree with the lowering of carbs, (for SCD) but if you are eating 70gms of carbs from bread or pasta of 'gluten-free' cookies then you are wasting your time,.
If you are getting 70gms from sweet potato or yams then there is no problem (from a paleo point of view but not SCD),
Eat more (safe paleo) carbs if you are hungry (on paleo but not SCD)
There is no basis for limiting fats and protein in either paleo or SCD, NONE, especially if you are underweight.

You have some other 'diet' ideology that you need to ditch before you can do SCD/Paleo......

If you eat less carbs you want more fat, as you need energy.
All vegetables have carbs but non-starchy veggies aren't counted on SCD
If 'legal' foods are tolerated (after elimination and reintroduction/challenge) then they can be consumed. Obviously a diet based on nut flour and honey will be less nutritious and healing than bone broth and boiled chicken.

It is easier if you know what to expect and what the pitfalls are.
Is your naturapath familiar. or even better, competent with SCD and paleo diets?
YOU need to read up and decide if you are doing a diet of playing around (which is fine but you can't blame the diet if you don't get results.)
Even on SCD or any other 'diet' you will need to play around and see what works.

I worry that I'm eating too many carbs, and sometimes I worry if it's not enough. my naturopath feels the more carbs the harder it is for my Crohn's to digest food. but then I think maybe it's too much protein, maybe I should try and do more carbs less protein and see how I feel. 70 feels like the lowest I can bare to do, it's like a sweet potato/zucchini/apple sauce/banana and I've hit 70 carbs. I should also mention in my Crohn's Flare I've lost 20 pounds, mostly muscle. I'm trying to get some exercise and get back on my feet.
Worry is not helping so don't..........
If you lower the carbs you will (probably) experience a couple of things,
Low carb flu and die-off, -google them.
It takes a period of time to adjust from being a sugar burner to being a fat burner and this first week puts many off, they think something is wrong or that they are not getting enough of something, but it is normal.
As the bacteria die off you may also feel unwell, but think of it as 'toxins' leaving your body if that helps.
Neither of these should last more than the first week so if it continues seek help as it's not die off or low carb flu.

Gentle exercise – walking, playing, being outside in bare feet......

It's like 25 percent of calories is from carbs and 25 from protein and 50 from fat. Does this sound pretty balanced? It's such a different diet I feel like I have so few resources to talk to.
That sounds perfect but don't worry about getting it just right,
SCD is NO starchy carbs, full stop, end of story.
Paleo is (depending on your approach/guru/book) anything from 'Very-Low-Carb' to 'as-much-as-you want-if-you-have-no-problem-with-them-but-only-SAFE-paleo-carbs'.
It is unwise to try to have both a percentage and a total quantity in mind.
Ditch the total and eat if you are hungry, The percentages sound very good so long as you are eating enough and digesting and absorbing it.

These are good sources of information for SCD
The SCD Intro Diet
“What is the purpose of doing the intro diet?
The intro diet helps get a head start on clearing the harmful microbes out of the body by starving them while at the same time feeding the body nutritious foods that are easy to digest.
How long should I stay on the intro diet?
The intro diet should be done for two to three days, four to five days for those with diarrhea. Some people end up staying on the intro for weeks and wonder why they experience extreme fatigue etc..FIVE DAYS IS THE MAXIMUM."

http://pecanbread.com/f/how/introdiet.html

The Stages of SCD - Beyond the Intro Diet

“Introduce ONE new food at a time- a two to four day interval is a great (but not mandatory) guideline for introducing new foods. This will make it possible determine whether each new food can be tolerated.
This chart is based on the healing process that is taking place.
It is not based on a timeline. Some people may be able to add new foods more quickly than others. “

http://pecanbread.com/p/how/stages.html

The #1 Reason People Fail on the SCD Diet… and Never Get to Feel Better

“Only introduce a new food if you have been free of diarrhea, constipation, and other mental/physical symptoms for four days. When deciding what foods to introduce next, follow our phasing charts or the stages diagrams from pecanbread.com and step through them one by one… don’t jump ahead. When you try that new food, eat it for four days without changing anything else so you can know exactly what reaction, if any, you had to that food. Track all your symptoms in a journal or you will be chasing your tail trying to figure out what happen when you spent the entire day on the toilet!”
http://scdlifestyle.com/2010/02/the-...-the-scd-diet/

This is a good paleo starter
Paleo Autoimmune Protocol Print-Out Guides
“Don’t be confused and think that this is what I think everyone with autoimmunity should be eating all the time – I learned this the hard way by posting them to my facebook page this week, and getting angry messages from people who couldn’t believe I was telling them to eat this way forever! Instead, they are meant to be compliant with the autoimmune protocol, which is a temporary elimination diet (although for some of us, it can feel anything but temporary!). After the elimination period (I recommend 30-60 days), you can reintroduce foods, one at a time, to see how they are tolerated and if they should be included in your diet.”
http://autoimmune-paleo.com/paleo-au...nt-out-guides/

What is Autoimmune Paleo or AIP Diet?
“The Autoimmune Protocol is a diet that helps heal the immune system and gut mucosa. It is applicable to any inflammatory disease.”
http://aiplifestyle.com/what-is-auto...protocol-diet/

The Autoimmune Protocol
“. It is very simply an extremely nutrient-dense diet that is devoid of foods that irritate the gut, cause gut dysbiosis and activate the immune system. You will not be missing out on any nutrients and this diet is absolutely appropriate to follow for the rest of your life.”
http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmun...mmune-protocol

And this is a great paleo based carb allowed real food diet and the reasoning behind it for gut disease.

The Perfect Health Diet
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/

Bowel Disorders, Part I: About Gut Disease (read all 4 parts)
“These diseases probably develop through a hierarchy of causes:
Food toxins damage the intestine and make it leaky to gut bacteria and bacterial proteins.
Malnutrition impairs the immune response to toxins and slows the healing of intestinal injuries. This makes the intestine even more leaky and damaged.
Damaged immunity allows bacteria to penetrate the gut mucosa and infect intestinal cells, and to enter the body and create systemic infections including intracellular infections of immune cells. The immune response to these infections creates an inflammatory environment which makes the gut even leakier. The infections also weaken the ability of the immune system to heal the gut.
Entry of toxins and bacteria into the body leads to autoimmunity. Food toxins conjugate with human proteins and provoke antibodies against the human protein; bacterial proteins that are ‘molecular mimics’ of human proteins engender antibodies that strike both the bacterial and human proteins.
Autoimmunity leads to further damage to the gut and to other tissues, like the thyroid, which are important for immune function and wound healing. Hypothyroidism, for instance, promotes disease progression.
In its early stages, development of the disease may be accelerated by a long course of antibiotics or an infection that causes severe diarrhea. These kill healthful gut bacteria and facilitate their replacement by pathogens.
If we prioritize these in terms of damage caused, then ulcerative colitis is an infectious and autoimmune disease, since these two factors do the most severe damage. It is generally unclear which is doing the most damage. Food toxins and malnutrition continue to be secondary sources of damage.
On the other hand, if we prioritize chronologically in terms of the original causes, the disease is originally caused by food toxins and malnutrition and sometimes antibiotics, which cause intestinal damage and infections, followed by autoimmunity.“

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/07...g-gut-disease/

Happy Reading, and happy eating
10-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #246
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:

Worry is not helping so don't..........
If you lower the carbs you will (probably) experience a couple of things,
Low carb flu and die-off, -google them.
It takes a period of time to adjust from being a sugar burner to being a fat burner and this first week puts many off, they think something is wrong or that they are not getting enough of something, but it is normal.
As the bacteria die off you may also feel unwell, but think of it as 'toxins' leaving your body if that helps.
Neither of these should last more than the first week so if it continues seek help as it's not die off or low carb flu.
Do Gut Bacteria Rule Our Minds?
http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2014/08/116...rule-our-minds

Aditionally, if food toxins are the cause of the leaky gut; then why other people don't get it?

Last edited by Crohn2357; 10-19-2014 at 01:53 PM.
10-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #247
LewisS

My Support Groups:
Hey. Just wondering how those on the SCD diet avoid 'illegal' ingredients in medications such as lactose and rice flour. Those are two ingredients found in medications I take. I also stopped taking a multivitamin that contained sorbitol syrup, but I know that I can easily find an alternative multivit.

Thanks

Humira - Bi-Weekly
6MP

COMPLETE REMISSION ACHIEVED!!!
10-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #248
Pilgrim

My Support Groups:
Lewis - In the book BTVC, Elaine says not to worry if your meds contain illegals because you need to take the meds your doctor prescribes.

I've been on the same hunt for my daughter - found vit D drops that contain nothing else but oil. I may add back in a multivitamin (hard to find one with no illegals that a kid can take) later after I determine if the diet is working for her.
10-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #249
k_stewart

My Support Groups:

I started the scd last winter and did pretty well for a number of months. Over time, i seemd to get worse and with a stressful fall, my guts have been awful. I know it's at least partly my fault for not being careful and for eating too much honey and introducing things without being careful enough.

So now, here I am on prednisone and restarting scd tomorrow. From scratch.

Anyone have any ideas about starting while on prednisone?

Thanks, karen
10-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #250
lbligh

My Support Groups:
My daughter was on prednisone when she started. I suspect a lot of people use the diet to get themselves off the steroids, and stick with it from there.

After four months of little improvement with Pentasa and Prednisone, we tried the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Almost overnight, all the symptoms resolved. Currently off all meds. Bloodwork is completely normal.
11-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #251
girlscout

My Support Groups:
How do I join this support group?

Mom to 14 yo son w/ crohn's. We used SCD successfully for first flare. Went off the diet after 2 years on. Now in a flare and can't seem to get SCD to work again. Would like some feedback on what's going wrong.
11-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #252
k_stewart

My Support Groups:
Hi girls out,

Try looking at scdlifestyle.com. They have ideas for when things aren't working right. like foods that tend to give trouble or supplements to try.

Good luck.
11-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #253
Optimistic

My Support Groups:
Girl scout, I'm sorry to hear that and hope someone here has answers for you.

I'm also mom to teen boy diagnosed in August. He is doing Pred taper and about 70 percent scd (we are militant) and 30% EN. Hoping our good luck continues

May I ask if he takes maintenance meds, how scd worked and why you stopped?

Wishing your son good health.
11-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #254
girlscout

My Support Groups:
Hi Optimistic,

Here's my response about his maintenance - It's long so I don't want you to miss my question for you...how do you manage alternating SCD and Elemental? Isn't Elemental full of SCD illegals?

Here is the answer about his maintenance (and more)
He's been on 6MP for about 4 years. His initial treatment was 6mp, pred and budesonide. He was tapered off the steroids about 6 months after diagnosis, but he really wasn't feeling better and weight was down. Then he contracted Lyme disease, and had heavy doses of antibiotics for that. At that point, we began SCD.

The first 6 weeks were tough (low energy, no interest in food) but after that things turned around and he just got better and better. After 2 years on SCD (with 6mp as maintenance) I allowed him stop SCD. At that time, He was in middle school with all the associated teenage-boy separation from mom stuff that goes along with it. SCD became a major source of conflict. And, I thought he was depressed because there were so many social activities revolving around food that he would not participate in because it made him "different". (His perspective not mine.) Plus, he cheated all the time and I got frustrated making all the effort to cook scd for him, just to have him undermine it. Eventually we were going on vacation and after years of cooking on vacation, we were planning to say in a hotel for a couple nights (a first in a long time) I gave in to eating "regular". (I didn't mention above that he refuses to eat vegetables and fruit, so I always worried that his nutrients were limited and still are!)

He began to flare this summer after 1 year off SCD. I mentioned in my previous post that he is back on SCD, taking Pred and 6MP. His Dr wants to end Pred, and I agree because it's not working (again.) Dr's first proposal was Remicadee/ Methotrexate. We are balking at that, of course, so he called the other day suggesting (Polymeric ) EN (Boost/ensure). Doing my research today, I believe we could do a pureed SCD intro instead of Boost/Ensure, but that would be just the 3-5 days of intro, then on to introducing new foods.
11-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #255
lbligh

My Support Groups:
Cit, I am baffled by your claim that SCD lacks nutrients. I can't come up with a single nutrient that we are not getting in abundance.

We had this conversation with our doctor, who felt that we would be better off putting our daughter on a chemotherapy drug (6MP) rather than relying on the diet that put her into total remission almost instantly. "Selenium," she mentioned. WRONG -- seafood is a great source, also meat and dairy products. Got that covered. "Magnesium?" NOPE -- leafy greens, seeds and nuts, and fish.

The vast majority of "illegal" foods are not good for you anyway, and there's nothing in whole grains that cannot be obtained easily from SCD-legal foods.
11-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #256
lbligh

My Support Groups:
I completely agree about grass-fed meats, eggs, and dairy. Also wild-caught fish, not farmed. Better for your gut, better for the earth, for a lot of reasons.
11-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #257
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
My simplistic reaction to your situation is that he had heavy antibiotics before starting SCD the first time. Maybe his gut was primed for it the first time around?
11-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #258
Optimistic

My Support Groups:
Hi Optimistic,

Here's my response about his maintenance - It's long so I don't want you to miss my question for you...how do you manage alternating SCD and Elemental? Isn't Elemental full of SCD illegals?

Here is the answer about his maintenance (and more)
He's been on 6MP for about 4 years. His initial treatment was 6mp, pred and budesonide. He was tapered off the steroids about 6 months after diagnosis, but he really wasn't feeling better and weight was down. Then he contracted Lyme disease, and had heavy doses of antibiotics for that. At that point, we began SCD.

The first 6 weeks were tough (low energy, no interest in food) but after that things turned around and he just got better and better. After 2 years on SCD (with 6mp as maintenance) I allowed him stop SCD. At that time, He was in middle school with all the associated teenage-boy separation from mom stuff that goes along with it. SCD became a major source of conflict. And, I thought he was depressed because there were so many social activities revolving around food that he would not participate in because it made him "different". (His perspective not mine.) Plus, he cheated all the time and I got frustrated making all the effort to cook scd for him, just to have him undermine it. Eventually we were going on vacation and after years of cooking on vacation, we were planning to say in a hotel for a couple nights (a first in a long time) I gave in to eating "regular". (I didn't mention above that he refuses to eat vegetables and fruit, so I always worried that his nutrients were limited and still are!)

He began to flare this summer after 1 year off SCD. I mentioned in my previous post that he is back on SCD, taking Pred and 6MP. His Dr wants to end Pred, and I agree because it's not working (again.) Dr's first proposal was Remicadee/ Methotrexate. We are balking at that, of course, so he called the other day suggesting (Polymeric ) EN (Boost/ensure). Doing my research today, I believe we could do a pureed SCD intro instead of Boost/Ensure, but that would be just the 3-5 days of intro, then on to introducing new foods.
Hi Girl Scout. I know the mix of scd and boost seems counterintuitive. Our dr has been publishing on scd as well as En. He and his dietician recommended as much EN as possible, up to 80 percent EN which performs like 100 EN in peds, and then scd for any food. They gave us samples of many formulas and Boost is son's favorite for taste. He is doing s pred wean. This is in lieu of meds for now as a first approach. I asked about an scd legal formula and they were not aware of one. I think boost is gluten free but loaded with sugar. I hate to guess why it is allowed because honestly I'm still trying to determine which of what I've read is someone's opinion and what is based on something credible...I hate to be that person who further confuses someone else... but I will guess anyway! Could it be that in liquid the complex sugars do not need to be digested? I will ask when we go back.

In meantime I'd love feedback from those with scd success. Do you supplement with any liquids? This is so convenient for son to take to school lunch and to up calorie intake each day.

Girl Scout - the social aspect of a teen on scd is brutal. I dropped off food for host to serve him at a Halloween party. He was mortified.

Last edited by Optimistic; 11-04-2014 at 09:37 AM.
11-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #259
Pilgrim

My Support Groups:
Hi Optimist,

I have wondered the same thing about the Boost - it would be convenient. But the corn syrup, and sugars are not allowed. What we did was a little different we used 100% EN to put her in remission - heard the word "remission" and went into SCD 100%.

We had a fecal calprotectin score come back extremely high after the 6 weeks of EEN. At our appointment a week before she was declared in remission - so confusing - BUT it does take time for Fecal Cal levels to go down.

We are repeating the test in a few weeks. I will be able to see how our first month of 100% SCD has affected the fecal cal test. She is gaining weight on the SCD diet and energy levels are good. I have never seen her with this energy. It improved on EEN and then improved also on SCD so far.

Cooking for it is a full time job! But I am hopeful - so we press on.

So, if it helps to have an example (and everyone is different so just our experience) of how it can go on 100% SCD with a lab measure - stay tuned. I'll post in a few weeks when we have a result.
11-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #260
Pilgrim

My Support Groups:
Also, Halloween. She went trick or treating and had a great time. I "bought" her candy from her with a desired book in exchange. She had a great day! But, yes, not the same for a teen.
11-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #261
Optimistic

My Support Groups:
Pilgrim, I will be checking every day for news. I hope you and we have something to celebrate in these new labs. Regardless,feeling good is great progress.

I appreciate you sharing your journey. There aren't a lot of SCD success stories on this forum so let's hope we can add some!
11-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #262
baistuff

My Support Groups:
I am not a fan of SCD (except for maybe in kids where early manipulation of diet does have some evidence behind it,) but I do have a serious question about it. How can garlic powder or herbal tea be illegal because they may have a trace of carb or caking agent, but bourbon which is majority corn, or other whiskey which has a ton of grain (and based on the calories in liquor that grain is still there big time) is fine?

Also, bacteria can feed on monosacharides very easily. So how is honey or anything with glucose in it OK? How can one be sure those are broken down in the upper tract and none of those sugars get to the TI or colon? And also, many dissacharides are also broken down early in the tract, so why are those out? Would it also depend on where one's disease is located.

Please answer with science and evidence, not just to read a book or what it says on some website.
11-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #263
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:

Results: Seven children with Crohn disease receiving the SCD and no immunosuppressive medications were retrospectively evaluated. Duration of the dietary therapy ranged from 5 to 30 months, with an average of 14.6 ± 10.8 months. Although the exact time of symptom resolution could not be determined through chart review, all symptoms were notably resolved at a routine clinic visit 3 months after initiating the diet. Each patient's laboratory indices, including serum albumin, C-reactive protein, hematocrit, and stool calprotectin, either normalized or significantly, improved during follow-up clinic visits.

Conclusions: This chart review suggests that the SCD and other low complex carbohydrate diets may be possible therapeutic options for pediatric Crohn disease. Further prospective studies are required to fully assess the safety and efficacy of the SCD, or any other low complex SCDs in pediatric patients with Crohn disease.
Nutritional Therapy in Pediatric Crohn Disease: The Specific Carbohydrate Diet
Suskind, David L.; Wahbeh, Ghassan; Gregory, Nila; Vendettuoli, Heather; Christie, Dennis

Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition
January 2014
Vol. 58 - Issue 1: p 87–91

http://mobile.journals.lww.com/jpgn/...&article=00022

Not a fan
But it does work for some
11-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #264
baistuff

My Support Groups:
Nutritional Therapy in Pediatric Crohn Disease: The Specific Carbohydrate Diet
Suskind, David L.; Wahbeh, Ghassan; Gregory, Nila; Vendettuoli, Heather; Christie, Dennis

Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition
January 2014
Vol. 58 - Issue 1: p 87–91

http://mobile.journals.lww.com/jpgn/...&article=00022

Not a fan
But it does work for some

Like I said, there is some evidence in kids. This however, doesn't answer any of my questions.
11-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #265
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
None of the nutritional therapy mechanisms have been studied close enough to figure out exactly how they work and why.
EEN is a prime example.
It has been proven to work in numerous studies but every time research tries to pin down the "why" -it can't be proven( ie polymeric has as high a success rate as elemental )
11-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #266
baistuff

My Support Groups:
None of the nutritional therapy mechanisms have been studied close enough to figure out exactly how they work and why.
EEN is a prime example.
It has been proven to work in numerous studies but every time research tries to pin down the "why" -it can't be proven( ie polymeric has as high a success rate as elemental )
That wasn't my question.

Some of what is legal illegal does not follow their own mantra. Examples I gave above. Just looking for a reason for that.
11-06-2014, 12:15 AM   #267
Jennifer
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
That wasn't my question.

Some of what is legal illegal does not follow their own mantra. Examples I gave above. Just looking for a reason for that.
How about we ask hugh or KWalker? I know they've done a lot of research on SCD and there has been debate over the items you're questioning.

You asked:
How can garlic powder or herbal tea be illegal because they may have a trace of carb or caking agent, but bourbon which is majority corn, or other whiskey which has a ton of grain (and based on the calories in liquor that grain is still there big time) is fine?

Also, bacteria can feed on monosacharides very easily. So how is honey or anything with glucose in it OK? How can one be sure those are broken down in the upper tract and none of those sugars get to the TI or colon? And also, many dissacharides are also broken down early in the tract, so why are those out? Would it also depend on where one's disease is located.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
11-06-2014, 01:26 AM   #268
hugh

My Support Groups:
That wasn't my question.

Where to start?,
I did wonder about the inconsistencies and contradictions for a while, but stopped once i worked out that it is a diet created by a doctor (Sidney Valentine Haas) back in the 1930's(?), based on his observations that carbohydrates caused digestive issues for many people (he worked alot with celiac disease and digestive issues).
He didn't get everything 100% percent but it worked for alot of people.
(For example, eliminating all carbs eliminates all gluten so it cured celiacs but was far more restrictive than they required)

Elaine Gottschall, whose daughter was helped by Dr Haas, popularised the diet with her book ( Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet) in the 70's.
By all accounts she was a bit of a battleaxe (i mean that in a good way, strong and determined, not to be crossed) and laid down the law, not allowing any changes and making determinations on what else is legal and illegal.
She went back to school (at 47) and received a Masters degree in biochemistry and continued on with graduate studies in nutrition.

It is a trademarked system and it is not perfect,
It eliminates many things and there is no way to tell which eliminations were required for each individual and which ones were not necessary.

apparently "Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride has taken SCD and evolved it further to create a full protocol for healing digestive disorders and subsequent issues." and packaged it as the GAPS diet, which i think has some improvements.

I view it (SCD) as a good starting point since there is so much information available but would suggest that people move to a low to medium carb paleo diet ('Perfect Health Diet'-ish) if they can reintroduce safe paleo carbs (tubers and maybe white rice) without any issues.

I'm grateful to the SCD diet because it lead me to paleo and my belief is that that's why it works
We eat shit processed crap, too many carbs of poor quality, and inflammatory seed oils and it messes with out gut bacteria, our immune system and our health in general.

I don't even think that the nitty-gritty nit picking details matter, I've talked to people who are 100% SCD and eat shitloads of SCD muffins and just plain crap that happens to be SCD legal but isn't a balanced diet.
Put you effort into REAL FOOD (and in my world grains and seed oils ain't real food).

I thought this was a great post about diets and explains why i'm not as zealous as i used to be......
Raw Vegan, Blood Type O, Paleo, Low Carb High Fat Diets – what do they have in common?
http://paleozonenutrition.com/2012/1...ave-in-common/
11-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #269
baistuff

My Support Groups:
Appreciate the biography and the perspective, but it still doesn't answer the question. I have my own theories but they would not be too popular in this thread so I'll leave it at that.
11-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #270
Pilgrim

My Support Groups:
Your theories on the diet or on the particular inclusions you are wondering about? I think you should share your insight. Personally, this isn't a religion for me, so I'm open to hearing critique of the diet.

After reading the percentages of success and percentages of serious adverse and adverse affects with Remi, Humira, MTX, and AZA (we tried that one and were a statistic for serious adverse affect) on the pediatric population, and having a child that is below the age on which the meds have been reported on, we thought it might be wise to try a diet which is being studied - while monitoring her with labs, etc, to check on the inflammation.

Not defensively written at all, just explaining the lack of a perfect option.