Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Medical Alert items!

03-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
Bubbly

Medical Alert items!

Hi, just wondering if anybody uses any form of ID on their child to notify of medications they are currently on?

When my son had is first infliximab shot yesterday he was given a card to carry at all times with him, being 14 think that is going to be tricky to get him to remember to pick it up every day!

Been looking at the medical alert braclets, sport type ones for him, just wondering if anybody would recommend them or any other suggestions please.

Thankyou all
03-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thats a great idea! What if you got like a dog tag type of thing? That way he can hide it if he wants to. (not sure if he is self conscious or not)
Ankilosing Spondylitis
Inflammatory Arthritis

Failed meds:
Humira
Remicade
Asacol HD
Cimzia
Methotrexate
03-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
Mylittlesunshine

My Support Groups:
Lucy has one for her allergys and now
Getting crohns added to it to x
We got ours from medic alert I'm in the
Process of getting one for me to now x
Folicacid
Iron
Dalavit
Calcium sandos
Dyclavlovin
Inhalers x3
Pred tapering
03-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Get the stainless steel metal chain one.
The sports band one gets gross when washing hands etc. falls off
Metal one stays on forever
03-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
Momto2girls

Agreed on the metal only one. We put Gracie's in her at age 2 and it has never come off. She doesn't even notice it. But she got the colored symbol and the color is peeling off now...3 yrs later. I am ordering her a new one and getting plain silver.

Little Girl: Undiagnosed (scope 4/12: non-specific inflammation in TI & colon, gastritis & h. pylori in stomach), Asthma, Food Allergies
Sulfasalazine, Miralax, Folic Acid, Zyrtec, inhalers
03-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I wonder who should have these?

Grace doesn't really have allergies that can kill her. THANK GOD!
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
03-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Momto2girls

Oh yes I forgot to add that Gracie's is for her anaphylactic allergy (tree nuts). I also have 2 other allergies on there.
03-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
O has one for her running and biking and mostly for identification purposes. There is an id number and they access the number and there is all her info. It is from RoadID. It is those rubber band things that are so popular these days. She used to just put it on for running but got lazy and just keeps it on all the time now. Hasn't gotten gross yet but easy enough to swap out the band.
Vit d 2000IU
Multi vitamin plus iron
Calcium

Previously used - Prednisone, Prevacid, Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate oral and injections, Folic Acid, Probiotics, Cortofoam

Daughter T dx 1/2/15 at age 11
Vitaligo, Precoscious puberty & Crohn's
Remicade
Vit D 2000IU

Previously used, Exclusive Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate (injections and oral), Folic Acid, Entocort,IBD-AID Diet
03-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Bubbly

Seems a good idea, as the kids get older, they want to be out and about with mates etc, and as much as i would hate for him to be involved in an accident it just makes sense to be prepared and for and emergency staff etc to immediate warning about his medication that may effect the treatment he receives. He is currently awaiting an appointment to have some teeth removed for a brace to be fitted, when i mentioned it to the nurse whe said it would have to be timed for in the middle of infusions of infliximab and to make them aware of medication. So looking at August time. Been looking at the sport style braclets, and the neck chains, he realy wants dog tag style but i do have concerns about this style for obvious reasons when he is at school, wrist strap style might be better, but will keep looking. He is also keen to go away on school trips, and has been skiing before he was diagnosed and keen to go again, and obviously we wont be there, so the medical alert makes sense, cant expect the adults remember every kids medication details out on the slopes!! I struggle with remembering day to day!!
03-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Devynnsmom
Forum Monitor

Devynn has the stainless steel necklace, it has her IBD info and her pumpkin allergy and epi pen info.

Devynn (12 years old) was *unoficially* diagnosed with Crohn's disease in Dec 2009.
That diagnosis was changed to Ulcerative Colitis in Mar 2012.
Pentasa ASA Dec 2009-Mar 2012 (dosage tweaked a couple of times)
Mezavant Mar 2012- Nov 2012
Sulfasalazine-Nov 2012
03-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wow, pumpkins????
She's the first I've heard with that allergy.
I shutter to think what Grace might be allergic too.
03-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
Devynnsmom
Forum Monitor

Yes, she's anaphalactic to raw pumpkin. It took us years to figure out and the reaction kept getting worse and worse until the year it clicked in and I realized what was going on.
03-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
We ordered ours through Medic Alert (www.medicalert.org) because they allow you to change and update records and meds online. After his resection, I was even able to add that he had a small bowel resection and no longer has his appendix. If he ever ends up in the ER, they will get that important info as well.

We got the standard (free?) bracelet that they offer kids, but he didn't care for the stainless steel link chain, so we ordered a rubber type bracelet from www.n-styleid.com and combined the two. It's water proof, doesn't get all gross, and is fairly inexpensive to replace. My son has "lost" two bracelets in a years time, usually in the rare situation when he had to take it off (i.e. volleyball in gym class, sparring at karate) so we have a back up bracelet at home.

At first my son didn't want to wear it because middle school is all about NOT standing out, but he came home one day and said he counted 17 kids with medical id's of some sort and even 5 boys wearing regulars bracelets just to be cool, so now he doesn't mind and wears it every day.
- Multivitamins, Probiotics, Vit D
- Small bowel resection, Jan 2013
03-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
there is a medic alert wristband to cover the bracelet during sports so - your child does not need to take it off or lose it.
Ds swims so no need to remove it
Five years and it has only been off a few times-
We love the records for all his meds are constantly updated plus you can add other pdf files.

http://www.medicalert.ca/en/members/...s.asp?typeId=8

In the US there is kidssmart from medic alert- you get a cheaper rate
plus PTA gives you a discount
I have never paid more than $20 for a three year coverage- I look for the sale then resign up.

http://www.medicalert.org/products/k...lert-kid-smart

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Medical Alert items!