Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » RV fistulas/setons and PAPs?

03-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
napster

My Support Groups:
RV fistulas/setons and PAPs?

Maybe a dumb question, but is there any problem with OBGYNs doing paps on those of us with a seton in an RV fistula? Do any of you ladies out there have paps with their setons in?
03-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I can't see why there would be a problem. You could always tell the doc to stop if it was painful. I had a colonoscopy with two setons and it was no big deal.
03-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Sailorluna
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Its a good question Napster. Alli is likely correct, but I understand the worry. I have not had a pap since I knew about mine. I would imagine and test they do would show bacteria right? Wonder if they will assume an infection and send you off with a script for antibiotics.

Symptoms since 98
Resection and diagnosis June 2010
3 fistulas
abscess drained 6 times (so far...)
currently 2 seton in place 1 since 9/11 the other 4/14
1 strange small air pocket with an 8 cm sinus track leading into the great unknown
methotrexate weekly
folic acid
2 lomotil
2 Welchol
B12 injections (monthly)
Remicade

_____
Goodbye Humira
Goodbye Cimzia
Goodbye Azathiprine
03-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I hav had several apps with the seton in situ, the annoying part was I always had to explain what it was to the obgyn nurse. Although it was in the same office that the obgyn misdiagnosed a recto-labial fistula/ abscess as a bartholimews cyst. She was very worried when she pricked it and pus and blood spilled out. I really do get sick of doctors not linking other problems to the Crohn's disease.

: Janette

I meant to have Jano as my user name, but did a typo!
03-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
napster

My Support Groups:
Thanks all for your input. My paps had recently always had some abnormal cells, so I'd have to go back for a culposcopy. I'm wondering if the fistula that was forming at the time may have had anything to do with that. I also had a pap after the fistula had broke through (and before the seton) and afterwards I bled quite a bit. And of course, needed a culposcopy yet again.

This would be my first pap with a seton - since it's been 2 years since my last appt., I think I'll make my appt. and see what the Doc. thinks. I'll report back afterwards.

Thanks again!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » RV fistulas/setons and PAPs?