• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

For the newbies -- an update :)

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Today is my birthday. And it's been a good one!

You might be wondering: "Why is this guy telling us about his birthday?"

I'm telling you this because last year was a very different story. I had been diagnosed with Crohn's two months prior, I was still flaring, and I was still trying to figure things out. I was a wreck, basically.

I spent a lot of time educating myself, through research and through a lot of the helpful insights and experiences of others on this forum. Of course, this can be something of a double-edged sword -- it's always good to be educated and to be able to make informed decisions, but it's also fairly easy to freak yourself out and convince yourself that the worst is going to happen. (Trust me, I know.)

Anyways, I'm telling you this because there's a chance that you, dear reader, are a lot like I was a year ago. Scared, upset, and uncertain. I'm here to tell you that it might take you a while to figure things out, but things can get better. When I turned 32, I spent the majority of my day crying and worrying about whether the things I ate would have terrible repercussions, or whether I'd ever feel normal again. Today, I turned 33... and it was one of the best birthdays I've had in a long time. I feel much better now, and although I didn't get there overnight, I eventually got there.

You're going to find a lot of valuable information here, and a lot of supportive folks to boot (who can relate to what you're going through, even though IBD can vary from person to person). Remember that people who are currently suffering are understandably more likely to post on support forums like these when they are in need, while those who are currently doing well may be far less likely to do so. I typically don't frequent support forums just to announce how well I'm doing! But I'm making an exception and saying something about it today, because I think that you should know that there are certainly people out there with Crohn's, UC, or some other form of IBD who are actually doing quite well or have achieved remission -- you just might not read about them quite as often! Please try to keep this in mind, have hope, and educate yourselves! We're with you!

Jesse,

you are so great to post this. Happy birthday by the way :)
I love to hear success stories.

I have great hope for my daughter, age 14.

come back and post again soon so we can keep hearing how great you are doing!!!

thanks so much

Happy Birthday, JDTM! I am so glad that you are feeling so much better. You have gone through and have learned so much this year, haven't you? I am so pleased that this forum has helped you. I really believe that this is the best forum on Crohn's Disease ever. Thank you to David, Jennifer, all the administrators and forum monitors, but mostly, to every single member who shares advice and shares their stories.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Happy Birthday Jessie!

Thank you for sharing your story. I was also diagnosed last year and can vouch for everything you have said.

It does get better. Being informed, having hope that things will get better and nurturing your body and mind, taking the appropriate actions to ensure better health sooner rather than later...it all matters.

Enjoy your special day!!!

Happy Birthday Jessie!! Thanks for sharing your success story.... people need to hear to have hope that things will get better! You're right about this forum.... lots of great info and lots of nice, supportive people. I feel at home here. :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Happy birthday Jesse and thank you for sharing your success with us! Hope you have a very long and happy remission. Also hope to continue seeing you around on the forum as well since we all need help from people who have been there, done that and who have achieved remission. :D

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Thanks everyone!! You all are the best. And really, the focus here shouldn't be "Yay Jesse," or anything like that -- I just want to give a little back, you know? (Besides, everyone has a birthday... I just realized that it was kind of a milestone of sorts.)

When I first started coming onto this board to learn what I could, my head wasn't exactly in the best place. I found myself overwhelmed with all of the new information and other people's experiences, and I became very focused on the negative aspects -- looking back, I know I was depressed, and I now know how IBD symptoms and depression can go hand-in-hand. However, I do remember reading success stories here and there, and that was the stuff that really made a difference.

So yeah, if there's any newbies out there who are reading this and are worried about what the future holds and whether or not you will eventually feel better: You'll get there. There will be ups and downs, but you'll get there! Just remember to pay attention to your mental well-being as well as your gut.

David

Co-Founder
Happy birthday Jesse!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for starting this thread. It means a lot to me and no doubt means a lot to many others as well.

:Karl:

P.S. Magnesium

This is such a great post! You are so right and I agree with everything you have said! :) Good for you! :mademyday:

PS: Happy belated birthday! :bdayparty: