• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Discharge and bleeding after rectum stump removal

Hi Everyone

I am new here and not dealing well with my ileostomy and subsequent rectum stump removal. I am 48 years old, female, and was diagnosed with Crohns in the spring of 2011. I had my large intestine removed in Feb. 2012 and my rectum stump removed in Dec. 2012. It has been almost 3 months since my surgery and my incision on my stomach has healed fine, but the rectum continues to be sore and although the swelling in the rectum has deminished, it still has days when it is uncomfortable. About a month after the stump removal surgery, I started to notice a discharge from my rectum and at times it can be a dark colour and I have seen some blood, not alot but any is too much in my mind. Has anyone else experienced this after their stump removal? I mentioned the discharge to my surgeon the first of Feb. when I went in for a follow up visit, but at that time I hadn't noticed if it was anything but clear. My surgeon is away on holidays and I have a call into my GI doctor but have not heard back.

Sorry for the long post but I am a little nervous. Hoping someone hear has had this experience and can let me know if I am worrying for nothing or if it is something I should be concerned about.

Thanks for your help.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Thread moved to surgery to get more responses.

Not sure myself how long you should be having problems, but others will chime in!

Pasobuff (or David), move this to the stoma subforum. Other members have been through this.

Last edited:
Hi peppergirl, it is common for this wound to heal slowly if you have Crohns. Something like 27% I think. So don't panic. It is a good idea to get someone to look at it though. I was lucky and healed very quickly, but I know some people have taken several months. Could your stoma nurse have a look, till the surgeon is back. They are usually very good and can maybe put your mind at ease. Let us know how you get on xxx

Thanks KazT17 for your response.

While I am nervous, the bleeding is minimal but still it is bleeding. I had enough of that before they removed my large intestine.
I spoke to my GT doctor this evening. He asked several questions and suggested as you did, that it most likely the rectum still in the healing stage. He said if it starts to bleed profusely, then head to the ER, but because it is not all the time and not much blood, to wait and see. If it continues long term then I can have it coterized (sp) by my surgeon. I will also be seeing my family doctor on March 11 and will also talk to him regarding this as well.

Thanks again for your response. I feel much better.

JennaRae had cautery done to hers not too long ago. Hopefully she will see this and tell you about her experience.

They told me up to 6 months is classed as a normal healing time following this procedure. My stomach incision was more of a problem. It is a worry when your not sure what's going on, but hopefully it is healing fine xxx

annawato

Staff member
Peppergirl I had my resection and ileostomy done on Nov 23rd and am still having my wound dressed every 2 days (although its nearly there, woo hoo) So its probably not too unusual for you to be still healing but I have not had my large intestine and rectum removed so don't really know about that area and whether the bleeding is ok or not.
Are you having any particular problems with your ileostomy that we could help with or is it just coming to terms with having one (quite understandably) This is my second one so I am coping well but the first time around it was a lot harder. I think its almost as if you go through a grieving process for the old you, plus having to adjust to a new body image and all the practical problems a stoma creates.
Please don't hesitate to ask any other questions, or even just have a whinge or cry or vent. We've all been there and all are happy to help, even if its just to listen.

Hi Annawato

Thanks so much for the reply. I have had my ileostomy since Feb. 2012. I am still having a difficult time accepting having my small intestine coming out of my body. That is not normal and I don't let anyone see it if at all possible. I feel almost physically ill when I am cleaning the pouch, and can hardly look at it. The depression (which I had before all this started) has been a 100 times worse. I feel like a freak and since my boyfriend and I broke up (he was/is very supportive), I can't imagine anyone wanting to be with me again in any type of intimate setting. Who wants to be with someone with a bag of crap hang off their stomach. I know that there is others worse off, but right now I can't get pass the stoma and having my butt sewn shut. The discharge and bleeding is just making it that much harder. I don't even want to leave the house at all if it can be helped. If I do go out during the day, I just don't eat until I get home so the pouch doesn't fill up too quickly.

Oh yeah, an extra bonus with this, I developed type 2 diabetes because of the predesone.

Sorry for the whining. Thanks so much again for your respone

annawato

Staff member
Whinings ok, we all have to do it sometime. :).
Being depressed, and there are a lot of here who have been or are - I'm on antidepressants myself - Makes it a lot harder to come to terms with the whole stoma thing. Are you getting help for the depression? Often just talking to a counsellor can help or antidepressants in the short term or long term can really help.
I'm sorry you broke off with your boyfriend and I guess it will be harder to find someone else, but only cos of the way you feel about yourself. Anyone worth having won't care two hoots about whether you have a stoma or not. So its you accepting that the stoma is now a part of you. I know its hard but hopefully connecting with others here on the forum can help in a small way. We mostly have a big laugh about ourselves, our stomas and the awful but funny situations we find ourselves in.
I agree its hard to get out with one. I don't go out a lot myself but mainly cos I feel so tired and achey all the time. This afternoon we went to watch the soccer in Sydney - a 90 minute game and I think I had to empty my bag 5 times. I swear spent more time in the loo than watching the damn game! Serves me right for eating and drinking so much but I get soooo thirsty!
Is the diabetes permanent or will it go away once you've been off pred for awhile? It really isn't fair to have to deal with that too.
Keep in touch and have a read of some of our threads in the stoma sub forum. If nothing else some may give you a laugh and some may make you realise you are not alone.
:heart: anna

I am on both antidepressants and antianxiety medication. I also see a Pychiatrist. I was diagnosed with depression in my 20's but it has gotten that much worse since the Crohn's. My exboyfriend called yesterday and asked if I wanted to go see a movie. We went to the 5:30 show but I didn't eat anything after I had lunch so I was starving by the time the movie let out. I still had to empty the damn pouch 3 times.

The discharge and slight bleeding from the rectum still continues to be a problem. I went out for a walk on Friday and that just seemed to increase the problem. Apparently the more active the more discharge and sometimes that makes it bleed a little more. Can't wait until Monday the 11th when I see my family doctor. Hopefully he can give me some since that this will end soon or at least that it is nothing serious. As soon as my surgeon returns from holidays I am going to call and set up an appointment to have it cauterized if there is still a problem.

As for the diabetes, they don't known if it is permanent or not. It is well under control but still get tired of poking my finger 4x a day.

Thanks for all your comments

How did the visit to your family doctor go?

When I had my total proctocolectomy, it took 7 months for my butt to heal completely.

I do understand how you feel about having the stoma. Before the operation I couldn't even talk about the possibility - I just broke down and cried - and afterwards it took me a long time to come to terms with it and with the fact that I would have it for the rest of my life. But I have gradually come to realize that I am far better off than I was for many years before the op. I have lived with it now for 13 years and it is just part of my life.

You are definitely not a freak - look at all of us! We're the coolest club on the Forum. :ylol2:

I had mine surgery 5 months ago and I'm still open a little. I've had cautery done 3 times so far. Burns a little but very tolerable. It works like a charm too.

Thanks Susan2 and Jennarae

Appt with my GP went fairly well. He basically said the same as my GI doctor and surgeon said, that it would take several months to heal. The bleeding seems to have eased off thank goodness. Gets expensive buying pads and liners but better than having to was underwear all the time. The as far as accepting the ileostomy, it just seems so far away that I will become accepting of it. I burst into tears just at the sight of it when changing the appliance or when emptying (about a zillion times a day it seems) and cleaning the pouch. When the doctors told me that I had to have the surgery, it was because they were afraid that the large intestine was going to burst at any minute,so basically emergency surgery. No chance for reversal. No one ever told me that it basically never stops running unless you quit eating for a couple of days. It varies from thick to watery and I empty at least 10 - 12 times a day. I am looking for work and I am unsure how I am going to have a job where I can leave to use the restroom several times a day. Also I tend not to eat anything if I am leaving the apartment so that the pouch does not fill as often. Going to be awful hunger if I am not eating until I get home from work!

Thanks so much for your replys. It makes me feel so not alone.