• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Restless Leg Syndrome

Does anyone experience restless leg syndrome? For the past week whenever I go to lay down, I get tingly legs and feel the need to move them. I looked it up and it says anemia can be a reason for it. I was curious if anyone else had this problem?

afidz

Super Moderator
I get pretty bad RLS occasionally. there are so many different causes of it. I thought about getting meds for it, but then I read some of the possible side effects and it wasn't worth it to me.
If you do stretches or go for a walk before bed it may help a little bit. I also found taking a hot bath helps but that might be in my head :p

I get it but only after taking certain medications and general aneasthetics in particular. I can't stand it! After I had a fairly major operation, for a couple of nights I had it so badly I was constantly getting in and out of bed. Combined with insomnia and the pain from the operation, it was one of the most unpleasant sensations I've ever had and I thought the night was never going to end. The other people on my hospital ward probably weren't that pleased with me moving around all night either. I had to appologise in the morning. :p

I think there are meds that can help with it, but since I only get it so rarely I haven't really looked into that.

I used to have it extensively. It has not shown up for me in several years, coincidentally about the time I stopped needing infusions and transfusions. If you are seeing your doctor soon, check into some blood work and get it verified. other possibilities include nutrient imbalances (potassium being a key one).

Nyx

My mom had this really badly, and her doctor said it was due to anemia. She takes iron and hasn't had a problem with it since.

yip i had it for a while during my diagnosis period. Definatley put it down to low B-12 and low iron. When I got that sorted it went away and hopefully not coming back. It used to drive my wife nuts.

Tobyjug

Yes, I suffer with this from time to time - used to call it "my mother's legs" as she used to get it. I've read somewhere that this is recognised as being hereditary?

Hi RissalUP2016! I suffer from restless legs quite a bit. Mostly either when I've had too much caffeine to late at night (really bad) or when I have been inactive, sat or lying down for a period of time & especially if my legs are hot! Taking socks off if possible, that helps to cool down. I've heard that an imbalance of minerals could be a factor, but I would advise you to speak to your GP x hope you can find some relief X

I had another surgery earlier this week, and have got Restless Leg Syndrome from the aneasthetic as I usually do. But last night I tried putting pillows under my knees, and it actually really helped.

late to the party I know, buut add me to the list- usually when I flare the restless leg syndrome starts- dunno why misery has to be piled upon misery- the restless legs are very uncomfortable- it's a buzzing, tingling, vibrating-like feeling

Also get 'brain zaps' when I get flares- seems to kinda go hand in hand with the restless leg syndrome- feels like a sensation of slight electrical shock waving htrough my skull- loud sudden noises seem to trigger it sometimes, but they happen for no reason either- Yet another unpleasant symptom to suffer with-

Yes, they are all fine- just had complete workups- was low in vitamin D- like really low- 9- was hoping that was the cause, but levels are back up over 35 and still have the problems- I'm slowly coming to the realization that my symptoms are Crohn's related- crohn's aggravated- I did take a bunch of tonic water last night because I couldn't stand the RLS any longer- and took a magnesium, and potassium- the legs calmed enough for me to get to sleep- I don't like using quinine, as it can have pretty severe reactions, but I was desperate-legs are still b'uzzing' today- but not as bad as yesterday and last week- I think I might be flaring

I have had the same responses from most doctors I asked about it until I mentioned it to my rheumatologist and he said it was a neurological. That make perfect sense when you realize it's NOT cramping. I take a 1mg of Ropinirole HCL and it seems to reduce the number and severity of the episodes.

Yep, magnesium defiency was the culprit. Magnesium is also easy to get into the system via the skin using a spray bottle or foot bath.

I have not been diagnosed with RLS, but I have essential tremor. In fact it was my neurologist who first came to realize I was suffering from nutritional deficiency. She did not know why. But it was another thing to note about my condition.

I believe my ET is a result of my Crohns. As I get my deficiencies resolved my ET has been under more control.

I have it, not diagnosed but have it. I get it pretty bad sometimes. I have so many issues I haven't even treated this one.
That's how I feel. Have so many problems, so many doctors' appointments, so have to prioritise what I get diagnosed and treated, otherwise I'd never leave hospital. Plus I worry about being labelled a hypochondriac. But unfortunately rather than trying to get treatments for the conditions that cause me most distress, I usually end up seeing doctors about the ones that I know the doctors will deem most serious. Doctors and I don't have the same priorities.

I would also look into L-glutamine. It can help with nerve/pain problems as well as help the lining of your stomach. I'm trying it myself in the hopes it will help my fibromyalgia.