Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Family History & Patterns of Inheritance

03-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Momto2girls

Family History & Patterns of Inheritance

So, my husband's grandmother was just admitted to the hospital today with Ulcerative Colitis. It got me to thinking about the family history with IBD, and wondering if I could find any research on family genetics.

Both my husband and I are Ashkenazi Jews (Eastern-European) and from what I've been able to read, that means Gracie is at least 4 times more likely to get some form of IBD. (I knew it was common amongst the Jewish population, but I had no idea it was to that extent. I have 3 friends IRL who have children with Crohn's and they are all Jewish).

Also, my husband's grandma has UC, but none of her children have it. But, her granddaughter, my husband's first cousin, has UC.

And, my FIL had UC (he was on Remicadee when he passed away -- from something else), but my husband doesn't have it, and his brother doesn't have it, but it looks like Gracie probably has some form of IBD.

So that is two examples in our family of it skipping a generation? Does anyone else with a family history have skipping like that? Now, my brother has Crohn's but my dad didn't develop microscopic colitis until his 60s. So, I am thinking that's different. I don't have it...and his kids are still very young. (Although he has a daughter same age as Gracie who is fine...knock wood!!!!)

So, would you say between our ancestry & family history, Gracie's chances keep going up exponentially? Because once I got to thinking about this I was getting kind of panicky.

Anyway, I am curious to hear about other family history if anyone wants to share!! Thanks!

Little Girl: Undiagnosed (scope 4/12: non-specific inflammation in TI & colon, gastritis & h. pylori in stomach), Asthma, Food Allergies
Sulfasalazine, Miralax, Folic Acid, Zyrtec, inhalers
03-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
There seems to be 'some' family connection with my son, Stephen, and crohns but it's a bit grey...

My mother's cousin has crohns, diagnosed when she was in her 50s. She is the only person in my side of the family who has had any problems with crohns/UC (or any other auto-immune disease). But, her father was a 'mystery man' (unknown) and she always assumed that if it was genetic, she inherited it from his side of the family.

My husband's niece (his brother's daughter aka Stephen's cousin) has UC, however, my husbands SIL (so no blood relation) has crohns/UC in her family - so that would be a connection for the niece but not for Stephen.

As far as we know, there are no other auto-immune diseases in his family either.

Treatment:
May-July 2011 - 6 wks Exclusive EN via NG tube - 2000 ml/night, 1 wk IV Flagyl
July 2011-July 2013 - Supplemental EN via NG, 1000 ml/night, 5 nites/wk, Nexium, 40 mg
Feb. 2013-present - Remicade, 5 mg/kg every 6 wks
Supplements: 1-2 Boost shakes, D3 - 2000 IUs, Krill Oil
03-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Momto2girls

Interesting Tesscorm! I am SO curious about this now. I guess your mother's cousin is a pretty far off relative? But it is someone...I wonder if that's where it came from?

It is interesting, the Ashkenazie population has a few different genetic issues so my husband and I did a genetic panel before we had kids. We didn't carry any of the biggies: CF, Tay sachs, but I am pretty sure IBD was not tested at the time. I think it was about a year ago they narrowed down on several genes, but it still isn't isolated, from what I understand from what I've read.
03-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Henrietta78

My Support Groups:
To my knowledge, no hx of IBD on either side. Although, things that my hubby has remarked are "normal, occassionally" such as mucousy poop are SO far out of my range of "normal" that I suspect he has a little touch of something going on too, but hasn't ever had symptoms bad enough to be checked out.
03-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Yeah, my mother's cousin (Stephen's grandmother's cousin) does seem to be a far off connection??? But, there is no doubt that there is a genetic component in Crohns - may not be for everyone but it is certainly there for many.

I think environmental factors play as big role as genetics. My husband has had a 'best' friend since they were three years old, grew up on the same street, same culture, same foods, schools, etc. Even since marriage, we live in relatively close neighbourhoods and their daughter was also diagnosed with crohns two years before Stephen! Did something in the environment affect my husband's and his friend's genes that were passed on to our kids? Or is it something in the current environment that has affected Stephen and their daughter?? Interestingly, and this could be genetic or environmental, this friend's nephew was just diagnosed with UC (the mom is sister to my husband's friend and grew up on the same street, etc.)

Stephen has a friend who seems to have LOTS of crohns type systems (for close to a year now) - weight loss, diarrhea, fatigue, pain, etc. but he refuses to pursue a real diagnosis (I imagine he's afraid of what it'll mean...). His parents have tried to get him to go further than the GP but he refuses to go to a GI or emergency but he keeps saying it's a bug he's fighting. There's absolutely no relation to Stephen but these boys did grow up together, same neighbourhood, same activities, etc.???

There are so many variables!!!

MLP or Dusty posted a link to a presentation that I found quite interesting. Here is a link to the presentation - if the link doesn't work, I've also attached the link to the thread where you'll find the info.

*Podcast Sylviane Forget: Crohn’s Disease in Canada: Environment or Genetics?
http://podcasts.mcgill.ca/health-2/s...t-or-genetics/

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=43002
03-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
there is genetic predisposition.
which means many people will carry the gene (s) in this case but only a few will actually have crohn's.
I think there were over 20 different genes last count.

One thing to keep in mind the genetic differences has not been seen between adults how get the disease and adolescents.

recently there was a difference seen between the genotype for the 5-10 year old crowd for some reason and not in a good way.

children dx before the age of 5 had the best chance out of all the population. no real explanation either on this one either.

you do not need a family history of IBD per say the genes are believed to be similar to autoimmune diseases so if you have that then there you go.....
just like food allergies - do not have a family history of food allergies per say but allergic disease (atopy) in general
03-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Henrietta78

My Support Groups:
Interesting, MLP. Can you just come live with me and explain stuff all day?
03-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes, I asked for MLP for Christmas but my hubby said it's to expensive to kidnap her in all.

[QUOTE=my little penguin;609057]

children dx before the age of 5 had the best chance out of all the population. no real explanation either on this one either.
QUOTE]

^^
So that's good! RIGHT MLP!
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
03-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
sector9

My sister also has crohn's.
03-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Interesting, MLP. Can you just come live with me and explain stuff all day?

Get in line Henrietta78!!! We've got dibs on MLP!

Did you know there's an MLP Fan Club?!? http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthrea...highlight=club

03-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That's right,,the fan club for MLP. I think I'll make that a permanent link in my Sig.
03-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
That's right,,the fan club for MLP. I think I'll make that a permanent link in my Sig.
You're just trying to kiss her a...s!

03-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
Henrietta78

My Support Groups:
Hahaha! I love it! Consider me a member.
03-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Momto2girls

children dx before the age of 5 had the best chance out of all the population.

MLP -- the best chance for what? I am confused...

Gracie is 5 in 9 days...hmmmm...wonder what this will all mean for her?

Tessacorm -- I will have to go look at that presentation. It is interesting b/c one friend whose son has Crohn's does live about 7 doors down from us. She grew up very near me and her husband grew up very near my husband. Go figure!?

I still go back to Gracie's anaphylaxis being her trigger for all of this. I swear before that she was totally normal. But obviously genes are not on her side.
03-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
http://www.iagh.org/Portals/44fa7561...afi-13-1-1.pdf

Background
ABSTRACT
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) may begin as early as the first year of life. The objective of the present study was to determine the characteristics and clinical course of children with early-onset IBD.

Opps this one says severe
Another one I read said the opposite - need to find it :grrr
03-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
CONCLUSIONS
The 6–17 yr of age patients with CD appear to have a more complicated disease course compared to 0–5 yr of age children. The 0–5 yr of age group may represent a unique disease phenotype and benefit from different approaches to management. Long-term prospective studies are required to validate these findings.
From
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3258513/

Ok I feel better now found it
03-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
OK, I believe the second one!
03-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
Momto2girls

VERY interesting!! Thanks MLP!!
03-06-2013, 03:09 AM   #19
Ands

My Support Groups:
No one else in our family has Crohns but I have type 1 diabetes, underactive thyroid and coeliacs and my Mum has underactive thyroid and Vasculitis. We obviously have a clear line of autoimmune illnesses!! No evidence of anyone else though, just me and Mum!

I do worry what else might come Joseph's way over the coming years........

Xxxx
6 week exclusive modulen
8 weeks predisolone
2 weeks azathioprine - stopped after reaction
6-MP 50mg - stopped June 2014 (after 18 months)
Currently on:
Sennoside 18ml daily
Multi Vitamin
Omeprazole 10mg
Prochlorperazine 2 x 5mg
Predisolone as a mouth-wash (as and when needed)
03-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #20
Jmrogers4

My Support Groups:
My hubby is adopted so we have no clue if there is anyone else in his family. When Jack started having issues that was the first thing they tested for since "dad has it".
I have heard that about the Ashkenazi Jews, we've always kind of wondered about hubby as for what we've been told is he is Eastern European ancestry.
I always find genetics fascinating. Now I'm about 1/4 American Indian although you would never know by looking at me, my brother got all that lovely copper skin, I got pale and freckles. But lactose intolerance is more prevelant in native american population. If you go by my family you could certainly see that - My great grandfather (full blood), my grandmother (full blood), my mother (1/2), myself and my younger son are all lactose intolerant.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
03-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #21
Twiggy930
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
No history of Crohn's or UC in our families but I have psoriasis and so does an aunt of mine.

Also taking: TuZen probiotic and following a low FODMAP diet (not very strictly).

Past Treatments: Prednisone, Flagyl, Cipro, Pentasa, exclusive EN via NG tube (6 weeks), Prevacid, Iberogast (20 drops twice a day) and high doses of vitamin B2.
03-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
No link to IBD in my family but plenty to mental instability!
03-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #23
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Never would've guessed!

03-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #24
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
Interesting to think about. Jae is the first one diagnosed in our family, but my mother had chronic diarrhea issues that were never worked up. I and one of Jae's sisters and Jae have gluten intolerance (not celiac). I'm convinced that Jae probably had her gene "turned on" after a bad case of rotavirus at age 11 months. It was after that her growth took a dive and she was first diagnosed with failure to thrive. Her pediatric GI failed to work her up for crohn's although she had chronic tummy aches, GERD and loose stools even at that young age... I think that fits with the "less severe type" theory of those diagnosed at age <6. She wasn't diagnosed, but I'm thinking that is when hers started. If it was a more severe case, she would have had to be treated before now... We just spent 12 years, instead, trying to stand on our heads to get this child to eat!
Osteoporosis, Scoliosis, EDS, Asthma, Lymphedema, Epilepsy, Hla B-27 positive, gluten intolerant, thrombophlebitis, c.diff, depression, anxiety postural tachycardia/POTS and multiple food allergies.
03-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #25
Maree.
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have a niece with Crohn's and my husband has a first cousin with Ulcerative Colitis.
It's the family history of this that has made us wonder about whether IBD might be the explanation for Liam's symptoms. However we are in wait and see mode in terms of trying to figure out what the issues are with him.
03-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #26
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Never would've guessed!

03-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #27
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This is a very interesting discussion. I am very interested in genetics in general. I have a cousin who has UC. No one with crohns. My husband has undiagnosed stomach issues his whole life. He has had every test in the book but no answers. Our doctor in Missouri said he thinks he has leaky gut syndrome which I understand can be kind of linked to IBD. One interesting thing, when I worked in health care I saw many patients who had Crohn's disease or UC. I always spoke with them about it and one thing kept comming up was that they had one parent who had had " stomach issues" their whole life but were never diagnosed with anything. I know this whole leaky gut syndrome is a new thing that is being diagnosed, maybe a lot of those parents have it and their kids then develop IBD.

Here is some info about it:
http://www.ulcer-cure.com/Other_Diso...t-syndrome.php

Crohn's Dx'ed Sept 08
Allerg Imuran Sept 08
Fail Remicade Jan 09
Methotrex Oct 09-Aug 11
Pentasa stopped - nosebleeds
EENOct 31 - Nov 28th. Too hard!
Retried Remicade Dec 11
Stopped due 2 Anaphylactic Reaction
LDN Jan 2012-June 2014 Got My daughter back!
New secondary diagnosis: Gastroporesis Dec 2013
Lost remission June 2014
Started Entyvio April 2015. Decreased to every 4 weeks October 2015. Praying for remission.
03-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #28
Sassycat

My Support Groups:
As I college student majoring in biology, I have been thinking about the genetics of Crohn's a lot lately. My mother has a mild form of arthritis and my grandmother on my father's side has a mild form of MS. I know that multiple genes play a role in the development of most auto-immune diseases, but I am most interested in why some of the same gene variants can cause disease in different areas of the body. For example, why did I end up with a more severe case of Crohn's where my mom and grandmother had mild arthritis and MS respectively. I am starting to think that the difference may be environmentally related (I grew up as a 90s kid with plenty of processed food and a very sanitary lifestyle), or it could be something to do with the different combinations of gene variants. Hmmm....Interesting stuff to think about. One day I'll have it figured out!
03-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #29
Jmrogers4

My Support Groups:
I hope you do Sassycat, one day we will be posting your papers here.
03-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #30
vtfamily

My Support Groups:
I definitely think you are on to something! I made a "family ailment chart" for our pediatric GI doc a little while back. We had run out of treatment options and I thought that if he could see a "bigger" family picture it might generate some ideas. Ultimately, since we have both Multiple Sclerosis and Psoriasis in our family...there is a better than fair chance that Tysabri and Stelara could prove effective for my son.

He had anti bodies that made him more prone to the PML associated with Tysabri. So, that was a no-go.

He just started Stelara. Time will tell how well it will work for us.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Family History & Patterns of Inheritance