• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Odor from Bottom

My daughter has developed a bad odor in bottom in last two days. She has a seton and wound they layed open that has granulated in. She has been off Flagyl and Cipro since Feb 21st but restarted on Rifaximin yesterday. Nurse said it could be granulating tissue smell. All of you experienced abscess/fistula folks, is this new abscess/fistula? No temp and daughter says she sees some drainage when wiping,but I don't see anything obvious visually in her bottom. The smell is distinct as in unclean smell even after showering. She is more tender around seton.

Hmm... I suppose it could be another abscess but in my experience you can always feel them.
Have you tried sitz baths?
Maybe sitting in some hot water might help if there is anything which needs to come out, and might clean it up a bit better than a shower too.

Hi Pipmom. I haven't had this type of fistula or setons, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who has similar experience. I think the smell and the tenderness would concern me too, so there might be no harm in making an appointment to see the GI? Does you daughter use sitz baths?

sawdust

Hello pipmom. In my experience, the seton can move around and cause minor changes in its location. For me, this mostly happened early on and with my first strenuous activities. It did a little "wandering" where it caused a extra soreness. Odor seemed irregular as well, with some times more noticeable than others.

I'm not sure how much that helps answer your questions directly, but I wanted to be sure to encourage you to be seen by your surgeon or GI. I don't think it will take long for them to examine things and be sure about its cause. Best err on the side of caution with these things, in my opinion. :hug:

Last edited:
Hi Pipmom,
for me the odor would come with a heavier than normal drainage -often green. The sitz bath is a good idea or if more convenient sitting on a heating pad generally brings pain relief on my seton too.
You mention the nurse said it could be from the granulated tissue... did she look at it or was that a phone call?

Sailorluna,
Our surgeon is three hours away, and his nurse is just making suggestions. I fired our pediatric surgeon in my home town because he put her through torture and she wasn't getting any better. We are in a tough situation because of her age. We can't graduate to an adult surgeon and hospital until she is 18 because of insurance etc. Our ped GI is pissed because we went to a teaching hosp. for second opinion. When we go for Remicade and try to ask questions about her bottom,he says he doesn't believe in setons and won't help. We know we need to move on, but stuck for time being.

He told you that he does not believe in setons...? What an ass. Was he suggesting that she just should abscess repeatedly? Any chance of a new ped gi too?

My gi typically does not comment on my fistulas/seton. If I have questions it must be directed to the surgeons office. I don't know that you have to worry to much about smell. Fever is always my primary sign that something is wrong where the fistula is concerned.

Good luck, I hope you get your docs squared away.

Hi Pipmom,

I had a weird odor coming from my setons
a couple of years ago. My doc put me on cipro
And flagyl, rotating the two to keep the odor
Under control. Then I started taking a really
Strong acidophilus and that cleared the smell
Up immediately. I think my body was just missing the
Healthy bacteria, which must have ate up all of the
Smell inducing bacterias. Have your daughter try a small
Amount at first and increase the dosage up til what the directions say
On the box. Also, if you decide to go this route, make sure to ask the
Doctor and what kind is best. I do not take any refrigerated acidophilus.
It has really helped me a lot. Good luck!!!

When there is drainage there is smell, it is infection. At least drainage usually means it's not backed up and abscessed I would say. Heating pad or sitz baths feel nice. I wear a panty liner and a little round cotton face pad tucked in and change the round face pad frequently. Also, a natural wipe like Baby Bamboo is nice as it has tea tree oil and lavender oil in it with the best ingredients I can find out there.

I would probably suggest that if you think it is abnormal then get it checked out. It may be nothing but if you don't get it checked you will be worrying about it. Even if it is nothing, the GI may be able to she'd some light on what is causing the smell and how to treat it.

Good luck
Janette